When was the last time AMD/ATI had the undisputed fastest graphics card in the world?How did they fall so far behind?

When was the last time AMD/ATI had the undisputed fastest graphics card in the world?How did they fall so far behind?

Attached: 220px-2013_AMD_Radeon_HD_Logo[1].jpg (219x185, 12K)

Other urls found in this thread:

computerbase.de/2018-09/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-test/6/#diagramm-gpu-compute-radeon-pro-renderer-baikal
github.com/ROCmSoftwarePlatform/
anandtech.com/show/5775/amd-hd-2000-hd-3000-hd-4000-gpus-being-moved-to-legacy-status-in-may
anandtech.com/show/9815/amd-moves-pre-gcn-gpus-to-legacy
youtube.com/watch?v=qspdnAYiiug
youtube.com/watch?v=xlQokQsbKlc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

tesla/fermi era and because gaymurs didn't buy their cards anyway

maybe
>ATI Radeon 64MB DDR VIVO AGP
or whatever ati had before the first xbox released.
iirc nvidia was doing poorly, and had to go into consoles.

295x2

but AMD gpus are the fastest at compute. it's just that nvidia's are better in the on special case of drawing triangles. and that's all gaymens care about.

I bought an R9 280X for $75 used.
How did i do?

Good

>AMD gpus are fastest at thing no one needs
>nvidia gpus are fastest at things people use gpus for
Kind of makes you wonder why nvidia gpus are so popular.

>no one needs general computing
>people need vidya
fuck off /v/ermin

What do you mean? AMD has been the king for years. Nvidia GPUs are only usable with their harmful proprietary drivers. Meanwhile AMD works great with the free Mesa stack and contributes to upstream projects.

>amd gpus are in consoles
>cuda is widespread

computerbase.de/2018-09/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-test/6/#diagramm-gpu-compute-radeon-pro-renderer-baikal

>AYYMD
>compute
TOP KEK

NVIDIA, FASTEST IN GRAPHICS & COMPUTE

7990 290x2 so 5-6 years ago
I had a 290 390 and 390x
The 390x was great but got too slow for medium settings in alot of games and a rx580 is faster
Have a 1080 now
Tried a 56 and wasn't a fan I'll wait for 7nm

>fuck off /v/ermin
>amd gpus are in consoles
>cuda is widespread
Sciencethots use cuda while play around on amd.

>AMD has been the king for years. Nvidia GPUs are only usable with their harmful proprietary drivers.

LOOOOL

Dude AMD doesn't have any free drivers, they all use proprietary blobs.

Nouveau and Intel are the only free drivers.

Attached: sheep.jpg (650x488, 145K)

>How did they fall so far behind?
Because retards. AMD has been ahead so many times (and at cheaper prices) but retards still flock to buy nVidia cards.

Retard consumers (mostly in US) only want AMD to be competitive so that they can buy shitty nVidia GPUs for cheap.

>amd has been ahead at thing that doesn't matter
Reeeeeeee fucking consumers.

Because "character" is not a way I want to describe computer hardware.

While my vega 64 is surprisingly powerful, it has a lot of character that I am beginning to hate.

Attached: nitroplus64large.png (1024x1024, 740K)

I've got a Nitro+ LE 64 as well and aside from a few quirks it's been running perfectly for me.

>Few Quirks

You know exactly what I am talking about.

What quirks you lying faggots. Have you updated drivers, or are you the type of faggots who don't care to keep your system up to date, but complain about "quirks".

If only amd drivers got their shit together at openGL in windows I would dump my gimped gpu (gtx 970) and upgrade to freesync&vega64

I've tried all drivers from 17.0 up to 18.9.2.

So far only 18.5.1 is stable for me. Any hint of overclocking of any kind results in a black or solid color screen lockup during a lower power state. It never crashes under full load, only during lower power states. Even power target is finnicky and results in crashes.

