/wdg/ Web Development General

Previous

>Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction (independent of your browser choice)
freecodecamp.com
codecademy.com
hackr.io

>Further resources
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap - Frontend+Backend learner-path suggestions
youtube.com/watch?v=Zftx68K-1D4

jsfiddle.net - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your HTML/CSS/JS
3v4l.org/ - Use this and post a link, if you need help with PHP/HackLang

>PHP resources
pastebin.com/gfBPg24A

Attached: preview[1].jpg (590x332, 69K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mikecr.it/ramblings/functional-css/
jsfiddle.net/4zcdvk1b/
jsfiddle.net/ptxsha6m/4/
jsfiddle.net/ptxsha6m/7/
domain.com/download.aspx?file=2066072708&sig=MDMvMTAvMjAxOCAxNjoyNzozNw==
hastebin.com/winicadaru.xml
twitter.com/AnonBabble

mikecr.it/ramblings/functional-css/

I can't even tell if this is satire, but I'm glad I've left the front-end bullshittery and became a back-end developer.

this shit is real, just check WP templates, they have a fuckload of classes, I've seen this in use, mostly in templates be it CSS/bootstrap templates or WP templates

How do I fucking freelance?
I've been programming shit for 7 years now, and I still don't feel confident enough to do shit on UpWork.
I can do shit in all the languages but the things they ask just seem outlandish to me.
Pic related are just some examples of shit I think I could do but I just feel terrified to try.
I also don't have much experience with Wordpress related shit because I can't think of a way to get any.

Attached: fuck.png (1026x1270, 129K)

Attached: Dj6t_k8XgAIMKNM.jpg large.jpg (766x772, 76K)

>API for SQL query from the frontend (don't even need to inject)
>by default just grab the whole database too
>and loop through every user
>no password hashing
>if ("true" === "true") for no reason
>cookie('loggedin', 'yes')
Holy fucking shit

>this is it doog?

Attached: GraphQL_Logo.svg.png (512x512, 25K)

>graphQL
another useless thing no one asked for

this guy has a job and you don't, user. how do you feel

>if ("true" === "true")
wat

lol the api directly runs SQL queries submitted by the client? what shit is this?

haha, the browser gets a list of all accounts with their passwords? lol is this from koding with karly? or just your average CS ivy league graduate(tranny)?

This shit made my day.

Attached: zand.jpg (1140x650, 103K)

>laugth about PHP SQL injection and bad optimizate SQL for years, this JS guy just full query database from client
State JSkids

We have this one customer that's so incompetent at designing web service APIs their previous app basically had the frontend submit its own SQL straight to the Oracle DB. It was the only way to query something else than "give me the first 20 of these with no joins'.
Our guys working on the new version of the frontend spend about 1/3 of the day cursing at their fucking retards who can't even code basic REST shit, another third testing to see if it works now (spoiler: it doesn't) and the last third playing vidya in the break room.
The customer's paying for their full time efforts so we can't have them work on anything useful.

>jsfiddle.net/4zcdvk1b/

How come this is undefined? I don't get it. I can't seem to make it work.

Nvm, had to use an event listener I guess.

It works if the function is assigned to window.myFunction so I'd guess jsfiddle is somehow containing the script's non-local variables.
You should probably just bind the event in JS anyway.

literally:
myFunction = function() {
alert("I've been clicked!!");
}

anyone else here drupal 7? Why can't I use a number as a path? I get a page not found error.

function mymodule_menu() {
$items['2019'] = array(
'title' => t('2019 Events'),
'page callback' => 'mymodule_page',
'access callback' => TRUE,
'page arguments' => array(0),
'type' => MENU_NORMAL_ITEM,
);
}

be less ded /wdg/ pls

What do you guys think of my reddit/place version? pudim dot org

I'm betting it's still riddled with bugs, implemented it in a hurry during the last week.

Attached: pixel.png (666x428, 390K)

>tfw there exists a timeline where html, css, and js are all written in s-expressions
>tfw stuck in timeline with sass, jsx, wasm, babel, stylus etc.
Feelsbadman.jpg

>pudim dot org
my country is all painted :DD

where are you from?

The other country with a fully painted border.

Wait, are you the one who painted a penis on my country?

I'm from Portugal, and I'm not the one who painted the dick... you?

Também sou de Portugal.

Estranho encontrar pessoas de portugal aqui.

how would you know, there are no flags on Jow Forums

Not that weird, if you go to a board with flags, you'll find us often.

wtf, why are you so kind to each other, if I met someone from my country here I would tell him to fuck off

that's cause you're in a shit country probably.

Why the fuck did I program this? There's almost no pixels for me...

there are so many shitty tutorials, it's a relief to find something useful

sometimes I feel stupid for not getting it, but not it's the other people who are dumb,

Started learning webdev, shit is easy so far.
Going to approach a few local business and offer them free web design to build up a portfolio.

