How long before a computer reasonably fails?

How long before a computer reasonably fails?

Attached: jane_topples.jpg (998x731, 135K)

Other urls found in this thread:

atariage.com/forums/topic/268697-how-rare-are-atari-8-bit-custom-chips-getting-these-days/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

At least 10 years, if not longer

34 parsecs

i still my core2 duo from 2008
i guess 10 years if you have good psu and mobo

Usually the hard drive is the first thing to go. That can be replaced and the computer will reasonably have a decade. On laptops susceptible parts are the screen, the battery and the charging port/charger. All of which can be expensive to replace.
The final consideration is heat. If a laptop overheats a lot, it will have faster wear and tear on its circuits until something melts or a connection breaks.
Reasonably, a desktop can last 15 years. A desktop can last 2-10 depending on many factors. But who knows - I have my first laptop from 1996 that has somehow outlasted several laptops I've had since.
#1 problem I have had was broken charger port

yes

Anything that rotates or uses bearings will eventually fail.
Solid state hardware will far outlive it's usefulness.

computers don't fail , they have multiple parts that need to be replaced or upgraded , or software that must be re-installed or fixed and updated , but they don't as a complete computer fail

>broken charger port
yeah fuck these things. they put that fragile little pin on the laptop instead of on the charger plug

About 10 years, I am still using my 2008 core 2 duo, I had to replace some parts tho. But now it is starting to fail

Without manufacturing defects most components will go at least a decade without issue, and usually they will go 15-20 or more. Hard drives are one exception, sometimes they will last as long as the rest of the hardware but they often fail within 5-6 years or earlier. Modern solid state drives will typically last longer for consumer desktops, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them outlasting the rest of the hardware.

Obviously physical wear on ports or fans can be a concern, but realistically I would expect a minimum of 10 years out of a desktop minus the hard drive, if there is one.

With laptops you also have to worry about the battery and heat due to shitty laptop cooling systems can also cause premature failure of other components, and hinges and ports are also more likely to be damaged because people are more careless with laptops.

Don't forget Fans and cooling, those are bitch to replace in laptops

Try applying that logic to cars

Solid state components don't have a theoretical maximum lifespan as long as they're kept in a reasonable thermal environment.

8+ years

I'm still running this machine from 2007 that I haven't upgraded apart from putting in 2GB more of a RAM for a total of 6GB.

Has held out surprisingly well, but I definitely need to replace it ASAP. Was going to do so several times but I could never decide what to get and market forces seemed to fuck me over.

Like, now is a stupid time to buy because of the RTX 2070 coming out this month, surely? Then there'll probably be something else... but the GTX 1070 costs more now than I saw it for a year ago, wtf I'm not buying that now.

Not sure if I should just wait for the 2060... but that could be ages, and rumor is that it won't have the raytracing shit...

I think I've been intending to get a new PC since late 2014... been putting off playing a lot of games as a result... blech. At least when I do get a new one it'll be like entering the future.

This, E8400 running Lubuntu

The one running the simulation we are in has been running for 13.8 billion years.

So...a long time.

>time means anything in a simulation
What if we're actually running at 1000000x speed or something? We would never know.
Could have just started.

You can't prove the world didn't exist before you were born.

Assuming no overclockfuckery and taking good care of components. In my 30 years of building computers I'd say
CPU - 30+
Motherboard - 15 to 20 and you'll be looking at capacitor replacements
PSU - good quality - 10 to 15 more if you dare
PSU - cheap shit - 1,2,3,4 a ticking timebomb
GPU - 6 maybe, personally never had one die on me.
Optical drive - 10 to 15
HDD - 10 - 15+
SSD - jury is still out on that

Honestly out of the 15 or so PCs I have I've only ever had one PSU and one HDD die and I keep most of my parts. Spent all weekend on my 20 year old Pentium 2 beige box with no problems at all. In old machines it's mainly optical drives and floppies that go first.

I've never seen a dead optical drive and only one dead floppy ever.

I had to swap out 4 drives to find one that would boot from a WIN98 disc the other day. Temperamental pieces of shit. I should look at cleaning the lenses. Malfunctioning is more what I meant than out right dying.