Only bone stock settings, no undervolt, no overclock, no power target, will give me day after day stability. And in that form, the amount of performance lost over even a minor undervolt is massive.

No kidding, openGL is 99% of what I am using.
I went to AMD because I figured vega would be as standout as ryzen was. Oops.

RADEON is great on lunix
just sayin

physicist here. amd gpus are inferior to nvidia gpus for physics calculations, simply because opencl is far inferior to cuda. it doesn't even have a complex data type, thus libraries using opencl does not support complex linear algebra

No it wasn't you fucking lying piece of shit.

They made vast improvements i.e. unusable to unstable. The sad fact is that most steam ports are tested on Nvidia and work 100% flawlessly on Nvidia.

Fucking go to literally any Linux steam port of any half recent game and it will be literally flooded with comments about how shit isn't working right on AMD, muh white screen black screen corrupt textures corrupt mouse pointer xorg crash kernel panic etc.

> is
>was
do you even english?

>muh gaymes
>muh steem
kys

I wish freetards would leave f a m
anyway when is 12nm Polaris coming?

as a GTX1070 owner i want to see something not all about novideo and their stupid RTX meme cards
C'mon amd give me somthing reeeeee.. leaks ANYTHING worth talking about.

>67871480
get updated

github.com/ROCmSoftwarePlatform/

I love my radeon graphics card it keeps up with the high demands I put on it by streaming videos and using Microsoft Word and Outlook.

That was deliberate, all radeon cards are old cards.

there will be no badge to show everyone you fit in

it's also a driver fgt

Nvidia's FX series was absolute garbage and ATI was better then. Wasn't the 7970 Ghz edition faster than the comparable Nvidia graphics card at the time?

Keep buying nvidia :-)

Basically yes but it goes much further back
The HD4000 series was easily preferable over the GTX200 series
The HD5000 series was superior to the GTX 400 thermi house fire series
HD6000 and GTX 500 was mostly the same but with improvements on the previous arch
The 7970 and later 7970 GHz was the fastest because Nvidia saved their X102 silicon for TITAN after they realised how much stuff they can get away with by just being Nvidia.
Also the 7000 series finewine'd themselves into something FAR superior to the 600 series while still being good at day 1
The 290X was actually the fastest GPU for a while and forced Nvidia to release the 780ti with the full gk102 silicon, insulting literally everyone who bought a much more expensive, cut down variant of the same chip on a TITAN
ATI/AMD have held themselves very good despite gamers just buying Nvidia regardless of how good they are

Unfortunately, miners broke AMDs neck with the 200 series and Nvidia released Maxwell, pretty much the first series since the 9800gtx that was actually good.
AMD wold have eventually gone south, these two things just accelerated things to what we have now.

The day when amd makes good drivers is they day i would actually post anything good about them.
>6 year old uvd bug still not fixed

My last AMD card was a 7970 back in 2011, I think they were the best around that time

I had a 7950 until 3 weeks ago

>Keep buying nvidia :-)
I just started buying nvidia last year. No complaints.

anandtech.com/show/5775/amd-hd-2000-hd-3000-hd-4000-gpus-being-moved-to-legacy-status-in-may

LOL NO, HD4000 CUC_KS GOT ABANDONED WHILE SMART GTX 200 BUYERS CONTINUED TO BE SUPPORTED FOR A LONG TIME

anandtech.com/show/9815/amd-moves-pre-gcn-gpus-to-legacy

SAME THING HAPPENED AGAIN TO HD5000/6000 CUC_KS WHILE SMART FERMI BUYERS GETS LONG DRIVER SUPPORT WITH WDDM 2.3 & OPENGL 4.6 ADDED

STOP TRYING TO DEFEND YOUR GARBAGE AYYMD TERASCALE HOUSEFIRES

>miners broke AMDs neck with the 200 series
? (yes im illiterate)

>using proprietary software

Attached: 8ossp.jpg (125x117, 9K)

Cuda is fucking thrash

>Cuda is fucking thrash
But it's easy to implement, and used in a lot of software.
Meanwhile AMD is amazing, but there is nothing in the world that can use it's amazingness.