How do I approach discussing hosting/domain registering?

I have this project that has some modules in js. I wanted to change some parameters in a module so I edited the file and saved it, but no actually changes happened. Damn, I can even delete whole functions that I use in my main js file and still they work.

I'm a JS beginner but what gives ?

Charge them a small monthly fee that's a bit higher than what you'd pay for hosting, you'll be glad when they're still asking you to change shit 5 years down the line

if I have
if (pageOld !== null && pageOld.number < page)
and pageOld turns out to be null will it throw an error because of the second comparison? (property of null)?

The js is compiled, changing the source files doesn't change anything unless you recompile. If there's a package.json file, install nodejs and run npm install in the directory, then run one of the commands in the scripts part of package.json to compile

impostor syndrome, just apply and try to do it, if you can't, you leave it, there's nothing to lose.

>grab the whole database
>pass ain't hashed

h o l y f u c k

Why should i go for angular instead of react? i just want a job

post your CV

Have no cv, i'm preparing myself to apply for jobs and i see angular/react are very required.

why are .io domains 2 or 3 times the price of .com?

Attached: stock-photo-happy-designer-hipster-working-on-laptop-in-office-623198348.jpg (1500x1108, 525K)

I have a job as a "web dev" but I'm still nervous asf to do this, even though I've wanted to for a while. Do people ask for outlandish things for their websites?

if pageOld turns out to be null it won't even get that far.

There are a few different costs associated with registering a domain.

ICANN runs the whole domain name system. Their fee is $0.18 per year.

Each top level domain (TLD) has a domain registry that runs it. The company Verisign runs the .com TLD, and they charge a yearly fee of $7.85

But registries don't sell domains directly, registrars like GoDaddy and Namecheap sell them. They generally charge some fee on top of the registry fee, so the $0.18 + $7.85 goes up to $10 or $12 per year. But most of those registrars also include DNS resolution, so it's not a bad deal.

The thing is, the domain registries don't actually advertise their fee, Verisign is one of the few whose cost seems to be widely known. The registrar for .io is NIC.IO, which seems to be also known as "IO Top Level Domain Registry Cable and Wireless". But I've been googling for the past half hour or so and I can't find shit about their fee.

In any case, the cheapest I see it is about $35 per year. But I can't tell if that's the registry charging $30 of that, or if all the registrars just set their price based on the others.

Yes they do. Are you seriously considering paying with your own money for their hosting?? Don't be a faggot, people expect to pay money for a service

anyone have a recommended web host?
i'm looking at digital ocean, i just need a cheap option to get my site running, then upgrade if it actually makes any money.

Digital Ocean is great if you plan on managing the server software and installing other things. Otherwise there's other cheaper web hosts that can do that for you.

After using DO, I find it difficult to justify using anything else, or even seeing how they can compete. The platform makes it riduclously quick and easy to spin up throwaway servers.

Why is React so fuckign weird?
Any good sauce on learning React, other than freecodecamp? Their lessons became less explanatory and much more shit, after I finished JS

>I don't want to have to repeat the same 20 classes on every single button
>That's understandable. I will say that there's a chance that repeating those 20 classes can actually be somewhat valuable
>when you get into a situation where one of the buttons needs to have slightly more margin-top than the others, then it's easy to fix.
This is some hardcore codemonkey shit. When you end up in that situation
>a) you're doing something wrong
>b) you use some other way around it

use the react docs

What did your portfolio look like when you got your first job? Is a lot of pro-bono work common?

should I split this component into subcomponents?

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-10-02 at 5.27.00 PM.png (1832x302, 95K)

Is back-end web dev the best bang for buck? Or is DevOps?

I might be way too fucking tired of looking at code all day, but could someone help me with this:

>jsfiddle.net/ptxsha6m/4/

It's mostly a logic issue, I think.
I need it so that when you click a checkbox that exists as a class in the div#, it should change the color of that div#.

My trouble is it's changing all of them, instead of only the ones that contains that class.

Any ideas?

Attached: 1538424627264.jpg (1024x1023, 69K)

I don't entirely understand what you're trying to accomplish, but I think your issue has something to do with the fact that you're naively looping through your array "theID". You either want to check whether each of those elements has the class in question as a child, or you want to just get the parent element of the div with the country class you're currently on.

>Office 2020 will be based on ReactJS Native
nooooooooooo wtf vuebros, we got too cocky

Attached: 15.jpg (700x700, 68K)

>line 541:

jsfiddle.net/ptxsha6m/7/

You can figure the rest out. I berieve.

nigga speak english

In order to be able to display the date since a number of milliseconds from January 1st 1970 have elapsed, should I use the ordinary Date object or the moment.js library?

