/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Stupid question thread.
Ask your stupid questions here.

>Read

>search
>ddg.gg/lite

>redirect anons making their own threads with >GNU/Linux questions?
Programming questions?
>PC building?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>Windows questions?
>Where can I get Win10 LTSB?
>How do I activate Win10/Win7?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Previous thread:

Attached: 79.jpg (500x500, 44K)

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/robocopy
pastebin.com/D8FKvcmF
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

God bless you loliposter

Sauce me up nigga

I'm trying to control an i2c lcd screen with an atmega328p
where can I find a file that does it without it having dependencies in arduino or pi code?

What timing standard is best when creating a custom resolution for a typical LCD monitor? I usually just pick CVT reduced blanking but have no clue what the differences are even after reading about it online, and there's really no default (well, the default is "Manual" which requires you to input a bunch of weird technical shit manually which I obviously don't know the proper values for)

can someone please explain the differences?

Attached: help.png (1535x938, 119K)

there is no difference, that's the point, they are for performance testing.

Is there a proxy software I can put on my server that'll work over HTTP? I'd like to be able to do something like my.domain/Google.com/index.html, protected by a password of course. It would be useful for public WiFi and such.

Attached: 1537292672932.jpg (1200x866, 110K)

so there's no difference in performance between them?

The latter two should be pretty much identical. The first one is going to depend a lot on what compiler and stdlib you're using, but I'd wager it's generally going to be slower.

Thanks, man, I looked at the asm for last two and you're right, they're basically the same. I though the darker highlights were indicative of performance hits.

The highlights are random colors for matching up with the assembly.

Also be sure you have -O2 in your compilation flags so you get the optimized assembly that you'd get in the real world.

Whats the equivalent of veracrypt for android?

Another question, is there a ever reason you'd not want to turn on optimizations for production code, and if not, is there a reason you'd use anything other than O3?

is there a way to get a version of win 10 free?
Im too poor right now to buy and I have an old windows 7

>is there a ever reason you'd not want to turn on optimizations for production code
Generally no.
>is there a reason you'd use anything other than O3?
Each optimization level adds additional optimizations based on a compilation time/performance improvement/weirdness tradeoff. O1 enables a bunch of "low hanging fruit" optimizations that don't add a lot of time to the compilation process. O2 adds more complicated optimizations that take longer to perform but catch more complicated optimization opportunities. O3 takes even longer, and adds a few minor optimizations for extreme edge cases. It's very rare that O3 ever ends up faster than O2 - they're usually the same. However, each optimization level performs many of its optimizations by abusing undefined behavior. If you only rely on fully standards-compliant code (pretty much never the case in any non-trivial program), then you'll never see a difference in behavior between any of the optimization levels. However if you are unintentionally relying on undefined behavior, the optimizations that are most likely to change that behavior in unexpected ways are in O3.
So it's arguably better to use O2. You get the same speed and a smaller chance of the compiler fucking you over for using undefined behavior. In practice it hardly matters. They're going to be identical in the vast majority of cases.

i just do what works, down to 8px horizontal blanking, 3px vertical.
modern monitors piss themselves if they're given a mode that falls outside of their spec, so you can be sure that when it works, you're fine
the days of a potentially-damaging mode that displays garbage and makes the yoke whine in a weird way are long gone, even later CRT's would refuse out-of-spec modes

Are there any media apps for Roku that support .ass subtitle files? I'm able to get a subtitle track on the default player but it comes up as closed captioning which is very unsightly.

What's a good Bandwidth Throttler? Free, of course. I want download stuff without making the internet unusable

Attached: 1525650867739.jpg (620x521, 33K)

What is the best irc client in the year of out lord 2018?

Don't say that gamer shit discord

irssi

it almost certainly doesn't need to be http, though there are http proxies like squid
that would only cover http as well, not https (squid can do https proxying, but it's trickier, and involves making a custom certificate)
most of the time, you just need something that works over port 80 or 443 (what http/https use normally, respectively). try shadowsocks on port 443, this provides an encrypted socks5 tunnel

not entirely free, but you can use the dark web to buy it at a reduced price.
or you can just use a superior OS like Gentoo

Pirate per OP.

Android handles its own encryption, you just turn it on.

