Linux is the king of FPS

Latest pts benchmarks show that GNU/Linux is a superior gaming platform that runs games at much higher framerates than Windows on both AMD and NVidia cards.

This fact combined with Steams new ability to run many Windows games on Linux means there is zero reason to use the buggy spying Windows operating system. The age of the GNU/Linux desktop is upon us. You might as well make the switch now so you're up to date and ready when when businesses, schools, government systems and even your friends and family switch to the free operating system.

Attached: openarena-linux-total-win.png (923x879, 64K)

Other urls found in this thread:

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=win10ubu-amd-nv-ref&num=1
openbenchmarking.org/embed.php?i=1809266-RA-WINDOWS2747&sha=3d760c6&p=2
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Xonotic is another game which runs better on GNU/Linux on most GPUs. But not all. Windows is slightly faster on systems with the GTX 1060 for some reason.

Attached: xonotic-windows-linux-comparison.png (910x884, 77K)

DELET!
Stop making fun of RebrandeonTX!
ReeeeeeeeeeeeeeTX!

Who knew you'd get more FPS when your OS isn't trying to take what resources it can get to harvest your data

kek who cares about those stupid games post benchmarks for games people actually play oh wait those don't even work on linux lol

honestly didn't even notice that those benchmarks have the 2080ti running slower than the 1080ti on the Wintendo and just marginally faster on GNU/Linux.

What games do you play?

Attached: anime-girl-with-questionmark.jpg (362x346, 36K)

Ah yes, OpenArena and Xonotic, the worlds most popular games today. YEAR OF LINUX, BABY

>Windows is slightly faster on systems with the GTX 1060 for some reason.
That's like 40% you dumb shit.

>This fact combined with Steams new ability to run many Windows games on Linux means there is zero reason to use the buggy spying Windows operating system.

Yes so switch to Linux so every single Steam game except 21 of them are buggy as fuck, half broken and run at a free 30% performance loss over Windows. Thanks Proton!

Linux is a fucking joke.

Top 25 games from Steam

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
Dota 2
PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege
Rocket League
Warframe
Team Fortress 2
Grand Theft Auto V
Path of Exile
ARK: Survival Evolved
MONSTER HUNTER: WORLD
Rust
Sid Meier's Civilization V
Football Manager 2018
Garry's Mod
Sid Meier's Civilization VI
Dead by Daylight
Fallout 4
Arma 3
Euro Truck Simulator 2
Paladins
Terraria
Hearts of Iron IV
Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Europa Universalis IV

>people, if you can call them that, still play Path of Exile
Yikes. Time to kill Hillock, again.

>any of those
>games
LOL nice try, fucking idiot.

>Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
>Dota 2
>Team Fortress 2
These aren't exactly very demanding games. I don't play that much but I do have CS:GO and Team Fortress 2 and they run fine at 60 fps on 4k with a RX570 on GNU/Linux.

Not very familiar with the rest of the games but I am fairly sure GTA V is one that absolutely doesn't work with Proton on GNU/Linux.

GTAV works fine, if you have an AMD card, you just need corefonts installed. If you use NVidia, you need corefonts and make a dxvk config file tricking GTA into thinking you have an AMD card. NVidia doesn't work normally because it tries looking for nvapi64.dll which doesn't exist in Valve's wine implementation. It should be fixed eventually.

Attached: gtav.png (799x534, 77K)

That's some meme taste.

Did terraria update, how does it even still exist

macfag here but fuck this looks great
we really might be moving away from windows dominance in a few more years

>buy new CPU or GPU
>have to wait 1+ years for Linux Kernel to implement support and for all Linux Distros to ship with said kernel version

Why is this? Windows 10 just works for all new CPU and GPU

The movement away from windows dominance is the movement away from desktops and laptops in general

Okay, now let's see the graph for an actual game.

>moving the goalpost
>where's a real game like fortnite XD
Do you practice flossing

>openarena
>xonotic

So where's the benchmarks for actual AAA games? You know... The ones that the majority of gamers are playing right now. Not some no name indie trash that no one has played before.

