Redpill me on Gentoo. Why should I install it? Is it worth it?

Redpill me on Gentoo. Why should I install it? Is it worth it?

Attached: gentoo-3d.png (1873x1917, 1.06M)

Install Gentoo

Yes, install it. It'll change you perception of reality.

yes

Depends on your autism level. Gentoo let's you configure and tailor your system to your specific needs, primarily with use flags and the kernel, which is really beneficial in older hardware. Installing gentoo isn't hard, but it can be time consuming

absolutely

how much time will it take if I install it in a vm?

Because it's going to be the only distro that lets you unpozz your kernel in the near future.
Still they got (((hacked))) so I don't know if I trust gentoo anymore.
OpenBSD really is our only option as a collective here on Jow Forums

No systemd
Fastest distro
Best package manager, .ebuilds are easy to make. Easily make anything a package
Easy to install
Choose versions of packages to install
No bloat
Can choose dependencies
Good overlay community

Attached: 2018-09-29-113631_7680x4320_scrot.jpg (7680x4320, 3.75M)

fuck off, cloverOS doesn't even work and who trusts "Jow Forums" with binary packages

He's actually using gentoo though?
>porthole
pleb

>7680x4320
why.

I finally decided to try it on my laptop. I see no real improvements over Ubuntu or arch. There were a couple of packages where setting use flags was helpful, like dunstify on dunst or xwidgets on emacs, but nothing really life changing.
The drawback is that installing stuff takes longer. Also openrc is slower than systemd.

honestly you should just try it yourself and see if you like it. source based distros aren't everybody's thing but gentoo is the absolute best one to use in my opinion. it does a lot of work for you thanks to it's tools and it's very minimal and bloat-free. takes some time to get used to but it's worth it because you won't want to use anything else once you start using it for a while

no, its ""cloveros""
its such a shitty distro that it automatically rolls abck to gentoo on your firstupdates

That's really bad.

>Why should I install it?
It's a good learning experience.
> Is it worth it?
Eh.

gentoo and arch are just memes. nobody can show me a single benchmark showing a video game performing any better in gentoo or arch compared to good ol' ubuntu.

works on a VM. never tried on a real machine though because of 'who trusts "Jow Forums" '
does it include binaries though? isn't it just a bunch of scripts that installs gentoo for you?

>No systemd

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-09-29 10-26-27.png (1280x720, 749K)

It does have binaries, which is why the entire point of cloveros is retarded

you're fresh from windows aren't you? the only way gayming performance will improve is if you use a distro with newer packages and the boost is so damn small it's not even worth it. you're literally wasting your time trying out distros if the only thing you're looking for is better performance

technically speaking, steam is only really "supported" on ubuntu, so yeah-- you probably shouldn't play a video game on unsupported software.

>redpill
Ur too retarded for gentoo.

Attached: this-is-bait-of-cellent-quality-27681140.png (500x523, 37K)

despite the Jow Forums meme it's not easy to install unless you're a tier 1 autist and reflexively read documentation. However much like LFS it actually teaches you a reasonable bit about Linux.

I installed it, ran it from 3 months (and yes got steam working) and then went back to openSuSE, but learned a lot about linux and Jow Forums. Currently looking at void.

>Also it's the only thing I've ever seen 100% 16 cores during builds.

nice digits and rebuke - is that the default now?

>is that the default now?
nope, it's a privilege.

It's not the default, infact due to gentoo being source-based it is completely your choice if you want systemd

how is installing steam an achievement?

Gentoo gives you more freedom than almost every other distro. You have choice and ability to fine tune everything down to the individual package. It's only as complicated as you choose to make it. If you don't want to compile everything you don't have to. If you don't like something you can completely exclude it. If something has a dependency you can try and build without it. The possibilities are endless.
You also get the added benefit of learning how an OS actually works as you set it up. It has the best documentation of any distro bar none.
Lastly, if you don't want to set things up yourself you can use the Calculate GNU+LINUX distro. Although it doesn't follow the "Gentoo Way" I believe choosing to go through the installation is also user choice.
>worth it
Install Gentoo
>>No systemd
OpenRC is the default init. However, if you so choose to be a faggot. You can use systemd. Part of Gentoo is the ability to choose and tailor to your liking.
>hacked
Gentoo has never been hacked. Full stop. The unofficial github mirror is what you're referring to.

Attached: g_gentoo.png (1426x1258, 304K)

I tried looking for a faggot-worthy gentoo package to argue that systemd isn't it, but I couldn't find any.
at least I have the choice though xD