Going back to 1995, here's my personal score:

Dead motherboards: 3 (one from blown caps)
Monitor failures: 1
RAM failures: 0
Hard disk failures: 3
Power supplies: 3
Optical drive failures: 0
Floppy drives: 3
GPUs: 0 because I've never had a PC with one in it

I was the first kid in high school to have a CD writer. Ran it into the ground in like a year.

A lot of times this is a problem with the drive that wrote the CD or the media. Unless it was a pressed disc.

>Try applying that logic to cars
An entire country applied that logic to cars. You might decide you would rather buy a new computer than fix your old one. However, other than the electronic equivalents to getting in to a collision with a semitruck like a lightning strike or house fire, you can repair them.

Attached: cubancar.jpg (1224x918, 449K)

I got a computer 15 years ago. First the HDD failed and I had to replace that, and other parts followed suit. Eventually, my mobo and GPU died at the same time, so I decided to get a bigger mobo to seat a larger graphics card. I had to buy a new case to fit it. At this point, I had replaced all of the parts at least once. Is it the same computer?

based and redpilled

Now that's a kinda stupid question.

It all depends on the things that you do with it, and the way, how.

The main reason it isn't perfectly applicable to cars is because everything in a car depends on the chassis, and the chassis rusting away is usually what finally kills a car. Otherwise, mostly everything is fixable in just the same way.

>I had to buy a new case to fit it. At this point, I had replaced all of the parts at least once. Is it the same computer?
It's certainly a different thing from having bought a wholly new computer every time anything failed, at least.

Actually all of those cars are breaking down and getting thrown into the dumpster which is why Cuba has no traffic. You can't say that the ''entire country applied that logic to cars'' because the government doesn't give a fuck what you do with your car, or where its from. Also the ''classic car'' is a fucking meme. Alot of cars are chinese made now from the early 2000's.

t. cuban

Attached: 1538300856720.png (400x400, 192K)

You can't prove your were alive before your woke up this morning.

Your whole life might not have even happened, all those memories? Values assigned to variables during initialization.

>i still my core2 duo from 2008
>i guess 10 years if you have good psu and mobo

Agree. I still have my Pentium 4 running on Gigabyte mobo and chink PSU. HD fails first I think

I mean you could say the same thing about a motherboard.

Depends on the computer and other factors like how good the cooling system is and how often you clean and repaste it. If you buy an extremely modular and well built machine with a good cooling system you can expect it to last decades with proper care and maintenance. I have Sun and SGI machines from the 90s that I still boot up and mess around with. I've had to replace hard disks, memory, and power supply units here and there but these things will keep running for a long time to come. The biggest thing to worry about is heat. If you're constantly using your computer to perform intensive tasks and you have an inadequate cooling system, motherboard components will degrade and break after some years of that.

They fail when it becomes more time consuming and/or expensive to fix them as opposed to just buying a new one. Same with any other modular machine. For example my SGI O2 can use common hard disks and fans and the PSU should be okay for a while but it uses proprietary RAM that's getting harder and harder to find. Once the RAM I'm using as well as the backup sticks I have go bad, the machine is as good as toast if I can't buy more.

Attached: 1538185039345.png (563x513, 9K)

I've still got my core 2 quad system that's been running 24/7 since 2006. Only thing to ever fail on it was a system fan. costs be $3 to replace it

Where can I buy a replacement socket

Windshield burrito

You CAN replace sockets. Not many have the skill or equipment to pull it off, but it can be done.

>but it uses proprietary RAM that's getting harder and harder to find. Once the RAM I'm using as well as the backup sticks I have go bad
Why would the RAM go bad? It shouldn't unless a bad PSU eats it.

I'm curious as to what is special about SGI workstations' RAM. As far as I know, DRAM is just DRAM, but perhaps the sticks use a proprietary form factor.

