Cooling a Ryzen Chip

Ryzen owners of Jow Forums, what do you use to cool your chip? Recently picked up a 7 2700, wondering if the stock cooler is going to be Anuff

Attached: spire led.jpg (474x474, 25K)

I use the stock cooler, but you'd probably want to get a stronger cooler if you're planning on overclocking.

The stock cooler. I didn't win the silicon lottery and can't overclock mine enough to the point where I need something stronger.

If you want to overclock that thing won't do so well. I use a Thermalright True Spirit 140 Power, it's basically performs like a higher end Noctua cooler except it's $50.

Sounds nice. I was wondering about maybe water cooling the chip, I was able to get it at a discount so there may be some room to get a decent cooler... That is, if it's even worth overclocking at all.

Hyper 212X because my stock cooler came with delta fan and I already got that 212 before the ryzen.

I use a Dark Rock Pro 4 on my 2700X and when stressing it it goes up to 70C as reported by Ryzen master.

I don't know if that is AMD's +20C margin, or maybe I set the fan curves way too low or fucked up installation.

Tell me about that +20C margin on the X chips. Does Ryzen Master account for that and report accurate temps or are my actual temps 50C&

I got a dark rock pro 4 on sale for $60. Probably overkill but it let me crank the BCLK

2600x I use stock, it just verks

I used the stock cooler on my 1700 before, but now that I decided to OC to 4Ghz I just bought a high end cooler.
Stock cooler is good for stock clocks and a tiny overclock too, but nothing massive.

kraken x62v2 on 1950x

I bought a noctua....dh14(?)--a giant thing with 2 heat sinks and two 180mm fans--years ago. I decided I may eventually oc my 2700+ so I ordered a conversion kit to mount the noctua (from lga 2011 to am4) . paid 14$ and got a nice little note reminding me that this 99$ purchase I made years ago was the last time I'd have to buy a cpu fan.

correction, its $80 not $99

I have a Hyper T2, think that will be enough? Right now I have an i7 6700 and it keeps that chip at around 55c under full load.

Max TDP for Hyper T2 is 130W and Ryzen 2700 is 65W so it should be fine.

Given 2600 OC'd to 4GHz doesn't break 70C on nT blender load it should more more than enough for 3.1 GHz base with 4.1 GHz turbo. Hell if you can undervolt a hundred or two mV then it would be able to cool it at 4.1 GHz locked on nT loads.

Attached: 2018-05-26-image-2.png (1336x1460, 25K)

But yeah if you plan on cranking it past 4.1 GHz 3rd party coolers would do a much better job.

Ryzen 1600 OC to 3.8ghz and I use stock cooler

What voltage?

H60
just works

Just checked and I was mistaken it's OC to 3.7ghz @ 1.237v

I've been running it for over a year now with no issue

Wrong thread, this is an AMD thread not an intel one.

Attached: aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9PLzUvNzY1NTA5L29yaWdpbmFsL2ltYWdlMDA4LnBuZw==(1).jpg (712x1435, 193K)

That's still pretty based given how this is gen 1 zen. Zen 2 is going to be fucking bananas on 7nm.

Attached: r7-1700-2700x-der8auer-comparison.png (805x392, 24K)

>anuff

>implying this isn't a valid alternative spelling in the esteemed American English dialect known as "ebonics"

Racist detected

I run my 2600 at 3.7GHz with the stock cooler

if you had an 2700x id say just stick with the wraith max. otherwise i use a d15

The stock cooler will probably be fine for in-warranty boost clocks.
I use a old h60 I've had for years on a 2600X and Precision Boost with slightly higher power limits and I get easily to 4.4GHz with the temperature being in the 60C's.

Stock cooler is plenty for a mild overclock at extended periods.

I have a giant 125w air cooler with no fans.

I have a d15
I could have kept stock, but I just got off a stock cooler that required me to shut my computer down and cull clean the thing every couple of weeks. I wanted a cooler that was overkill in every way it could be for current and future cpus and i did not want to deal with water.

considering after 1 and a half years, I just cleaned the cpu and gpu, and was able to do it without turning shit off, VERY happy.

Unironically, I use a Corsair H60.

Attached: dab.jpg (800x675, 46K)

in artificial benchmarks, overclocked, the chip can draw more than 180W. Size your cooling solution for your use case.

i use the stock cooler on my 2600X and it works just fine. i've been thinking about upgrading to a Wraith Prism because of the RGB.

Ryzen is so shitty you can't even trust temperatures readings
Disgusting

So zen plus trash top 4ghz? What kind of shitty Arch is this

INTEL DAMAGE CONTROL HAS JOINED THE THREAD!

Attached: 1 (1).jpg (600x850, 835K)

ryzen stock cooler is great, user. i use it and it keeps my cpu well below 40C most of the time. the only time it gets to 40C is when i'm doing video/audio exports

Maybe at 1.6V if you're a mong. Anything past 1.3v should stay uncharted territory imho.

Zen is heavily optimized for efficiency and performamce/watt which sacrifices higher frequency binning in exchange for lower voltages for a given frequency.

