Ask Jow Forums how do I learn to code to be a game programmer

teachyourselfcs.com/
>ask Jow Forums how do I learn to code to be a game programmer
>spend some time watching the lectures
>is gay engineering shit without application to game programming

can u niggers tell me how do I become a game programmer, not a CS loser?

Attached: 1538361161604.jpg (885x960, 104K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nigelgriffin.com/notebook_warrior/ebooks/Math, Physics and Algorithms/Mathematics for Game Developers.pdf
humblebundle.com/books/game-development-books?hmb_source=navbar&hmb_medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=tile_index_2
cl.cam.ac.uk/teaching/1617/Graphics/materials.html
web.stanford.edu/class/cs148/lectures.html
gdcvault.com/play/1023152/Technical-Artist-Bootcamp-Shaders-101
theory.stanford.edu/~amitp/GameProgramming/
youtube.com/watch?v=Nsf2_Au6KxU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Just give up already you brainlet faggot.

>learning compilers, ASM, machine language, registers, servers and a bunch of CS shit is needed for game programming

First, get a standard calculus text and dive in. You should also get linear algebra and discrete math books as well; make sure the discrete text is proof based.

Once you're a couple chapters in to your discrete book (you will want to have covered basic proposition and higher order logic, and basic proofs), you may begin learning programming and computer architecture. As a litmus test, if you don't know what this statement is

∀P((0∈P∧∀i(i∈P-->i+1∈P))-->∀n(n∈P))

you aren't ready to take the reins of a computer.

Now, forget what you do know about computer programming:

First, you learn boolean logic operations
then, you learn transistor logic
then, you learn how to build functional units from logic gates
then, you learn CPU design
then, and only then, you learn assembly language
then, after you have mastered assembly language (not dabbled, but mastered it), you learn C
then, after you have mastered C, you may learn the higher-level languages of your choice, but you will always use C and assembly as your primary languages because everything else is unnecessary bloat.

By this time you should be finished with your first wave of math and ready for the next: abstract algebra, analysis, multivariate and vector calculus, and, after you have progressed a way in those, topology.

Finally, you become familiar with topoi, and study the internal logic of categories
then familiarize yourself with (general) type theory, and its applications to programming. I also recommend studying how to reformulate mathematics in terms of globular categories for use in automatic theorem proving, because there is an inherent programming-like 'feel' to it.

Attached: 1528204956825m.jpg (1024x576, 85K)

this is useless for gamedev.

Calculus is barelly used in game programming.

I recommend you a book "How to kys if you're disgusting attention whoring dumb frogposter".

>can u niggers tell me how do I become a game programmer, not a CS loser?
Read these books.
This is a troll.

Attached: 1505546396485.png (865x1645, 1.26M)

just use unity lol

that shit will make me a Computer science loser, not a game programmer.

Can't you understand the question?

u n i t y

>calculus is barely used in something that is trying to emulate movement and physics

Attached: 1530243280083.png (386x386, 62K)

most of that shit is already implemented in some library, or useless for 2D shit like mario physics.

Just become an Enterprise develop. I haven't done math in 5 years

How is it useless for 2d? Wouldnt it just be physics in in 2 dimensions?

>cartoon physics

?

class player()
{
int x;
int y;

Vector2 speed = Vector2(0,0);

func Update()
{
if (Input.is_pressed("jump"))
{
speed.y = -100;
}

if (!self.grounded)
{
speed.y += time.delta;
}

y += speed.y * delta;

}
}

This is pseudocode, but this doesn't need calculus.

>op wants to be a epic lel vidya developer yet can't be assed with learning basic calculus, physics and discrete math concepts, the thread
And this is exactly why i don't take "gamers" that attempt to get into CS seriously

I've been self teaching myself coding in the last 4 years, but my knowledge is clearly now limiting myself.

I can code pretty much what I want, but I want to know what topics will help me become a better game programmer.

I know I need to study these:

>Algebra, trigo, calculus I, linear algebra
>Networking
>algorithms and data structures
>Optimization
>physics
>Computer graphics

I already know several languages like C, C++, Java, gdscript, python and C#

But I wanna know if those topics are enough for game programming.

And I already said I want to be a game programmer, not an engineer or math faggot or CS loser.

