Switching to Ryzen

Who here has ever switched from Intel to Ryzen? My Ryzen 7 is supposed to come today- what should I expect? Will I have to reinstall Windows completely or can I just swap the parts and use the same old drives?

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 112K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i3-2120-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-2600/m2227vs3955
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

ryzenable poster

>what should I expect?
a housefire.

you don't have to reinstall windows but I recommend a clean install.

he is switching to Ryzen, not intel.

>what should I expect?
buyers remorse when you dont notice any performance improvements when watching anime

>anime

I don't play many gaymes and watch 0 anime, I bought Ryzen to edit videos. Based on the benchmarks I've seen I doubt I will regret moving on from Intel.

Fellow Ryzen 7 user here. You should be fine to migrate your drive to the Ryzen build without issues, but you'll be better off reinstalling Windows for stability.

Thanks.

1 quick question: when you got your chip, did you have any issues getting BIOS/UEFI to display from your GPU? I know Ryzen chips don't have integrated graphics and I'm wondering if, since the GPU drivers obviously won't be installed, the mobo and GPU will be compatible to the point where they display BIOS.

Did you run into any issues with that?

No not at all. It has been running smoothly since I built my system back in July.

Subscribed.

As long as you aren't trying to run a second gen ryzen on a 300 series chipset that hasn't had a bios update to make it compatible with the second gen you should be fine. If you are then you are going to need to apply for a boot kit from AMD or to borrow a first gen CPU to update it.

What Intel CPU are you moving from, and what Ryzen are you going to?

>What should I expect
That will depend on what you're upgrading from. If you had a post-Sandy Bridge i5 or i7 you probably won't notice much improvement except for the platform goodies like USB 3/3.2 and M.2. It should run cooler than most recent Intel processors with similar cooling setups, but you won't get much OC headroom out of it regardless of what you use to cool it.

If you're upgrading from something older or a Pentium or i3, the difference will be noticeable in some applications, and the additional features are almost worth the upgrade by themselves.

>can I just swap the parts and use the same old drives
You can use the same drives but you will likely have to reactivate Windows. Also if you are moving to NVMe for your boot drive or you are currently booting in legacy (MBR) mode, you will probably have to reinstall.

But seriously, if you don't have a solid state that is probably a better upgrade unless you are using something really old.

What this guy said .

BIOS/UEFI doesn't require video drivers. Windows supports basic graphics mode which also doesn't require drivers, but to get all the performance of your video card you will need drivers.

I7 6700 to ryzen 7 2700
Got everything put together, and it turns on, but not getting any output to the monitor... Anyone know what causes this?

If your motherboard has a video connector, ignore it; ryzen 2700 doesn't have builtin graphics, you need a dedicated card.
Also, some old motherboards (like gigabyte aorus) only support ryzen 1000-series, and require a firmware upgrade for newer processors. You need to check if that's the case.

GPU in top PCIe slot, display cable connected to GPU? There may also be a configuration in UEFI to change the default display output. Also probably a dumb suggestion but make sure you have power hooked up to GPU if you need it.

This too. If you bought a X370/B350/A320 board you need a first-gen CPU to run a BIOS update before you can install the 2700. AMD will send you a loaner kit for free.

Or take it to a repair shop, they already have those kits.

It's a 450 board, Def have power to the gpu but I'm gonna try with a 1050ti which does need it. I had this happen once before and it was a Cpu Power issue, doesn't look like that this time tho. Pics incoming in a min

Here she is lads, or at least here is what I HOPE will be my new AMD build. Everything turns on so I'm suspecting that the issue might have to do with the CPU not getting power....

I'm also not getting any beep codes, does anyone know if you have to have speakers connected to the MOBO to hear beep codes?

Attached: new amd build.jpg (3648x2736, 2.12M)

>does anyone know if you have to have speakers connected to the MOBO to hear beep codes
You do. Also MSI boards have little red debug lights to indicate what might be a problem.

>AMD processor
>NVIDIA graphics
Congrats, user! You're a heretic!

and yes, you'll need a speaker to hear beep codes... though it should also have some lights for errors.

Attached: purge the heretic.gif (800x708, 2.94M)

i'll be switching from an intel core2quad to a ryzen5 tomorrow when the rest of my parts come in :3

gonna do the same next year, when zen 2 chips come out.

OP Again here, the computer has booted...

I literally just reconnected everything, and said out loud, "Lord, please just let it work this time."

And it worked. Miracle machine.

do we know how many instructions per clock the zen 2 chips will be processign at?

