/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Create a parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC
Search youtube for a guide for your socket

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses; eg Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose and graphics card pairing.
>Don't use Speccy. Use HWinfo, SIV, etc.
>For Win7 in Ryzen, refer to pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1 (embed)

CPU
>R3 2200G - Bare minimum gaming(dGPU optional)
>R5 2400G/i5-8400 - Consider IF on sale
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPUs
>Wait for 9700k - Almost surely best for 1080p gaming
>R7 2700/X - Best high-end gaming/mixed usage on a non-HEDT platform
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - HEDT

RAM
>8GB - Enough for most gaming use
>16GB - Standard for heavy use
>32GB - If you have to ask, you don't need this
>CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 2933MHz+ is ideal

Graphics cards
>RTX 2000 cards are worse performance per $ than current GPUs. Just a marketing gimmick to rip off idiots
>Avoid cheap MODELS ie MSI Armor (Mk2 is ok), Gigabyte G1/Wf, ASUS dual, and others which have small heatsinks and low quality fans
1080p
>RX 570/580 /w Freesync or 1060 6GB are standard 1080p 60fps+ options
>1050 3Gb or RX560 for lower settings and/or older games
>GTX 1070Ti/Vega 56 if seeking higher FPS /w a high hz monitor
1440p
>Vega 56; 1070Ti/1080 if you already have Gsync
>GTX 1080Ti if seeking higher FPS /w a high hz monitor
>Upscale from 1620-1800p. Maybe 2080Ti, but awful value.
OpenCL work
>Vega 64

Storage
>Backup before using StoreMi
>Consider getting a larger SSD (better GB/$) instead of small SSD & large HDD
>2TB HDDs are barely more $ than 1TB
>M.2 is a form factor, NOT a performance standard

Display
>Consider 75hz minimum; 60hz are mostly old models.
>Always consider FreeSync with AMD cards
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING

More
rentry.co/pcbg-more

Attached: aN1Bo2b_460s.jpg (460x457, 40K)

Other urls found in this thread:

community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2018/08/13/understanding-precision-boost-overdrive-in-three-easy-steps
videocardz.com/newz/asrock-working-on-four-b450-motherboards
msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450M-MORTAR#support-mem-13
pcpartpicker.com/list/BPG33b
pcpartpicker.com/list/BV28zY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

inb4 the last OP comes here SEETHING that nvidias shit 1200$ midrange gpu is absent from the OP

>Avoid cheap MODELS ie MSI Armor (Mk2 is ok), Gigabyte G1/Wf, ASUS dual, and others which have small heatsinks and low quality fans
nigger

What is a good duplicate file removing software that just deletes the duplicates by itself without having me select everything? Just ran CCleaner duplicate search and I have tens of thousands of duplicate files taking up space but I have to select every single one individually.

Finally a proper OP, thx user.

Attached: DmqDyRbU0AIj6kN.jpg (2048x2048, 342K)

Will an r5 2600 and 16gb of Cl16 3200mhz ram be enough for running linux and windows VMs without significant slowdowns? I understand that it's a vague question but allocating 2 cores and 5 threads + 2/4 gbs of ram to a VM should give it plenty of juice to mess around with.

Attached: Untitled-2-small.jpg (615x404, 54K)

looking for a bit of advice
I have 1800X and planning to get a 1070Ti soon. But I have two old-ass 21.5inch, 60hz 1080p displays, so at least one of them should get replaced.
So, would going for something 1440p be worth if I probably won't be upgrading my rig for a while after that? Or would that be "just enough" to run the current games, and in a year or so it will likely start getting underpowered and I should stick with a good 1080p?

Attached: d-sub.jpg (480x330, 77K)

anyway you can get the r5 2600X? Either is fine but that's a faster processor and just a bit more spendy

Cross posting from the pc case thread.

I'm building an 8086k build, and would love to use a G5. The case would probably have to be heavily modded for the IO ports, so it's probably more trouble than it's worth.

Are there any other cases similar to the G5? Aluminum, no window, super minimal design?

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 142K)

I was planning on getting a better AM4 board that supports PBO but that CPU+MOBO combo is around 350€ at the moment. I'm not sure I want to spend all that money just for vidya and some school/work related projects.

me here again
Looked at the cheap 1070Tis, as soon as you go on the product pages ~£100 gets added on as import fees so it's definitely not cheap.
Unles this card permanently shits itself (it crashes to desktop every half hour of gaming, near enough) I guess I'll have to wait. I paid £250 for my 280X which has kept me going for years, I'm not about to buy a 2 year old card for 1.5 times the price.