Attached: 1533928935037.jpg (711x800, 85K)

I have a 65w 7 and it stays ice cold with a h60

Noctua NH-D15 on a 2700x. Best combo

Hyper T2 is more than enough, the bigger question is will it fit AM4 and that's unlikely.

What a misleading graph you got that, why made that and why? The R2600 doesn't come with the Prism or the Spire, it comes with the totally garbage useless Wraith Stealth. AMD should be ashamed of including that with the R2600.

It's a 60 watt chip, user. The stock heat sink will do just fine.

You're better of not running your 2600 at 3.7 GHz fixed, why would you? set it to auto, the xfr thing puts all cores at 3.75 GHz under all-core load and you get 3.85 GHz under two-core load.

I don't use the pathetic stock cooler so it stays about 55C even if all cores are under load for hours, if you go near 70C it'll throttle and these figures don't apply.

Anyway, if you set your Ryzen to 3.7 GHz manually then you're basically underclocking it

Attached: ryzen2600.jpg (1065x688, 159K)

Several of my friends own Ryzen chips.
Out of those of friends, two of them use the stock cooler and are just fine with it; no crazy temps or absurd noise. One of them has an R7 1700 and the other an R7 2700. Neither of them has an overclock on their chip.
The rest of my friends with Ryzen chips (majority of which are R7 1700) have aftermarket coolers. They all either currently have or are planning to overclock.

The stock cooler is good enough to properly cool Ryzen chips. You shouldn't spend more on an aftermarket cooler unless you really want to squeeze more performance out of your system.

Look at the cooling thermal difference between a good bulky air cooler and watering cooling.

And then compare prices. If you're not going to overclock to the moon, save your money.

That's the point senpai, XFR runs on the higher voltage bounds to ensure stability but you can tweet it further. Some found 3.7 GHz doable at ~1.1V which is better than the 6 gorillion volts XFR would use.

You got memed into buying a third party cooler for being a dipshit now knowing how to properly ubdervolt. Congrats.

>. the only time it gets to 40C is when i'm doing video/audio exports

I bought it specifically to edit videos for a Youtube channel. Maybe I will eventually have to invest in a better cooling solution.

However, as mentioned, it can draw 180W when overclocked, and even then its performance is only barely better than the 2700x. Doesn't really seem worth it, might as well either use it at stock speeds or a mild overclock. I got a deal and paid $100 less for the non-x than the 2700x, so I guess it was worth it still.

Amd hasn't changed mounting holes for coolers for over a decade
AM4 is the rxact same as all previous AM* sockets

False

Attached: C5ZpQaOU4AIc51M.jpg (1200x1200, 235K)

Hmm
the stock clip on style still works

Because clip on mechanism is pretty loose.

Works on my machine

Cryorig H7 on a stock speed 2600x with Cryo's included paste. Dips below 30 when idle, hit low 70s during prime95 stress test.

Well, by loose I mean it flexible. Actually my AM4 cooler is clip on too.

Attached: RR-ACCY-AM4B-R1.png (200x120, 26K)

Clip size is the same, only the holes changed.

Your stock price is dropping, Rothstein.

I use a Cryorig R1 Universal, so I could still use all four of my ram slots.

Frankly, it's overkill on my 2700X. Just letting the chip do it's own thing, it boosts up to 4.2GHz or so and rarely gets above 60C.

Pic related. I regret buying it. This is a dual tower Cooler Master cooler. It's literally 2 of their Hyper 212 EVO towers linked together. I had a set of 2200rpm EK Vardar fans laying around to replace their cancer RGB ones.

Again I regret it. I'm/was a bit of a Cooler Master fanboy and figured it'd be great. The mounting is terrible and the cooler itself is rather mediocre for its' size. However it keeps my R7-1700X stock clocked @ sub 55C with the fans spinning sub 800prm.

Attached: New-Guts.jpg (3405x2912, 1.71M)

I have an R5 1600 and use the stock cooler, it works fine.

R7 1700X Using a Corsair H100i
I bought mine pretty much as soon as they came out, so I used an FX 8320 stock cooler on it for a few weeks. Boy was that loud!

Attached: IMG_20170314_190553.jpg (2688x1512, 1.01M)

This is what I use around the house. I admit to be a full blown Noctua fanboy, but their stuff just cools so well.

> R5 2600X, NH-U14S, not OCd yet
> i5-6600K, NH-U12S, used to be OCd with a beefier cooler
> i5-2500K, NH-D15, heavily OCd, gonna upgrade to Ryzen 2

I also had to wait for Asetek to distribute the correct AIO mounting plate for AM4, so I also did the janky CH6 AM3+ plate mounting support with a spare AM3+ backplate that I had.

Attached: IMG_20170409_155558.jpg (2688x1512, 961K)

Here's the two backplates for comparison.

