Riddle for Jow Forums

You have a PC and another machine (let's say a console or something) both hooked up to the same monitor via HDMI/DP.

Powered speakers are hooked into the monitor to receive the audio that gets to the monitor via the HDMI/DP cable. The speakers have their own volume knob.

How are you supposed to have the volume in this setup? because there are a lot of points for volume adjustment.

Do you:
>have the PC and Console output volume at 100%
>have the monitor output at 100%
>adjust only at speakers (hoping the incoming audio is not clipped)
or do you:
>have the PC and Console output volume at 50%
>have the monitor output at 100%
>adjust only at speakers
or do you:
>have the PC and Console output volume at 100%%
>have the monitor output at 50%
>adjust only at speakers
or some other option?

Attached: 1536112508385.png (356x195, 6K)

everything is maxed save for the final stage.
always.

I would go for option C. The HDMI signal being digital, likely wont be clipping. If the output from the monitor is analog, it's DAC can clip the signal. Is the output from the monitor a 3.5 jack?

You'd obviously want to get the PC and console at a similar volume level before hitting the monitor too.

No way. A signal can clip between any two analog devices.

In this case you may be right but not in every case.

the blanket statement isn't valid in every case? amazing

Why phrase the question as a hypothetical, when we all know you're just fishing for help?

>Is the output from the monitor a 3.5 jack?
yes

PC and Console output volume at 75%
monitor output at 75%
adjust only at speakers
not loud enough with speakers maxed? up the monitor output

Attached: easy.png (761x422, 217K)

>PC and Console output volume at 75%
>monitor output at 75%
makes no sense though

care to elaborate?

how about you elaborate your choice first?
>75% of 75%
why?

ability to adjust volume output up or down at any point in the signal path

>cut 75%
>cut 75% of the previous 75%
you'd have 56.25% by the time it gets to the speakers. why would you do it that way?

simplicity. set it and forget it.
should be plenty loud enough before maxing the volume knob. if not, up the output level of computer monitor

seems like your answer is more like a guess based on nothing other than "don't have everything at 100% in case of clipping".

I need a better answer than a guess like this

cool.
have fun spending time worrying about trivialities

Well the computer audio out is digital, so that should be at 100%. The monitor volume control is also likely digital, given that you are adjusting it digitally using monitor buttons (I assume). Based on this, output levels on these should be maxed adjusting only the speakers. If you're worried about clipping, you can test for it pretty easily.

yeah I was also thinking about it like this. will try it tomorrow, haven't set up the second source yes, so speakers are currently directly connected to the pc.

Cool, hope it works for you.

>simplicity. set it and forget it.

Except it's not simpler, and you really can't forget it if you ever want your volume raised higher at the last stage. N'est pas?

lower than 100% volume from the digital output will mean you have to increase the analog volume more for to get the same actual volume, leading to more noise

okay so, I plugged in the speakers into my monitor, and set my PC to send audio through DP.

Apparently the monitor doesn't have volume controls (which is good) but sending audio at 100% from windows to the monitor has audible clipping, so I have no set the volume on my desktop to 50%, monitor left alone, and the speaker volume jacked up a little more.

also meant for

Interesting, I'm surprised the audio would clip if it's purely digital attenuation. Probably means your speakers/monitor aren't level matched properly for a line signal.
Oh well, glad you got it working.