Operating Systems Battle

What is the best for you? Linux or windows?

Attached: linux-vs-windows.jpg (300x175, 9K)

For me, it's Linux.

Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate x64

Attached: About Windows 7.png (490x428, 28K)

I prefer Linux.

Windows. It just werks

The less I have to use Windows, the better.

Windows because I'm used to it. I should learn linux.

Windows, if you don't mind having yoh freedumb stripped away and live in a golden prison; Linux, if you like living like Socrates, poor in the streets but with a genius mind.

Linux. You can run Windows in VirtualBox when you need Word.

For gaymers there increasing support in Steam.

I run Windows on my gaymen machine, but whenever I do anything useful on it it's through ssh or hyper-v to a linux machine so I've considered flipping it around

I will not use Linux until they make a good mascot, i hate this shitty ugly penguin. And yes, I'm an autistic.

>no need for advanced image/video editing tools
>no need for CAD software
>mainly play roguelikes
>all the software I use is available on both platforms
Linux has no downsides for me.

Windows, because I don't want the tranny CoC up my ass.

Back off about pengu

Attached: download (1).png (257x196, 7K)

Use FreeBSD then its a small satan

macOS (hackintosh)

until the linux kernel coc issue is resolved, i'm staying on win10

It's even worse.

just use Apartheid Linux distro

is that some stupid Jow Forums shit? i don't care about politics. i just want my tech drama free

use Linux or FreeBSD

Windows always been shit tier.

Windows seems good to me, I feel like that's just because I've never used Linux though

Linux. Just works more often and doesn't require dicking around to get it to work.

They all Just Work™ if you have an IQ above room temp and they're all equally, thoroughly pwned so I just go with whatever I need or feel like installing at the time.

Linux.

Leenoox

Linux, it just doesn't freeze/crash/die

TempleOS. Other systems are Bigger Botnet.

Attached: TempleOS_logo.png (650x490, 20K)

This morning I was awoken by the alarm clock function of my smartphone running a manufacturer's spin of the Android Open Source Project.

I took a shower while listening to music on my speakers, steamed from my NAS and controlled using the open source client on my phone.

After that, I turned on my TV to check the weather, making note of the seven day forecast compiled from meteorological data retrieved from the servers of the Weather Channel, a major corporate pioneer in the use of libre software projects in enterprise environments.

I watched this while eating a quick breakfast, heated to satisfactory temperature using a microwave oven sporting a custom embedded firmware based on Busybox, stored half a week before in my smart refrigerator, which displays an obligatory list of GPL software and a download link in the settings panel.

At the appropriate time as kept accurate by public NTP servers, I step into my car while sending a few final emails to my work colleagues through my employer's Postfix server, letting loose a sigh of relief as my last minute schedule updates land on their inboxes quickly and securely.

After spending a day at work without having any of my valuable effort gone to waste due to the diligent efforts of our company's system administration personnel keeping our FreeBSD mainframes running smoothly, I drive back home to my house to my home server system, which has been downloading a myriad of consumable media for me to watch comfortably in my living room using the Transmission daemon and my collection of RSS feeds.

I then log onto the Internet using the Firefox web browser and post on Jow Forums about how using Linux on a desktop is BAD because freetards can't do anything right.

more like temple of cranks

open source =! freetardation
Hence why Linus calls it 'linux' and uses 'open source', because freetards aren't interested in development, they're more interested in hate and exclusion.

Eternal blue???

Patched? All windows versions affected?? Retard???

Enjoy the Windows EULALA

Win 7

Linux sucks for everyday use, so Windows.

Loonix

No, the bugfest that is windblows is barely usable

Windows sucks even more, so Linux.

Windows for gayman, Linux for work/college/fucking around

Install Fedora - nothing works
Install Ubuntu - nothing works

-- mainstream hardware though but no, ethernet card not found, kernel panic ...

Install Windows - it just works.

There's a web version of Word. Also, if you just use Windows you get 100% Steam support and Word and well everything else.

are you retard?

EE use windows not loonix, retard.

vea malparido tetrahijueputa devuelta a su cueva paisa gonorrea

For me, Windows. I mainly use my pc for music production and video work and right now there's not really any compelling Linux alternative for the programs I use. I do have a Linux Mint Mate partition for hobby stuff like messing with my rpi though.

Windows, it just werks and i don't have to google stupid shit to type in a terminal so i can do basic stuff.

Windows (unfortunately) because I need to run Davinci Resolve and 3DS Max. I would move to Linux in a heartbeat if it supported these programs (more like if these programs supported it). I have 3DS render sats installed on a bunch of threadripper boxes for rendering and those are all running Win 10 LTSB, my workstations are much older and running Win 7 64 Pro. I bought like 20 licenses of fucking Win 10 Pro as a CYA measure for chain of title.

>But WTF is your use case, user?!

I own and operate a small but powerful film VFX house.

Android and Linux. There's unironically things that are a bit more optimized on android. I'll be picking up a USB C docking station to connect my 27" gaming monitor, peripherals etc and power for my Note 9 and my E580 so I can switch entire setups on the fly. I got a USB c adapter but the shitter doesnt charge when it's hooked up to hdmi

linux, because I do more than browse facebook and pray gaymen

Windows 10 on my desktop for video games.

Manjaro on my personal laptop.

Kali on my laptop for college.

Windows. I like the .NET tools. I like Linux's simplicity, though, of not saying weird things like:
>Hi,
>We're getting things ready for you
when major updates/installations happen.
Also, every program runs on Windows.

