Fedora OS

Why don't you use this operating system, Jow Forums?
If you do, do you use rawhide or stable?
Some say it's slow but a netinstall with nothing added makes it fast enough for me.

----
On a semi-relevant note which is not relevant for the OS itself: I can't get the microcode to update normally even after I've run dnf update microcode (and it says it's been updated), and updating from BIOS fails. Is my PC fucked despite it booting in safe mode, and Fedora having SELinux? Is the error just a bug?

Attached: fedora.png (1200x630, 44K)

It's just boring
That's why

Fedora a beta test program for redhat. Why would I use that as my workstation without being paid?

What's a fun distro for you?
I myself don't want to use an unstable one that breaks all the time just to fix it for the same results I'd get from fedora.

If you are not a developer you won't get paid for using any other distro too, though.

What exactly are you beta testing for RHEL, when Fedora is all about bleeding edge and RHEL is all about stable software?

I thought we had this thread yesterday... its a cool distro, but it should be feature rich out of the box, and its not.

Redhat wants you to test new features for them in Fedora so it'll be mature when it gets to RHEL. Users of Fedora are essentially guinea pigs for the next RHEL version.
>If you are not a developer you won't get paid for using any other distro too, though.
Nobody gets paid to use a distro unless they're an employee. When I used Fedora, upgrading every 6 months was a huge pain and something always broke. At some point its not worth the hassle.

What the fuck is supposed to be entertaining about an operating system? If you wanted entertained, tune into the TV, or play games or some shit. An operating system should just run and work. If you're spending your time ricing your OS and fixing shit that breaks you're either unemployed, or employed in IT as tech support.

because I already use the CHAD distro

Attached: 1521024054967.png (602x500, 43K)

>Users of Fedora are essentially guinea pigs for the next RHEL version.
Just like you are always the guinea pig of your distro's next version.

I just installed it today. It's like an unshited Ubuntu. Since it mantains just 2 releases at a time it is up to date and the package have nice quality/stability. It is the sane bleeding edge distro, more so than Ubuntu or tumbleweed. First one because it breaks thanks to pajeet devs (except LTS sometimes) and tumbleweed because is so small.
what the fuck? what did he mean by this, he unironically wants its system to either be outdated or broken? lmao

you know there is a red hat beta in which they test shit right?

This. Fedora is just the unfucked Ubuntu. (Please do not jinx it)

i used rawhide for a while its good but not autistic enough

it makes using anything from rpmfusion a pain though. i tried 27 and 28 and both of them could play non-free video formats but firefox refused to stream them. i never figured it out before i went back to debian, which is the actual unfucked ubuntu.

but, Ubuntu is the unfucked Debian.....
damn linux sucks ass

sudo dnf install ffmpeg gstreamer-plugins-espeak gstreamer1 gstreamer1-libav gstreamer1-plugin-openh264 gstreamer1-plugins-bad-free gstreamer1-plugins-bad-free-extras gstreamer1-plugins-bad-freeworld gstreamer1-plugins-bad-nonfree gstreamer1-plugins-base gstreamer1-plugins-entrans gstreamer1-plugins-fc gstreamer1-plugins-good gstreamer1-plugins-good-extras gstreamer1-plugins-ugly gstreamer1-plugins-ugly-free gstreamer1-vaapi mozilla-openh264

this, based nix repository

Boring and weird
Let's associate ourselves more with fedora tipping neckbeards even more by using an os called fedora
Pass

i'm pretty sure i missed the mozilla-openh264 when i tried it, i only remember gstreamer-*. they should really just pull all that shit when i dnf ffmpeg. going full freetard is cool, but it's really counter-productive for the majority of users.

What you've literally said is "it works and that bothers me".

Go take your fucking ritalin and get back to Arch.

i dont see any reason to run it over debian which im familiar with

I want to run a rolling release that isn't explicitly a development/testing branch.

That said, if I ever wanted to run a point release distro instead, Fedora would be the clear choice. It's a very good distro.

Most bloated and slowest distro.

Had the same problem
Used chrome cause lazy

Isn't CentOS more stable?

yes, as RHEL. but also older

I use Arch

rawhide seems pointless unless you are a fedora dev

ubuntu is the fucked debian

Attached: ml75tui31ht01.jpg (480x360, 20K)

So stable vs. testing or sid?

Frankendeb here - some stuff from kali repos (never kernel) and likewise from testing (never sid). Used centos years aog in production, moved back to deb but I'm actually looking at centos as daily driver.

Attached: Don't.Look.Joe.jpg (3527x2356, 1.33M)

I litterally just installed it. I do prefer the stability of Solus more then any other.