Probably a lose power conector or the ram/gpu wasn't fully seated. Congrats on your new build.

the worst bit about my build is that I'm also moving over windows 7. I had to install weird USB3.0 drivers and the mod from the pcb general to install future updates. I hope it works.
>if not idk what to do
>linux won't play muh gayms
>maybe mommy will buy me a copy of windows 10 pro edition

No one knows, but the suposed higher clock speed wall is the feature that people really are waiting for.

You could just kms activate it or if you don't want that you can just live with the insider builds which will be oficially activated but you will have to put up with it upgrading to a later build every few months if on the slow ring.

I built a Ryzen 7 1700 on a Asrock Taichi X370 board and threw in my RX 480 RS 8GB last black Friday and it has been a joy. And it overclocked to 3.9 at stock voltage with really good temps (h100i v2). It's a beast and the benchmarks are fantastic. Especially considering I got the cpu for 190 bucks. I think you'll really enjoy it especially considering you're doing editing work.

Thank you sir. Always feels comfy when you upgrade your pc, especially when you gotta solve some problems.

That is a steal for that CPU, I was actually thinking of picking one of those up... but I got lucky and got the 2700 for $220 on a one day sale on Amazon.

Pic related is how it looks right now, gonna take a break and eat and then come back and try to clean up the cables and manage the RBG stuff which I'm not 100% sure how to use.

Attached: messy guts.png (823x620, 1.18M)

I'm about to order my parts to go from a i7 950(system assembled in 2010) to a 2700x/3200C14 RAM, how much improvement am I looking at? Besides gaming I also do light-moderate photo/video work.

Attached: 36CA5E82-17A4-45DF-9B23-1E38ECECA922.jpg (1080x1080, 488K)

Lol, MASSIVE improvement.

omg... this picture

Figured, I was taken back a little seeing comparisons like pic related when planning this build because to me what I've got now seemed pretty good all these years. Honestly the #1 reason I'm doing a build now is because I'm afraid my current system will kick the bucket any day because of its age.

Anyways the parts are ordered, should all be here by Thursday. Also going from a Air 540 to a Fractal Design Define R6, super excited to get all this together this weekend.

Attached: i7950vs2700x.png (2264x1554, 510K)

Think the photographer is david dubnitskiy.

Attached: E3D9072C-DCF9-4F0F-ABAE-9C290C949A3E.jpg (744x1080, 635K)

nice blog my man, how do i unsubscribe?

who are these semen demons

that'll be dank

Attached: ryzen.gif (435x284, 2.07M)

Went to 7 1800x from 7700k and never looked back

Yo dudes... I just tried to render a video and the CPU IMMEDIATELY goes to 95c.... is that some kind of sensor error because I didn't reinstall windows, or is it a symptom that my cooler isnt' attached/working properly, or something else?

Pic related lads

Attached: CPU hot as FUCK.png (766x523, 461K)

Ryzen chips have a weird temp offset "feature". Ryzen master should show the correct temp, while other monitors show wildly inaccurate numbers depending on the chip and program.

it was the cooler

I'm still on an i5 2500k oc'd to 4.5ghz and a 970gtx that I found online this past xmas for $85.

For the last 2 years my computer has had random and wildly annoying BSOD. Since I can't figure out what's causing it, I'm just planning to build a new computer (I thought it wa my 570gtx but I still get BSOD with 970).

My plan is to wait and see how the i9 9900k and if it sucks, I hope AMD releases a new ryzen cpu to compete with the Intel CPUs. Don't feel like buying a half year old CPU that'll get replaced soon enough.

2600x owner here
dont regret it

Changing mobo and cpu only? Might need to reactivate windows 10 (presuming you using that).
Welcome to team red.

Changing mobo and cpu only? Might need to reactivate windows 10 (presuming you using that).
Welcome to team red.

>Welcome to team red.
Cringe.

Welcome to team red.

>9900k
>paying $600 for a stutterfire

If you have a Gigabite Z68 motherboard switch to an older BIOS. I had the exact same issue (random BSODs) on the newest one.

I haven't used a up to date Intel CPU in decades.
I switched from FX to Ryzen 5 though recently, decent and cheap upgrade. Runs much cooler and quieter while being twice as fast as my old CPU I used for over 5 years.

Usually you shouldn't have to reinstall Windows, it will just work, just install the chipset drivers on reboot.

nazis

How much of an improvement can I expect going form a i3 2120 to a 2600?

That's arty as fuck. Reminds me of renaissance painting.

Welcome to, Team Rad!!

I went from a i5 to 1600

EXPECT THE BEST!

Attached: TeamRADDD.jpg (697x324, 77K)

cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i3-2120-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-2600/m2227vs3955
Though 2600 can also be overclocked

Well since your i3 is only 2 cores and the ryzen 5 is 6 cores i expect a metric shit ton more performance.

amd is releasing zen 2 next year. wtf is there to hope about

>housefire
Doing pretty good here. Still dialing in voltages too. It might go lower yet.

