Is Wine finally usable?

Is Wine finally usable?

Attached: image.jpg (523x547, 160K)

Other urls found in this thread:

appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=32254&iTestingId=89616
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Implying it wasn't usable before

Wine is a solution to the problem that doesn't exist.

install windows

It was very usable ever since 3.0, so yes.

It's been usable for ages, now it's usable on dx11. The idea of dx11 in current year has always been unusable.

yeah

Attached: 2018-09-30-202409_3840x1080_scrot.png (3840x1080, 2.15M)

i use wine with touhou, works great

Major changes been happening this year that won't be on stable until 4.0 this january.

All my filthy VNs work flawlessly on it, so yes, it is.

it may not be stable for a long time dude, especially now that dxvk and proton are being worked on

I can't get either steins;gate to work, even with play on linux

*sip*

I played Yume Nikki, so it works.

Did you follow this?
appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=32254&iTestingId=89616
Solved the issue for me.

>Doesn't just werk
the absolute state of lincucks

Original Steins;Gate runs out of the box with Proton. No special config needed (for me atleast).

No! Wait for ReactOS 0.5.
It uses much code of Wine.

>try to compile hello world via gcc and run it
>doesn't just werk
>need a full blown environment emulation to do it
The absolute state of Windows.

It works for Elona and Notepad++ I don't need more

Attached: Capture du 2018-09-28 19-17-21.png (1366x768, 1.11M)

But it does.
>*Opens Ubuntu For Windows TM*
>*dabs*

kys

Are you illiterate? He literally said "needs a full blown emulation environment".

Windows 10 including that stuff is an admittance of defeat on Microsoft's part, don't you think?

>taking obvious bait

Attached: Screenshot_20181001-113510.png (1080x1920, 178K)

/thread

Infact, Steins;Gate 0 works perfectly with Proton as well, just need to bypass the absolute retardation used for starting the game (replace boot.bat with a copy of launcher.exe renamed to boot.bat and add "EN" as the sole commandline argument in steam). The only issue I'm seeing is the game animating too fast, but it doesn't affect videos and only has a cosmetic impact on gameplay.

Attached: 1451723691219.jpg (499x324, 14K)

reminder that you can search this with
ddg.gg/lite/?q=site:winehq.org+yourshit

It's just a matter of time now until most games run faster on Wine than they do on Windows.

>*most games that are decade old run faster on Wine than they do on Windows
You forgot to tell about bugs and random crashes

>You forgot to tell about bugs and random crashes
Sorry, no blue screen simulator in Wine yet. You'll have to live without them.

Anyone here use FL or Ableton in wine?
Heard FL works with some tweaks but Linux audio looks too unstable and annoying to use

nope

and I think is better to stop using it

- is not good for security
- is not good to make aware devs we need stuff for linux also

>- is not good for security
elabore

Yes.
It's just not for gay men.

can execute even viruses from windows, yes, code pieces or scripts can take over your system, even if it's linux

there are lot of pages about that shit all over the internet, just google and document for yourself

>- is not good for security
Spotted the retard who can't into sandboxing.

you can't sandbox wine unless you run it into a vm, and there is not point anymore to run wine

Good taste in games.
>tfw quit windows cold turkey in 2015 and had no reason to come back because of how good wine is for games
Being able to get work done is a nice plus.

what is it with this cloveros stuff? Is it a meme?

user, ever heard of kernel namespaces?
ever heard of Flatpak and Snap?
Do you know you can package a Windows app as either of these or even a distro package?
and last one... I do this, I package Windows programs and gaymen into Flatpak, Snap and sometimes into DEB and PKG, too.

no dude, you don't understand, there is no code isolation on cpu from flatpack or snap or whatever, is not really a sandbox, the only real sandbox is a vm

Look at Proton

It's a nice distro that has a binhost with a wide variety of games, emulators, virtual machine software, and basically is great for playing games.

Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl worked out on the box but I've also had old shit that has no right not to work be an absolute nightmare

it's useful but frustrating software

Attached: 2018-10-01-165011_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 1.25M)

Wine is great. I have Ableton Live 10 and Photoshop working very well and also few visual novels.

i'd rather set up GPU passthrough and have everything work straight away

I could argue that sandboxing never existed and never will because someone will discover a CPU bug that will allow him to escape it.
No matter what part of your entire setup is doing the sandboxing and on what level it occurs, something may eventually break out, just state of technology.
To prevent a trojaned gayman from doing nasty stuff like changing your dotfiles or installing a Firefox addon things like kernel namespaces or just separate users are more than enough.

Absolute horeshit.

its a meme distro

I still cant make 7zip work on it

>video games
grow up

>FL and Ableton
>not using LMMS and Audacity master race
I shiggy diggy.

He's right though. Wine does not and cannot isolate processes or permissions. A malicious program can wreck havoc on all mounted petitions, including Windows partitions on dual-boot. It can still modify any files on your /home/ directory, open ports and download/execute scripts.
A worm with network capabilities would be able to infect a network from a GNU machine no problem.
That's the sole reason why Wine refuses to run as root. A virus like iloveyou would literally rewrite all of /.

you have fucking ruined this little idiot and made him think the world is magic

What?

usable wine for android would be appreciated