Or, you know, literally any game that can't be run on a fucking microwave.

I don't know if I should recommend you guys go back to re dd it, or /v/

What's the difference?

>Look at how well you can play these games on linux!
>You play games on linux? Go back to plebbit or /v/

I don't know what else I expected from this thread, desu

Because Linux distributors are fucking retards that think they should keep out of date software packaged because it's "more stable"

Total War: Shogun 2

Nice. I know quite a worthless NEET who plays GTA V all day every day so it's clearly still a popular and important game after all these days. Such burdens on their surroundings and society won't switch to GNU/Linux unless it's totally hassle-free and/or someone else installs it for them, a switch can't require any effort or NEETs won't do it.

There are entire distros made by and for NEETs tho. Look at Arch and Gentoo. People with jobs use something redhat or debian.

>Divinity OS 2 is the only game I play
>Still doesn't run on Proton
>People suggest some black magic with wine
>Other claim it still doesn't work.

When I beat my next co-op campaign i'm purging windows.

>we really might be moving away from windows dominance in a few more years
>in a few more years
>few more years

NOW

Attached: 1533776826241.jpg (765x380, 70K)

>Windows: 580 and Vega are virtually the exact same performance
>Linux: Vega is 40% faster than 580
Really makes you think.

Attached: thoughts-1.png (243x243, 12K)

Because it's a fun game. New content is nice but it doesn't need it to be fun, especially the multiplayer mode.

I tried Monster Hunter World the other day on Manjaro. i5 2500k and RX480, I noticed it was slower in Linux. I wouldn't switch just yet.

Valve is putting the big muscle behind gaming on Linux and this whole CoC fiasco starts shortly after
What a (((Cohencidence)))

every game in that list can run on Linux beside Monster hunter and Football manager because of DUnuvo.

they all run at only 5% worse FPS and CSGO/DOTA2/TF2 run at like 10-20% better fps on Linux because they native res.

I'm guessing Fortnite has more plays than all those games put together. It runs Nintendo/Windows/PS4/XBox so it's kind of sad there isn't a GNU/Linux native game yet

can you run PoE natively on loonix now?

Who needs 600fps, lol. 60 is enough.

Its almost like not having 300 layers of drm and legacy api bullshit enables a tiny lightweight kernel to have highly performant IPC and hardware access.

Year of the linux desktop truly is coming, especially with Valves Proton project, which works remarkably well.

Drivers are more important than underlying hardware for a gpu because of its inherent usage design. AMD has stepped up their game a lot in that department but theyre still nowhere near the coherency that nvidia has, especially on linux.

500hz monitors will be here soon.

if you use gsync highest Hz possible is best because 144hz gsync adds like 50ms lag because capping framerate at 143 does that and is required for gsync. gsync it self is like 1ms lag but the capping of framerate is shit.

I will only consider LCD again once I can get a 500hz gsync monitor with 1ms (which is really like 10ms in middle of screen and 15ms at bottom)

its 10ms slower than a CRT but its double the res and 4x the refresh rate ill prob switch at that point. I have 3 good 109b6 Philips crts thou so I can prob last until 500hz 1ms monitors are like 200$ and 1000hz is already out.

>for some reason
Platform-specific optimizations can go a long way.

AAA games will typically perform worse because developers have little incentive to properly optimize a native Linux client.

>especially on linux
AMD is better if you're running linux

According to some guys on the steam play discord, Solux has some kind of crazy witchcraft that makes games run noticeably faster than Ubuntu.

Patently false unless youre using the joke that is noveau. Nvidias blob drivers are still easily the best on linux, trailing after intel who only needs function and not performance.

>benchnark of two irrelevant games nobody ever heared about
>muh lincux is bettah xd
Freetards actually believe this.

both intel and amd fund the development for the mesa graphics library, both of which have their respective implementations already included in most distro installs

Having your drivers included in generic kernels isnt the same as having good drivers.
I specifically said Nvidia blobs. If you want full freetard then yes AMD beats out, but outside of that nvidia easily beats out amd drivers.
Intel again tops them all but they only have to make things show up on the display, theyre not exactly concerned with exuberant performance.

