/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.
*Many free software projects have an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: 1538376571462.png (967x593, 24K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dyne.org/software/tomb/
itwire.com/open-source/84683-linux-code-contributions-cannot-be-rescinded-stallman.html
sfconservancy.org/news/2018/sep/26/GPLv2-irrevocability/
lkml.org/lkml/2018/9/20/444
lists.debian.org/debian-user/1997/04/msg00016.html
youtube.com/watch?v=PjvnP9IYqxA
support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/OpenCL2-Driver.aspx
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

in b4 op image delete

Why? I find it very aesthetic
I literally can't stop staring at it for some reason.

Any good word processors that don't look like ass?

I installed OpenOffice for about 7 seconds before I -R'd that ugly shit

No. We only like ugly programs.

Thanks for spamming Jow Forums with your shitty general OP, your giant dick picture is an accurate representation of the current state of Jow Forums.

vim+LaTeX

Tripfags fuck off

In the day and age of men oppression, dick waving is not only encouraged but mandatory.

Can you recommend me a simple way to encrypt a directory in ubuntu?

basically i want to be able to simply encrypt or decrypt it in terminal and if it's decrypted i can use it as an ordinary directory.
when encrypted i don't want people to be able to be able to tell ho many files are there and such

>your giant dick picture is an accurate representation
Indeed.

Tomb is simple as fuck, and just a wrapper around luks
dyne.org/software/tomb/

But not as accurate as your butthurt newfaggotry. Perhaps the next OP should attempt to capture it in image form somehow.

there problem with these small indie projects is that they aren't exactly trustworthy

Is Linux Mint for babies?

Jow Forums why didn't you tell me to enable tearfree in radeon.conf
why is ATi so Jow Forumsreat
how can Inlet™ and nTeria even compete

you can that in nautilus, look up seahorse

So I just realized that it's possible to solve these new captchas now with Javascript disabled.

It just shows the image grid as a single image with checkboxes on it.
Why does this image not show up in the w3m browser?

Does anyone know how it might be possible to watch a cytu,be channel in mpv?

Its all in shell script, and its only 3000 lines. If you are paranoid, just read through it. As i said, its just a more intuitive front end for luks, and that has been audited and is air tight.

#!/usr/bin/env bash
[[ "$(uname)" == 'Darwin' ]] && exit 1

isn't that kind overcomplicatd tho? you can mount and umount luks container with just like 2 commands

On my linux server I put a a .7z with a bunch of pictures on it (~2GB) and whenever someone tries to download it, the download fails.
Where can it come from ?
Is it my server that is fucking up somewhere ? my internet connection ? his connection ?

Only oldfags will get this

Attached: 1122446472.gif (331x255, 979K)

Did you try it?
Afaik they did lots of free software stuff like dynabolic and devuan.

Trying to setup gentoo using Sakaki's guide, only difference is that I'm using F2FS for the root partition.
I made sure that F2FS stuff is enabled in my KConfig and rootfstype=f2fs but im still getting an error telling me that my luks partition doesn't exist on boot :(
Is there anything I am missing, or should I just restart with ext4

All I tried was "mpv " but it doesn't work. Failed to recognize file format.

>should I just restart with ext4
^

>snap packages have their configuration files under snap-specific directories
please tell im mistaken and this is not correct
no one can be this retarded

Attached: 1494653585222.jpg (641x608, 136K)

>Using canonical garbage

Guix/Nix are the answer

>page 8
GNU/Bump

if you've been running linux or unix for at least 10 yeras and aren't using arch or gentoo why even bother

Can someone walk me through setting up a Linux install to properly use a USB audio interface?
Without getting crackles in the audio etc.

OK. How the fuck can i compile a kernel module? Based on tldp turorial the make don't give a shit about the source file and just move in and out of the include directory.

I installed debian on your incubator machine while you slept in it. Your mom still wants to kill me for it.

so I have this old ass Satellite L300 latptop that I'm using as a samba and rtorrent server.
Works great except for the fact that the fan comes on when CPU is around 45C, spins for a couple of seconds and then stops again.
I want to modify the fan curve so it comes on only when it really needs to, around 60C+.
The problem is that pwmconfig, part of fancontrol, doesn't detect any PWM-capable sensors.
Is there another way to control the fan on a old laptop?
I'm fairly sure the laptop allows it, if I coldboot the laptop the fan spins at a constant speed when the kernel and initrd are loading, and stops before I get to TTY login.

maybe the acpi or the processor module controls it?

how do i fix rendering issues in LXDE?
sometimes buttons, texts, or even parts of a window cannot render properly in lubuntu (which i pretty sure is ubuntu with LXDE)
what can i do to fix this?

All I have in /proc/acpi are two folders and one file, none of them are related to fan control or even temperature. Must be the cpu module then.
Any way I can control it?

install youtube-dl so you can view urls

Which kernel?

4.4 LTS, but it shouldn't matter.

But which kernel?

How the fuck do I switch caps lock and backspace on linux while maintaining the key lock thing?
I'm on Manjaro using GNOME. I've found plenty of semi-working solutions, including those in the GNOME tweak menu, but nothing that works perfectly.

