Jow Forumspol/ B T F O ' D

Jow Forumspol/ B T F O ' D
>As Matthew Garrett, Linux developer and Google security engineer, remarked on Twitter, "For every person that leaves the kernel over the CoC, I pledge to help mentor a new contributor interested in taking over their work." He quickly followed up, "Well, so far I've got like an order of magnitude more people interested in contributing to the kernel than people who have credibly threatened to stop contributing, so that seems like a good sign."

>zdnet.com/article/linus-torvalds-and-linux-code-of-conduct-myths/

Attached: 456578.jpg (944x892, 44K)

>more trannies and basedboys
>trained by a jewgle enginigger
Heh, kernel is kill

"Garrett worked on power management in Linux."
Power management is touted as one of the weakest areas about linux. I dont think he should be "helping".

How do you know he didn't try his best and that should be good enough? He has feelings too.

is that Thad? Is he out yet?

replacing actual programmers with trannys is never A good sign

im sure its easy for a bunch of trannies to just post that they are interested for political points and then just end up doing nothing at all.
anyone that joins because of a CoC does not give a shit about good software.

I'll just use rhel7 on my x220 until I die

>interested in contributing
isn't the same as
>contributing
SHOW ME THE CODE

Crashing this kernel with no survivors!!!

come on .. wait till people start pulling their code out of the kernel with copywright laws..

10 more days

>Thad
havent heard that name in a long time

>training kernel devs
This isnt a basic OOP course Nigger. You cant just train kernel devs in a timely manner. Not to mention you have to use resources to train greenhorns. Sure, jewgle can fill the gaps but that just turns linux into desktop android. It ceases to be free software and will lose its user base. They wont win the war that way. Nothing but a bunch of hot air coming from the windbag and chief of (((security))) himself

Attached: 1522374861716.png (728x745, 244K)

Can you imagine how much of a bloated piece of shit a Google led Linux would be?

>I as Google worker will tutor some free contributor ...
Minories love give free work

>Well, so far I've got like an order of magnitude more people
READ: I HAVE NO ONE PLEASE DONT LEAVE

>lose its user base
you mean the 10% neckbeards?

sometimes our best isn't good enough and our feelings don't change this
that diesn't mean we should give up, it means to keep pushing it and improving to beyond the point its enough
you should never cut people some slack over this, it prevents/slows down improvement

Whatever you say hormone hailey

Attached: 870mvf5xry711.jpg (640x960, 50K)

checked

The only devs Google can "mentor" are retards who can't be trusted with exceptions and generics, nevermind pointers and raw memory.

I'm no lawyer but I thought this was bullshit since making a contribution under GPL means you can't just take it back later.

Based

>more people wanting to contribute
Editing the coc is not contribution

If that is his best, then it is not enough. His feelings don't matter. Good code matters.

Legally they can't rescind/remove code from previous versions but from all future versions. That's why the hold on attacks and the effort is being spent on trying to calm people down and manipulate them into waiting.
Protip: gpl3 or equivalent coming soon.

Contributing to Linux kernel costs nothing
This looks like bullshit response from the most evil company.

>10 year old drag queen

Attached: 1538053807776.jpg (640x640, 61K)

So many kernel contributors on Jow Forums, wow :)

So many kernel contributors with mutilated dicks. Wow. :)

They can't move to GPL3, all Linux code lacks "or later" part of the the GPLv2.

The other pledger is a mediocre ruby programmer. It's easy to pledge shit when you know it won't be much help anyway.

>believes in meritocracy
Those oppressive days are over, shitlord.
Just being there is the only requirement now.
Kumbaya motherfucker!

Then clearly, his best isn't enough for Linux and he should leave that work to someone better qualified

He probably has a shit ton of bluehaired imbeciles jumping at the thought to help take over, with no idea what the actual work really involves.

Welp. According to CoC, they're entitled to fuck up the kernel to their hearts content without the threat of being told that they're making the kernel shit

>interested in
What an empty statement.
>an order of magnitude
So his solution to people not contributing is to take himself out of the equation to spend time mentoring several people who likely won't do anything other than waste his time. What a great idea.

Can we move on plz? The CoC h

Attached: 1538071099092.png (512x512, 160K)

"They fled. The CoC haters fled. Indeed, concerning the fighting waged by the heroes of Social Justice Warrior army, one amazing thing really is the cowardice of the nazi hackers of old."

Attached: 07-minister.jpg (300x225, 10K)

Plus he'd have to teach them how to replace all the missing code blocks that would be removed along with the creators because GPLv2. PLUS he'd have to ensure that their work would be transformative so they aren't sued by the previous devs for copyright infringement.

