Yfw the “dead” technology has outlived a new technology

>yfw the “dead” technology has outlived a new technology

Attached: 282F1019-1F91-422D-B3E1-66E7ED384278.png (1207x494, 387K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ArVid
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist–Shannon_sampling_theorem
wcpo.com/money/consumer/dont-waste-your-money/vinyl-revival-why-record-albums-are-coming-back
beis.de/Elektronik/DeltaSigma/SigmaDelta.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

i'm gay btw, not sure if that matters.

Is being kept alive solely by hipster faggots really living?

cd is not really a replacement
vinyl is analog
cd is digital
both have pros and cons

You have a vinyl player in your PC/laptop?
How many vinyls does it take to install Windows 10?
17016-17020 discs?

2 VHS cassettes.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ArVid

We're talking vinyls.

No.

Its not like you cant plug one into the line in port
I've even had one with a usb plug

but you don't need discs to install windows 10 anymore, just a USB port. CDs have been replaced, vinyl hasn't.

but it's like film and digital, film will last even after the current generation of digital projectors and whatnot has been replaced. because people like the aesthetic.

>inscriptions in russian on ICs
what, they had foundries producing ICs in soviet union?

both vinyl and audio CD are living formats
both have surpassed their replacements
keep in mind red book CD-DA has been around since 1980... the oldest variant, and the variant in most widespread use
also both surpass MiniDisc, etc

vinyl was basically dead in the 80s and 90s
it's far too early to tell if CD-ROM will have a similar resurgence

fuck off back to /ck/

Vinyl is only for hipsters and more of a novelty, it is basically a dead format.

no, because its not analog. There's no reason to "revive" cd's because a flash drive will play digital files exactly the same with no moving parts and more durability. There isn't even a reason to have separate mediums to play digital files anymore now that basically everyone that could afford cd's and a cd player can afford to have a device in their pocket that's connected to the internet via an lte connection 24/7. The only use would be longterm storage (cd's are cheap as fuck), but you can get 1tb ssd's for $150 now and that price is dropping by the month.

Im sure some autists will continue to use cd's because it tickles their tism and reminds them of being a kid again, but there's no real practical reason to play music off them like you would vinyl.

IMAGINE BEING THIS WRONG

in 2018 vinyl is as close as i can get to the original master tape because of the fucking loudness war and 5.6mhz DSD is finally good enough to capture it

Attached: b8fca928-58ce-4559-bf67-d474fee07b3e.png (1831x950, 209K)

I am not going to go through the trouble of getting audio from a fucking record.

you underestimate how many hipsters there are and how many of them want vinyl. Go to any pawn store, antique store, music store, collectible store, etc
1) I guarantee every single one will have a very large vinyle display right in the middle of the shop, probably near the front
2) ask them what their biggest seller is, I guarantee they'll say vinyl records

Im not saying it makes much sense, but there are 660000 listings under "records" on ebay right now. It is a novelty, but a very lucrative and popular one.

um sweetie someone has already done it for (You)

Attached: 1eac6ce98a0a460151329c35e38dc66f.jpg (800x450, 76K)

>loudness war
Only affects pleb Type 0 and Type 1 genres.
My Classical CDs are not compressed.

Vinyl is objectively inferior to digital audio in every metric.

>in 2018 vinyl is as close as i can get to the original master tape because of the fucking loudness war and 5.6mhz DSD is finally good enough to capture it
They are using the same master for vinyl as they are for CD, don't kid yourself.

this

I forgot to mention
>5.6mhz DSD is finally good enough to capture it
16-bit 44.1kHz audio is mathematically able to recreate every frequency from 0hz to 22.05kHz. So you are not going to get extra magical detail from DSD or vinyl.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist–Shannon_sampling_theorem

Attached: 1533883853032.jpg (1058x1455, 188K)

I can only imagine vinyl working for those old music that you hear on fallout or some old unknown band hippie music.

With modern music or certain instrumentals i don't want to hear noise. Want that filtered out so i just hear clean vocals and/or instruments.

IMAGINE BEING THIS WRONG

Attached: dsdresponse_big.png (800x533, 96K)

Your hearing is band limited, so it will turn the DSD, 192kHz, and 96kHz pulses into something resembling the 48kHz pulse.
Just because you can measure a difference doesn't mean it's audible.

Attached: 1524043850593.jpg (600x703, 245K)

IMAGINE BEING THIS WRONG

Attached: d85d0526-0b79-454e-8c6a-287d4320ef5d.png (1145x963, 84K)

That is a database of user submissions. It's not a high quality source.

There's more of a vinyl revival than that.

wcpo.com/money/consumer/dont-waste-your-money/vinyl-revival-why-record-albums-are-coming-back

>Blase says vinyl used to appeal primarily to older customers reliving their youth, snapping up Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Simon and Garfunkel, and other '60s and '70s music staples.

>But now millennials like Jake Dennis make up the biggest vinyl buyers, buying new releases from alternative bands like Imagine Dragons and The Killers and rap artists like Kendrick Lamar, even though they are streaming those same musicians on Spotify and Pandora.

>"It gives you a much more warmer sound. I just prefer it to the digital way," Dennis said.

Where were you when millennials finally did something right for a change?

Attached: vinyl.jpg (800x647, 51K)

Your ear can't detect a fucking 3 microsecond impulse, that's equivalent to 167 kHz

Mixed up the math, that's 333 kHz actually which is even worse

There's nothing exciting in owning or playing CD. Even cassettes have their own niche now. A lot of underground labels specifically put out their catalog on cassettes.

