/dpt/ - Daily Programming Thread

What are you working on, Jow Forums?

Previous thread:

Attached: 1537984876388.jpg (801x982, 162K)

Other urls found in this thread:

paulgraham.com/avg.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'm working on getting a gf

/dpt/-chan, daisuki~

Ask your much beloved programming literate anything (IAMA).

Thank you for using an anime image.

Attached: shot0033.jpg (1920x1080, 310K)

trying to do binary search like a dummy

haskell-book lad.
get on the bowserette edits.
also threadly reminder to install shen

why is bowsette farting on that large ball?

>not making an emulator for Boosette, best girl

Attached: 1537937833667.png (600x904, 493K)

>What are you working on, Jow Forums?
the courage to ask for MOAR bowsette!

>tfw microsoft created the perfect ai gf then took her away
life is suffering

I still want these answered.

Spent today on client code (C#/WPF)
Spent the night doing project Euler problems in Julia to learn the language
Then read up on J because it looks interesting

because she turned into a racist?

I made the last three dpt threads. Gonna spam Bowsette till Jow Forums worship her. At least till Monday.

Dlang is pretty

This is the most disappointing post of this week's /dpt/ threads

Well she was perfect after all.

you need to actually play games to understand why people play some games and not the others, to see how game systems play out in practice, to have a feeling about what makes for a good game

Just a reminder that investing time in esoteric non-mainstream shit is bad for your mental health

But, why? Normal anime grills are cute and belong in the OP. This fad doesn't.

except that she was manipulated by hundreds and thousands of guys to be that way.
you really want that kind of sloppy seconds?

You shouldn't assemble a list of topics to study, you should learn by doing

How the fuck did this bowsette shit get popular?

Pls no bully

None of those are esoteric

Attached: 1558556_orig.png (345x479, 202K)

Real talk, what's the deal with rustaseancs?

I got one at work, their obsession with Rust is really weird and sorta scary, like they fucking shove it into literally any discussion for no reason whatsoever.

Julia and J are meme languages

Rust is literally a cult.
why do you think they are obsessed with bringing in and catering to new people (Just like cults).

Nutting inside bowsette
or
Making a GB emulator

Which is more satisfying?

Attached: 1537936865866.jpg (1024x828, 102K)

why is this stupid character a meme?

Because rust it marketed towards people who don't a care about programming, but about being part of a community of 'programmers', being a rustacean is more like being in a fan club/cult than using the language.

Seems like it yeah. How the fuck is a bloody programming language a cult?

Before meeting they guy I lowkey thought that mozilla astroturfs or something

J/APL aren't memelangs. Fite me.

Because Nintendo payed a shitload of Japs to spam lewd drawings of him on twitter to hype their new game.

learning unpopular languages is a meme

My guess is that they see something in a language that isn't popular and they are really excited about it that they shove it down other people's throats, kinda like FP langs in /dpt/

Rust isn't even the first language to do the memory safety gimmick. And it sort of half-asses it compared to others

Can a Java application know if you are using a VPN or not?
So ugh I have to work for this league of legends boosting company (log in to other peoples account and win games for them for money).
The company uses a java client thing that you log in get the jobs available from. They also say it detects if the one doing the job is using VPN so we should use VPN. I'm thinking this is a bluff to make people use it.

Julia just hit v1.0 and its already way ahead of python, which it's aiming to replace e in terms of performance, libraries and language features. It's still to young to call it a meme.

Right right. But consider the following scenario:

func main() {
model := model{ name: "123" }
saveToPostgresDb(model)
saveToMongoDb(model)
saveToFlatFile(model)

It's ugly too, but keep in mind a lot of meme langs and langs forced upon others haven't done anything new, they are just a reimagining of another language that includes concepts from others, and mixed in such a way that it holds higher value to them over other langs

all young languages are memes, even if they're good
being a programmer isn't about being a hipster it's about being practical, you aren't getting anywhere using some up-and-coming language nobody gives a shit about

>just hit v1.0
Then its status now means nothing

Daily reminder that NoSQL rose quickly and died even quicker. You can only judge a lang's success after years of it being alive

What the fuck is this post even

>they will never understand the joys of lyrical programming
Once you learn to think in terms of arrays (or streams à la FACT), you can't quite go back.

That's what I said.

>lmao just use Sepples and Java
>because uh the INDUSTRY uses them that's why!
>the industry is always right!
>don't you want to be a code monkey too?

So anything other than C++, Java and JavaScript?

because they're well supported, well documented, well tested and aren't going away any time soon
all the things you actually want out of a programming language
you idiots think picking a programming language is about being trendy

and also completely unpleasant to work in.

He's clearly just reiterating that like a lot of new languages that are hyped by people because they're new and solves some issues they have (even though they don't realize it could introduce new ones), a new language can easily lose all hype

Being practical means developing in an ecosystem that has stood the test of time

>already way ahead of python
It's only v1.0. Hasn't stood the test of time, and you can't say way ahead in terms of performance because a ton of languages, even new ones are like that
>too young to call a meme
I don't really call languages memes.

php >>>>>> c++ in term of popularity.

this is so overstated
everyones like "language X is so horrible to work in and it hurts my feelings" and then they make their own clone of language X which is exactly the same with a few trivial things that are different then they try and convince everyone else to use it
now there's hundreds of new languages nobody will ever use

Welcome to the thread grandpa

a thread powered by php ( ̄︶ ̄)

oh boy
lets talk php, shall we?

