GeForce cards mysteriously begin playing nice with TR's FreeSync monitors

techreport.com/blog/34136/geforce-cards-mysteriously-begin-playing-nice-with-tr-freesync-monitors

who would have knew that nvidia is a dick

Attached: 1525094938763.png (500x387, 114K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blurbusters.com/displayport-includes-support-for-variable-refresh-rate/
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/direct3ddxgi/variable-refresh-rate-displays#variable-refresh-rate-displaysvsync-off
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No mystery, nvidia implement Display Port 1.4a(adaptative standard freesync from VESA)

well ofc its no mystery unless you own a really expensive monitor that flips your own hardware made shitty module for something better

Just tested it, and yep it works. I am able to flip on freesync in the OSD on my mpg27cq, and I downloaded/tested the windmill demo and no screen tearing or stuter.

Nice, nice. Guess I'll grab that Pixio 1440p FreeSync monitor I was looking at along with a 1080 during Black Friday. Wanted to make the jump but was considering Vega 64 because of the Gsync tax.

what about strobing backlights? *sync is not worth it at 100+hz anyway.

i'm pretty sure this is 20xx series only.

Says in the article that a 1080 works, and discussion on >reddit has some folks using 970s reporting success.

oh that's nice. my bad.

Just tried the new drivers, it works. Best fucking news in a long time. I can't believe I was actually considering a PG279q at one point, it's a good thing the two units I got were total duds and I got a cheaper freesync monitor instead.
Works on my 1080, check nvidia's r*ddit for more success stories

VRR is an optional part of the standard. Nobody knew if Nvidia actually supported it, but we all suspected it did since it works on eDP laptops and the protocols aren't very different if at all, and they wouldn't prevent themselves form turning it on if business needs required it. Heck, some say GSync is just the DP protocol and the module is just to let the card know to activate it.
This patch works on Pascal cards too btw if anyone missed that.

The last reason to buy AMD is now gone.

Attached: 1526593038608.png (570x683, 264K)

Maybe Jensen enaboed FreeSync when he realised goym purchased low tier amd crads to get freesync, essentially killing a small market for turboautists

this is a big deal for me. does AMD have a shadow play alternative?

I just want novidya patch this out to see how the nvidiots justify novidya cards not supporting/being able to support freesync, now that we can prove the hardware is actually in there.

During discussions by pcper about AMD's FreeSync, apparently the upcoming DisplayPort 1.3 spec includes provisions for variable refresh rate. Originally included for the purpose of power management

blurbusters.com/displayport-includes-support-for-variable-refresh-rate/

Pascal get 1.3 DP and software update for 1.4 and Turing 1.4a DP, maybe driver team rollback full support 1.4a DP of Turing for Pascal.

>Nvidia “fix” this next update

But most likely, this is not a bug but a reaction to AMD APUs being able to output freesync frames from the novidya cards, essentially killing the reason to buy goysync.

Article is wrong.

Update 9/30/18 3:22 AM: After further research and the collection of more high-speed camera footage from our G-Sync displays, I believe the tear-free gameplay we're experiencing on our FreeSync displays is a consequence of Windows 10's Desktop Window Manager adding some form of Vsync of its own to the proceedings when games are in borderless windowed mode rather than any form of VESA Adapative-Sync being engaged, a fact made easier to overlook by our high-refresh-rate 2560x1440 displays. Pending an official response from Nvidia as to just what we're experiencing, I'd caution against drawing any conclusions from our observations at this time. Our original piece continues below.

Interesting, I want to try doing some testing since I'm on Windows 7 but I wouldn't really know where to start. The pendulum demo had noticeable screen tearing with vsync/freesync off which was eliminated by turning on freesync so I still think it's actually working.

nvidia cards
>now support gsync and freesync

amd cards
>support freesync ONLY

TOP FUCKING ROFL

NICE VENDORLOCK IDIOTS

amdullard poorfags blown the F out yet again

Attached: serious.jpg (766x709, 113K)

Maybe MS fix Weird Vsync issues.
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/direct3ddxgi/variable-refresh-rate-displays#variable-refresh-rate-displaysvsync-off

I had my hopes up for a second... Aaaand it's fucking nothing.
I just tried it and there's just as much stuttering as when normally playing in borderless windowed mode.
Yeah, the frames are going through dwm.exe and vsync is always turned on for dwm irrespective of the settings in the novideo control panel.
I don't know why this faggot's monitor led turned red but it wasn't freesync, and the retard didn't even know how VRR is supposed to look like.

Attached: 1489674786163.png (655x509, 28K)

>90% of the panels support freesync

hmmm

Doesn't work on my 970. It just looks like windows v-sync in borderless is on. There's stuttering withing the freesync range of my monitor which imeans freesync is not working.

Sure, there's no tearing, but framepacing is obviously bad as you'd expect with framerate below refresh rate with v-sync.

>I just tried it and there's just as much stuttering as when normally playing in borderless windowed mode.
Same. How do people not notice the obvious stuttering? I'm this user.
I've tried it and it just looks like regular v-sync when your framerate drops below your monitor's refresh rate, in my case 60Hz.

I've tested several games so far at 40-60fps and sure, none of them have tearing, but it's obvious the frames are not synced at all. Stutter all over the place as you'd expect from no VRR.
The dumb blind brainlet who wrote the article probably isn't sensitive to framepacing.In the end it's just regular Windows DWM forced v-sync.

nVidia using freesync is what AMD WANTS.

>Update 9/30/18 3:22 AM: After further research and the collection of more high-speed camera footage from our G-Sync displays, I believe the tear-free gameplay we're experiencing on our FreeSync displays in combination with GeForces is a consequence of Windows 10's Desktop Window Manager adding some form of Vsync to the proceedings when games are in borderless windowed mode, rather than any form of VESA Adapative-Sync being engaged with our GeForce cards. Pending a response from Nvidia as to just what we're experiencing, I'd warn against drawing any conclusions from our observations at this time and sincerely apologize for any misleading conclusions we've presented in our original article. The original piece continues below for posterity.

Nvidia does not support Shitsync junk, stop trying to force Nvidia to support inferior garbage like Shitsync

G-SYNC HDR, IT JUST WORKS

It was immediately obvious to me that it didn't work. It's just regular v-sync and triple buffering which means no tearing below the refresh rate, but there's obvious stutter or at least it's obvious to non-retards.
Retard eyelets/brainlets couldn't see the stuttering and just kept parroting that it works.

If I had the money for a goysync monitor I wouldn't need freesync in the first place, I'd just buy a 1080ti and play at comfy constant 60fps with vsync on (or more likely buy Vega 64).