Can some leet hacker help me out
My memo app gave me 103 files of nothing but gibberish, except for a single line that says
"DescRaw":
Followed by an actual note that i left myself
Each file only has one of these descraw lines, always followed by a single line of note as you see in the pic, with line breaks written as /n
If someone could write a program that could extract the data from these files i would be really grateful
2 possible complications are that these files are in an unconventional filetype (.lqm) but they can be opened as plaintext
And the second possible complication is that there are some completely gibberish characters as you see in the pic, i dont know if it might break the reader

Attached: halp.png (1366x700, 39K)

Use SSH tunneling, use PubKeys instead of passwords, forward port 80, set localhost as proxy. Easy.

Download Enterprise ISO fro microsoft, it's 90 days trial, research on how to "rearm" it for 90 days extra. That's half a year of usage.

Completely legal, after that you probably want to buy a key from an online seller, can't recommend any.

Also, pretty sure you can just install Windows without a key, they just block you from modifying any settings, basically they harvest all your data..

My Gmail inbox just switched to the new appearance without warning, and I don't see an option to turn it back.
Is there some kind of developer option I could use to do so, or has Google fucked me?

Is it worth it to buy a used ipod Nano 1st Gen just for the sake of curiosity and potentially Rockboxing it?

Windows keeps blue screening, im unable to figure out why, I thought I had the problem isolated, but apparently not.

The good thing is it takes about a month for it to blue screen, but I have no idea what the cause is.

Minidumps should be happening, but I either can't find them, or they never happen, so i'm unable to get more details into why they happen.

Sounds like normal and expected Windows behavior to me

Im on 7, not 10, shit isn't normal for 7

My Xiaomi power bank has become slightly bloated. Is it safe to continue using?

It's just as normal for 7

well lets see here, I go years without a blue screen and now it happened regularly with no real way to tell what is fucking up

usually it will give me fucking something to work with but no,
Driver_irql_not_less_or_equal
Pci.sys

shit started when I tried to get a ps3 controller to work on my computer, shit seemingly stopped after I scrubbed everything, but now it's still happening

Shit is not normal, shit hasn't been normal since windows 98 and has been near non extant since 7

>I go years without a blue screen and now it happened regularly with no real way to tell what is fucking up
Yep, that's Windows

Everytime I try install something on virtualbox after it's done installing it reboots and it acts as if never got installed.

What's going on?

Attached: 1538274423112.png (425x425, 166K)

My Phillips SHP9500 is finally falling apart, but new ones are scalper-tier prices everywhere but from Korean and Chinese ebay listings. They have thousands of sales and ~98% approval ratings, but I dunno if these can be bought or botted or whatever. Is it usually safe to buy from these?

I'd guess you're not dismounting the install iso so it keeps booting from that

Ooo ok... So like I'm installing it but it's still reading it as bootable?

I think you were right..
Since it installed to hard drive according to virtual machine "taking the disk" out would be approiate. It works I think...is freebsd just command line lol?

But what if I want to create encrypted partitions on an SD card and be able to switch it back and forth with my computer?

Android isn't designed to give that kind of low level access. Best you could look for is an app that creates encrypted folders or archive files.

I can literally smell my HDD about to die. I’ve never backed up in my life but I’m going go buy an external drive. How do I copy 400GB of information over?

Best web browser for 32bit windows 7/vista?

Attached: 1508475292221.jpg (326x326, 22K)

Hey Jow Forums, I just recently upgraded and I'm not sure which windows updates are bloatware bullshit.

What KB's do I avoid? So far Its my understanding to avoid these.

KB3068708
KB3022345
KB2952664
KB2990214
KB3035583
KB971033
KB3021917
KB3044374

Anything else?

Attached: boat.gif (451x457, 3.98M)

>I can literally smell my HDD about to die
Bad news for you then...

Stop using the drive now. Once you have the external HDD, on Windows, I'd suggest RoboCopy. Use the command line:
robocopy D:\Data H:\Backup /e /purge /copy:DT /MT:32 /xa:SH /r:2 /w:5
More: docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/robocopy

>purge
Uhh

Is there a way to copy files so that the modification dates are preserved?

Attached: qt__q.png (1200x1110, 528K)

Second OP link.

hello! how the hell do i make bottom border as thin as top border (see pic)? this triggers my autsm real bad.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-09-30 11-42-00.png (329x568, 395K)

cp -p

>I'm not sure which windows updates are bloatware bullshit.
All of them :^)

Use an empty target folder (I mean... come on...)
I use purge for certain regular backups so it makes sense to me - and maybe even for as the backup may fail or otherwise mess it up and they want to try again.
Or are there more problems with purge I'm not seeing?

here's config btw pastebin.com/D8FKvcmF

So basically it's a all-or-nothing thing, and if it seems to be displaying fine I shouldn't worry?

