KDE Neon Now Based on Ubuntu 18.04 ‘Bionic Beaver’

KDE Neon Now Based on Ubuntu 18.04 ‘Bionic Beaver’

I'm pretty fly for a linux-nerdy guy

Attached: kubuntu-beaver-menu.jpg (800x450, 37K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Jazqa/kwin-quarter-tiling
github.com/faho/kwin-tiling
store.kde.org/p/1176904/
github.com/ishovkun/SierraBreeze
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

looks worse than windows 10 somehow

Never understood the appeal of KDE aesthetically. I prefer Cinnamon and Mate.

Matter of preference. People who are more used to different OSes and the like. There's baby ducks or people who want more or less features for one reason or another.

Mate is simplistic and if you're used to that it's great. KDE has features that macOS/Windows 10 users and the like are looking for. More "convenient" shit but you might not need it or use it.

>KDE has features that macOS [...] users and the like are looking for.
Like what? I'm genuinely interested.

It's because of the fonts and probably higher DPI setting.

>No wayland yet
>Somehow more broken than GNOME
I root for KDE, i really like their direction and ideas, but'm gonna stick with GNOME until they fix it.

F U C K

Y E A H

D I S T R O S

D E S K T O P

E N V I R O N M E N T S

>even linux desktops are catering to mouthbreathers

I think I'm done, bros.

Attached: hanged_self.jpg (400x400, 19K)

gay anime wallpaper

Not him but kdepim integrates everything with akonadi. Thus i get new mail notifications without even opening kmail or all the other shit kontact integrates with, like calendars, notes, or other alert systems it has. Also, it's flexible as fuck so i have permanent close/max/min buttons on a top bar at the top right and can blindly manage windows without the need to search for buttons. The tiling scripts are mature enough and i have globally disabled the thick titlebar and have all the goodies i3 gaps has without the downsides (no integration with anything).
For performance, i disable compositing via alt+shift+F12 in the case i have to use wine to game (only native games set proper wm hints to disable it automatically).
There is probably even more but this is all i care about at the moment.
can't say i have ever had anything break. I use kde since shortly before kde 4.0 came out and never did something break on around 4-5 machines i had. Probably because i only buy hardware with mostly open source drivers so no nvidia and laptop shit in my house.

The global menu for instance, works pretty well compared to the same function on basically any other DE available that's still being updated (unless someone's working on a fork of Unity). Dragging and dropping shit offers more options, there's Dolphin which has a tree view with details, like Finder. It has its own notification center and some other shit. kio-gdrive works better than any other (free) google drive service available.

>global menu
better than Cinnamon?

Unless they have worked out a decent global menu plugin for it this year without me noticing, yeah.

Hell last year I couldn't even install an applications menu that wasn't the default without it displaying garbled shit all around.

The start menu is shit desu

How do you do tiling then?

It's always about being better windows
KDE3 was better xp, 4 was better vista and plasma is better 7. Actually plasma is so good MS basically copied most of the UI for winshit 10

is it still buggy as fuck?
t. KDE Neon user

github.com/Jazqa/kwin-quarter-tiling
Quartering my view up is exactly how i like it. More than 4 windows get new activities for them so i don't lose out on screen real estate.
Others would like github.com/faho/kwin-tiling better.

That first script is the kind of shit that I wish other DEs had. Mouse friendly quarter tiling with automatic resizing, proper padding and shit.

Agreed, that's what i think of when DEs implemented "tiling" in the past. boy did i look disappointed when i found out it is just slamming windows to the screen edge. I think only windows 10 has actual tiling now and everyone else aped Vista's/KDE's screen edge slamming. No clue who did it first but one of them was it.

>wanting your DE to look like Winshit10
Just stick with Plasma

how do I upgrade OP, Im currently on 16.04 KDE Neon stable, do I have to just reinstall from the new ISO. Their instructions on just upgrading are literally just run discover, but nothing shows up for me...

Nah, the only things Windows 10 has that previous versions don't is:

-Snapping windows to corners
-Snapping windows to sides adjacent to other displays on multimonitor setups (for some reason you could only do this with the keyboard on 7/8.1)
-Resizing 2 windows when they're put side by side
-Showing currently open windows on the opposite side when snapping one window to one side

Nothing that can compare to that one script as far as I know. Not on macOS, not on Windows. Can't see any other DEs have plugins or shit like this. Maybe some tiling window manager works like this, I dunno which.

KDE defaults always look like ass.

*krashes*

Attached: kde.png (481x233, 269K)

KDE looks pretty "meh" on defaults. But it's incredibly customizable to one's preferences.

Plasma 4 is so 2005, like O M G, do you nerds even follow design trends?

I challenge people to show me any defaults worth a shit on any distro+DE.

Elementary is pretty alright, Mac-clone though it may be

You can make KDE behave more like macOS than elementary can with any modification. I always thought it was pretty bootleggy, not even attempting to copy some of the popular shit from macOS like the global menu, launchpad or shit like that. At best, the music player and file manager are similar. It's like a lot of people just go "some bat at the top and a dock, that's all it needs to be macOS". It's kinda misleading.

bar. not bat. jesus.

Last I tried the global menu, though, it was pretty buggy. As in it didn't really work with most programs, unfortunately.

KDE global menu works wonderfully as of Plasma 5.13, it used to not work with GTK software but now it does for all of them except Firefox.

KDE's global menu? It should work fine with almost everything or not show any options at all. At some point 2 years ago things like LibreOffice shat the bed with it but it should work fine now.

KDE best DE then?

>abandon Windows in order to have a desktop just like Windows

>the problem with Windows is the user interface

Attached: 7AAFA8311D98429BB82EC1A29D942E11.jpg (638x558, 64K)

I've used both, cinnamon have some features, especially I liked USB stick maker with cinnamon distro so I could hop away.

>Never understood the appeal of Cinnamon and Mate aesthetically. I prefer.Gnome Shell.

i rly liked 4 :(

>heh
>nothing personal Kid

The quickest way I found to make KDE look "OSX-like" is to install this theme someone created called "modern" and then install the window decoration sierra breeze. Make sure to install Latte Dock first though.

store.kde.org/p/1176904/
github.com/ishovkun/SierraBreeze

I wasn't really looking to make my desktop look like a "mac-clone" though. I was trying to make plasma function like Unity after it's development died.

Attached: mykdedesktop.png (2560x1440, 3.12M)