Attached: IMG_20170409_154520.jpg (958x539, 120K)

>with a spare AM3+ backplate that I had
How does that work? I have spare AM2+ backplates but their centre hole is too small and does not fit the C6H's SMDs at the back

I use stock wraith spire on my 1600, it's quiet and temps are fine, but I suppose it will struggle with 8 cores under load. Wraith max/prism must be amazing, I don't see any reason to buy anythin over amd's stock coolers at this point.

70C when stressing 8c/16t CPU is something you can't achieve even on intel's 4 cores on air/water mainstream cooling. What exactly is your problem? No way it's 50C though.

I'm running 3.8 at 1.4 and I'm jelly

Asus Crosshair 6 has extra cutouts for the AM3+ mounting system. This allows you to put an AM3+ backplate into the corresponding holes in the board. The height is slightly wrong, so you have to make sure that you are making good contact, but it seemed to work well enough.

Attached: IMG_20170409_154416.jpg (958x539, 157K)

I'm not sure about other manufacturers, but the AM3+ backplate I have is pulled from an ASUS M5A97 R.0 Evo (which I burned out the chipset on with inadequate airflow on the heatsink)
I was concerned about the SMD placement, but it fit perfectly on the CH6. The square cutouts line up within millimeters.

I understand the cutouts are there, but the square region of SMDs at the back of the board is too large for my AM2+ backplates. The square hole on my backplates are significantly smaller.

>AM2+
Is different to AM3+

The wraith prism cooler was absolutely FANTASTIC but I wanted a bit lower temps to pursue better PBO characteristics. I went with a noctua D15 AM4 edition and it appears to work as well as water cooling.

If you're only running the standard 2700 and not the 2700X the wraith prism would be at about the top end of what you'll benefit from. Any more cooling than that and you'll just get slightly lower idle temps.

Attached: photo_2018-09-08_20-31-07.jpg (810x1080, 124K)

my ol' 212 X from Coolermaster is doing great. 55 degrees on load.

280mm aio on 1800x because I'm not a faggot, under full load in hot summer the CPU doesn't go over 55/60C, depending on voltage and clock.

Noctua NH-U12S AM4 on an R7 1700, running with silent fan profile. I love how silent it is even under torture, never exceeding 60C.

Chip?

Ryzen 5 1600 stock cooler stock clocks

I already had a Noctua cooler so I just got them to send me AM4 mounting hardware and I use that.

>less than 1 volt
I wonder what the power consumption is like for underclocking. 3-3.5ghz would work nicely for a server.

I still have an old Hyper 212 Evo, just got the AM4 bracket. I can OC my 1700 to 3.9GHz.

pic related on a 1600x

Attached: Noctua-NH-U12S-1.jpg (3281x2173, 534K)

Owner of 2700x here, the stock cooler is fine and I think it's neat how thermal paste comes pre-applied. Remember the arctic silver 5 days? Heh

>neat how thermal paste comes pre-applied
Pretty much every single stock cooler and AIO does this.
You only get coolers without pre-applied paste with custom air coolers.

NH-L9I with the AM4 mounting kit. my SG13 case limited my choices

Attached: 61RS5I+r-WL._SX679_.jpg (679x679, 38K)

Keep it in the freezer, just drill holes on the top for the monitor and keyboard cables.

Attached: hotel-deep-freezer-500x500.jpg (500x500, 16K)

I have a 1700 at 3.7GHz on the stock cooler. I could probably push it to 3.8 or 3.9 comfortably on a better cooler, and a 2700 likely has a little more OC headroom, but most reviewers have found that leaving it at stock and allowing XFR and precision boost to work their magic lead to better performance than the highest stable OC on air. Stock cooler should be fine.

Ryzen is extremely efficient in the ~3GHz range. Ryzen 7 1800, with a base clock at 3.6GHz, had a TDP of 95W, while the 1700, with a base clock of 3GHz, had a 65W TDP. That's a 32% reduction in TDP for a 600MHz reduction in clock speed, and I have been able to undervolt my 1700 from stock and remain stable.

>r5 2600
>prime 95
>stock cooler 85C
>hyper 212 65C
>mfw they don't make a mounting bracket for my hyper 612s

>80C on vrm without fan
fucking gigabutt. the heatsink is hot to the touch.
i suggest getting assrock or assus mobo.

haha.
no.
they changed it.
my cooler is useless now.

see

This for my 1950x. Covers the whole cpu and keeps it cool at 4.0 ghz

Attached: enermax-liqtech-tr4-360.jpg (1541x1080, 393K)

seriously though why don't people do this? I know it's retarded that never stopped anyone from doing anything.

Refrigerators are not designed for continuous operation, and cannot chill at the same rate that a PC outputs heat.
In short, PC 2hot 4 frezzer

I use a hyper 212x Turbo with 2*2000rpm static pressure fan upgrade, it barely keeps my 1700x under 80C. 1.363v @3.8ghz.

They dropped the price and even include a fucking cooler for the 1700x now and I feel ripped off.

Mid range Asus B350s had VRMs hitting 110C.

The clips are still the same dimensions, any clip style AMD cooler will still work.

Same here.
Me see pic. related.

Attached: pic. related.png (449x385, 28K)