Attached: No house fire here.png (943x879, 94K)

Also did I get a "Golden chip"? What are typical 4.1ghz voltages?

You were correct but I did a fresh install for shits and gigs.

Also, for the other Jow Forumsuys reading this thread who are considering switching, I am OP and the heating issue was caused by not securing the cooler. You have to press down hard as fuck to secure it, but it does a decent job cooling the chip at stock speeds. About 66c at full load rendering a video and it looks pretty nice too.

Well done AMD.

lmao its 3.5x as fast on multithreaded and even single threaded it is 41% faster

What cooler are you using? Since I found the stealth can't cope with OCing much.

stealth is not for overclock.
deepcool or cooler master have nice tower coolers.

Maybe your bios should be set to overclocked or something user

Attached: Capture d’écran de 2018-10-03 05-20-18.png (1920x1080, 267K)

Man, some of you guys act as if one of these CPU brands burnt your house down. What's up with that?

I did. I'm just running it with my old drive, didn't reinstall windows and it installed the necessary stuff on the first boot. just had to refresh some of my programs and it runs fine as far as I can tell.

>3200c14
link me. I can't find any c15 or lower at that speed without the markup being ridiculous.

did you remember to use thermal paste?

Noctua D15 AM4 edition

Yes it's worth it. Under sustained maximum load it only gets to 58-60c.

Attached: photo_2018-09-08_20-31-07.jpg (810x1080, 124K)

Sure did, it's just that you have to put a lot of pressure on the wraith spire to get the screws to thread. I was afraid it'd break at first, but it didn't. Stays at 66c under load now.

It's an ancient meme.

G. Skill Flare X 16Gb(2x8Gb) kit at 3200 cl14 is around $230 right now, its shit price but that's what you get with the ram shortage. You might want to buy it now, the MSRP for that kit is barely under $200 and its samsung b-die so you can likely clock it all the way to 3600 cl16 without trouble.

Samsung has been looking at artificially limiting their supply of ram chips now that demand is beginning to dwindle which would allow them to maintain their exorbitant pricing for a long time; amd what with the US trade war impending $230 might be the best price you see for at least the next year or more. The kit is supposed to be immaculately stable on ryzen+ but if you want anything cheaper you'll have to settle for sub-3000mhz or something like cl18, thats just how it is.

>what should I expect?

very low fps

>3200C14
i don't understand you retarded faggots that buy ram that isn't 1.2v

im just gonna wait for ddr5 to spend bank on ram

>being this new

>what should I expect?
stutter in basically every game

nonstop brand faggotry is a disease every computer forum is plagued with, not a Jow Forums isolated one
ive been on like a dozent and only one of them is pure quality talk instad of cancer. I still visit regularly for legit leaks

I switched. Built an 1800x based system for my buddy for gaming, programming, and doing lots of multitasking on budget. Was not worth spending extra dosh for the 2700x since Zen 2 architecture is just around the corner for an upgrade if needed.

It's fast as fuck, it can do basically everything and laugh at whatever you throw at it. Used a big noctua NHD 15 SE AM4 on it so it never gets real hot even under heavy load. We are running a 1070ti for GPU. We get pretty decent to high FPS in basically everything.

All this shit about ryzen getting lower frame rates is a fucking meme. Because both the ryzen 2700x and the 8700k get such high FPS you basically do not notice the differences unless you are doing full max settings resolution, max 4k, max everything. If you are going absolutely max settings you will see a difference and the 8700k will out perform the ryzen chips (unless its threadripper). However, its not worth it to have that, because the 8700k sucks at literally everything else. It will also use more power and get hot as a nuclear reactor even if you de lid it. Also all the securiy flaws kek.

Your best off sticking with Ryzen. If you got a 2700x no worries you get alot better precision boost efficiency with that cpu than the 1st gen. However keep in mind Zen 2 is coming soon and it will be a big increase in performance.

I currently have an old intel rig from years ago and I am holding off on building a new machine until Zen 2 is out.

The offeset would not cause that. Try taking the temp using open hardware monitor msi afterburner sucks ass. IF you still get the same reading you have a TIM or mounting issue with your cooler

correct

does the D15s ship with AM4 bracket or do you have to request it?

Waiting on zen 2 to replace my 2500k and GTX660. Good times building that thing in HS

moved from 6850k to 2950x
feelsgood.jpg

based af and redpilled

>sold my 6600k+mobo yesterday
>bought a 2600+mobo today
>still have my goodold 290xtri

Am i going to make it lads?

I paid $260 for F4-3200C14D-16GTZR.

Attached: 71Rh1bAbULL._SL1280_.jpg (1280x960, 154K)