>Who needs 600fps, lol. 60 is enough.
Agreed. For the purposes of benchmarking to see what's faster and what the differences are you obviously need the numbers. But from my perspective and the most common use-cases.. who cares if one can do 590 and the other 600. The take-away is that it doesn't really matter which GPU you use since all of them can sustain 60 fps just fine.

Wouldn't the valve wrapper have to do extra work to mediate between Linux OS and windows application resulting in slower fps than either on their own?

Amd's drivers on linux are superb. Work out of the box, kernel upgrades don't break the system. Compatibility with wayland/weston from day one and other fun stuff.
Novidia's closed source drivers are a pain in the ass.

>i have never used linux
The post

Ive had the exact opposite experience. Nvidias blobs can be a pain in the ass to install depending on your distro (optimus on debian is a fucking hellhole), but in terms of functionality they're far better. AMD has always given me traditional freetard levels of annoying trouble.

>I only use Mint
The post

When you are reaching 600fps, you are not benchmarking the gpu.
A game with nonexistent shader loads what conclusions does it help you make?

>Nvidias blob drivers are still easily the best on linux
I absolutely avoid everything Nvidia due to my experiences with their binary blobs perhaps a decade or so ago. The basic problem was that their blobs required some narrow specific range of kernel versions and also narrow specific xorg versions. Not sure how much of a problem this is today - but back then it really was very annoying to be unable to upgrade essential parts without losing graphics.

If you use a LTS distro on older hardware then perhaps the binary blob will work fine for you. But on brand new hardware where you may need the latest kernel to get working audio or something like that then it's quite annoying to have to choose between working audio and working graphics. AMD doesn't have that problem.

>Amd's drivers on linux are superb. Work out of the box, kernel upgrades don't break the system
I disagree with this. perhaps because.. I use Linus' git kernel tree. amdgpu does break from time to time and then the AMD developers will drag their feet and take hours to respond to your problem before they give you a patch or tell you Do You Even Bisect Bro, Go Bisect and then you have to bisect and tell them what lines they screwed up and wait more hours for a patch - which may not work, so you have to report it didn't and get a new patch.

yes, but can it run battlefield V natively?

>freetard levels of annoying trouble
I can't continue with non arguments.

13 years on debian... See? If that was a person,that would be 1 year older than you.

>wrapper have to do extra work to mediate between Linux OS and windows application resulting in slower fps
noticed how those games in OP and the second post which show Linux beating Windows in FPS happen to be games running naively on Linux? you may have a point but sssh no-no talking about that, none the wiser, Linux is best

up next: tux racer gets 100% more frames per second in linux than on windows
YEAR OF THE LINUX DESKTOP

there's a windows version of tux racer
in fact, i first played tux racer around 2002, on windows, and i didn't even know about linux at the time

This ain't gaming but .. the Java benchmark numbers from that benchmark set of Windows vs Linux have a rather significant performance gap.

Something is really odd when the GTX 1060 running on Linux beats the RTX 2080ti running on Windows. AMD cards perform worse in this one on both platforms but the same gigantic gap is seen between platforms there too. phoronix ran 3 of these Java tests, btw, and all show the same story.

Attached: java-vector-graphics-linux-windows.png (916x888, 77K)

Debian need to be reinstalled every 6 months/year ?

what the fuck is wrong with amd graphics these days?

debian is not ubuntu.

nothing.
if you are benchmarking in september with software from april, you are going to get bad results.
the amd driver is mainlined and you have to have the latest kernel and latest mesa.

>but theyre still nowhere near the coherency that nvidia has, especially on linux
Then how come it works better on Linux than on Windows?

>500hz monitors will be here soon.
cause some people don't know how to waste their money

>if you are benchmarking in september with software from april, you are going to get bad results.
come on now

Of course, that was half my point. It made me wonder how much Vega performance on Windows was hamstrung by bad drivers.

