On being a software hipster

Clearly this whole board is wrong about software and operating systems.
I put all my eggs in the linux basket around 2006, so over 12 years ago now. I never realized the impact that blob drivers can have on an OS.
Sure, linux now is literally better than windows in terms of hardware support, but that's just the result of shitty code, poor philosophy and worst of all it opened the kernel up to massive corporate sponsorship.
What good is using linux if microsoft, google etc are literally controlling it from within, financially and now ideologically.
It's obviously too far gone for linux, even if you're using something like linux-libre it's still designed by people who are very prone to influence and are ideologically driven. deblobbing a kernel like that is like spraying fabreeze on a pile of shit to mask the smell.

Uriel was right. We all laughed at him but he was right about "harmful" software.
I'm personally switching overall all my machines one by one to OpenBSD, dragonflyBSD if the hardware needs drivers that OpenBSD doesn't offer.
|
OpenBSD is ideologically pure and straightforward. Blobs are rejected, even if they offer a solution. Corporate sponsorship is basically non-existent, thanks to theo being "difficult". When corps use OpenBSD code, they're allowed to keep their nigger-tier patches to themselves, again keeping the project pure.
I've learned that the ideology and philosophy behind a project matters just as much as the code.
This is a divison point with the non-microsoft/apple users of Jow Forums. Either you move to a project that truely respects your freedom or you stay on linux and admit that you're just being a hipster.

Attached: openbsd_zaurus.jpg (2592x1944, 2.18M)

Other urls found in this thread:

tenfourfox.blogspot.com
talospace.com
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Attached: download.jpg (257x196, 10K)

Oh, this applies to browsers as well.
Fuck firefox and chromeshit, I'm sticking with webkit frontends and/or seamonkey until a better solution pops up.
surf seems to be the most ideologically pure out of the bunch.

base and redpilled

off topic but what's that pc in the pic?

Install Gentoo

did you not read my post?
anything using the linux kernel is affected, de-blobbed or not.

You're right.
This whole Linux mess made me go all in on the open and free software camp.

Frankly I think it's high time we had some fresh interest and new blood on other projects and new ones. Linux and Firefox are old hat, time for new innovation and hype.

a hipster is always one step away from a fascist

Does it support TRIM yet?

>thanks to theo being "difficult"
another OS with a single point of failure then.

>another OS with a single point of failure then.
I agree. What other alternative do we have though?
Even if Theo get's terryed there's really not much that can be done to poz OpenBSD. The only real impact the OS has is SSH and SSL, they can just fork it or whatever and leave us be.
Work on it. Seriously. Email theo about what kind of implementation he would allow and do it. I would pay you for it.

What do you use computers for, OP? Are you a sysadmin? A programmer? What are you practical goals?
>What good is using linux if microsoft, google etc are literally controlling it from within, financially and now ideologically.
What is good about Linux is that it works. In many, many cases Linux distributions let you solve your actual business domain problems cheaper and quicker than any of the alternatives, whether free or nonfree.

I've been running OS X Leopard on a PowerMac G4 as my main OS for about a year now. I've found it incredibly useful, especially after I got gcc6 built for it, which allows me to run a full up to date set of the GNU coreutis and many many more utilities aimed at GNU/Linux. My only gripe so far has been the inability to run modern x11 apps due to the lack of a modern implementation on Leopard.
However, as we speak, my machine is compiling Apple's current version of LLVM (using gcc6). This might mean that if I manage to pull this off, I'll be able to compile modern native OS X Leopard builds of FOSS software. That's if the frameworks haven't changed a lot. I hope I can at the very least manage to build modern XQuartz, which would allow me to run most up to date graphical stuff for GNU/Linux on Leopard.
By the way, remember Leopard is pretty much abandonware at this point, and is not affected by nuApple's retardedness. And most of its core components are open source. If we could get modern software running on it, this might be the perfect desktop OS for those of us wanting to move away from both the software and the hardware botnet.

Attached: Picture 2.png (1920x1200, 1.73M)

Too long did not read

>I've learned that the ideology and philosophy behind a project matters just as much as the code.
He who fights with ideologues should look to it that he himself does not become a ideologue. And if you gaze long into an SJW, the SJW also gazes into you.

Only if it has continuity with recent powerpcs (like the Talos II).
Because, we're going to run out of PowerMacs at some point, and they're quite old and may stop working at any point

>Either you move to a project that truely respects your freedom or you stay on linux and admit that you're just being a hipster.
..Or perhaps the third option, you've got to fuck off, people use free software for different practical reasons, not just pristine ideological superiority wankathon that can be sustained only in the First World, where people can contemplate on the loftiest matters, unhindered by life, as long as they have nothing better to do. You're promoting hipster thinking here, not Linux users.

>cat-v shilling
>he doesn't know about the openbsd blob problems
Look up LibertyBSD. Did you really think you could escape the tranny botnet so easily?

Attached: chess.png (640x480, 29K)

fucking kill yourself, riley

This is the first argument defending the BSD license that I agree with. This has really made me think.

>What is good about Linux is that it works. In many, many cases Linux distributions let you solve your actual business domain problems cheaper and quicker than any of the alternatives, whether free or nonfree.
So does windows. And most of the useful enterprise tier linux/unix software has some kind of windows implementation.
Again, at this point the linux kernel is as much of a microsoft product as windows is.

You're only upset because I'm right.

