Japanese geocities is going down next March. Shocked there's no thread. A lot could be lost

Japanese geocities is going down next March. Shocked there's no thread. A lot could be lost

info-geocities.yahoo.co.jp/p/close/

Attached: 1469255448917.jpg (999x860, 145K)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/textfiles/status/1046669423413669888
google.co.in/search?q=site:geocities.yahoo.co.jp
fauux.neocities.org
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

They still used geocites?

>A lot could be lost
like?

one post by this hat
this is a slide thread

kek

probably only trash weebs would care about

Get someone to archive it. There are groups who would.

Countless doujin circles and individual creators have their sites on geocities only

Hopefully someone on ArchiveTeam can speak moon and get it archived.

why care they'll move some where else just like everyone else.
the japanese would just make a server for their web crap groups anyway if there was a need.

It'll be pretty hard to get an exhaustive list of sites hosted on it.

twitter.com/textfiles/status/1046669423413669888

someone tell them about neocities

it's not shutting down for random reasons, they're kiking it up by forcing the free users to either use a BBS or buy a yahoo geoplus webhosting subscription. poor nips

They'll probably turn it into something like FC2 with paid subscription model. It's garbage

Neocities is implementing IPFS DNS "distributed web" dystopian nightmare shit. It's not an option

Are there any differences?
I know Neocities is in the same spirit as Geocities in the US but has Geocities evolved in Japan since its close in the US?

If not, they have no reason not to use it. I'm pretty sure it's free and backed by IPFS so even if the owner shuts down all the content should survive on that network if people have mirrored it (which is even easier to mirror than typical sites).

In what way is permanence a bad thing. This is exactly why we need it.

what's wrong with distributed web? doesn't everyone here keep jacking it off to a future blockchain based distributed network

I've only ever used old American Geocities so I'm not sure. I do know Geocities Japan has some specific features Japs like but it shouldn't be too hard to migrate. Neocities is the simplest host there is.

Centralized networks are the only nightmare
>Host your web site for free!...Until we delete it
vs
>Host your website for free...as long as every peer in the entire world can make up even a single full copy combined

The fact that decades of content could be gone overnight is a problem.

Attached: centralized-decentralized-distributed.jpg (600x380, 38K)

>In what way is permanence a bad thing.

Remember when you posted that ridiculous blog update about niggers and whore in college on your shitty blog nobody reads? Well now it's there forever and your future career is forever tainted because of the magic of "decentralized web"

Having my site on MY server gives me a lot of control unlike collectivist hivemind bullshit decentralized internet.

You say that as if you own the Yahoo servers.
People posting to geocities are already not hosting their content on their terms.

Data archival should be considered more important than personal vanity anyway.
Nothing prevents people from archiving your posts today. As evidenced by the archive services, screenshots, etc.
I can't agree that we should use a fragile system for everyone, just because someone might get embarrassed by their past mistakes.
We stand to lose too much and it should not be that way.

google.co.in/search?q=site:geocities.yahoo.co.jp

?

This is dystopia outright. The "collective" does not own your shit. I said MY server. I don't give a shit about some fucks corporate servers, but MY server is my own. I know that some may capture my stuff but that's they're own choice as an individual. I take the risk by putting it out there but it's not certain because most wouldn't take the time to do it. In any case, in the EU right now we have the law "the right to be forgotten" and this is a matter of personal liberty. Distributed internet is against EU law because it is tyranny of the collective against the individual.

I guess you can't relate to all this because you've probably been a shutin since your youth who has never done stupid/reckless things in life he regrets.

Neocities is not YOUR server in the first place, why bitch about their usage of IPFS?

Everyone makes mistakes and we should all be held accountable for them. The majority of people I speak to are willing to openly admit things they've done in the past that were bad, it's a display of growth, not a mark of shame.
Hiding this only hinders us.

More on topic, nobody is saying you have to use either of these. This thread is about geocities, not your personal site. If you want to host your site in a traditional way that's fine. But for people using geocities, they obviously want someone to host it for them. In this case, a decentralized network has nothing but advantages.

>the www should be fragile for everyone because I want to say nigger with impunity
jej
Even 20 years ago the phrase "if you post it on the internet, it's there forever" was common. Especially on this very site.

Please post sites of interest. I'm curious what's hosted.

Also accepting neocities links
fauux.neocities.org

>Having my site on MY server gives me a lot of control unlike collectivist hivemind bullshit decentralized internet.
>implying mirroring your site on YOUR server is not possible

>if you post it on the internet, it's there forever
That. It seems boomers have forgotten and zoomers never learned. It was a common say 20 years ago yet is even more true now that archiving has become easier.

I think they're mad at the fact someone else could mirror (and host) their site in 1 command. Yes it's more complicated than that today but it's not much more complicated. Literally wget and some archive format.
vs
ipfs pin add *hash*
It's not like it's harder to archive data today. The real advantage comes in redundancy of that archive data.

Nobody benefits if you wget something unless you host it. At which point you have 2 instances of maybe the same thing. Where with IPFS you have 2 peers/nodes hosting the same blocks for sure. Like Bittorrent.

I don't know how anyone sees this as a bad thing. Most people center around creating and maintaining data, not deleting it.

>Most people center around creating and maintaining data, not deleting it.
I wonder who's actually in favor of cens...deleting data

Attached: 5b01c769a0f58a7a07a22e0dbc1bc7e91b7a60d971e2a3eaa5cfb742e876130b.jpg (1133x809, 47K)