Attached: l1YJIcNXSGBRUxrbtHxgNs6pSMP-Lx9-lrG68UjchvaCA5KjFBw1L9lSDTekr_0f.jpg (736x552, 56K)

But less than any kind of mechanical engineering.

Fuck Windows, is a piece of shit, always been

Use Linux or FreeBSD

I do everything I can on Linux. Unfortunately, all the software I need for PLC-programming and robotics simulations, are Windows exclusive.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1680x1028, 186K)

Gahnoo/Loonix on the Thinkpad from 2013, FreeBSD on the cheap OVH dedicated server.

Is your freedom disposable?

I don't fall for the l33t hacker meme. I use windows. It just works.

Why, NT/GNU of course.

Attached: Screenshot (38).png (1920x1080, 130K)

Prefer Linux.
Had been using Void for few months, but after I changed distro to Manjaro KDE(I like to call it ManDe) I realized how unproductive I was, spending lots of time on useless ricing Qtile and I3WM.

How's life without freedom?

Windows for my desktop pc. Gaming applications etc.

macbook for school.

I have to do my job. You're welcome to try and convince my boss to switch the office over to Linux. But the reality is that there's still loads of software for professional use, that doesn't run on Linux.

Attached: ABB_RobotStudio.jpg (2300x1379, 1.41M)

I think this is reality for most working people who come here.

Linux
Steam + Proton will change everything

>What are wine and CrossOver?

SJW/systemd has no driver for my Windows tablet.

wine works like shit with hardware, you can't even format a usb stick through wine, let alone control some robot system.

noob confirmed

from my own experience this is literally the opposite: Windows just werks and Linux,is buggy

Linux, Windows is good for Excel and literally nothing else

Noob or not, Wine is not a realistic solution. The investment is too large, in both time of implementation, and training of staff. And it could all come crashing down with one update of hardware, software or Wine. Stability is everything for a business. A customer won't pay extra for delays that could've been avoided, and might even take their business elsewhere if it's bad enough.

Penguins

I use Arch

I personally root for Linux(+GNU) but I think you're right. Wine is not reliable enough to use in production environment. You should stick to native programs and use the right operating system for your required software. Of course if the software would have both Linux and Windows client then it would be better to use the Linux version since that system is more reliable and better under the hood. That's why I would like to see everyone migrating to Linux who aren't tied down to Windows in some way. If you can survive with Linux then you should be using it so you can give it one more user in statistics. If enough people are using it, THEN the software companies will be making Linux clients.

Which linux would be the best for my laptop?

my specifications are

Windows 10 home single language

Processor: AMD E1-2100 APU With Radeon (TM) HD graphics 1.00 GHz

Installed Memory (RAM): 2.00 GB (1.47 GB usable)

System type: 64 operating system, x64 processor

Windows (C :) 382 GB of Available from 439

RECOVERY (D :) 2.69 GB available from 24.0

Literally any linux

I'm getting a laptop this week and will be installing debian + kde or kdeneon on it

That doesn't sound like a very powerful laptop. Maybe try Lubuntu or Xubuntu. You can just shrink your big partition and give like 30-50 GB to your Linux partition. It won't fill up that fast and it gives you time to test if you like it. If you can't spare that much it can be even smaller but I wouldn't go smaller than 15 GB.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system
is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

End yourself, Tux is adorable.

Lubuntu or Xubuntu?

Which of the 2 would be the most suitable for my laptop?

linux is just a kernel

>install fedora - nothing works
Understandable. Fedora is like the Ubuntu of professional Linux distributions. It's easy to install and maintain, but hard to use if you are inexperience with Linux.
>install ubuntu - nothing works
How the hell do you fuck up using Ubuntu.

>install install windows - it works
That never happened.

Windows for general day-to-day computing, Linux for programming, pentesting, servers, etc.

What kind of freedom are we talking?

They are both Ubuntu with a different default desktop environment. LXDE or XFCE, hence the names Lubuntu and Xubuntu. The hardware compatibility should be the same since drivers come from the Linux kernel, not the desktop environment. Those two desktop environments are pretty lightweight and should not make your old laptop crawl. Lubuntu might be lighter of the two but maybe a bit more basic at the same time.

>He regurgitates rumors from other retards

>W520 Thinkpad Workstation
Windows 10 Pro
>T420 Thinkpad Couch Laptop
Windows 10 Pro
>X220 Travel Laptop
Windows 10 Pro

Just kidding, they all run Arch.

>arch
Worse than Windows.

You're worse than windows

Even fucking Ubuntu is better than Arch. Could you have chosen a worse distribution?

I'm using linux mint, shitposter

Linux Mint is pretty much Ubuntu for people who have something to hide.
Why must you use Debian derives. Why not minimal Debian install, where you can install a professional distro without anything else, start from the bottom up, and come out looking like a competent human being with a competent setup.

MacOS = the best of Windows and Linux (no bloat or crapware or registration AND unix based).
You do need to be smart to develop for it.

>using a computer
>2018
>the year of the Android Desktop
Wtf are you retarded?

>Linux Mint is pretty much Ubuntu for people who have something to hide.
It's actually Ubuntu with all the options I want already there and those I don't want are just removed.

Windux

Linux is better, it's just lacking native software. The system itself is better.

Attached: 1461186845237.png (509x470, 36K)

Yeah, all the options to hide files you need are at your fingertips.
How large is your CP folder? Fun-fact, you could hide the CP folder from the NSA better if you installed a systemdless distro like Gentoo or Void.

I hate any OS. But Linux is less hated.