>I'm no lawyer but I thought this was bullshit since making a contribution under GPL means you can't just take it back later.
It's a damn shame that people managed to convince others, that the GPL is a free license. This happened despite people yelling for over a decade now that it's not.
Despite the fact that the license was publicly readable and obviously not focused around freedom, given that freedom is described in less than 800 multi-page legal clauses.
Something Linus himself has publicly regretted using.

It's cool though, I'm sure they can sustain that with (((Google's)))) finance. It's gonna be a black hole for money but they have infinite money anyway.

>No takebacks
You're thinking of GPLv3, not GPLv2, which Linux is licensed under

is that a jew on polandball's hook?

>to ensure that their work would be transformative so they aren't sued by the previous devs for copyright infringement.
The sad thing is, you know they're going to get away with it unless people are diligent.

>ok xir, I need you to rewrite this module in a clean room manner
>>copy pastes the old code and changes all the names and makes insignificant lexical and/or source layout changes
>looks good to me, approved. And you did it all by yourself!

Windows 10 doesn't have this problem

The version doesn't make a difference here.
All the 'kill switch' memes are stupid.

Yes, Linux foundation will get army lawyers and developer public shaming.

egh.
>regular but (rightfully) concerned people are labeled nazis, as to dehumanize them and paint a target.
>dangerous ideologues with help from corporations and government call these powerless people cowards for mere entertainment value.
Nothing more cowardly than these mental children taunting the powerless, while all they have to do themselves in point, shout a false label, and their target gets handled by the powers behind them.
It's sickening that this medieval is still possible in this day and age, even though we've all should've learned better by now.
I guess some just learned it as a good strategy.

I wonder why our friend Matthew, the Mighty Penis (as defined by Geek Feminism wiki) always ends up on those news... maybe he's the only (((ally))) that dares to speak anything, or the man just wants some pity points. Either way, seeing how he was juggled from one business to the other those last years (see his resume), I guess landing on Google was actually a good thing for him.

>I pledge to help mentor a new contributor
Matthew can't even keep a steady security job, imagine mentoring someone.

So is there a fork of the Linux kernel already that has no CoC and all the real devs going to it, or...?

Because honestly, this seems like the sensible solution.

matthew FART FART FART FAAAAAAAART BRAAP FART FART FART FART garrett

nothing of the sort will happen if activists remain unable to throw their weight around within linux. they went for tso's scalp but got nothing.

this kill switch meme has got to be the dumbest shit ever and what's even more hilarious is how idiots actually fell for it

Attached: 1512651192496.jpg (480x622, 41K)

He's pretty qt though

Attached: matthew-garrett-small.jpg (270x337, 37K)

well time to fork linux

how does he plan to help non coders help the kernel ?

I mean I know basics of C maybe I should PM him seems like an easy way in

>s.oy twink

Maybe he can get fast tracked for a career at the Verge. I hear his type is also entitled to get into a CS degree with minimal understanding of basic computer shit.

Ah... theres no getting off this ride once it starts, right?

say you're a black tannie
an even easier way in

so if they realize I am white they will kick me out

Jow Forums falls for anything
they even thought coraline/sage were directly in control of maintaining linux too now somehow (or that they were placed on TAB).

or that the current maintainers somehow suddenly have brain damage because of the CoC and will accept any code they get as long as it is from a "muh sjw snowflakes"-person

I thought this was allowed since Linux is licensed under GPLv2. Why is it a meme?

>You may not copy, modify, sublicense, or distribute the Program except as expressly provided under this License. Any attempt otherwise to copy, modify, sublicense or distribute the Program is void, and will automatically terminate your rights under this License. However, parties who have received copies, or rights, from you under this License will not have their licenses terminated so long as such parties remain in full compliance.
you're not allowed to fuck people over by switching your code to anything that's not compatible with the gpl

Because one can't take back something you have given away unless being mentally retarded (can't legally make agreements).
People thinking it isn't a retarded meme are retarded but not legally retarded.

which part of the gpl says that you can absolutely change your mind later and suddenly forbid people from using your code?

of course it does not say this
the question is whether it being unsaid means you can do it sortof like a loophole
which while not only sounding retarded also goes against the spirit and intention of the GPL, and also the spirit of free software.