>Again, at this point the linux kernel is as much of a microsoft product as windows is.
If you ignore the license and all the fact that a dozens of other large companies work on Linux without having total control over it, sure, it's literally the same.

sharp zaurus cl3000, don't bother they are like 100 bucks and in yahoo auctions its like 80 to buy one and u gotta pay shipping. i wanted this pc too but its just too fucking expensive for a mutt like me

If this can gain some momentum, we might be able to get someone like Cameron Kaiser onboard of such a project.
I'm pretty sure getting an OpenFirmware/OpenBoot implementation running on the Talos wouldn't be hard at all (relatively speaking)
Considering POWER9 has brought back some of the dual endianness stuff available in the G4s, it wouldn't be hard to hack something together to make OS X think it's booting on a G4. The issue comes with hardware support. Graphics cards are relatively easy, since the last G5s shipped with PCIe cards. Same with SATA, USB and all other kinds of I/O. The issue would be to see if OS X plays nice with the PCIe and memory controllers, and other system devices.
One approach to fixing this would be writing fcode into the firmware to fool the OS into thinking it's running on an old platform, and implement traps to do stuff which escapes the modern equivalent's grasp in a different way. Kind of how OldWorld Macs presented their completely different system architectures as the same to the OS.
The other approach would be to build native kernel extensions for XNU, which should be tedious but straightforward if the current Linux kernel modules were to be used as a base.
Or, you could just run OS X on top of a very slimmed down Linux-based hypervisor (using qemu-kvm), and add PCIe passthrough to the I/O cards.

>dozens of other large companies work on Linux without having total control over it
Their collective contributions control the kernel.
How much freelance code do you think there is in linux compared to enterprise/corporation provided code?
The bazaar model falls apart when the merchant's guild controls the market.

No, but your SSD's firmware does.

Stop with this. It doesn't do it properly.

Got numbers?

teddy tso did a whole article on it. search for it

OS X PowerPC builds will not run on POWER9. The only thing mentioned here which would be doable is running it in an emulator. Even then there are some pretty significant architectural differences between POWER9 and a G4 or G5. The way they handle memory is different. So different in fact that OS X Tiger runs like shit in QEMU/KVM on POWER9.

Your efforts would be put to better use working on native Linux or BSD POWER9 solutions. Work on writing a window manager and a GUI toolkit, or modify existing ones. You can build something like OS X or better.

>LibertyBSD
This isn't a ylyl thread

i know right
>accuses people of shilling
>shills his removal of one line from the openbsd init scripts

Enjoy your blobs, cuckolds.

>Their collective contributions control the kernel.
Yeah, and they're competitors (thus, Linux is not a Microsoft product) and the license is still GPL.

>ports exist
>thus everything is windows
How do I contact the men in white coats?

Who's competing?
Microshit, apple and google are not in any serious competition, in fact they're basically symbiotic.

>On being a software hipster
>promoting OpenBSD
You missed the one chance to mention OpenIndiana Hipster

What's one thing that you can do on linux that you can't do on windows through cygwin or that subsystem thing?

You still don't get it, do you? Technology is never going to bend to you, only you to it.

TedOS is the only OS if you want to be free.

Attached: ted operating system.png (857x2200, 1.4M)

Getting Windows virii

My point is that people use linux to be hipsters, because at the core the kernel is essential a microsoft product.

You should check Cameron Kaiser's blogs for more info on this. He got OS X under qemu on a Talos to outperform any G4 system ever made, for example.
tenfourfox.blogspot.com
talospace.com
>Your efforts would be put to better use working on native Linux or BSD POWER9 solutions
The point of this personal crusade is to move away from Linux. And I'm pretty damn sure NetBSD will get ported to the Talos soon enough.
>Even then there are some pretty significant architectural differences between POWER9 and a G4 or G5.
The XNU kernel iself is open source too, maybe it could be patched to overcome those. Some people have managed to boot Tiger on PowerPC 60x CPUs with a modified kernel, for example.

Have self-respect.

wow using an "open-source" throughly pozzed system is so much better than using a closed source pozzed system.

>Microshit, apple and google are not in any serious competition
This is simply false. You can't tell the difference between a dynamic equilibrium and nothing happening.

>big rock

albertafriend?

They all have their markets of gullible idiots that very rarely overlap, while google controls most of the internet "userland"

Linux is a kernel, not a system, but otherwise you have posted a completely true statement. Software freedom is freedom to remove the poz. How do you disable the telemetry on Windows 10?
You sound like the sort of guy who can't tell GCP from CP. Do you work with computers?

but Linux IS an operative system

>operative system
glowing

why aren't we looking at RISC-V as the correct path?

doesn't POWERPC have a bunch of motorola and IBM proprietary shit in it?

we might as well build it open from the hardware up

>katawa shoujo runs on OpenBSD
hell yeah, I'm fucking down

>another RISC-V nigger spouts off about shit he doesn't understand
RISC-V as an instruction set architecture is open source but there are no open source implementations of it that exist. Let me repeat that for you, dumbass, THERE ARE NO OPEN SOURCE IMPLEMENTATIONS THAT EXIST. There probably never will be. And no, a bunch of fucking NEETs will not be able to make their own silicon. It's absurdly expensive to buy the equipment alone, let alone set it up somewhere, make a clean room, hire hundreds of engineers, and then package the chips you make. And you won't even have motherboards to use them.

POWER9 is just as open if not more so than RISC-V shit. Take your meme architecture and go back to r*ddit.