Pokemon

I have a question to ask that i doubt any other board can help with. Out of curiosity.

So i hear that Gamefreak can't back up Pokemon because of Cloning. What I don't understand is why can't they use cryptography? Maybe like Using a Hash for a pokemon's ID? like using who you trade with as transaction, trade date, date and location caught etc? or Is there something i am missing?

Attached: Pokemon-Lets-Go-01-e1530035058269-Resize.jpg (970x545, 108K)

>why can't they use
Stop right there, they can do it they just can't be bothered to implement it gamefreak was always extremely lazy in regards of implementing useful features.

Hmm... I am seeing a pattern. You're not the only one who said that.

You are talking about a company that still uses Friend Codes in 2018

I heard they were using google's servers for the online service, is that bad?

The netcode for any Wii U games was embarassing, not sure about Switch since I stopped buying consoles

Client-side encryption would be pointless because the encryption (and decryption, if we're talking assymetric encryption) keys would have to be stored somewhere in memory, which would make it trivial to reverse engineer.
If they were to use encryption, the only way they could protect the integrity of pokemon and prevent genned mons would be to have the games require a constant internet connection and generate and encrypt/sign (with a private key) the pokemon server-side, which would obviously have a bunch of drawbacks that would make it infeasible in practice.

This is also assuming anyone on the GameFreak staff is smart enough to realize how crypto works which, considering they thought RSA(AES(ONE-TIME-PAD(AES(SHA1())))) (aka memecrypto) was a good idea, does not appear to be the case.

Attached: 1444296187349.jpg (500x500, 29K)

The Switch have a lot of dropped connection but i suspect it is because the Weak WiFi module combine with being portable and walking further away from the router.

>portable
not an issue, your smartphone doesn't drops automatically the connection
It is just Jap can't into technology nowaday

Also wtf Nintendo I just bought on ebay a 3$ wifi chipset and it works just perfect how can you have such shitty modules in a 300$ console

Oh, I completely given up the hope of a 100% hack free environment. But I was thinking they can use that solution to at least solve the "cloning" issue. I mean I don't hack my switch but I can even end up cloning something by accident.

Why can't GameFreak hire these people then?

I believe they have a saying:
"lateral thinking with Withered Technology"

they cheap out on stuff.

Don'tt get me wrong I love Nintendo and their games I think they have god-tier software developers and inventors but they are too conservatives on new technologies

They could achieve so much yet they settle to the bare minimum

Encryption wouldn't prevent cloning without a bunch of other measurements in place. They could prevent people trading clones online if they generated pokemon server-side, assigned each of them a globally unique identifier, signed them with a private key (to prevent the user from hacking the pokemon to change its ID) and logged to a database whenever they are traded. This wouldn't stop people from trading them locally though.

Really, the only surefire to prevent cloning is to turn the games into an MMO.

I always hear nerds talking about how japanese are the best with technology lol

They are inventive with technology but lately they are missing this train too

South Koreans are way more advanced in that, Chinese are getting good too
Still America has the cake on this

I am not talking about the hackers, I think that is above their head. I mean in the context of the everyday player. The ones who won't hack their Switch. So they can't encrypt the trades and transaction to.. what is the right word.... prevent the clones from ending up online?

I always believe that back in the 90s

It is frustrating because they have potential but they just cut back... but then again we have ourselves to blame.

Gamefreak just doesn't give a shit about what hackers do. IIRC They left every pokemon in the Sun and Moon demo data so they were dissected and revealed months before the game came out. The 3DS was already wide open at this point, they knew they could've prevented it but they didn't.

The problem is that any player could back up their saves, trade their pokemon to a friend, restore the previous save and have their friend trade them pokemon back. Voila, duplicate pokemon. Encryption and/or digital signatures wouldn't help here.

The only solution that would please everyone in that context is If you want to play competitive. You need to register and have your console on at all time.

that doesn't solve the cloning issue but maybe that stop the bitching in the tournament scene.

but if they decrypt it server side wouldn't show the user profile, time traded?

So lets say if we traded locally, and we are not hacking our switch, i delete my save and download my back up.. of let's say mew.

Wouldn't it be smart for them to program the trade transaction, the date, and user account into the encryption? So that way when we both log on, GameFreak servers can identify the clones?

I suspect it is due to the N3DS low specs
N3DS is just a dying console

What's the problem with people cloning pokemons?

It takes 5 hours to create a perfect pokémon
That just defeat the point if you clone your best with others and use them in a competitive match

Nintendo doesn't support cloud save for Pokemon because it will be easy to clone.

I am by no mean expert. I just rad a few articles. Maybe my idea is no solution, but not to try is kinda fucked up.

I'm not sure if Gamefreak is guilty of this or not, but I've hard that Japanese game studios are very paranoid about their code being leaked and that it used to be customary to discard the source code of a game once it has been released. With that in mind, I would imagine there are all kinds of drawbacks related to the fact that nobody knows how the fuck the first generation games were programmed.

If you backup your save game to the cloud, then trade away your pokemon, then restore the save.

What can you do to prevent this from being abused, it's a simple problem that no solution can offer without being a dickbag, especially when you shouldn't be relying on an internet connection for ingame checks at all.

I wouldn't mind if the backup system was one-way, and you're can only download the save into a new console every x months. Because that serves the purpose of it being a system for only restoring to consoles because you lost/broke your old one

Man, I don't know if that's true. That's just.... A bad idea.

Yeah, because they know so much about cryptography.

>not to try is kinda fucked up.
No. This attitude is wrong. Imagine you are GameFreak. You could set a pile of money on fire for no benefit...or you could just not do that.

What if pokemon but on blockchain?
Giev millions now thx