Intel pc? never
AMD? around 4 years

If so maybe you can make an adapter to use more common SIMM types. It should work if they're the correct speed.

false my intel core 2 quad pc failed

Q6600 built in 2007 psu died first and follow by gpu, motherboard ram slot seems dead so now I'm using 4gb only, still have the original harddrive thought. This is my secondary machine desu. Fan are loud too but sometimes it goes silent.

that's what you get for buying a cheap psu

The best estimate would be the whichever element on the motherboard has the fastest half-life decay.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-10-02 at 21.09.12.png (432x464, 202K)

Still have my Athlon 64 X2 from 2008 for everyday using. The only thing I replaced is HDD three years ago

Parsec is a unit of distance tho

>all of those cars are breaking down and getting thrown into the dumpster
Apparently not all of them. The fact that there were any 50s cars still running by the time the government eased importation restriction in a country where new replacement parts are extremely scarce is a testament to what kinds of things are possible when you're willing to work a wrench. Just because you throw it out doesn't mean it's not repairable. This goes double when you have access to the entire manufacturing capacity of the world. The same innovative spirit is being used to use FPGAs to replace chips in old computers that are no longer manufactured. The difference is people do it as a hobby not out of necessity.

>the government doesn't give a fuck what you do with your car, or where its from
Are you saying that the Cuban government didn't make it damn near impossible to import cars for decades? That sounds like giving lots of fucks about what you do with your car or where it's from.

>Alot of cars are chinese made now from the early 2000's.
I don't see how buying new cars after the import restrictions were eased refutes the fact that the import restriction occurred and the ability to repair these cars for 40-50 years was the only reason why there were as many working cars there as there were during these restrictions. I scrapped a car because the cost of replacing the timing chain was higher than the the value of the car. That doesn't mean it couldn't have been repaired. That kind of problem doesn't even compare to the obstacles the mechanics that kept these things going had to overcome.

>The same innovative spirit is being used to use FPGAs to replace chips in old computers that are no longer manufactured
Or why not just remake the old chips themselves? It wouldn't be cheap, but all things are possible with money.

atariage.com/forums/topic/268697-how-rare-are-atari-8-bit-custom-chips-getting-these-days/

There have been projects made to decap Atari chips so we can understand properly how the things work.

Or the fact that 50s cars are quite mechanically simple and easy to repair/fashion replacement parts for. You can't possibly do that with anything made after about the 80s.

>tfw docking station
>tfw ports aren't getting any wear

Attached: banzai.jpg (3648x2736, 3.86M)

>ywn date a japanese highsc-

any unit of distance also implies an interval of time and some rate of transit

I've had a PC work fine for 12 years with sporadic upgrades until the mobo went to shit and I threw it out.
from what I recall:
1 CPU upgrade
2 HDD replacements
2 RAM upgrades
3 GPU upgrades (less sure about that number)

Had an old compaq that i used for about no less than 4 or 5 years. It broke apart before it got the chance to actually have components fail. So yeah

I have an Compaq D520 from 2001. All the original parts plus a GPU and a blower fan in one of the PCI slots to dissipate the ungodly heat that thing produces. Still runs great.....well as good as a socket 478 machine can run anyway.

Kept my Northwood Pentium (3GHz) running for a long time as main gaming desktop with only upgrading GPUs. At the end I was playing Crysis on lowest settings. Now it's still functional, but has been long retired. Had it from 2001 to 2008.

2008 to 2017 I used my AMD Phenom 9850 based build, which only needed replacing the GPU once (the magic smoke escaped) and gave it a CPU upgrade as it got clear that Bulldozer was crap.

Since last year I have an 1800X based computer, not because I needed the extra performance, but it felt like it was time. Too bad Vega was unobtainium for a while, so still have the old GPU (7870). Couldn't be bothered later, as it's part of a full water loop and shit still plays just fine at 4k (DotA2, GTA5, even Star Citizen at 1080p).

8-10 years usually hdd and psu dies first but there are exceptions

like never I used a core2duo that's base clock was like 2.6ghz at 4.5ghz for a decade and it still didn't die only upgraded and threw it in the trash because pubg was unoptimized but I should have held onto it because now a year later pubg would run at 50+fps on it rather than 24fps.

ive had GPUs die on me abit but its mostly due to random factors like rubbing conductive paste on a GeForce 3 500ti and killing it (same as killing a like titian V today my bad)
or having a 9600m GT that died twice but that era of nvidia was faulty and ran hot and their was class action lawsuits.

had a 6970 2g burn out its shader core or some thing in crossfire but the other card was fine. happened in my friends computer but not sure why maybe a hot day or he was doing some thing dodgy.