Fermi era, but gamers are braindead so nvidia housefires sold more than AMD.

>because gaymurs didn't buy their cards
Stop this bullshit and give us some credit. We aren't irrationally buying the worse product because le green team ecksD. We are buying the more polished product.

I went AMD this gen (580) and I'm honestly not sure I'd recommend it. Compared to the competing 1060, I got slightly better performance, notably better value for money, and freesync. But I paid the cost of shitty drivers.

Even the best implementations of freesync are a bit janky and have flicker issues. Still much better than having no adaptive sync, but gsync does not have that problem. The latest AMD drivers have bizarre OpenGL issues that break some old Doom games still in popular use. There has been a serious multi-monitor bug (turn off your secondary monitor? Enjoy constant stutter on your primary!) for many driver releases now, with no fix in sight. HDCP 2.2 still doesn't work. It's pretty much unacceptable honestly.

I had none of these issues with my old 960. It was overpriced and underpowered, but it worked perfectly. Next gen I'll probably just bend over and accept the Nvidia+gsync tax, because at least it works reliably with no randomly broken features.

>While my vega 64 is surprisingly powerful, it has a lot of character that I am beginning to hate.

Like what?
I fucking love my Nitro 64, LOVE.

Miners bought a lot of AMD GPUs, overclocked them to the max and mined Bitcoin with them.
You might have seen some reports of 200 series cards having a massive ~10% failure rate. This is why.
On top of that, AMD completely misread the situation and increased the production of their cards, only for the mining boom to collapse and flood the GPU market with boatloads of cheap used GPUs.
They couldn't sell their cards, where forced to write a lot of them off and left in a very weak position.
This is likely why the 300 series was just a rebrand, why the fury series was so delayed and shit and high-end/mid-range had to be split up with Polaris and Vega.
AMD got fucked by miners

Is a known Nvida shill and has been btfo before ignore and filter.

AMD is the only modern option on GNU+LINUX

lol.
Nvidia overproduced millions of 10-series gpus.
Thats on reason why the 20 series is so fking expensive so they can sell overstock of 10 series.

>nvidia shill
I think user just dislikes amd.

>user
Meant 愛してるさわこ
>AMD is the only modern option on GNU+LINUX
You could still use an intel igpu, or an nvidia on proprietary drivers.

Fastest card doesn't mean much, AMD held this dubious honor with the R9 295x2 and even possibly the Radeon Pro Duo, but they were both extremely hot and expensive dual GPU cards. Likewise ignoring server cards it usually goes to one of Nvidia's Titans which nobody actually buys, almost everybody stops at the X80 Ti grade cards.

What you really want is fastest single GPU card within the rich-but-not-insane-gamer price bracket, which AMD hasn't had for a long long time.

>Stop this bullshit and give us some credit
LMAO
The adrenaline drivers were far better than what Nvidia had.
Have you even seen the Polaris numbers?
Gaymurs literally just bought more expensive and sometimes straight up inferior 1060/1050tis instead
No wonder Lisa canceled Vega gaming optimisations, made Vega 7nm datacenter only and sold Navi to Sony
It doesn't matter how good AMD is, gaymurs will always buy Nvidia and just want AMD to be competitive so they can buy Nvidia cheaper
Based Lisa is putting an end to this

what about the amdgpu driver

>gaymurs
see

who the fuck is lisa
she hot?

lisa ann

>Gaymurs literally just bought more expensive and sometimes straight up inferior 1060/1050tis instead
Bullshit. It takes years before AMD driver could make the 580 to stand toes on toes with the 1060 and by then miners fucked thier prices up pretty good.

I had a 970, it refused to wake from sleep (Linux), rendered the login terminal at about 480p (Linux), multi-monitor came un-stuck constantly and was much harder to set up/get to behave how I wanted (Linux & Windows) and the actual driver configuration hung every time you tried to do anything at all (Windows). I actually bought an RX 480 pretty much on launch day to get away from it. As far as I can see for every shitty driver story on one side there's a matching one on the other side.

