Org-mode

I'm hearing about the wonders of org-mode, but I don't want to use emacs. I tried it, but it seems like I have to learn an entire new text-based OS before I can even type efficiently. I'm still new to Vim, but at least it's straighforward.

What exactly can I do with org-mode that I can't do with a plain text file in Vim where I keep notes?

Attached: serveimage.png (1200x1304, 147K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SzA2YODtgK4
youtube.com/watch?v=fgizHHd7nOo
github.com/aarzilli/emacs-textobjects
blog.carbonfive.com/2011/10/17/vim-text-objects-the-definitive-guide/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

bump

One thing that I like is the ability to compile my notes as latex and save them as pdfs in three keystrokes. Makes it really easy to share notes.

youtube.com/watch?v=SzA2YODtgK4

Watching this right now.

Maybe chosing vim was a mistake.

Evil-mode forever

IMO you can get very close with the right combination of plugins. That way you also avoid having features that you don't use or know how to use.

I recommend the pandoc tool, as well as the pandoc plugins for markdown.
A buttload of personal macros for common tasks will also get you far.

org-capture is a great feature you'd be missing with vim.

Org mode contains my entire life. I do everything in it.

If you don't like emacs, use spacemacs for vim style editing.

My problem with Emacs is the keybindings make no sense. Takes too much effort to remember how do I even navigate.

youtube.com/watch?v=fgizHHd7nOo

thanks

Either install evil-mode and customize stuff or install spacemacs. You'll end up with something more powerful than vim can ever be.

If you're a vim guy you can emulate it in emacs using evil mode, and still enjoy org-mode
Spacemacs brought me over from vim, and I'm staying

>Spacemacs
What is this?

Also, I had an impression that Emacs is slow and enormous compared to vim.

Does anyone here use Emacs+Evil mode+Org Mode?

If so, could you please share your emacs config files so I can take a look? I already have init.el setup with the use-package installs, but after that I feel a bit lost in terms of config, since I dont know lisp.

I know I could use spacemacs but Id rather keep it lighter with only the features I know are there

Emacs with a shit ton of packages preinstalled. Honestly you should just use vanilla emacs and learn the emacs binds then configure it to your liking.

emacs for spastics
stick to vanilla or richard stallman will eat a kitten

change the shortcuts of Emacs maybe that helps, by changing them they get engraved into your brain much faster rather than trying to learn them.

Also what ever you end up doing, notes always in plain text don't trust those shit hipster apps with binary and json formats

pls respond

I don't use evil mode. Just learn the actual emacs binds, they are better than the vi ones and you can use some of them in bash, nano, and grub.

>learn the actual emacs binds, they are better than the vi ones
Now that's a hot opinion, my guy

Attached: 1536746594315.png (927x1035, 1.28M)

If they are better, why everything else used vi binds?

It's like 300MB of elisp that turns Emacs into something good.

I know it's a spicy one, but even though I learned vi first once I decided to try out and learn emacs there was no going back.

People often learn vi first because it's simple, taught in many cs programs, and on most *nix systems. Lots of people then use vi for a while and eventually want the features of emacs but are too lazy to learn new keybinds so they use vi binds.

>It's like 300MB of bloat that turns Emacs into something bad.
Fixed that for you. Seriously though, you should just make your own config and install plugins you will actually use.

Same. Coding, notes, college homework, todo lists, grocery lists, calendar appointments..

I wish I had a life so I could put it in org-mode

That hit so close to home it hurt me physically.

I actually hope that using org-mode will help me orginize my life and start doing something useful with it.

stupid and faggot question: does emacs have text objects and related commands like vim has? if so, i'm sold on learning emacs..

well, to answer my own question: it seems natively it doesn't, but evil-mode does emulate it, and then there is this:
github.com/aarzilli/emacs-textobjects

will try emacs

I am not sure what do you mean. Can you explain what is exactly this functionality and why is it important?

i'm too lazy and too faggot to explain:
blog.carbonfive.com/2011/10/17/vim-text-objects-the-definitive-guide/

essentialy, when you are working with whatever code it is, you can work on not only chars and words, but on entire constructs, like parens, brackets. small example, let's say i have this function signature

void whatever(int faggot, int another_faggot, int one_more_faggot);

and i want to delete/yank all arguments, i could simply put the cursor anywhere inside the parens and type in normal mode "dib" (to delete) or "yib" (to yank/copy) all arguments. it is very simple and silly, but makes it so much easier working with code with a lot of functions..

and it works with other things: di" to delete inside double_quotes, di' to delete inside single_quotes, di{ to delete inside braces, di[ to delete inside brackets, yi( to yank(copy) inside parens, you get the idea..

As someone who uses vim to write regular text this is absolute heaven to me. What's better is that it is smart enough to know to ignore groff macros and stick to just bodies of text.

is there something similar in vim? I don't want to use Emacs.

Maybe asciidoc with folding shit?

Emacs for homosexuals.

I just use evil mode.
All I do with org-mode is press tab to open and close sections, and save to whatever format I want. I don't know how to do agendas or todos or anything else.
Brainlet here