If you don't know any of those things you are not a programmer whatsoever, the fuck are you on about?

I want to become a game programmer and most of the shit in a CS curriculum is useless for gamedev.

Even learning the math is clearly useless because most of the details are implemented by the engine.

I wanna learn topics that will help me make games, not masturbate to some sorting algorithm.

>This is a troll
And yet CS degrees actually make you take all that shit

You're never gonna make it and you're fucking retarded if you actually think calculus and physics aren't useless for gamedev, just kys if you're not baiting

nigger, I'm asking for help.

>Networking
>Optimization
>physics
>Computer graphics

I'm literally asking you if there's another topic I need to study?

You may as well go to college then if you're going to go through all of those books

you don't need calculus. Just understanding of algebra.

That's ignoring the fact most game engines have built in libraries anyway.

How long do you think learning all of that is going to take you? Just go to fucking school and stop your pointless whining about being a "cs loser" whatever the fuck that even means
This mentality is part of the reason why video games are so shit nowadays

ignoring the link literally says teach yourself computer science, here's advice from an actual games programmer

>learn C++. It will teach you the fundamentals of how game programming works (memory management, OOP, etc)
>make a basic 2D game in c++ with 2d libraries (there's gunna be a shittones of tutorials out there), it doesn't have to be good, even a basic platformer that has 5 levels and save files will give you shittonnes of necessary knowledge
>once you've made something that's passable as babbies first game, make another one. this time improving on the mistakes you've made in the first one. Change the genre so you have different challenges (if you did platformer before, try top down shooter)
>now you've made two games, you understand the basics of programming, you can try other languages and engines like unity c#, or c++ in unreal engine

What's important is you have a finished product at the end, even if it isn't good. Pottering around with tech demos leads you nowhere.

Good luck user.

Nice bait op

the reason why games are shit is because AAA executives are draining the industry for all they can with shitty DLC and lootboxes. The developers using premade libraries aren't the problem.

nigger, I don't want to be a CS grad.

why can't u understand I am asking about game programming, not CS.

you're literally asking me to learn civil engineering when I want to learn to build houses by laying bricks.

you said you've been teaching yourself programming for 4 years
just make a crappy small game and then add a feature, then another, and another
boom you know how to program a video game

You're the one being a nigger here pal.

Lmao this has to be bait, I refuse to believe you're being serious here. Even if you somehow manage to learn ALL of these things on your own, most companies aren't going to hire some no name self taught idiot when they have dozens of applicants of people who actually gave a shit and went to school. What's the real reason you don't want to go, afraid you'll fail and flunk out because you can't pass pre-calculus?

but I lack the tools to make complex even 2D shit, like a rigidbody collisions.

I'm literally asking for help, I guess I could read those math for game developers books.

I've been trying to watch lectures on math, but is so fucking boring and I just hate that shit.

I was watching a lecture about computer science math and the professor keep asking questions about how do we know truth, how do we prove truth, no, nigger, I don't care about your phylosophycal garbage about math masturbation, I wanna know how to make a camera turn around a character like in Mario 64.

I want to make my own games, if I wanted money I would do other shit than gamedev, like doing webdev for some goverment shit.

it's not that complicated. games are just a subset of application programming. you can either write everything yourself or use a games centric IDE.

>I don't care about your phylosophycal garbage about math masturbation, I wanna know how to make a camera turn around a character like in Mario 64.

Lmao you stupid fucking nignog

nigger, I'm asking for help.

>Networking
>Optimization
>physics
>Computer graphics

I'm literally asking you if there's another topic I need to study?

>I'm literally asking you if there's another topic I need to study?

no.
and you don't even to study that stuff you listed.

I love how OP ignored this and continues to complain he doesn't want to do CS or learn math
People have told you repeatedly what to do you stupid nigger. Fuck off and kys already

is a math for game developers better than a CS book?

No clue, but it's most likely going to be the same as a regular math book. Only instead the authors will throw in stupid terms and memes to cater to fags that would waste their time on something like that

nigelgriffin.com/notebook_warrior/ebooks/Math, Physics and Algorithms/Mathematics for Game Developers.pdf

This is literally all the math I need.