I believe robocopy does this though I could be remembering wrong

yep

Modification dates?

Why do you want to save them?

bought a gpu i thought i needed but i actually dont
its also far worse then the gpu i have at the moment
store i bought it from are jews and wont take any kind of returns at all unless its DOA
how can i fry it

Resell it for more.

I renamed a file and pushed a commit using Git. Instead of detecting the file as being renamed it added it as a completely new file. Now I have duplicate files: one with the old name, one with the new. How do I stop tracking the old one? It's not on my local repository but it's still on the online repo when I check the source files.

Attached: git-logo.jpg (300x300, 19K)

the one i bought is absolute trash i doubt anyone would buy it

I want to try out some simple parallel programming but I am not sure where to best apply it "earlier" or "later".
As an example say I have to loop over all pixels and for each pixel over all points to display. I could now paralellize the loop over the pixels, or the inner loop over the points. Is there a rule of thumb where to parallelize.

I'm on antergos and everytime I hibernate my wifi dongle stops working until I plug it out and back again. Any clue on why ?

What would the following command do?

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1

Can a tech company fire you before your first payday if they don't like the work you're doing? I'm trying to calculate the risks/benefits of moving to a new state. The move would come out of my pocket and be replaced by the company on the first payday... but I'm a bit worried that they may fire me if my work isn't up to par with their expectations (this will be my first job).

Attached: 1524119678226.jpg (702x562, 67K)

Zero out sda.

You'll be fine, just act 'slow'

ply
format ascii 1.0

how the fuck do I split this string by lines in python.
There's an CR LF at the end of the lines and with "br" reading mode I can see a "\n" in python but split("\n") doesn't work

I have a huawei y6 and I have no clue how to inject my sd and phone card. The instructions say I have to slide a pin in there to open up a sloth, but there is no pin. I used something else but it doesn't work. What do?

Attached: 54435353545345.jpg (641x530, 28K)

No need to complicate, just plug both drives in and copy paste.
Unless you arent exaggerating that your drive is ripping itself apart every time its powered on

I have ~300 images á 100 MB total, and I'd like to make a gif or webm out of them
what's the easiest way to do this on linux? gimp to gfycat? vlc? openshot? ffmpeg?

Attached: 1527259347949.jpg (796x1200, 310K)

ffmpeg

Nvm I found it. They made it very confusing.

are silent mouses a meme?

Attached: 1493531688386.jpg (432x560, 37K)

>mouses
sorry its late

Can you cancel out on accepting a job offer if you found something better?

>
nigga just dont show up lmao
haha just dont go

Attached: 1478181974905.jpg (290x265, 24K)

In the US, you have to give two weeks notice, if you've already promised to start - but call and ask, the employer can wave it. Otherwise, a nasty black mark is going to show up whenever anyone looks up your SSN# for an interview.

I just installed a new GPU but now all my icons look blurry, the desktop's plain black background looks brighter, and it just overall looks fuzzy. How can I fix this?

If you didnt sign a contract who cares just ignore them

Fixed it, for some reason in the NVIDIA Control Panel it had selected 1080p, 1920x1080 for the TV I am using, switched to PC 1920x1080 (native) and it looks much better. All of my previous cards have been AMD.

I only signed the offer letter they sent in the mail. So I'm not obligated to follow up?

would you wear this?

Attached: 155222566.png (1221x798, 538K)

Windows 7 can i sort folders/directories by size without installing some bullshit bloatware?

reddit

Attached: ffffffffffffff.png (166x122, 6K)

There aren't different "best" browsers depending on your OS

Is it worth waiting for black friday/cyber monday to purchase PC components?

Attached: 1274078400025.jpg (400x535, 88K)

Read logs instead of blindly deleting things

Yes I would.
Lisa Su is the shit

how does this handle packet distribution?

Attached: 61MIUISaroL._SY355_.jpg (355x355, 13K)

Badly

so is it a bad idea if i use this for ps4, nintendo switch and PC? 2 at a time,

since my router is downstairs and i have like a 1000 meter lan cable around the house

I imagine it works the same as a hub and duplicates everything.

++i++;
>this is valid syntax in c++

Attached: 1537225856453.jpg (585x585, 27K)

Unfortunately, you cannot.

I'd be fine with some portable .exe
just not 30 DAYS FREE TRAYL shit

i just installed a new GPU, although it has positive reviews a couple of them mentioned coil whine, which kinda sucks.

is there a way of testing this without having games installed yet?

any GPU benchmark