How does Jow Forums keep track of their finances...

How does Jow Forums keep track of their finances? Gnucash for desktop is a great tool but gnucash for android has the most misleading name ever. What is a good software that I can use in both desktop and phone without unnecessary autism?

Attached: images.jpg (275x183, 9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cjoCNRpLanY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I buy silver and withdraw all my cash.

Did you try shoving it up your ass?

Plain Text Accounting

libreoffice calc

I don't keep precise track, I just make a point of not buying a lot of crap and ensuring that more money is coming in than going out.

Excel or any free variant of it.

I don't even understand why you would need a software for plain old math.

>don't look at money
>forget to cancel things
>forget to pay bills
>have no idea how much money in bank account

Attached: 1523348789198.png (909x584, 185K)

>not being enslaved by money

You are living the live, my dude.

Use Emacs ledger mode, there's great vids for it on youtube.
youtube.com/watch?v=cjoCNRpLanY

>gnucash
what the fuck is that name

also, if you want Emacs on Android you either run a simple Tor hidden service on your desktop you can access from anywhere with your phone as a cheap/free server, (plenty of go implementations exist for this, or common lisp) or you just open emacs using terminal for Android and use 'the hacker keyboard' or redo settings to any keys you want, then any scheme of syncing both the phone and the desktop.

Dude I'm a fucking banker for a major bank ask me anything.

Do not waste your time with personal accounting spending laborious time trying to pinch pennies isn't worth the effort.

Of course someone like you would say something like that.

Spreadsheet.

Just look at your bank statements online, what more do you need?
Always the same income, always the same bills.

You only spend money on bills?

Simple spreadsheet.
I keep track of my spendings monthly, separating between absolute necessary (gas and bills), stuff I do fo fun (going out with friends and shit) and purchases.

I don't spend so much money really, already cut down a lot on the third one, and doing the same on the second.

I used gnucash for a really long time, eventually moved on to ledger because gnucash is a pain in the ass to use with multiple currencies, especially crypto. doesn't have a mobile interface obviously, but by using syncthing to get notes from mobile to pc it's actually much easier to reconcile everything since adding transactions in ledger is much easier and faster once you get used to it
also the gnucash devs are a bunch of autistic cunts who have refused to implement crypto support for over 6 years now

>trusting bank records
keeping a secondary record of all transactions prevents you from being robbed by the bank if they make an error, plus you want to provably match deposits with withdrawals for running a business, plus you want to analyze long term data which you can do by running your own shit like ledger-mode or gnu cash or even a spreadsheet.

I make just enough to not worry about it as long as larger purchases (>1k) don't happen every month.
Every couple of months I take a look at my balance if it's somewhat fine

If I had your type of autism I would use excel because of the flexibility, but I don't so I just keep it in my head.

I used to keep a text file with a reminder when my bank deposits end, which I displayed on my desktop with rainmeter. Then I added a powershell script that ran at startup and generated graphs with amount of money in each bank, and ratio between short and longterm deposits. Then I switched to linux, replaced rainmeter with conky, and rewritten the graph generation in python. Then I thought, well, I could use some email notifications on days I only use use my work computer and don't switch on the laptop. So I made a script that loaded the text file to a sqlite database, a python script that generated an email report, and a cron job that sent it, and put them all on a VPS. Then I thought, it's a shame I have ssh in, edit the csv file, and regenerate the database each time I start a new deposit. So I created a simple CRUD webapp in flask and hosted it alongside. Then I thought, email is cool, but maybe I could have the notifications displayed directly in my calendar on my phone? So I created a flask webservice that returns all entries as an iCal file, and have it attached to my Google calendar account so that it gets periodically synced. Then I got intersted in corporate bonds and investment funds, so I added separate views in the webapp to track those, and notifications about coupon payments. Then I made a script for scraping current bond and funds prices from the internet and have them displayed in the webapp.
Then I thought, shit, the codebase is becoming to complicated to maintain, and migrated a part of backend to a strongly-typed webservice in scala. Now I'm adding more analytics to have the make sure the portfolio is balanced and in a healthy state.

I think I might have a case of NIH syndrome.

This. Fiddled around a lot with gnucash some years ago. Including budgeting, financially closing the year and even tracking my stocks etc.

After about 5 years I switched to libreoffice calc. It’s less headache.

How do you manage currency conversion to get a single currency equity statement? Also, can you update currency prices real time in ledger?

In gnucash you have a price table thing, since I only looked at monthly reports I just added the end of month conversion rate and set the net worth report to my main currency.
What do you mean real time? ledger works by dates, so you just need to source a file containing the currency rates and it should be easy to figure out after reading the manual. obviously that's the down side of ledger vs gnucash, it's not intuitive and to need to waste time figuring out how to do basic stuff.

mirin

I prefer the android version to the desktop one. fite me,

Online botnet shit

he's right, focus on making more money not on saving pennies at costco.

I’m poor, besides, if you need more than this, maybe you can afford and should hire somebody because you don’t have the time.

Attached: D7C2798E-ADFF-4757-A69C-B3414013A6BC.jpg (300x300, 46K)

the website for my bank

Simple Bank (an online bank "app") has a really nice budgeting tool. They have "goals" you can set to save for, they can be a single long term goal or a monthly bill or whatever. You set it to contribute to these goals at regular intervals, like whenever you get paid. Then the apps shows you your "safe to spend" amount which is your balance minus all the money allocated for goals. Super simple and helpful for most basic budgeting needs.

I wish I still used it, my new bank has no such tools in their banking app, but now I get 3% interest on my checking account.

Mint.com botnet

Stay mad

Are you me? I've got my HK rent down to 15% of income, but otherwise I'm not really on top of my shit.