I think at this point we can safely leave the thread knowing op has been baiting us

You do not want to learn "game programming" user, what you want to learn is "game design".

Game Designer and Game Programmer are very different jobs that sometimes but not always overlap.

Attached: 1534722568633.jpg (697x688, 80K)

It's definitely bait, there's no doubt about it in my mind. However Jow Forums is kinda shit tonight so I stopped caring.

Just start coding shit (in C++, the single most hireable game development language) and google any problems you encounter along the way.
You'll learn much more from your own mistakes and successes than you ever would from some book or these faggots pushing calculus.

Show me one job involving cpp that doesn't require calculus

Muh strawman

Most games don't implement calculus directly. Trigonometry is essential for managing movement, and matrices are handy for things like transformations and scaling, but engines typically use an iterative step-based approach.

Read this one book. Plain and simple.

Attached: 41KJ0h77MWL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (260x321, 12K)

Is this book bundle worth it? humblebundle.com/books/game-development-books?hmb_source=navbar&hmb_medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=tile_index_2

I looked through the contents and that book is literally no different than any other intro programming book

>all these intro to programming books have similar contents what the fuck

My point is that book isn't really anything special and recommending it is stupid. The only difference is that it uses "gaming" examples and exercises, that's literally it

thanks for the thorough review user

Explain to me how using that book will turn you into a gamedev, other than that it has the word "game" in the title

> I wanna know how to make a camera turn around a character like in Mario 64.
Go download unity or unreal and do a camera tutorial

But if you want to it the hard way, you will actually need to learn some math first, matrices, vectors, and quaternions are your basic building blocks for 3d stuff

>In b4 OP says "dur engine does that for me dur"

Not him but you were just bitching about how the standard cs curriculum is boring and you just want to learn how to make games. user then recommends an intro to programming book specifically tailored to people who want to make games and you still complain. I don't think you're cut out for doing this op

I'm not OP you imbecile, I'm just pointing out that recommending gaymer coding books is stupid as fuck. But yes I agree OP is a massive retard

>recommending gaymer coding books is stupid as fuck
Why?

Games programming needs good mafs

Are you dense? Let's try this one last time. That book is LITERALLY, LITERALLY no different than any other intro to C++ book, other than the examples and exercises using gaymer terms. Do you understand now?

why are you upset that some people like information tailored and presented in a different way than you

contextualising the information for a specific industry isn't a bad thing user. While other books may handle text serialisation using csv datasheets, this game one may use it in a saving level context. Helps with understanding the content. I used an "intro to c++" trying to do game development, and found I had to internally convert how to apply things to wrap my head around the subject.

Some people learn differently.

that's the most autistic formulation of induction I have seen. A must if you want to make games about trains

but hard way is hard
can't I just drag n drop stuff into a window and make stuff move?

>wtf i just want to meak games

Games aren't technology.

If you want to be in game studio as worker or make your own games.

Usually games using 10 to 20 times more people making graphics design,animation,design level(very basic programming) over pure programmer and even begin few programmers making game engineer.

Go mostly jobs are temporal contracts or freelancer.

As personal project use 2D Engine some good programming language bases or some iOS/gamemaker or mobile 2D engine for mobile game industry.

3D use unity to avoid C++.

About game programmer in 3D Industry mostly just join assert or help gameplay/design levels, C++ is a must you need low latency,memory mananger and performance tricks, using debug for GPU code performance, because this a lot programmers just prefer work in other tech jobs over gaming industry for money.

Usually Math and CS topics are for computer graphics

A lot profesor upload note course from CS, check operative systems and other topics

cl.cam.ac.uk/teaching/1617/Graphics/materials.html

web.stanford.edu/class/cs148/lectures.html

Computer graphics need math representation objects(polygons,vortex,ligth) and working over it need Diferential equations and lineal algebra for shaders and structures need data structures and algortihms, a lot paper or technical books assume you know this as basics plus some basic ligth physics and geometry(high school geometry and some 3D extensions).

Check video programming talks in GDC.

gdcvault.com/play/1023152/Technical-Artist-Bootcamp-Shaders-101

theory.stanford.edu/~amitp/GameProgramming/

youtube.com/watch?v=Nsf2_Au6KxU

haha I remember this copy and pasta on reddit

It was first posted on /vr/
[spoiler] I would know because I was the one who crafted it [/spoiler]

>Retard who has never used a game engine giving advice on what to learn
Honestly the only maths shit you'll really need to know is linear algebra, even then if you're working on simple 2d games you'll likely intuitively pick everything up.