Testing and sid is not so much like Fedora, Fedora is noy literally a test bed for RHEL in the same way as testing and sid is, Debian stable and sid are mantained by the same people, is just that they separate the package on how much they are tested, they never have the priority to make testing or sid work. Instead Fedora mantains the packages so that they work for the users, devs aren't meant to develop anything but Fedora. Sure, Red Hat devs will pick packages from Fedora, but they already have their hidden beta release which is not released for the public, or it is sometimes, 7.5 was a free beta before being released, which Fedora is not.
I unironically use a red hat developer subscription, it's meant to be a copy of RHEL for personal use, same updates, same binaries; you just don't get an admin to call if something breaks. It's more updated than CentOS, at this point I would use CentOS if I were more autistic about not needing a subscription. But read the CentOS documentation, you install some stuff for being able to play multimedia, and it just works once installed. Beware if you have a problem it might be because they don't patched linux for your machine. You have to understand how they manage the kernel package, they currently use as base 3.10, but they have patched a lot of features from newer kernels, last update fixed a problem with suspension with my laptop and some obscure laptops running haswell. But that was abnormal, was currently patched on 4.4 Kernel I guess. So, if you get some kind of hardware problem use a newer kernel, you can use a vanilla linux kernel from the EPEL repo, which is mantained by fedora, or I think it was another repo called 'elrepo'. It's on the recommended repositories on centos so don't worry. It sounds all hacky but is really very stable. Is way better than running frankendeb, and I've been there too. This repos don't overlap

>betatesting NSA/SELinux for free
Fuck off statecuck

Cheers for that.

>Is way better than running frankendeb, and I've been there too.
I know, I know *hangs head in shame*. Needed stuff from kali for work and cba compiling.

you should not have problems running kali on a 20GB partition, only stuff I've used which is on kali but also on debian is hashcat and aircrack for leet wpa cracking

>tumbleweed because is so small.
Name some packages you'd need but can't get from an OpenSUSE repository, that you could find in Fedora's.

I use it and I'm a package maintainer for it.

Qubes is superior, you can run 10 fedoras at the same time!!

broken gui package manager, or else something that makes it seem like it's broken

Normally I ONLY use it live - onsite but on occasions I've had to rc and there are a few tools I need and again, laziness - can't be arsed rebooting. Easier just to add the repos, and comment out after install with the odd upgrade once I'm told via list

You're not wrong.

bump

no u

Attached: just werks.png (253x295, 160K)

this isn't /v/ nor Jow Forums

I don't use it because of Systemd and complication. It's been rather unstable for me in all sorts of ways.

Most of the time these days it's Gentoo, Alpine, OpenBSD or FreeBSD with a MacOS machine for work related reasons here and there.

I guess Fedora is probably a nicer desktop than the other Linux distros though, if you like it use it.

I get that systems might not work for you, but my question to lots of people is what's wrong with it, has anyone read through it for the spyware people says it has?

Fedora made me stop distro hopping.
As others have pointed out, it got the perfect mix between stability and freshness. And I love that things actually gets fixed and moves forward.
Also Gnome 3 is the love, and fedora has the best gnome experience of all distros.

That was an issue maybe 3 versions ago.

Just search GStreamer in the software center and install all the codec collections. It's not hard you double retard.

Never heard of the spyware thing.

If you don't like complicated shit Fedora kinda sucks. The GUI is useful until you want to change something about the system or make unusual install options. Which to be fair... most people don't.

It's an issue in 27 and I heard it persists in 28

like what? you can do virtualization you can uninstall gnome alltogether and use i3, dwm, whatever. Net install. What the fuck do you want lmao?

>Why don't you use this operating system, Jow Forums?
Because it doesn't support .deb packages.

>you can do virtualization
Virtual Box won't work without a component that isn't shipped by default, which I think is because it's non-free, and QEMU isn't intuitive for the non-technically inclined.

Guy you responded to, I use KDE on fedora, not gross gnome, I haven't seen many problems when I install things like that, but I do wish they paid more attention to kde, though one of the kde maintainers is supposedly a piece of shit.

>install Debian alongside Windows
>Debian configures Grub to recognize both itself and Windows
>install Fedora alongside Debian and Windows
>Fedora configures grub to recognize itself and Windows, and ignore Debian

Fuck Fedora, literally sucking microshafts soft cock

ZFS on Linux,
No Systemd.
Nvidia Optimus,
No Systemd.
Encrypted disks
No Systemd.
USE Flags.
No Systemd.
Multiple versions of Python and PHP without fucking around.
No Systemd.
A compile installed by default.
No Systemd.
A world file or similar so I know what I actually need/use. Very useful when you're building out servers.
No Systemd.