And by 'display the date', I mean in a customisable format. So I can write it like "Wednesday 3rd of October 2018" or like "3/10/2018", but with the date being taken from the amount of milliseconds since January 1st 1970.

I've been doing RoR stuff as a hobby for a month and have a decent knowledge of it as well as little html and css, but I've NEVER touched javascript, what should I start with? What are the best JS resources? The one in the OP? Maybe a book? Thanks in advance.

Attached: 1534464511386.png (1000x1000, 400K)

Just use moment.js when working with dates and times, it is obviously possible to do it all yourself but it will be painless to look at and read for everyone including yourself in the future if you use moment.js

eloquent javascript is a good introduction to the language, it'll give you the confidence to move forward to more advanced stuff. i recommend the web version because it has an interactive console thingy

Dumb 4ChanX question. How do I resize the thread watcher? I can see it's created as a div element (with the "thread-watcher" id), but I can't see where I would make it such that I can see the entire thread title

Skype desktop and mobile is based on it too. Sad thing is that Android React Native performance is still shit and they haven't bothered upgrading the JSC engine and bindings for x64 since they pretty much released support for Android.

I tried asking in /sqt/ but I was told to come here.
>a certain site that provide video files changed something regarding it's download button, before the download button would refer to the content URL and could be download/ opened with mpv, after the change that can no longer be, because you'd have to click on the button for the file to download.
Is there a way to bring it back?

Why do portfolio sites have to use your real name?;Ree why can't I just say "welcome, call me whatever, I've built Xyz.com and a bunch of other things with y language and frame work , please gib job"?

Well that's what I do on my portfolio site. My email is also [email protected]

You can put whatever you feel comfortable putting. But at least put your first or last name.
I'm Bill, Web developer.
I'm Bill Cosby, Web developer.

Does it really matter?

Wow look at this dino-site

www.uswnet.com/index.html

What's quickest way to start freelance remote work? I've heard there's lots of Php/WordPress freelance work? Or is JS/React the way to go?

>made a Jow Forums style web app overnight a couple of months ago
>just wrote a react native app for it over a weekend of smoking weed, coding, and partying with my roommates

how does it feel to be a shit tier programmer, Jow Forums?

Attached: app_announce_2.png (1280x1280, 107K)

Which VPS will allow me to host copyrighted shit without immediately trying to take me down.
Better question, how the fuck does pinterest and reddit get away with rampant copyright infringement with all their re-uploads/re-posts.

>jsfiddle.net/ptxsha6m/7/
That looks sorta right. I'll take a look at it now, but appreciated mate.

A website changed the way how files are downloaded, the download button used to lead to URL, not the download button have to be clicked for the download to start.
Is there way to make it work like before with a userscript?
I can't open files with mpv anymore.
This is the HTML part about the download button
Download
Clicking on the download button opens a new window with the correct URL.

Attached: 1538407051340.jpg (1202x1577, 450K)

More than 12 hours to get react to work properly. Will just switch to another library desu

that makes the whole code go faster and the password transmission to be secure

Attached: 1532363130675.jpg (750x732, 75K)

What do you mean?
React works the second you include it, and has create react app to bundle everything together so you don't even need to consider anything, it even automatically creates a basic example for you?

You can always regexp onclick for url, add it to href and remove onclick.

Sorry, I'm not sure I followed.

>jsfiddle.net/4zcdvk1b/
funny how this works and just writing a name before the function works but writing var before it doesn't var myFunction = function () {
alert("I've been clicked!!");
}

>jsfiddle.net/ptxsha6m/7/
holy fuck, how come you can use elem. outside of the original foreach function and inside of another foreach function?

post the url you get from the button digg it so you get the url from there, isnpect element, whatever it takes

I'm happy that you can do it, faggot.

domain.com/download.aspx?file=2066072708&sig=MDMvMTAvMjAxOCAxNjoyNzozNw==
see this as well
Basically the download button has OnClick event that triggers the download, but this way the URL to the file is unavalibe from the right click menu, making copying the link or using it with "open with mpv" extension not possible.

from my brainlet knoledge you have to dig on their js functions for the function called DownloadFile

Something about Babel not transpiling right. I think I'm close to fixing it by changing the extension of the file to index.jsx but something else has popped up

Sorry, I know little about HTML/CSS just enough to customize a web page.
I have no knowledge about Javascript, or even creating userscript for greasemonkey.
Anyway looking through the page source, this is what I found
hastebin.com/winicadaru.xml

>hastebin.com/winicadaru.xml
not the right js, link me the web

It's ISP restricted domain, you can't access it.

It's working finally.

what did you have to do for it to work, all of it?

1 inspect file
2 depurator 3 click the folders there and type ctrl+F when you've finally selected a .js file, then type "DownloadFile" without the "" until you find the matching function, copy the function and pass it to us