-Install Unity
-Make games
-Disregard nerds

honestly 100% this, you'll learn everything along the way. Just don't take hacky shortcuts on the important things like vectors and you'll soar past all of these nodevs quick.

you posted this yesterday and everyone told you you were stupid and should just start programming games

>Retard who can't even spell math correctly giving advice to anyone

Attached: 1526672111291.png (493x653, 375K)

>retard doesn't understand that their are different ways of spelling things and that other countries have different registers standards of writing and speaking

im with you OP. don't listen all these CS nerds. just use a game engine and you can learn shit along the way.

i'll list a couple

Unreal
Godot
Source(more difficult to use but more optimized and can be specified more)
Unity
Armory(still in development but has good ideas)
if the game engine camera can support orthographic view than it can do 2d games.

Unity, Unreal, Gamemaker, MonoGame, Love2D
nobody should use Godot and Source

You really think this fag is going to learn linear algebra when he refuses to learn and can't do calculus?

calculus is pointless for games

Calculus and Linear Algebra are two different fields of math. you don't even need to learn one to learn the other.

Actually based.

gayme programmers are just badly paid cs losers

hardly. most of them are just scripters, artists, and technical people. the engine devs are the cs losers.

devs using premade libraries are actually part of the solution.
Devs don't need to waste their time on re-implementing certain algorithms for the N-th time and can improve things that are easier to see by gaymers.
The same applies to licensing engines or using already existing ones.
I hate lootboxes. I can accept DLCs if they add something into a complete game, but there's no excuse for lootboxes.
Lootboxes are 100% gambling.

yeah then you piece of shit house gets blown by a gust of wind and you come crying to us when it happens

I honestly believe being able to create the art is a lot more important if you want to make a game.
When you start to combine it in an editor you will automagically learn basic coding anyway.

yep, it's funny that amateur game devs don't see that today game engines aren't that specialized and contain tons of useful stuff coded into engine.
No, today if you want to rotate camera engine does that for you, but you need to tell the engine exactly how to do that and for that, /agdg/ niggas need some linear algebra understanding.

yes friend, this is required unless you wanna fail.

.t game developer

Basic knowledge of discrete math, algorithms, and computational complexity are required if you want to make a game that won't brick your computer. Take a proof based intro to algorithms course and stick to it (you will probably need some knowledge of logic and discrete math going in). Then buy The C Programming Language and learn C with some small projects. You're pretty much set.

Use a graphics library like SDL or SFML and wrap it in an event based state manager, and you have yourself a game. I hope you're good at art and making sprite sheets because that'll probably make up more than half of your time developing it if you're serious.

Or stop bitching and just go to school for CS because that will be much easier in the long run, then make a game. No matter what your instincts tell you, I can assure you almost everything you learn in CS (barring prerequisites like calculus and physics) is relevant to what you're trying to do. If it's too much you should find another hobby more suited to your lazy manchild sensibilities.

t. software developer and hobbyist game dev

Attached: 1536009239805.png (1296x1458, 217K)

>The C Programming Language
I agree with almost everything you said except this. The book assumes waay too much knowledge on.the reader to be useful for beginners

OP said he's been self teaching for 4 years though. He should have more than enough knowledge for that book.

Learn algebra/trigonometry/geometry
Learn basic foundation of logic
Learn beginner programming

You now have a solid foundation for a programmer.

Good point I missed that

>beginner programming
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but would that include:
>Printing text to the screen
>variables, types and operations
>selection statements
>loops
>arrays
>methods
>recursion
>OOP
am I missing anything?

>printing text to screen
Aka learning Input/Output functions
>variables/types/operators
Basically how to manipulate data

Also, critical is how to use libraries/third party.

If you're simply learning, Python takes care of this easily.

>Also, critical is how to use libraries/third party
So like import statements in Java?
Also, how do we turn our code into a fully functional program (that regular users can use). I know it has to be compiled, but then what? Is that where build systems come in? Thank you btw