All I can say is that the drivers for my Maxwell card were perfect. Are you saying the Pascal drivers were terrible?

>As far as I can see for every shitty driver story on one side there's a matching one on the other side.
AMD folks just like to pretend that drivers where always perfect for amd gpus, and that nvidia cards absolutely can not be ran with linux.

The answer is here, 6000/7000 series.

Back then ATI wasn't acquired yet by AMD, nvidia pulls this off for instance cuda being superior to open CL by being proprietary.

I think the 2080ti is 2080 and the next release would be Titan because the gaymer market cannibalizes their pro sales just like during Maxwell

GPUs have mainly shifted from compute to AI

dont all the working drivers for it still require binary blobs in the kernel?

think so, firmware thingy

The 290x traded blows with the titan. 7970 was the last clear winner before the 680 came out. Or if you mean graphics card and not just GPU I guess the radeon pro duo in 2016.

Attached: pcb2[1].jpg (1600x1131, 763K)

Attached: 5063480.jpg (300x300, 12K)

>that pic of linus
nah more like this pic now

Attached: JUSTFUCKMYKERNELUP.jpg (810x708, 135K)

Your delusional if you think Nvidia's drivers and software are still better than AMD's these days.
Nvidia's have gotten far worse the past 2 years while AMD's keeps getting better.

Are you running 2 year old drivers, or something?

All I know is that my 960 never had random issues like the ones I'm seeing on my 580. And I was using it until a few months ago so no, it wasn't on super old drivers.

Based on that experience, I'm very likely to go back to Nvidia for my next GPU. I'm willing to pay a bit more for a product with a higher justwerks factor.

The 7970 still beat the 680 after driver updates despite the 680 coming out later, though.

And yeah, the Radeon Pro Duo was still beating the 1080 and Titan XP in games that support Crossfire and DX12 like The Division.

There is definitely a problem with some versions of drivers requiring a roll back. But that same issues happens with Nvidia, too.

I've tried several different versions. 18.5.1 is the last one that doesn't have the stuttering bug, but new games refuse to start with that version. 18.9.1 fixes the stuttering but only if I turn off HDCP completely on all monitors. No change in 18.9.3. Some versions seem to support HDCP and others don't; HDCP 2.2 *never* works, even on the versions that show "Enabled". No 4K Netflix for me.

All versions have a freesync bug where the display will randomly start flickering between my monitor's min and max range (40-60hz). It usually happens after exiting a game and is only fixed by restarting the monitor. 18.9.3 claims to fix this, but it does not (and yes I did do a complete clean install with DDU and safe mode and etc).

I'm sure there have been bad Nvidia versions. I personally never encountered any. So far /every/ version of the AMD drivers has been bad. I don't just have a lemon card or a snowflake setup, these issues are widely reported. They just can't or won't fix it.

Learn to check benchmarks/reviews before buying

R9 290X

Attached: gk9MvzJ.gif (800x800, 48K)

>Not buying Ayymd cards for keeping your feet cozy during winter gayming

Still have a 290x, I can't find a good reason to upgrade, seems fine at 1080p.

>When was the last time AMD/ATI had the undisputed fastest graphics card in the world?
When the 290X released, maybe?

If it makes you feel any better my gsync monitor only works on like 25% of the driver releases. I usually run the hotpatch drivers.

>When was the last time AMD/ATI had the undisputed fastest graphics card in the world?
When the 290X came out, maybe? As long as you mean fastest single-GPU card I think that was it. I think it was slightly faster, at least if you kept it from thermal throttling.

Sounds pretty shitty, I never had such FreeSync issues like 3 years ago on a 4K 60Hz monitor. I remember even using a custom monitor driver to get the minimum refresh rate down from 40Hz to like 33Hz and never saw any flickering.