I don't think there is a piece of tech that has ever been abandoned unless the down side was extremely bad.

imagin actually listening to crap like that holy shit

/thread

There's nothing exciting in owning or playing cassettes either, unless sounding like shit is what you would consider exciting.

>nothing exciting

These two would beg to differ.

Attached: P1030617.jpg (1728x806, 526K)

The old systems make that funny sound when you feed them a cassette.

>My Classical CDs are not compressed.

Neither are my Reel to Reel Tapes

GET ON MY LEVEL

Attached: 5d8b8ef8-e57f-4736-8e3c-34dc813e4fb5.png (1574x780, 210K)

I still buy CDs. Fuck vinyl and fuck hipsters.

Good luck finding reels from good orchestras and good conductors.

Attached: 1529139728008.png (611x611, 350K)

Are you retarded? Right there it says there are CD sources that aren't compressed to hell. It's the master that matters. Not the medium.

A bit more reliability than a hard drive when it comes to long term data storage, which flash drives are not the best suited for.

Attached: betamax.jpg (3341x2106, 1.49M)

>vinyl hasn't been replaced
audiophile detected. Digital is mathematically proven to be superior to analog.

*accesses any part of the disc instantly*
*doesn't get degraded on playback*
*makes a lower resolution copy of itself onto you because it isn't cucked with Macrovision encoding*

Attached: IMG_20180924_130816.jpg (2560x1920, 2.31M)

Was next on muh list for posting...

Attached: TLPQrgy.jpg (2560x1440, 1.24M)

>2018
>buying a vinyl of a digitally recorded album

it's simply not relevant to the thread

If 16-bit 44.1kHz is all you need why are there 24-bit 192kHz soundcards.

What are the pros of vinyl?

To get shekels from retarded audiophiles.

Because recording and working at 24-bit 192kHz can be beneficial for editing audio. It likely costs the same as if they would have just limited the on board audio chip to 16-bit 44.1kHz, so why not?
Playback at anything higher than 16-bit 44.1kHz is meaningless, because your ears can't hear frequencies higher than ~20kHz.
If you push the audio playback's sample rate up, you can create more waveforms, yes, but those waveforms will end up being changed back into something around 20kHz by the time it reaches the end of your inner ear. By using a higher samplerate you're just increasing the chance of quantization errors.

why is the left weebshit a hammer and sickle?

>laserdisc fags have joined the thread
abandon
>Because recording and working at 24-bit 192kHz can be beneficial for editing audio
Only true for 24 bits. Working in 192kHz only introduces the trouble of having to dither later in the session, adds jack shit.

Incredibly common. But DJs can itch and scratch vinyls, so at least it has some use.

you have to dither in all sessions omg

That's just Lum sitting on the Moon, you dumdum
Damn right we have, pal. Embrace the ultimate physical format already.
Also, anything above redbook CD audio is overkill and unneccesary. CDs would be the best way to get lossless copies of music if it weren't for the loudness war fucking them up and making LPs the only viable alternative.

Attached: IMG_20180930_034203.jpg (2560x1920, 2.65M)

If water and bread is all you need why is there heroin.

You could throw them at people like Frisbees.

How do you verify that a redbook rip has no bit errors?

software like XLD or adobe audition that rips high-end audio can verify the audio

Simple: if it sounds good, the errors are insignificant enough to get fixed by the magic in my player. If it sounds bad, I return the fucker. Or used to, since most of the time I buy LPs now, most of the time they sell for the same price new.

Imagine actually reading about Nyquist-Shannon and the limitations of the human auditory system

Hmm thinking about this I might go and burn an audio cd of random noise and see how well it matches after being ripped from a couple of drives.

it's neat

>hipster faggots
If I didn't live in a shithole where importing cool stuff is bankrupting expensive, my hipster faggotry would be analogue tapes. Those big reel-to-reel recorders look amazing. And as analogue commercial releases go, a 7 12 IPS tape has a very good sound.

>Imagine actually reading about Nyquist-Shannon and the limitations of the human auditory system
Yeah i read shannon in high school but now many years later i read about the lack of quantization noise [PCM decimation] in Delta Sigma modulators [DSD] and it makes alot of sense

beis.de/Elektronik/DeltaSigma/SigmaDelta.html

I own a TEAC X-7 that i bought 10 years ago at funky used record store for 50 bucks. It is heavier than my washing machine and it absolutely AWESOME

Attached: 36fc2414-0c98-4a3b-8c66-3018a77ea1f1.png (714x635, 17K)

Quantization noise is a non-issue in 2018 unless you really have no clue what you're doing. Professional mastering and audio engineers will know how to properly downsample from DAW samplerates to consumer samplerates.

How else are you gonna listen to my mix-tape.

vinyl never died
it's always been alive in the underground
fucking pardners

this nigga hitting that pol shit a lil too hard lol

>analog source
>digital amp
Kys.

> digital amp

what the ? how old are you ? thats a RME ADI2 PRO capturing a high quality analogue source in DSD 5.6mhz [spoiler its a different modulation technique] and the amp is only there fpr the phono stage maybe UGH

> you give the world perfect 5.6mhz DSD vinyl transfers for free on stupidly expensie hardware you worked your ass off to afford. All they have to do is click on fucking magnet link and they still complain.

MAD AS HELL Jow Forums

Attached: max_digitisation.jpg (640x853, 136K)

by hipsters though.

Anyone with a brain knows that FLAC is a far better method of music preservation than vinyl.

>inb4 "FLAC is a meme"
not for converting to other, future formats it isn't

while we're at it?
what is the one and only true consumer sample rate?
44.1kHz or 48kHz?
>inb4 192 and up