Attached: 1527841161862.jpg (712x702, 272K)

kys tripfag

trannys make the best autists. just look at the speedrunning community

the purpose of gpl is to give permission to others to use, copy, modify, redistribute your code with restrictions that are meant to protect their freedom to do these things
by licensing your code with gpl you're giving away your right over your code, people are already free to do whatever the fuck they want with it, you no longer have the right to forbid them to use it

I mean the intent is pretty clear
but is the intent (both of the license and of contributing under the license) strong enough that any judge would throw a lawyer trying to do jewish weasel shit on technicalities out of court without further deliberations?

GPLv2 had no paragraph forbidding developers to rescind their code, which was added in v3. You can use that as a basis to take your code away from a project licensed on it. If GPL was perfect, we'd be still using the first version of it. Linus is a cuck, so he stuck with an old version and I hope it fucks him over.

Basedboi suffering from aids

>Be patient, I'm dilating

Attached: 1533711063156.png (1826x1795, 1.05M)

>You can use that as a basis to take your code away from a project licensed on it.
which means fuck all because others already have the right to use, copy, modify and redistribute it

Not if you remove GPLv2 licensing from your contributions. If you do that, people will be forced to remove your contributions, and they won't be able to make any new releases with your code in them.

>Google will eventually merge with the Linux project
Who else is ready to get ass raped with another compulsory gmail account?

Attached: everything will burn 1536760504680.jpg (960x720, 121K)

>people will be forced to remove your contributions
even if that happens people already have their copy of your code, nothing of value was lost

Hopefully the antitrust lawsuit will save us from this inevitable hell..

>You're free to use my code as long as my feelings stay unhurt
Do you realize how retarded you sound?

>Hans Reiser should never have gone to jail because he wrote good code!!
>MERITOCRACY!!!
t. idiot

*drag kid

>Committing a felony doesn't negatively impact your perceived performance

Attached: 1537844326573.png (430x441, 86K)

Writing good code doesn't protect you from the consequences of being a dick, or a criminal.

windows doesn't sound so bad now eh

>t. idiot
so true... and an understatement really..
Although something tells me you weren't even aware you addressed yourself there. Which, of course, would make it beautifully ironic.

Criminal. Yes.
Being a dick. I'd disagree. Wernher von Braun was a fucking war criminal and we looked the other way because he knew rocket surgery and shit. You can't tell me that we should've tossed him in some European prison because he was a dick.

I'd take an asshole who can code over the nice SJW with shitty code any day of the week.

You can't randomly rescind code. If you could then some shit company would have done this a long time ago.

>Contribute 100 lines of code to the kernel
>Lmao guess what we changed our minds
>Everyone using the kernel has to pay us $10,000,000 for a license fee

And guess what, this copyright trolling was the first thing that Ballmer and friends tried to do with the SCO lawsuit in the 90s. It didn't work then even when they bankrolled them $125 mil just for legal costs.

does v3 say anything about submitting trash code? maybe the way is not to remove completely but to "update", add "features" and optimize (horribly)

I'd rather jail those mentally ill pink hairs than Hans Reiser.

>killed a random russian whore
If anything, he should be paid for doing the right thing.

Bring it.
>*pulls code*
>*starts new Open Source Project*

I'd prefer a normal, balanced person, that writes good code. Those won't be affected by any CoC.

You'd think they'd never collaborated on anything before. The ratio of people who say they're interested in helping with any given project to people who actually help is always hilariously bad. Having a hundred people "interested in contributing" means absolutely nothing because only maybe five of them will make it as far as actually contributing.

Software attracts autists with ego problems. For every 1 well adjusted person, there's at least 7 shit bags.

The hilarity comes where the SJW push for forced diversity has created the aura that there is immense and unrelenting hostility towards target groups relating to inclusion to the degree where their efforts are actually causing a drop-off of diversity against the curve. They're directly hurting their own cause.

Attached: pwease no steppy.jpg (640x480, 97K)

>The version doesn't make a difference here.
>All the 'kill switch' memes are stupid.

Attached: i wonder who is behind.jpg (600x600, 52K)

Boiling it down, the SJW action is basically to say "THERE ARE SO MANY BIGOTS WHO FUCKING HATE YOU, BUT WE'RE GOING TO MAKE IT SO THEY CAN'T GET AT YOU." and that makes people go like "Wow? All these people people hate me? Well, fuck. I want no part of this." And so instead of getting into STEM they go off and do anything else. Because the push for inclusion is threatening to them. They see the rhetoric and the fabricated opposition is intimidating.

Matthew Garrett is orders of magnitude more skilled than any single one of you shitters. He also wrote an email opposing the CoC on the LKML.

Linux PM has come a long way in the past few years, but his job is difficult because CPU power management relies on poorly documented or completely undocumented features in far too many processors, including Intel's until intel_pstate.