>if you are benchmarking in september with software from april
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=win10ubu-amd-nv-ref&num=1

uhm... no
>The latest Radeon Software Windows driver at the time of testing was the 18.9.2 release while on the Linux side was the Linux 4.19-rc5 kernel with Mesa 18.3-dev built against LLVM 8.0 SVN via the Padoka PPA.
It's been exactly seven days since 4.19-rc5, that's not exactly "old" software

i dont think siege runs on linux

no

are the 1080ti and 2080ti systems otherwise indentical? michael does often these needlessly missleading charts that while show the difference between the tested subject, like win vs ubuntu in this case, but the card to card performance is out of the window as the test systems themselves were so different

God bless arena shooters.

out of those 14/25 have native linux version on steam:
>Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
>Dota 2
>Rocket League
>Team Fortress 2
>ARK: Survival Evolved
>Sid Meier's Civilization V
>Football Manager 2018
>Garry's Mod
>Sid Meier's Civilization VI
>Euro Truck Simulator 2
>Terraria
>Hearts of Iron IV
>Pathfinder: Kingmaker
>Europa Universalis IV
arma 3 has unnofficial linux port
>Arma 3
and at least few of these rest work fine via proton or wine
>PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS
>Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege
>Warframe
>Grand Theft Auto V
>Path of Exile
>MONSTER HUNTER: WORLD
>Rust
>Dead by Daylight
>Fallout 4
>Paladins
quite good situation if you compare to how little games there were just few years ago

openbenchmarking.org/embed.php?i=1809266-RA-WINDOWS2747&sha=3d760c6&p=2
THIS time he tested all GPUs with the same Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.01GHz (6 Cores / 12 Threads) and ASUS PRIME Z370-A motherboard. But you do have a point, in this test it was Unigine Heaven in 4k, Dota 2 in 4k, OpenArena in 1440p, Portal in 4k, Xonotic in 4k... not Let's test all the games in 4k or all in 1440p and 4k, as usual it's just random resolutions. And yes, I've noticed that sometimes it's random motherboards/CPUs too. I guess it saves time if you don't have two identical systems and want to do two tests at once but it does skew the results.

it doesn't scew the result, it just makes it so that the reader needs to be far more careful what conclusions he can make from the data shown

Seriously, who gives a shit?

>all these gaming snob replies

You will require 0.2ms response for 500, you know?

>the games people actually play perform worse on linux
>LINUX IS THE KING OF GAMING
linuxretards are even more stupid than I thought.

Makes sense since you spend 18 hours a day recompiling something after it breaks over and over again, shilling your trash OS.

based && GNU/Pilled

Attached: rms_smug.jpg (800x636, 109K)

Now that gamers are about to ruin GNU/Linux,
most distros will have dubstep themed sound effects, native RGB support and Mountain Dew ads in bash,
what OS will you use?

>AAA
You mean lowest-common-denominator games.

>any game that can't be run on a fucking microwave
why would I play games on my microwave? it's not even HD, unlike my boiler

Attached: pentium-1080p-windows-10s-boiler.jpg (1800x2153, 917K)

>and tell them what lines they screwed up and wait more hours for a patch
wtf? if you know what mistakes they made, why not fix them yourself and compile yourself? why wait for their fat asses to send you a new build?

who gives a shit about java benchmarks

>Playing any of those games at 60fps
LMAOing at your life

That's the best you can hope for if you haven't shelled out for a high refresh rate monitor. 1080p 60 fps is the standard outside of richfags.

It's also something that those of us with a GT 710 dream of having someday.

Those games specifically (CSGO, Dota 2, TF2) are run with vsync off and the highest framerates possible regardless of refresh rate by 90% of the community.

How do I get raw mouse input on loonix ?

Attached: download_20180907_003604.jpg (608x565, 21K)

cat /dev/input/mouse0

You're full of shit.

Team Fortress 2 is one of the most un-optimized games I've ever played.

It's scary how my phenom ii/hd 5770 rig played the game better in 2010 than it does for now with my 2700X/1080Ti.

enjoy no games cuck