State of JavaScript in 2018

Is JS less retarded yet?

Attached: js.png (1052x1052, 10K)

Other urls found in this thread:

developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Equality_comparisons_and_sameness#Loose_equality_using
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn/Server-side/Django/Tutorial_local_library_website
medium.com/@mihaigeorge.c/web-rest-api-benchmark-on-a-real-life-application-ebb743a5d7a3
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

no

no

> dynamic typing

They made the biggest mistake a language designer can ever make. There's no recovering from that.

no

>apply for a dev job
>LOL YOU ONLY KNOW JAVASCRIPT? GET OUT!

What languages should I learn so they wont laugh at me

no

Yes, it has come a long way

if you want a highly payed job with nice benefits, do almost everything opposite as suggested on Jow Forums

>Is JS less retarded yet?
When it stops being used for fingerprint and data mining on virtually every website, that's when it will be.

> good goy. Follow this user and become a wage slave that programs business apps in Java

Theres literally no problem with JS, the problem is, those who develop in js are the lowest tier of programmers that exist, every decent dev is working on backend or more complex stuff.

So the monkeys are the one who uses js the most, and thats why you have the perception that JS is shitty

Attached: 1531690131282.jpg (1452x2208, 553K)

no
the biggest mistake of js is two null values and mutable types, though

Yea, ES6 and Typescript are pretty damn good. Jow Forums is just mad webdevs make far more than anybody doing something in some obscure Jow Forums approved language.

The bigger problem is its environment.

developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Equality_comparisons_and_sameness#Loose_equality_using

Attached: 1537556568363.png (467x262, 192K)

Not really that bad with typescript and something like react, the most annoying thing desu is the analysis paralysis from having to choose between all the different options for css prepocessing, building, etc so just pick the first thing you come across but don't get attached or learn more in-depth than strictly necessary since you might want to switch later. The scaffolding/starter kit projects are really useful

ES6 solved all my problems with js

especially since typescript and some nice frameworks exist (especially react)

if you write code that compares empty arrays against empty objects and such bullshit, you deserve learning this table

otherwise it's a complete nonissue

don't worry if someone will laugh at you user. Just try different languages and deep into one you like most

>The scaffolding/starter kit projects are really useful
Not OP, but someone who is learning JS. What are those projects you're talking about?

just typescript

Not confusing if you understand how type coercion works. Is this the best static typed weenies got?

I used to be a Node.js guru ; started in 2009 and ended in 2018, when I realized that Python 3 is so much better.

Javascript turned to shit ever since Microsoft and Facebook started using it for everything.

Typescript is an abomination and it makes me want to break my computer whenever I see Typescript utilized.

My desk is almost collpasing, and my mouse and harddrive are fucked from all the banging.

This. Also, frameworks written in it.
Or at least ones with decent type definitions.

Donno where else to ask this, so.
A function is just a relation, a map. So JavaScript objects are functions with no abstraction.
Would this be enough to model computation, like how lambda calculus does?

see

>not realizing JS is closest to God.

This is truly Terry's kind of language, he was just too blinded by CIA brainwashing to see it.

Attached: basedscript.jpg (1064x541, 60K)

only degenerates and non-programmers actually use javascript as main thing
html,css,python/php and SOMETIMES some javascript for funcionality is all you need if you are pro

Are you kidding me? Most web dev positions require expertise in JavaShit. You will be using JS to accomplish tasks that you can do with just HTML and CSS, such as drop-down menus.

Newegg and Amazon both use JS for their drop-downs and performance suffers because of it.

This minus the PHP.

You should be using Python or Ruby for any backend development.

Ye. Plus the new ecma features abstract away lots of bullshit. Just learn to do js right, and check out typescript for larger projects.

any suggestions where to learn to transition from php to python for backend webdev? is it possible to retain to work with LAMP but instead of php to use python?

autohotkey

I'm glad you asked!