What else is there?
The rest I just put in a savings account which I'll give to my sister when I kill myself at 40.

hledger and some custom written graphing/trend software

Yeah. I did this shit and my bank took like $5,000 from me because I wasn't transferring cash from savings to checking. I called & tried getting it back, but they fucking refused to return my savings.
Gay af desu

I don't really.
>every Friday my paycheck comes in
>move 1k to checking account, leave the rest in high yield
>bills are automatically taken out of my bank account each month
It basically manages itself.
If I had the time I'd invest it, but even still I don't really have a need to make more money. I make enough to cover my monthly costs in about a day and already have everything I need.

Maybe I'll call Vangaurd though and see if they offer a service to have someone else manage it for me.

Mint sucks ass even when you ignore the botnet

I do not understand overdraft at all.
My credit union still has overdraft fees but has a service that negates them. I just don't see the point.
So I can have no money in my checking account, use my debit card, and it will charge my checking account, overdraft, refund that fee, and pull the money from my savings.

Literally the only thing it does is waste space with the fee and refund items in the transaction list. Why this is still a thing is beyond me. Our transactions systems should be smarter than this. I'd rather see a tiered system than a single account system. As in
>in order, take money from these accounts
vs
>take it from my checking and hope there's funds in there

ACH is worse too.

Also this to monitor.

Oh yours negates them? Lucky you.
Pretty sure they only exist to make a profit for the financial institution.
I feel like they should be illegal.

>Oh yours negates them?
It's weird. It's a service they provide that you have to opt-in to, but it's free. So there's no reason not to do it. But if that's the case, why do it in the first place. They present it clearly up front when you open an account, as if anyone is going to say no to that. At that point, it just seems like transactions for transactions sake.
like 4 extra items for every transaction. In processing and in paperwork. Just because the banking standards are shit, and don't require some kind of fallback option to pool your resources in this scenario where 1 account is empty and you obviously intend to spend if you're making a transaction.
The punishment enough should be your money being automatically managed for a second, not a fee on the same account of

Attached: General_Jackson_Slaying_the_Many_Headed_Monster_crop[1].jpg (1156x919, 249K)

How do capital gains work
And how do i pay tax man

I feel sorry for Burgerlanders

Each trip to a restoraunt end up in a socially awkward calculating of an appropriate tip

Each months ends in doing the government's job for them and calculating how much of your lunch money you own them this time

I guess you DO need special software for that

Explain, please.

I track all of my personal finances in Excel

Why the fuck would you want to keep your books on a cell phone anyhow?

Digital files are better than physical ones, and a phone is a pretty personal and secure device for some people.
Even if someone steals my phone, my files are encrypted. It's always on me in case I need it, since I'll need it for other things as well. You can also manage it anytime.

>a phone is a secure device
wew

>for some people
Mine is, not sure about yours.

>I can use in both desktop and phone without unnecessary autism?

Carry a thinkpad with you everywhere and get rid of the autistic android phone.

Emacs + ledger

I use cash for almost anything. I withdraw a fixed amount of money from a random atm each month and then use it for groceries. I keep the receipts to and track how much money I have left for the month and how that translates into the amount of money per day. I hardly buy stuff online because, well, paranoia.

The best thing you can do for your financing is to realise just because you want something doesn't mean you should have it. Also start cooking your own meals from scratch as much as possible. Don't do impulsive purchases. For more expensive stuff wait a couple of weeks (even if it's discounted now) maybe you will forget about them and if you do they weren't worth your money.

This, I've been using Beancash to do it

This
Banks love forking you over with erroneous charges
tbqh you should avoid the bank unless you get a significant benefit, like good cashback/rewards programs or interest free installments

Or dont be a pleb and make more money :^)

Why would you bank at a bank?
Credit union or gtfo

Someday you will have to start dealing with the real world and you will see working harder doesn't necessarily mean more money. Besides you will never have financial stability as long as you spend more than you earn especially when it's to impress other people

Excel and Yolt

i don't, i just make vastly more than i spend

Google sheets

I have 30-50k to invest. I trust no one. I dont want to invest the whole wad until Ive seen some gains. Advise me.

>has 'vast' surplus of cash every month
>doesn't keep track of finances

I hope you felt good for a few seconds when posting that.

You described the prime user case for someone who should keep track of their finances. If you were in this position then you would already know it.

You either live with your parents so have no rent, don't know what 'vast' means or are a liar and a child.

I'm guessing the last one.

I take all the excess money and invest it. It's not hard. I don't need to keep track of anything.

Wake up

>t. poorfag living paycheck to paycheck

Come on. Anyone using >t. is still at school.

Maybe after all the hours you spent budgeting you'll have $10 left over at the end of the month. Go wild!

imaging being this triggered, i was going to post my 400k w2 but that's on a different pc

Literally this.
I'm also rebuilding a yearly CD ladder. Moving from 1K to 10K (backwards). It's not for profit though, it's just to have a lock-release schedule.
If for some reason I lose everything, 10K affords me enough time until the next one, which should afford me enough time to rebuild after any emergency.
When I have enough surplus I'm just going to rebuild the ladder again with bigger numbers which just buys me more time until it's past my life expectancy. And then it all goes to the state because your descendants shouldn't get anything for free kek.

Attached: posting your bank information on the internet.bmp.zip.png (1193x603, 40K)

I don't know about your locality but in mine the big banks offer better online services and better interest rates on savings than credit unions do. Also my mom and dad were at a credit union and they continued to send both of them each others' statements for like a year after they divorced, despite both of them calling and saying "stop that". it was a real bush-league kind of operation.