It works as expected while a game is running. When I exit the game, it seems to have a random chance of getting "stuck" in a mode where it flickers between 40-60 on the desktop (and subsequent games) randomly. Need to restart the monitor to fix that, which obviously means all of my carefully-placed windows get reshuffled.

Guys I'm thinking of buying a Vega 56 am I making a mistake?

Attached: nervous.jpg (960x1231, 159K)

>so far behind
The market for any GPU stronger than an RX580 is a minority.

The RX550 is a good poorfag card, and the RX560 is good for the wealthier poorfag, with a 4GB model as well. The RX570 and RX580 have GREAT cost-benefit.

And that's for gaymen. Outside of gaymen, nVidia really is chink hacked shit. The standard for CAD design is AMD because their drivers are the most stable and compliant with official OpenGL specs.

Sure, Vega is a meme so far, but it's not their most important segment.

>buying things
that's how they get you

Let's see
I think 7970 vs gtx 680, 5870 or 4870 vs 8800 clones, one of those if not both, and definitely 9700 pro vs fx5800 hairdryer.

youtube.com/watch?v=qspdnAYiiug

back in the days, I paid 2000 Francs = 300€ for my ATI 8500 pro. And that was to of the line. Nvidia had the GeForce 3 that was 3000 Francs, for similar performance, but it has to be said, it launched quite a while earlier.

This is still the price point for video cards.
Nobody in his right mind buys 500€+ cards.

AMD is the current for fastest CPU, literally nothing intel makes is even remotely close to the 2990WX in sheer speed

AMD was last fastest in gpu when the 290x launched and it remained disputed with the 780ti and 980 until nvidia launched the 980ti and AMD never regained the title of "fastest gpu" since

"Budget" GPUs nowadays, like the 560 and 1050 ti run currents games on ultra at 30 to 60 fps.

Kids these days don't even know the real suffering experience (like mx440 or fx 5200 days) unless they're stuck with Intel HD Graphics.

My rule of thumb is nothing more expensive than half the price of a current gen console, at least every 3 years.

>290x
Sorry, I skipped that generation.
A friend got a 290 non-x, and just hearing it for 5 minutes was all I wanted to know about it.
Also, pricing was shit.

2990wx is 3ghz?

All core boost. Looks powerful as fuck.
Are you saying this is low?
Are you trying to drill a black hole in your motherboard?

I remember buying my 9800 Pro to play Unreal Tournament 2004 *click* *sips* those were good times.

I rocked that card until the HD5850 dropped because my AXP board bought the farm and AGP was dinosaur tech. I was still playing Source gaymen that ran good on that hardware.

Ran that 5850 until a couple years ago when I got my R9 290x for 100 bucks and I still have it on my Threadripper 1950x, what a fantastic card. Plays AAA titles on 1080p well over 60fps. I don't know if I'm going to upgrade or just slap another 290x in Crossfire, but I've been very happy with the card.

I think the whole graphics dick measuring contest is stupid. I periodically play Unreal 99 still, on a 3dfx Voodoo 5500 and AMD K6-3+ 550 overclocked to 610mhz, on an ALi Alladin V ASUS board, Baby AT form factor, and regularly #rekt people in Facing Worlds and TDB-Crane who are probably playing on fucking 1080ti SLi setups or something asinine.

Don't spend money on cards to play games you suck at or will never git gud at.

Don't shit on AGP.
I had a HD3850 AGP, and it was on par with the PCI-E model.
Dear gods, I played Crysis on this thing.

>unironically defending AGP

Attached: [HorribleSubs] Asobi Asobase - 02 [720p]_00:08:12_01.jpg (1280x720, 104K)

youtube.com/watch?v=xlQokQsbKlc

Can it run premiere without crashing, or davinci resolve with a smooth timeline, and tnr?
Probably not, but I bet that it's good at databases.

Oh, I didn't realize it was (you).
Why are you still making those threads, when you're a fucking single isolated case?