I loathed writing sepples.
i loathed managing and extending programs.
every new header and source i had to make just to accomplish one thing made me feel like shit.
Then i found D, and it's like a crazy alternate universe where C++ actually progressed properly. And then i enjoyed programming again.
It's not overstated at all, C++ and Java are fucking awful to write and work with. Only deluded, soul-less wagies such as yourself think otherwise.

This. Sometimes when I see a new language on /dpt/ I skim its basics and it's basically the same as another language, except it could just use basic constructs/helper scripts to automate their slight changes from the original language

D has at least been around for more than a year
and I loathe C++ too

whats a comfy scripting language that isn't python

I mean

Would you pass an opportunity to work on a brand new, no legacy, interesting, modern C++ project with a competent team and leadership?

Attached: sdergtyukijl.png (1055x599, 23K)

it doesn't exist user

unironically perl

lua

I use D for scripting unsarcastically
or this

So has pretty much every other major new-lang.
yes i would.
I intend to never have to touch sepples ever again.
And I think D and every other language is wasting time attempting to interop with it.

just python really, its ecosystem is so huge you could stay in the lang and script anything for a long time until you need performance, then you write in C and make it callable, rinse and repeat

>And I think D and every other language is wasting time attempting to interop with it.
Yeah languages that nobody uses shouldn't interface with languages that everyone uses, what a dumb idea

>buh muh vidyuh gaymes
All gaymen faggots need to be kicked out of CS.

C++ and Java are still memelangs, what yall on about? Go too as well

C is master race

Just use Julia and pycal to get all the libraries python has in Julia.

paulgraham.com/avg.html

Lads, easiest or quickest way to become proficient with Python? I want to stick it on my CV.

Attached: 1537899256888.jpg (683x960, 125K)

i want to fucking die /dpt/

I know all the fucking concepts behind preemptive multitasking. I know how ARM does priveleged and non-priveleged modes, and I know what instruction calls the priveleged mode interrupt. I know how to make an RTOS and i want to make one but these shitty fucking emulators and gdb are retarded and buggy and useless and nothing fucking works and I can't ever tell if it's my fault or the shitty gay fucking emulator not doing its job right. I do this shit for a fucking living but the moment I go home and want to do it for fun it's fucking impossible. I'm afraid to buy a demo board because then I'm not gonna be able to figure out j-link or something and then it's just gonna be a waste of money

I've got a website template coded in php/js/css and probably some other stuff and there are a few menu options I want to entirely get rid of, but I can't figure out how to, admincp doesn't allow it

inspecting the elements I want to remove points me to a few .js files but I can't find any references to them being displayed, instead finding the "how it works" code.

I've worked my way through the stylesheets and the index pages and I can't find what I'm looking for either

help a shitty backend nigga out

I'm writing a client library for BitTorrent's DHT in Clojure. I hope to publish this weekend.

any lisp

Don't compare Lisp to another shitty C++ clone with more compilers than users

>use julia
>look at github
>older than 4 years
>v1.0.0
I'd rather not

JavaScript rocks!

Porting C++ to D by hand is really not that bad. They share a lot of similar syntax. It's only when you get into template wank you'll probably want to make simple tools to do it for you. But having it as a part of the language itself is bloat.

Its main website + programming challenge sites like hackerrank, then attempt some challenging personal projects

Maybe search for just the filename without the extension? or if the filename looks constructed, searching for parts of it? Otherwise it's a very open question and you're using PHP so you're going to have a bad time regardless

Shit negroids, if you're telling me you love bowsette over checkpoint-tan, you are having real delusions

Attached: 1537902666359.jpg (500x760, 334K)

Your missing out.

I'm kidding. If I can do that and considering it's performant, I'll give it a look soon

addendum:
has anyone ever used QEMU for bare-metal ARM stuff? is it always this profoundly fucking unhelpful? I don't even know if/what I'm doing wrong because it prints a stacktrace without showing the contents of the core registers, then says something like "invalid instruction" even though it's literally just a thumb move instruction on an emulated Cortex-M3. I don't know what the fuck to do.

Attached: 1538075216524.jpg (624x950, 145K)

the file is app.js actually, I've been trying to look out for references to these items fucking everywhere
this sucks

what kind of virgin would name a programming language after a woman?

where can I start to learn about microservices, distributed and scalable systems? could I get recommendations of books and papers? I really didn't want to read boring theoretical textbooks about it, I'd rather read books that has a mixed approach that teaches the necessary theory and applies it to real-world examples

>app.js
Looks like a build target, what build process does the project use? Look for a .json in the root folder, maybe it'll point to that

When is /dpt/ gonna make CHAD, the programming language?

now I know what I'm calling mine

>Julia is a scripting language
>Chad will be the systems language that becomes superior to C++, Java, Go, C#, etc

pic related

Attached: root.png (418x257, 10K)

Well if the readme/help text files don't show a hint, it's really hard to tell you user, I'm sorry

>PHP and Windows
I'm really sorry

also the theme folder, probably relevant

Attached: theme.png (345x194, 3K)

well, thanks anyways
I'll go off myself at once

I've used it for toy programs (i.e. managed to setup my vtor, bss and data correctly, and jumped to main, etc...).
There's just not much to do with it without the full peripheral support you'd have on an actual uC.
I've looked into the actual QEMU arm-cortex source but it was just too messy to bother.

What emulator will get me the ladies?

Don't emulate. Ladies only get wet for hardware.

Lady emulator