Vim

should i learn how to use vim? does it have advantages over other text editing software or ide's?
how could i learn to use it properly?

Attached: 1528263097357.png (163x209, 2K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vimuser.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

use vimperator or a web browser with vim controls

thank me later

Why do people say “learn vim”
It takes two fucking seconds to figure out how to use vim

vim is for volkswagon leftist elites

use emacs

+1

With evil

This

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEmacs

'i' inserts

run vimtutor

dw deletes word

Learn it OP, it's a great lifestyle. It starts with editing a few files, then a good amount of jjjjjjjhhh in other editors. Next thing you know $EDITOR is set and you've added set -o vi to your shell. It's never enough. You install vimperator and some VSVim, HJKL is your new WSAD in gaming and Meta-HJKL moves your mouse. You install wasavi so you can use Vim in webforms and get a QMK compatible keyboard so you can take your freakazoid keybinds wherever it gets plugged in.

It's a great lifestyle choice. The hardest part is telling your friends you use Vim. It's more degenerate then crack, but it's so so good.

There's no shame in sucking a dick for a sexy vimrc.

Before we had nano, vim was the small editor that was installed on every Unix and Linux and often the default editor. You don't need vim anymore.

Question is what will you do with it? Vim can be powerful, with syntax highlighting and high level functionality. It requires learning, though, and today there's few people who develop with editors like vim, they use IDEs instead.

But this is the thing, Vim for some is a way of editing as opposed to a program named Vim. If you look at all that software I listed, you can see it has deep influence.

The Vim extension for VSCode allows you to have your cake and eat it too. You don't lose out on the quality of life improvements from a IDE but you get a decent subset of Vim features.

Anyone have experience with using vim on non-English keyboards? I'd like to get into it, but would I have to rebind everything for QWERTZ?

Why do all browsers have Vim extensions but no Emacs extension?

because vim > emacs

Attached: 5134961F-58E4-46E9-A9D2-E8515DD73E42.jpg (480x480, 40K)

Because Emacs doesn't have meme modes and meme kjhl keys, it's just a plain editor for casual people

If you are dealing with structured text, sure.

Learn vim or maybe kakoune.

Because emacs wants to use all modifier key combinations in all situations, and they are already bound to the browser or DE/WM its running in.

if you ask yourself that question, you dont need it

vimuser.org/

Attached: DW.jpg (236x174, 7K)