First off, you should be using a framework instead of writing all of your backend requests by hand. For PHP there is Laravel, Ruby has Ruby on Rails, and Python has Django.

Django and RoR are both feature-complete and anything you can do in one you can do in the other. Django has been described as more explicit and RoR has been described as having "magic."

If you want to learn Django, I *highly* recommend getting started by working through Mozilla's tutorial on it. It's very in-depth and once you're finished you will have a skeleton website that you can use as a guide for your own projects.

Django has its own official tutorial, but I found it not to be as effective or complete as Mozilla's. It's still a decent read, but you'll learn more with Mozilla.

developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn/Server-side/Django/Tutorial_local_library_website

I just worked through this a chapter a day and when I was done I started doing my own things. I really love Django :)

Java

did you have any experience before python/django?
i never used python...

I had a little bit of experience in Python because it was taught at my school before we moved on to Java. It didn't help too much because Python 3 came out which got rid of some weird bullshit that I got used to in Python 2.

I think if you have some sort of programming foundation you will be able to pick up Django a bit of effort. I didn't know any Python functions so I had to look up a lot, but it's a popular language so there is tons of easy to find information for common tasks.

so basically why would I pick python over php?

php

name one use case where doing this kind of comparasions is absolutely necessary.

Python is a better language and more widely applicable than PHP.

dynamic typing is fine, just treat variables the same way you treat them in C and you have no problems

Please respond.

but php is specifically invented for web servers and like 80% of internet is on php

don't listen to this dipshit

observe the job market, pick the one that is prevalent

Deppends
If you are going Frontend, Java is the basic shit you need to know.

If you want to go Backend/FullStack, you'll need to learn oter languages like C#/Java/PHP and basic knowledge of SQL

you learn a language acording to the market, user. If PHP is prevalent in your area, you fucking learn it. If Java is prevalent in your area, you fucking learn it and so on.
>b..but i like ruby
and there's almost nobody hiring ruby developers (at least in my area)

shit, I mean JavaScript/TypeScript if you are going FrontEnd

if we disregard the market for the moment, what would be you choice?

it's personal preference, don't fall for the best language meme

PHP has Phalcon. Zero magic, just fast as fuck.

>tfw web dev is my plan b
>only know js with react and node, php with symfony and fortran

Attached: 800px-Alexander_Pope_by_Michael_Dahl.jpg (800x994, 89K)

that's actually a good start for an entry job, user

>==
>instead of ===

Why haven't you killed yourself already faggot?

There is nothing you can do with PHP in web development that you can't do with Python. It's not even easier to use PHP than Python. Just because PHP was developed for a specific purpose does not make it ideal for that purpose.

This guy has no idea what he's talking about. PHP is on its way out. You can still find jobs maintaining legacy PHP code, but only a retard would start a new project with PHP in 2018.

C compilers usually give warnings when you do dumb shit, unless you're casting to/from void* which should be rare

Too retarded for doing that

>only a retard would start a new project with PHP in 2018.
Not him, in fact I haven't coded with PHP in my life, but for some reason companies are asking for php developers with laravel knowledge lately for some reason I don't know and I don't think it has to do with maintaining legacy code.

he is full of shit and stupid student faggot who jsut learned his language for retards too dumb for more serious languages

As a former Django dev who made the jump to rails, this advice is so dated. Modern php is such a pleasure to work with, and it's much faster than python. RoR is a graveyard unless you're in SF.

There's nothing you can do in python PHP can't.

I remember people saying PHP was utter garbage and a fucking mess back in 2008, but now I see people prasing their new version php7.
What did change?

> when you do dumb shi
then don't do dumb shit

or are you a pajeet?

JS is unironically one of the best languages. After lisp of course.

the version

php (7) is faster
php has a much more mature eco system for web dev stuff
php has better frameworks

arguably it's more retarded than ever

Its called type coercion you FUCKing imbecile

->Being performant.
medium.com/@mihaigeorge.c/web-rest-api-benchmark-on-a-real-life-application-ebb743a5d7a3

Lot of langluage, it's performance and abstractions. People who speak langluage is wrong usually can't handle their "framework" so they complain.