today all hardware throttles and turns off and shit stuff we have today is designed to be never RMAd under any circumstances even if your overclocking like crazy and only way you will kill it is if you flash some hacked non offical bios on your GPU or literally solder shit onto it.

shit is safe as fuck now even if its running at like 95degs.

also silicon gets damaged at 120deg not 100. people who think they "damage" their cpu like jay retarded two cents are dumb dumbs. degrading hardware is basically non existent now if some thing dies its because you nocked a capacitor off or dropped liquid on it or it was actually made faulty.

also that meme that PSUs die alot is bullshit. PSUs FANS are rated at like 12years of use the actual hardware is even longer people who have PSUs die on them are not beacuse they have cheap psu or beacuse its running hot its beacuse they live in some apartment with wirering from the 1920s thats not even that uncommon in USA or europe. get a surge protector if you live some place dodgy even if the apartment is modern looking could still use old wires n shit.

>any unit of distance also implies an interval of time and some rate of transit
My computer broke at around 34 meters

A computer in general, or a PC? Because computers can run for decades, if not centuries, without maintenance as long as it's not dependent on moving parts. See satellites, and industrial controllers. PC:s are limited by the fact that they're not built to last more than five to seven years. And software might fail, or become non viable before even that. The four year old Lenovo at my office is to weak to reliably run the latest MS Office suite together with Adobe Illustrator, and will soon be replaced.

Attached: 1299000507.or.71302.png (800x600, 10K)

Huh? Silicon melts at 1400 degrees.

Still have and use daily my i7 920. For past 6 years i run it at 4ghz and fucker just refuses to die. So... Pretty long from my experience

Seinfeld is still funny

Besides Seinfeld and Frazer, what other good american sit-coms are there?

Cheers is pretty good, it's not as timeless as Frasier or Seinfeld so watch a good 10 episodes to get into the vibe.

depends strongly on what kind of PSU it is. Cheap shit PSUs fail at a noticeable rate - I wouldn't count on a decade out of anything that I got for thirty bucks. If you buy some high-end 80+ platinum thing that sells itself on regulation and Japanese capacitors, it should last as close to "indefinitely" as electronics can. Even in the face of dodgy power. (by which I mean brownouts and such, not lightning. Lightning kills anything) Switchmode PSUs with a decent line filter are really good, as far as power hardware goes, about coping with weirdness on the mains. The worst you can expect to happen with a good PSU is a blown fuse - which you can replace, if you're willing to open the case.

also if your "surge protector" cost $30 and looks like an ordinary power strip, it IS an ordinary powerstrip with a few cheap MOVs. Those don't do a whole lot of surge protecting to begin with and do wear out, so one that's a few years old is just a power strip. If you really do have lots of spikes and brownouts and want to be extra cautious about power, you need a real line conditioner - which costs significant money, uses significant power, and is of a significant size on its own, unlike a "surge protector" power strip. (because its basically a UPS without the batteries)

I'd unironically date the chubby one in the middle

>SSD - jury is still out on that
stop kidding yourself
that's because you're a fucking child

blue

>Is it the same computer?
oh wow that is quite the original riddle, i've never heard that one before
rope yourself lmao if you actually thought this was smart or funny

Until it can handle my work load, such as playing vidya while working on Photoshop

>Not having a PC that lasts for 100 meters

My Asus gaming laptop is in its 10th year running nearly 24/7.

The motherboard itself it easily replaceable, though, unlike the chassis of a car.

>buy hdd and ssd
>ssd fails after a few years
>hdd keeps going
Why did I fall for this meme Jow Forums?
Seriously just get an hdd

Well, it depends.

lets look at a thinkpad and itemize what major components may fail on it:

mechanical failure:
>hdd (mitigated by sdd upgrade)
>keyboard (mitigated by uer replacement)
>cooling fan (mitigated by user replacement)
>hinges (mitigated by all-metal construction and user replacement)
>charging port (mitigated by user replacement. thankfully it's not soldered to the board)

chemical failure:
>ccfl backlight (mitigated by industry switch to led backlighting)
>electrolytic capacitor (mitigated by ceramic capacitors, sourcing better electrolytics than those timebombs from the early 2000s: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague)
>thermal paste (mitigated by user replacement)

shit can last a long time if you keep up on maintenance, and start off with a serviceable machine

>battery (user replacement)