What PC do I need to make myself an anime girl?

All B450 motherboards support both XFR2 and PBO.

Anyone know a good cheap x470 motherboard with good linux support? I don't know too much about motherboards.

Currently eyeing up either the MSI gaming plus or the Gigabyte Ultra Gaming.

>i7 4770K
>1070
>DDR3
>gaming at 1080p
Will this hold up until 2020?

It has 3000:1 contrast ratio so 300nits is perfectly fine.
40fps minimum is also fine. It's a matter of not maxing everything out. I don't want

VA has gotten a lot better. Just old VA with bad color is bad. It gives good contrast ratios for HDR without needing garbage local dimming.

Not worth getting RTX cards at these retarded prices, even at the fake MSRP you can't buy any of the cards at. By the time raytracing is actually used in games, they'll be far too weak to run it well.
It's literally Fermi 2.0.
Fermi supported tesselation, but they were too slow so that by the time it was used they ran games which supported it like dogshit and far worse than the 7970 did.

I find it strange the way people will have an AMD GPU, love how it lasted them forever and kept up with future game releases, then jump to an Nvidia card with their sour milk drivers where their card is going to get gimped the moment a new arch comes.

BIG eyes.

Yes. Passthrough and virtualization works well with AMD.

Dunno what's best but I used "duplicate cleaner" in the past.

Copy Erin or BroccoliButts.

Usually ASUS>ASRock>MSI for Linux support. Or did MSI get significantly better in the past year? Dunno. Probably best to ask Level1techs forum.

I've a shitty Gigabyte Ab350N board. That thing can't hold a stable overclock with a 2200g. And that CPU has a max TDP of 65 W. I regret buying it, obviously.

Does anyone have that google spreadsheet of all the Z370 mobos and overclock performance with the 8086k? I think I originally found it on reddit, but I can't find it anymore.

>I find it strange the way people will have an AMD GPU, love how it lasted them forever and kept up with future game releases, then jump to an Nvidia card with their sour milk drivers where their card is going to get gimped the moment a new arch comes.
I only thought to go with the nvidia card because it initially looked cheaper for the same performance, until I saw the import fees. Vega 56 is maybe the equivalent, but cards from both sides are expensive still. I'm surprised how well the 280X has held up though, considering it was a 7970 rebrand on release anyway

You're one generally too late.
X399 boards supported it.
community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2018/08/13/understanding-precision-boost-overdrive-in-three-easy-steps

videocardz.com/newz/asrock-working-on-four-b450-motherboards

Lesson learned. I'm still hoping to see some good deals on a 2600x and am4 mobos during black friday.

Attached: 1537807248434.jpg (640x334, 21K)

Generation*

Does anyone know if the Wraith Prism Cooler is compatible with mATX mobos?

Yes. Shitty boards are shitty.

Vega56 is equivalent to the 1070Ti, yes. But with Freesync and so on.
They're down to $380-$420 in the US and come with 3 games which is really good value. But yeah, that's not the same everywhere and might not be worth it, especially if your 280X is still good enough.

I recently upgraded from a 7970, same as a 280X, to a RX580. Was putting it off wanting to get something better, but turned out to be a much more significant upgrade than I figured it'd be.

Of course it is. Wtf.

Everyone I am looking at for x470 boards says just get the taichi but it's nearly twice the price I might just suck it up.

>Yes. Shitty boards are shitty.
You don't expect a shotty board when you're paying 130€ for the board + a BIOS update. Never buying mobos from gigabyte again.
What's also funny is that when trying to install some gigabyte programs onto my pc, I specifically unchecked all the boxes with unnecessary additional programs and the fuckers STILL foud a way to install chrome on my PC. I learned my lesson there and then.

Attached: images.jpg (197x256, 8K)

>Wtf
It seems bulky is all. Might be "just" with RAM.

During high load times like during games, my USB hubs all go kaput and hang on the last input when they die. I've got a suspicion its to do with the high temps and power issues that I need guidance on, see pic related. It's a 7700k which I know has heat problems but it shouldn't be this bad, and I've replaced thermal paste a couple times
The hubs are still providing power but not taking any signals. Previously this was solved by turning off selective suspension of the USB hubs (win 7) and prior to figuring out that they'd come back after putting the PC to sleep mode.
Now they're doing it regardless and stay kaput even after Sleep'd, with a good deal of getting sent to the BIOS and boot menus asking if I want to start system repair.