It's patterns that makes programmer a programmer, not lang.

java (spring), node.js and maybe golang in the future

Well yeah. But I was making a point that doing dumb shit in JS usually works without problem and does not give you any indication without linters that you are doing dumb shit.

Are you judging language on how dumb you can be to code?

>these babies shitting on PHP
lmao I'll still be here earning $$$ after your flavor of the year language goes under

/thread

don't listen to the other fags suggesting Java and PHP. Learn Elixir

not much. i couldn't be bothered touching the shit or typescript, because I mostly just implement in C or C++ and use Emscripten to compile to javashit.

I still have to do some interfacing code though between the emscripten heap and browser related javashit functionality.

what the fuck
do you know any js frameworks?

That's not the point retard, the point is you generally don't work in a project alone, there are contributions from plenty of other people who are generally retards, because if the language lets you be a retard then statistically most people will be lazy and write shit unsafe code, meaning neverending issues and bugs.
It really is a shame because I have nothing against web development, but rather the shitty tools and languages that are used today in most places, making webdev a generally
insalubrious kind of job.

Hey there! I own a small consultancy that does nothing but PHP applications (mostly Laravel). Just sold a new project that'll get kicked off at the beginning of the year that's in the low 7 figures. I'll take us about three months to roll out.

I mention it because I wanted to attach a dollar number to how wrong you are. Clients just don't give two shits if you can sell, and as a suite of tools modern PHP is honestly a pleasure to work with in 2018.

What the fuck are you talking about? Node is just a runtime environment, you could write Python on it. Kill yourself/

As another PHP dev making bank (and self employed), I'll second this.

Borning languages rock for pulling in the $$$.

looking for Laravel devs? :D

I honestly want to kill brainlets like you plaguing the Jow Forums section. You've probably never worked a day in your nigger life, and you try to lecture people.

Node.js is a run time environment that is not the same as plain javascript, it uses V8 to interpret javascript, but it has implemented so many extra features to V8 to facilitate accessing the hardware and doing things outside of a browser context.

The reason I despise Typesript is because many of the orgiinal Node.js users flocked to it, because we despised working in C++/Java/C#, but wanted to be able to write websites without relying on messes like PHP & Python.

It was all great and dandy with some retarded libraries coming out here and there that we could just ignore. But ever since Microsoft introduced Typescript, degenerates have been using it and injecting it into the ecosystem everwyhere. You can't escape seeing ts files and even Visual Sutdio Code has binded the default extension with Typescript.

If I wanted types, I'd be using Java or C#, langauges that are singinficantly faster than Node.js. I want Javascript because it's less tedious to write in. I would write a lot of native modules for javascript to hook into my own c++ programs so that I could have reusable code that can be implemented over and over again.

I am incredibly angry that niggers like you who have never coded a single c++ program are now using Typescript as if it's a godsend, like it's actually fucking necessary when you could just fucking use a linter.
Fuck your typescript files.

this is what javascript """programmer""" is
pretentious useless scumbag from reddit
imagine actually using javascript and thinking you are programmer just like system programmers are

We all make mistakes.

The shittiest language in existence. I would rather write assembly

it's still an awful language

that's why shit like typescript gets so much attention - adding seasoning to try and make the shit sandwich edible

fucking hilarious (having used c++ for years and rust for the last few months) watching the js team at work suffer under the yoke of type checking as if it's some strange new form of torture

baito

Anyone for CoC?

JS gets better every year. Currently it's very comfy to use. All the complaints are from brainlets that try to do arithmetic with strings and are mad that the language isn't there to hold their hand and say no you can't do that.

It's not the language which datamines you, it's corporations.
JS doesn't have anything in its spec for fingerprinting or datamining.

Use typescript. It's bretty good.