Linux beginner

Alright guys. So I have just about a month away from my home PC. I've always wanted to get into linux but never really had motivations. I have a spare laptop that i never use so i thought this month in a house with basicly nothing in it (mom closing on the house and everything moved out) i might as well learn a thing. Which distro should i get and what are some things i should learn? I plan on being back here every night to chat and stuff in this process .

Attached: tumblr_on5a75R5Q21sk1rjvo1_500.jpg (425x600, 42K)

Other urls found in this thread:

sockdreams.com/extraordinary-striped-thigh-high.html
drugbank.ca/drugs/DB00783
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64
cloveros.ga/s/CloverOS-x86_64-20180920.iso
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux_ricing
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First you have to buy programmer socks and start taking pink pills, while signing the post-meritocracy manifesto.

Ah ok. Amazon link for the socks?

Linux is pozzed. If you're starting from scratch, try Open/Net/Dragonfly BSD. Skip FreeBSD because it's pozzed too. AIDS is no laughing matter.

I'm gonna be honest with you. When I say I'm a beginner I mean actually. I have no idea what you just said to me.

These look perfect: sockdreams.com/extraordinary-striped-thigh-high.html
Pills: drugbank.ca/drugs/DB00783
Good luck!

>pozzed
Has AIDS.
>OpenBSD, NetBSD or DragonflyBSD
Operating systems that are not pozzed.
>FreeBSD
Pozzed.
>AIDS
Bad for you.
Any questions?

Tbh I like those socks. Would be cute

Just stick with Windows. The open source community has become infested with communists that don't care about quality. It's about idpol now.

I'm only doing it for fun. My main pc runs windows. I need something to occupy my time with so all this "rhats shit dont do that" without a reason is kind of annoying

You probably aren't going to get much in the way of serious replies here. I think it would be best to ask - and maybe also if it's a Thinkpad or similar laptop.

>fglt
AKA retard containment thread
>tpg
AKA retard containment thread
nice suggestions retard

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64

Sorry, OP. You're not gonna get a real answer here.

Jow Forums is full of spergs who don't appreciate newbies killing off a thread on their nearly dead board to ask questions like this.

Take this guy's advice

Gentoo.

(Actual advice)
Just download etcher, burn a USB stick with Ubuntu on it, boot into it. You can try it and/or install from there. If you're new don't listen to the posters suggesting meme distros

Honest advice: Debian. If you actually want to learn Linux rather than wanting a Linux that tries to be Windows, avoid Ubuntu/Mint/the like. Debian doesn't try to be speshul like Arch or Gentoo, but it also doesn't actively try to hide anything from you.

Oops, forgot motivational pic.

Attached: makian.png (2000x2000, 356K)

Thanks for the actual responses. I'm still at work so itll be a minute before I can do anything. Was hoping for some stuff to show up so I can download tonight and get started

just install xubuntu or ubuntu mate and then fuck around with settings and learn some basic terminal stuff

ubuntu/xubuntu/lubuntu are for people who are new to linux and want something that "just werks" out of the box.
pro: no compiling needed, get packages quicker
con: you have less control

arch/gentoo takes a bit of more time to install but isn't that hard as long as you read the wiki or handbook.
pro: more control of what your pc has and does
con: if your pc is slow, compiling might take too much time (especially for heavy apps like icecat)

cloveros is some Jow Forums dude's gentoo based os that gets you on your desktop quickly
pro: you get the benefits of gentoo without messing up and giving up
con: some people don't trust it

Agreed, I'd highly recommend Ubuntu if you're a complete beginner

I already have ubuntu installed on it from the last time I was gonna futs around with it. I just honestly have no idea where to start. What are some good starter projects and things? It's an alienwear laptop from 2012 so it's got some alright stuff in it. Not worried about it being slow or anything.