I don't know enough to understand what's wrong or what to do.
H e l p

Attached: CPUID.png (542x1700, 72K)

>saw Vega 56 were on sale yesterday
>procrastinated
>they're back to full price now

Attached: 5.jpg (845x466, 99K)

Just get the B450M Mortar. It's fine for a 2700X, let alone anything lesser.
Mostly the only reason to get anything better is for BCLK OC support.

Oh I confused that with another board. But yeah like everyone has said for a long time now: don't get Gigabyte boards for Ryzen, except MAYBE the Gaming 7.

Will a 2600x without a manual OC (PBO enabled) benefit from Cl14 3200mhz+ ram?

Attached: 1532629952521.jpg (400x323, 51K)

Yes.

I remember seeing some benchmarks where stock clock with 3200mhz ram beat oced ryzen with 2133mhz ram

Was wanting x470 so I have the possibility of doing GPU passthrough in the future. I didn't think B450 supported 2 GPUs.

Same shit happens with Intel CPUs.
Games love low RAM latency more than any other application does.

B450 does support PCIe bifurcation and Crossfire.
It's the "midrange" Intel chipsets that don't.

Yeah I don't know why people still buy 2133mhz ram even on intel. It makes no sense but if they want to waste money then so be it.

Let's say I want a computer that would be suitable for simultaneously streaming and locally recording video from video game consoles (between 240p and 720p) as well as general usage. How dumb would I be to just use whatever PCPartPicker recommends for their "Great Intel Gaming Build" or something like that? Would that be overkill? Underkill?

That wont work if I have an NVIDIA GPU though will it?

No. If you want nice things affordably, you get AMD.

Nvidia even blocks passthrough to begin with, at least on Linux, don't they? Don't know why you planned to do passthrough yet bought an Nvidia GPU.

Gonna sell my Sapphire Nitro RX 570 4GB and LG-24MP59G (IPS Freesync 75Hz 1080p) to a friend, $300 CAD a good deal for him? He might buy around Black Friday or Christmas so I don't know how low I should drop it to compensate for the sales.

yes if it was a 1070ti and only if your RAM is over 2000

Ordered a vega56 at a semi-decent price because of the fourth crash tonight in the middle of a game. Thanks for the help

More than I'd pay. Those usually go for

He sells a screen with it as well.
At first I thought like you.

Oh wait you said CAD. I was thinking USD.
Yeah in CAD that's reasonable afaik.

Why is Vega so overpriced in Canada?

Anyone got any advice?

Currently running a 6600K and it's showing its age badly. Need a new CPU. Useage is gaming, photo editing, and video rendering.

Should I get a 2700X or 9900K? I've been told the 9900K might be overkill.

Attached: 1537770902789.jpg (1024x743, 115K)

2700x is a solid choice and you'll still be able to upgrade to zen 2 withour changing mobo

Tried and retried a reinstall of drivers and the OS separately, no dice. Also lowered the clocks and it didn't make a difference to the crashes, unless I downclock it to the point of shitty performance. We'll see if the upgrade from 1.05GHz 3GB to 1.2GHz 8GB is as big as the price difference

Dunno. It's been that way since the start. All AMD stuff seems to cost more in Canada than everywhere else.
Maybe Jensen and Trudeau are gay with each other.

2700X. It exists, cheaper, likely better perf/watt, more secure, and the multicore perf is surely just as good as the 9900k with security patches enabled will be. AMD's SMT is vastly better than Intel's HT, regardless.

7700k getting hot shouldn't really cause that.
Update BIOS. Is current BIOS known to have issues? Then roll back.

I don't plan on doing this, but.

I noticed when balls to the wall my 1060 6GB uses 140W. When OCers mess with their power limits, is this all they're doing? Raising where it backs off?
What are the downsides of this, assuming everything else like PSU connectors are up to the task?
Or is raising the power limit not enough, the clocks would also have to be adjusted to benefit?

>6600K
you can't even spell "usage", holy fucking shit you're retarded
also, what the fuck do you mean by "showing its age"? is it defective in some way? that is not an old cpu and you can do a lot with it, it's still powerful enough and the newer cpus aren't that much faster, you're a fucking retarded consumerist autist if you think an upgrade is justified

also, why the fuck does every monkey on Jow Forums justify every purchase with "photo editing and video editing"? are you fuckers including the cropping and filtering you do for your family photos as "usage"? or are you all pewdiepe-wannabes and have youtube channels?

you're a retarded piggot

For the most part. That an increasing vcore and mem offset. And increasing power limited doesn't actually necessarily make it faster. Search youtube for "the Pascal problem".
Nvidia incredibly locked down overclocking.
>downsides
Just lower perf/watt and higher power bill.

Intel shills are the best. You honestly don't even seem like a false flagger, but just actually that mad and deluded.

