Old tech becoming big again

with the rise of old shit again like synthwave/retro wave and vinyl, how soon till people start using cassette tapes again?
Techmoan talked about them, but it was for a short time honestly.

Attached: 1534732682133.png (1600x1142, 2.82M)

Other urls found in this thread:

xiph.org/video/vid2.shtml
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

bands still put out tapes these days, for novelty, something physical to pick up at the merch table (incl. mp3 dl code), small print runs with a cheap duplicator

They likely put them out in shit tapes. I didn't know there was such thing as high quality Cassette tapes till Techmoan talked about it

yeah i bought yeezus and year of the snitch on cassette and they are only on type 1 and have no noise reduction

Attached: serveimage (1).jpg (599x951, 105K)

well yeah but its often diy basement-recordings so no big deal if the tape sounds a little fucky

It's kind of nice since they haven't made a car worth a shit after CD players became common. Lets me drive a nice car and still be able to have music. Ripping out the stereo to install some modern autistic junk for a classic car is vomit inducing.

Head units are absolute dogshit tier anyway, there's no point in putting a headunit between the amp and the source. Tuning boombox petrolheads buy that shit anyway.

I don't get why.

Blu-ray is capable of 24-bit 192khz audio and hipsters are resurrecting things they found in a landfill to be ironic. Even nostalgic feelings of audio cassette are all bad. You guys don't realize how big of a joke you are.

>haven't made a car worth a shit after CD players became common
Whoa there edgelord.

ok mr no fun

cassette tapes are kinda back. there just needs to be a new, not shit portable for them to take off. noise reduction will never come back officially unless Dolby starts licensing it again but still.

why not use one of these?

Attached: file.png (1038x1038, 541K)

this also they need to make more metal tapes

metal tapes were a minority even when cassettes were still a thing. digital transfers and digital noise reduction on modern Type 1 tapes will be more than enough for a meme format that people will use portables with. bring back chrome if you really want audio quality, think it's less expensive than metal anyhow.

chrome already is back justin beeber but one of his albums on chrome

Because it's janky and annoying. I have used them before, like 20 years ago.

It's undignified looking.

so is driving your 90s shitbox

You sure? Looking at Discogs it seems like just some regular tape.

That would look nice in one of these.

Attached: P1030617.jpg (1728x806, 526K)

I 2nd this. I'm honestly tired of shit being brought back, I love snythwave but only in the form that it's being remade. Not that its the same song being done again and again.

>Lord Edgelord

Attached: 1517747709630.png (799x334, 328K)

>how soon till people start using cassette tapes again?

It's been a thing for years, fellow teen

Attached: 0006460623_10.jpg (1200x799, 125K)

Type IV/Metal tapes when? What is with these hipsters buying shitty Type I tapes?

i bought a metal tape i found at goodwill, probably the best thing i've ever found there

*crack*
*sips*
Pontiac Bonneville, now THAT was a good car!

Dream Catalogue

i've been buying black metal tapes for 20 years, i guess it never went away

Fuck tape, CDs for eternity.

MINIDISC
I
N
I
D
I
S
C

ive been buying tape since 2013.

its the best thing to put your releases on tape can store like 20gigs of analogue data giving out blurays or 20gig usb sticks is too expensive.

and tape players are literally free compared to old second hand vinyl players that are still like 200$.

i still use tapes so fuck you.

>tape
>20 gigs of analogue data
>there are people that literally believe this

I hope tape comes back in a big way, so I can sell my Tascam 688 for fat stacks.

When? I read an article years ago about the cassette renaissance. It has probably died and been born again since then. Geez Louise.

It's alive the same way your grandfather motionless in a hospital bed is alive. You won't be finding any new releases any time soon but a lot of band camp artists like to release their shit on tape as a special edition of sorts.

HEY GIUZ !

make me an offer

Attached: IMG_4585.jpg (3264x2448, 1.57M)

only vinyl is good

Tapes own and I can get them for 30 cents each at the thrift store

Sound great on my Technics M24

Best way to hear 80's music

Things like vinyl and film are used because they are superior to their modern digital counterparts in some way.

Tapes will never be better, so I doubt they will gain much popularity.

Modern DACs are horrendously bad so cassettes still have a certain benefit in getting the analog "sound" right

This is wrong

I found a hilarious Bluetooth casette player online... And a vacuum tube powered one... Portable reel to reel or microcassette players with tubes seems most memey

you guys are fucking retarded that think your PCM dacs output analogue just because it comes out of a headphone jack.

stop being totally clueless that's still digital playback for fucks sake sending it to your amp doesn't just magically make it digital it has PCM waveform steps.

if you want digital music with a smoth wave like analogue look into DSD but you will need a new DAC.

*doesnt magically make it analogue it has PCM waveform steps IE digital music even if its outputted over audio jack dumb asses.

>it has PCM waveform steps
That's not how it works.

Let me ask you a question: Have you ever taken any courses on digital signal processing before? Even just a semester of that would slap the bullshit belief that you have out of you.