A Los, in the desktop thread I see a lot of people running Arch? Red pill me on that?

openbsd are for the paranoid. this os is kind of limited when compared to an os like gentoo since some features are disabled for security reasons.
pro: really easy to install and "secure by default" :)
con: some programs or features are not able to be ran on this os

as for freebsd/netbsd i haven't used it to have anything to say about it. (i know setting up the internet manually on freebsd 7 was weird and that it can take some time to pull the portage tree)

note that *bsds are not guhnuu + loonix but are mainly similar.

slackware is mostly a do it yourself os since there isn't a package manager, meaning you can only get programs from the installer or from source code
pro: you might as well use gentoo
con: you do everything yourself

some other os's ive heard some people use are redhat(rhel from archive.org), centos, fedora, opensuse, manjaro, alpine, debian.

you can also go on distrowatch to search a distro that might suit you

**also

Probably the most helpful user so far. Thank you very much

cloveros.ga/s/CloverOS-x86_64-20180920.iso

Attached: 2018-09-29-225603_7680x4320_scrot.jpg (7680x4320, 3.98M)

Honestly Holo is one of my favs so even if I dont like the distro thank you for that.

dis

1. Get to know how to use a terminal. Ex1. What happens if a type a lowercase letter and press tab? Ex2. What will happen if I type in some command with --help?
2. Try to download source tarballs from a project website and compiling it, most project website will give you instructions that you input in a terminal (transmission.src.tar.xz)

Arch attempts to be as 'light weight' as possible to keep the os fast and simple. Although it has cool features, most people use it to show off their ricing skills they learned from wiki.installgentoo and other sites. The os is alright, but it kind of breaks too much (or for me) . You would also have to analyze each buildscript for every program you want from AUR since the AUR is community based.

Another reason I don't use it is (other than it breaking on me) is that you cannot replace the init system with another.

Forgive me but what is ricing?

Holo Truly is best girl. Thank you lol

That is going to have more backdoors that there will be no difference with windows anyway, get out while you can

I see you post a lot and you're making me want to switch to CloverOS.
How is it?

Try puppy linux in a virtual box. Also, do you look like the exact opposite of a posted pic?

Basically making your computer's de (desktop environment, the main screen where you can place files on your desktop, see your taskbar, etc.) look unique, cool, or work the way you want it.

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux_ricing
(look at /w/, /wg/, or Jow Forums's desktop thread and you'll see what I mean)

Well my hair is a bit shorter and curly... and I'm a bit lighter in skin tone.

I'm pretty thin too. Like 140ish 5 10. So not what your thinking no. I WISH I looked that good but unfortunately not

Ah ok. Thank you very much

Ok, cool. What do you want to use linux for mainly?

Thank you to all the actual answers. I'm gonna futs around some now that I'm off work. Hoping this month will be fun and educational. Will probably be back to ask for more suggestions and shit throughout.

Honestly just to fuck around. I have a main pc running windows and I'm gonna build another soon. Its gonna be my learning how shit works and fucking around just for fun one. Thinking If I like this enough taking my main pc and turning it into a linux pc once I build my new one. Still using the laptop to exparament. It's a spare so I'm not worried about fucking it up

I have ubuntu on it now but idk if that's the one I really want

I would just try something like mint in a vm, to see if it has programs i need or interested in or research specialized os kinds, cuz that's the main reason to go back to windoze later

You could also partition your disk drive so you have a partition (or slice if you are using a *bsd) for root, for swap, and for home. This way you keep your files on the home partition and if you ever want to change to another distro, you only wipe the root partition.
Or you can use Virtualbox and test whichever distro you want to use (although it might be a bit slow, depending on how many cpu cores you allocate).

don't use shitoo

Why do you faggots try to help a pos like op who doesn't even make a google search before making the thread?

It's linux procrastination disorder

Centos 7 if you want to learn RHEL (Red Hat Linux) or Ubuntu if you want to learn a debian fork.

Don't let anyone tell you linux works because it doesn't. That ubuntu shit is in the same eternal beta state as the rest. You may as well go balls deep with the neckbeard distributions from the start. At least that way you know what you are getting into.