Ryzen isn't really overpriced here but Vega is just ridiculous. $700 for a 56 while 1080 is $650-700 and 1080ti is $900...

I'm telling that guy to upgrade from his current 6600k INTEL cpu and you call me a shill, you goddamned brainless cunt? can you even think on your own or is your brain eaten by Jow Forums memes?

in what world, in what economy does consumerism work for a company by convincing its users to keep using their old products? are you fucking retarded man hhaahahahaha what the fuck?

>1440p with a 165hz monitor
>CPU sits at 100% in any game
>GPU tops 70% max

Makes you think.

to be this goddamned devoid of any brain cell as to just spout random Jow Forums memes and call people jews and shills without even thinking about the appropriateness of the usage

are you one of those 12 year olds that just yell out random memes? you know, so that they're "funny"?

yeah it does, it makes me think about how retarded you are if you think a 19% increase in speed is going to allow you to play your baby vidya significantly better

Is RAM incompatibility still a thing? A MB I want to buy has a pretty short and pretty retarded list of supported RAM modules. (MB supports up to 3466MHz, max speed on the list is 3200 and some 3200's aren't even operating in 3200 mode)
That's the list:
msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450M-MORTAR#support-mem-13

Should I make any changes to this build? pcpartpicker.com/list/BPG33b

MSI GTX 1080 for $630 CAD (+/- $490 USD) worth it? Is MSI known to make good cards?

Attached: 14-127-943-S99.jpg (640x480, 46K)

Total spent, $300 for this dedicated League and Fortnite shitbox.

Attached: 20140505_163800.jpg (6105x3259, 1.45M)

16:10 master race I see

The person I responded to said to not to as if
>4 threads all you need goy 8350k buy it keep it never get anything else

I didn't spout any Jow Forums memes. You're really reaching.

Vastly overpaid for a $150 PC.

Has anyone had any issues with water-cooled Vegas? Just sold my 1070 and looking at 64

The Hyper 212 EVO (not LED) should work fine on AM4if you get the bracket for it right?
I've seen people say it points the wrong way pointing either towards the GPU or top of the case BUT looking at the brackets I get the impression they're talking about the bracket that was phased out that wasn't the X shape which the newer one is. Just want to make sure first for when I upgrade my rig in the coming months, probably Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

>Just sold my 1070 and looking at 64
??

Overpriced. Why don't you just get Vega 56? It's a significant upgrade over the 1070 if you undervolt it and overclock it.

Vega64 Liquid is only like 5-8% over and undervolted and overclocked Vega56 while it'll use almost TWICE the power.

Sure, if you already have it. Don't buy it new though.

Well yeah the PC was $150 and then,

I bought the GTX 1050 for $100 and replaced the HDD with an SSD for $50.

Could I have gotten a better modern equivalent Case+Mobo+PSU+RAM+Optical Drive for $150?

Got any idea what component could be fucking up my new build? I get random crashed every day, sometimes after 5 minutes, somtimes after 5 hours. No bsod, it simply cuts off power. I already got a new PSU and it didn't help.
There's almost nothing inside beside mobo, CPU and an SSD. I removed the optical drive and tried all kinds of ram shenenigans.

pcpartpicker.com/list/BV28zY
Never building a pc again, fuck me.

Attached: 1504364518429.jpg (153x178, 9K)

Which PSU should I get (they are the same price right now):

>EVGA G3 750W
>Corsair TRX 850W

I am using a 2700X and a 1080ti. I don't think I need more than 750W.

Attached: 1380493570156.jpg (1000x1000, 188K)

To me that sounds like an overheating problem. You are using a mini ITX case? You could try taking it out of the case and try running it in a very cool place with lots of air, and see if that would fix it.

The EVGA one. That said I heard the latest Corsair series is actually good again (not sure if that's the TRX series though)

Current bios was AM 1009, 23/07/17, updating didn't do shit.

Run y-cruncher to test cpu-memory compatibility.

When is the next major release/announcement? I've been wanting to build a PC for 10 years and I was gonna do it last month, but I'll be away from home for the next month. Should I just wait or build now before I go?

Should I get a vega 64 (Gigabyte Gaming OC) for 2250PLN (~525 eurobucks), or wait even more because the price might still fall?
The 56 is only about 50eur cheaper, doesn't seem like it makes sense to get a lower end part for a less than 10% saving

bump and next question

Will fractal design mini c or raijintek thesis fit MSI B450 MORTAR?
I see m-ATX, mini-ATX, micro-ATX and other form factors used and I have no idea. Every website says something different.