Currently emerging @world in my first gentoo install and was wondering, since gentoo uses sources do I need a big ass root partition? I have arch on sda1 24g, left 24g free on sda2 (gentoo) and sda3 is home. I am not using LVM, so is 24g enough for install gentoo?

Attached: 1535279396692.jpg (451x451, 18K)

Intel has the same option, named literally the same. Perhaps if you weren't so retarded and actually knew things, you wouldn't be so obnoxious. Cunt.

Guys I literally cannot stop sucking dicks

For the same software installed, you need a bigger one than for ubuntu for example, but still need much less than for windows. 20-30GB should be enough, especially if you don't plan to compile gigantic shit like browsers or office suites.
Also, compilation and source files take up extra space, but you can "move" those to another partition easily with settings or symlinks.

using tranny os is wrong

>being a faggot or a street shitter is OK, being trans is not
fuck of SHIT-lord (pun intended)

Hmm...

>"[...] they are bound by the GPLv2 themselves. I checked this with a lawyer," said Stallman, who started the free software movement in 1984.
itwire.com/open-source/84683-linux-code-contributions-cannot-be-rescinded-stallman.html

>By modifying or distributing the Program… you indicate your acceptance of this License to do so, and all its terms and conditions for copying, distributing or modifying the Program or works based on it.
sfconservancy.org/news/2018/sep/26/GPLv2-irrevocability/

>unconditionedwitness@redchan
>redchan
lkml.org/lkml/2018/9/20/444

Is is after all just clickbait drama?

None of those things are ok

We noticed.

> if something is named literally the same it must work the same
>calls ME retarded

roses are red
violets are blue
while (true)
pacman -Syu

Yes

Now it should be

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a broken Unix terminal from '96.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the transexual community without installing anything.
2) Dual boot two dicks in your ass
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with a new code of conduct

Linoox is gay now.

Attached: 033ad8212073c8da.png (1280x791, 220K)

Libre Office, same family but with constant updates unlike Open Office

Works in my machine™

Might be theme related? Watchu using?

Attached: 1495312724343.png (1622x970, 359K)

Lubuntu-dark-panel
its one of the defaults

based tripfag

I knew it...
lists.debian.org/debian-user/1997/04/msg00016.html

What's the easiest tool to record a Linux boot iso on Windows?

what do you mean by "record a linux boot iso"?

> What's the easiest tool to record a Linux boot iso on Windows?
audacity

Get rufus.

It's a better description than 'burning an USB', at least.

>It's a better description than 'burning an USB', at least.
Oh, that.
Grab win32diskimager and write the iso to the USB drive (it's just the dd'ing it under real operating systems).

I meant burn, not record lol

The best filemanager?

midnight commander

coreutils

I like thunar. Lightweight, does the job, everything else is CLI work anyway.

Can i list all the installed programs (or at least the ones without guilty) in the terminal? I assume yes, but how?

in debian like systems there is
dpkg -l

gentoo

First run 'man hier' to learn about the GNU/Linux file hierarchy, then pick a directory.

ls /usr/bin/*

For packages, ask your package manager.

f2fs has built in encryption, why are you putting a layer of LUKS beneath it?
>you need a bigger one than for ubuntu for example
you don't need a whole lot. the more you have the more you're compiling the longer it will take you to update. you will stop updating things like chromium, webkit, and firefox when you realize you'll be compiling all day every day to keep them up to date.
>in linux, everything's a file!

is it possible to make a hard drive music where I put my music that I can access from either my linux or wangblows partition?

Or is there an easier way to go out about this bros

Attached: 1526272269991.jpg (720x960, 167K)

But then what does this mean?

Attached: firefox_2018-10-01_10-44-19.png (282x257, 34K)

use a filesystem that both can read/write
linux can read/write ntfs with ntfs-3g

s/\*//

>your giant dick picture is an accurate representation of the current state of Jow Forums.
How isn't this a compliment?

GNU/Linux*

Attached: 1537843572238.jpg (1536x2048, 450K)

Windows NT, what do you think

hard drive partition*

thanks pal

How do you respond when people call linux communist?

This
Make a seperate NTFS partition on windows and install ntfs-3g on linux, read the ntfs-3g article on arch wiki to see how it works.

you don't

"install gentoo"

>a rare GNU/Linux development footage
youtube.com/watch?v=PjvnP9IYqxA

This.

I have already installed the amdgpu-pro driver, but I want to run and write opencl 2.0 stuff, do I just need to install this support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/OpenCL2-Driver.aspx on top of the current driver or do I need something else?

I'm going to turn my raspberry pi into an ldap server so everything will authenticate against it since it's a low power always on device.
any problems with this idea?

Not particularly, I think

I just got Debian testing thinking it'd be like Arch Linux with the benefit of deb files, but there's still so much outdated software that I am honestly just going to switch back.
And no, I'm not just going to get all the deb files manually and suffer when pacman's default repositories already have the latest versions of software I need without any configuration. Emacs 25, for example, is not compatible with my configuration.
Time to install Arch again I guess, it seems it's the only reasonable option to use for something that just werks and for no bloat.

Attached: asdas.png (485x236, 11K)

What size should my Root partition be on a 1TB drive?

Attached: 1536963396103.png (519x506, 203K)

solitary polite and desperate bump

30-40GB