The best someone could do with a Audio cassette was 5.8MB on 90minute tape.
There's not much you can do with a static head.

UGH

bro im thinking of making a /dsd/ general on Jow Forums because i am tired of this shit

i have 20 years in EE and audio technology - i have studied delta sigma modulators believe they are superior , rip analogue on expensive equipment @ 5.6mhz and post it on the torrents - you are invited

Attached: teac_x-10r_stereo_tape_deck.jpg (800x843, 155K)

I'm curious how big tech elites are going to react tho. Neither microsoft nor apple nor google nor facebook have reacted in any meaningful way to the rsurgence of vinyl products. at all. and that is been going on for 5-10 years.

Cassettes are still higher-quality than MP3.

No they are not

Depends on what you mean by "casette"
Ferric tapes have nothing against a properly encoded 128 kbps LAME mp3 while chrome is known to approach CD quality.

There are formats like DSD512 if you want "more fidelity" than 44.1/16 for some reason. But these do not get marketed a lot from companies. Because you just can't sell shit with these techs - everybody can pirate them and get decent DAC for cheap. You can sell shit with all these obsolete technology (reminder - vinyl was basically what is MP3 128kbps today, compared to tape in 70s, it was just cheap and easier to store, and maintenance of reel to reel players was kinda hard) easily.

that's just using the audio to store data if you had a proper reader not just a audio reader you could store way more.

like IBM makes tapes that can store 12tb that are 980m long and same dimentions as VHS even the cheapest 90mins VHS should be able to store like 2tb then but the shitty DIY hacks can only store 2-4gb.

you need a proper reader and righter and not just put data on their as audio or video but actual data.

you literally are trying to convince yourself your PCM digital dac outputs analogue you don't have 20 years of experience in any thing your a idiot that just brought some thing and found out about vinyl and analogue amps and are trying to convince yourself you didn't waste 800$.

>analogue data
you should read up on what the word "data" means (protip: it does not apply to analog signals)

you're sitting at the top of mount stupid right now
>that's just using the audio to store data
yes, because that's all cassette tape decks can do
>if you had a proper reader not just a audio reader you could store way more.
true, but the fact is that you're using an audio reader, to read audio. arguing that tapes as an analog audio medium is good because you could theoretically store a lot of data on them with alternative read/write hardware is utterly meaningless
>like IBM makes tapes that can store 12tb that are 980m long and same dimentions as VHS even the cheapest 90mins VHS should be able to store like 2tb then but the shitty DIY hacks can only store 2-4gb.
modern digital archival tape, and even VHS tape, use far better quality tape than most audio cassette tapes do, there's no one kind of "tape"
the absolute theoretical density of the tape means nothing when you're talking about a specific read/write method/format, which has it's own limitations
it's like arguing "this 100MB hdd is actually really good because modern hdd's are like, 10TB with basically the same platters"

>your PCM digital dac outputs analogue
it does. The point of a DAC is to output a continuous time signal that is 100% identical to the continuous time signal that a set of samples is supposed to represent. Unless you have the math to back it up, you have nothing but a vapid "you're wrong" response. The literature has been out there for decades, it's the reason why digital audio exists in the first place. You can look up the syllabi and recommended reading of openly available courses out there if you're not a willfully ignorant retard.

Digi shit can't compare with the eerie melodies of the

>M E L L O T R O N

pcm dacs do output analog audio, that's what they're for
'step' are just for visual representation, the output of a dac does not contain steps

The mellotron's distinct sound is more of a consequence of the flaws of analog. That doesn't make it bad but perfect sampling is only practically possible with digital systems.

>Kodak keeps bringing back 35mm stock for shooting movies
>more and more directors actually use it again
>some directory even distribute their films on film stock

Now, only if they didn't forget that you need shit to play those movies for the audience and 35mm projectors are falling apart in most cinemas because no spare parts for 10 years and nobody manufactures new ones.

i use cassettes to record my vinyl records. sound quality is fine enough for me. but then again i have a high-end deck from the 90s with dolby S

>I have used them before, like 20 years ago.
No you haven’t

>synthwave
>tech

oh no

what's the point of getting tapes if you get high quality ones where you can't hear the hiss?

Will CRTs come back like typewriters and vinyl records?

1.7$

Maybe old school 128kb/s CBR MP3s vs first playback of high quality cassette, but not otherwise. Just use V2 OGG if you wanna save space on a device, with FLAC masters.

omg the DAC thing is just beyond me im done with Jow Forums you guys are retarded.

your actually convinced its outputting analogue like old analogue gear and not digital audio.

like your debating words but I can tell your literally convincing yourself you have analogue output. you don't.

don't let the door hit you on the way out

The DAC outputs varying voltage that represents the sound and it's then fed to a speaker. If that's not analog, I don't know what is. This bears repeating: The waveform is not stair-steps.

watch seriously.

noise reduction reduces dynamic range

Attached: Untitled.png (802x70, 5K)

please god no. I can't stand CRTs. The wine from them hurts my ears