Could have built a r5 2600x for about $50 more and used the dGPU for those games until you felt like shelling out on a decent one.

There's always going to be something right around the corner. Waiting is a meme.

Yes, it's in a Silverstone ML05.
The warmest component is about 45° (the CPU after lots of load) and sometimes the SSD reaches 40°. Both celsius obviously. I will run them out of case again just to be sure but this sometimes happens after literally 1 minute and a cold boot. Probably not a software/windows issue btw since it also happens in BIOS.

How exactly does this work? Do I just crunch numbers and wait for it to fail? Or does it tell me if my CPU simply doesn't like my ram? I did a couple of Memtest and Windows 10 memory test runs and had 0 errors in the scans.

I fear I am shorting out my motherboard but Ii can't see any point where a conductor would touch it.

im not sure then, just be patient and use process of elimination. off the top of my head the problems could be (in order of likeliness)

>overheating
>bad mobo
>bad CPU
>bad RAM
>bad hard drive
>fucked up OS problem / malware

Attached: 1334113722258.gif (250x229, 1.94M)

Memtest is useless as a stress test, y-cruncher in stability test mode will make faulty ram crash really fast.

Send any amazon components back one by one and test with replacements. Amazon are easy on returns.

Quoted wrong reply

If I spend another 80$ on a new mobo and it doesn't work I'll simply throw it our of the window, how can this shit work most of the time but leave me for dead on a whim. Can't even use word in case it crashed and all is lost.

so if my system crashes every time I start this thing up it's probably ram? I'll think about it.

not a prime member so I lose about 8$ of shipping every time I send something back, so I'd like to keep return to a minimum.

To top this off, checking total ports, there are 6 USB 3.0 inputs on the mobo (Prime Z270-A) on a root hub with 26 total ports, of which 5 things are connected; HDD, camera, microphone, keyboard and mouse.
I'll move the HDD onto one of the two 3.1 USB inputs.

Yes, I think $150 was too much for Sandy Bridge.
I think you could have gotten a haswell i7 workstation or equivolant Xeon and added a $100 used 970 or rx470 and had a PC that's over 50% better.
Add in a $45 480Gb SSD and it's a little bit more expensive, but much much better.

Spending $100 for a 1050 2Gb makes zero sense.
wat? No he couldn't have.

No. The Gigabyte Vega cards are terrible.
Get the Vega56 Red Dragon or Pulse, whichever is cheaper. Those are typically the best value.
Or Vega 56 Nitro if you want higher end and it's not too much more expensive.

Have you tried unplugging all but the keyboard and mouse and seeing if you still get that problem?

I see you are in two threads aswell. Did you try and remove the front USB header and just using the rear ones? Get yourself a cheap hub and try then.
Most likely thing is that your mobo is simply fucked, RMA it if you still can.

Why is there only one 1080p 144hz g-sync monitor?

Attached: 1536716303240.jpg (337x290, 56K)

Gonna be upgrading to 1440p w/FreeSync, worth it to grab a Vega 64 over a 56? Wondering how prices will drop in the next few months. Hoping for sub-$400 for a Vega 64. Reasonable expectation?

actually this sounds a bit like a chipset issue, did you include all this stuff when you installed windows 10? I had this when I installed windows 8 on my laptop once, forgot essential drivers and the USB ports were randomly not working after wake from sleep.

Will do. I suppose if that's the problem there's not much I can do?
I'm sorry about that, whenever I post I tend to not get a response and I'm anxious to get shit back online ASAP what with work and university.
I'll try that too, should have answers in not very long.

As is said:
If you want a wide variety of monitor choices, you get AMD.
If you are braindead and wanted
>muh FPS and !!!power efficiency!!! for dummies like me who can't undervolt in SDR with Shadowplay disabled instead of better quality picture to actually show those frames well
then Nvidia was the way to go.

I'm running with windows 7 64bit since I had a spare key lying around.
Made sure to install all the drivers that came with, and have updated since.

Did you try and upgrade it to Windows 10 if it persists? I know this might be a big deal for you but if it works it's a 10$ key off ebay, if it doesn't well you know the drill...

AOC AGON AG241QX (30-144hz freesync) 1080p LFC (315€)
Samsung C24FG73FQ (44-144hz freesync) 1080p (250€)
Samsung C27HG70 (44-144hz freesync 2) 1440p LFC HDR (500€)

Which one would you pick, knowing your GPU is a 580? Any good cheapo freesync screen recommandations welcome. 1ms a must.

AMD GPU's are terribly overpriced here.

AOC - 1440p* TN
Sam1 - 1080p VA
Sam2 - 1440p VA