/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread - SHUTDOWN EDITION

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.
*Many free software projects have an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Attached: 1531698862239.jpg (640x480, 69K)

Other urls found in this thread:

developers.google.com/youtube/v3/quickstart/python
support.google.com/youtube/answer/6224202?hl=en
openprinting.org/printers
graphviz.org/doc/info/attrs.html#d:rank
texample.net/tikz/examples/simple-flow-chart/
ffmpeg.org/doxygen/3.2/dsd_8c_source.html
ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2361556
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

what happen

Ohaio~!

I install Ubuntu 16.04 on a machine but every 2 weeks or so I get this graphical error on start up.
Trying to load the default graphical mode works once or twice but eventually the fucking faggot doesn't work anymore and is stuck in the error forever.

Reconfigure graphics does jack shit, same as troubleshoot the error. And I don't know much about console commands.

How can I fix it without reinstalling everything again?

If it helps it's a custom Ubuntu 16 that got turned into a live CD, but all it did is change the background and install programs specific to what we need.

Attached: Graphix.jpg (1992x1880, 498K)

I was home drinking brain fluid when Fred call
Jow Forums is kill
NO...
And you?

So what's the verdict with the CoC? I Haven't heard real news in a few days other than Linus coming out as a based cuck.

Go away.

I'm offended!

trip dubs get

Attached: 1522028899655.jpg (539x540, 74K)

Linus is just having a giggle.
He'll be back, we just have to be patient.

Attached: 0.jpg (600x839, 227K)

I guess.

Attached: 1538398802375.jpg (451x451, 18K)

I'm running Manjaro i3 edition.

I did a system update and then ran the install-pulse script so I can use pavucontrol to turn the volume higher because it was so low. Also installed Chromium.

Can I delete anything that came with the installation? I don't want ClipIt on this system.

I was also drinking brain fluid when fred ring.

Fred was so upset, he loved heat legend. He has ratman posters all over his quarter.

RIP Heat, you will always think.

I'm going to install openSUSE on my main desktop in a multi-boot configuration with the intention of mostly using it. I've played with a few Linux distros before, and I know how to do the kind of programming you see in a CS 101 course. How much stress will this cause me?

Will I be able to use it almost exclusively if I am mostly just listening to music / playing some GNU/Linux compatible games on Steam? I've read that the Tumbleweed rolling update model fucks with NVidia GFX cards, is this still true?

I use Manjaro for those uses. Installation automatically installs the correct drivers, can get Java from AUR, and very rarely run into issues doing anything. It's basically as easy as Ubuntu, but I prefer Arch repo over Debian. I just got used to pacman and can't switch to a distro that isn't pacman.

I have questionnaire to fill out and it's a pdf file. I have an x200 tablet running arch, so what i'm looking for is a program that will allow me essentially to draw on it and then save what I've 'handwritten'. What is the best program to accomplish this?
I'm looking at the archwiki right now, and it's listing me programs like inkscape, but as far as the description there goes, that will only allow me to select textfields and then type in text—I'd rather just write directly on my tablet if that's at all possible.
Krita doesn't work btw.

Attached: 1511658831870.jpg (700x950, 125K)

I've seen a lot of Arch debate, and at first I was going to try that, then I did research and decided on Debian, and then I finally settled on openSUSE because YAST looked like a very useful tool.

Honestly I doubt it matters which distro I use as long as I find one, stick to it and learn it. Then if it turns out I need a different one I can always switch over.

>Honestly I doubt it matters which distro I use as long as I find one, stick to it and learn it. Then if it turns out I need a different one I can always switch over.

That's the major key right there. Don't play yourself.

Ive been using Linux mint for about a month and I want to switch to another distro, what should I use?

What did you not like? Did you try different DE/WM, File manager, etc?

Ive heard that its website has been hacked multiple times before and Im really paranoid about this stuff

no, i think he really is cucked to fuck & back. and any project that lets the blue-hairs dictate its operations will be as well, once theyve had the time to weed out all the decent people and replace them with talentless ideologues

this CoC shit is a literal textbook tactic, and it always ends the same way

Attached: 1497738836760.jpg (720x1080, 110K)

Debian then, if you're familiar with Mint then it won't feel too different. You just need to know when to add desired non-Free repos (if any) for your GPU.
Also verify the checksum of the ISO you download if you're paranoid.

There's an active desktop thread but it died and I need feedback. I'm newer to GNU/Linux and wanna know if I'm headed the right direction aesthetically. Can y'all gimme some feedback? It'd be appreciated.
(I edited out all the information you guys don't necessarily need to know.)
Thanks.

Attached: neofetch.png (1920x1080, 83K)

What window manager is this?

Attached: Screenshot-1538538816.jpg (640x480, 88K)

How do I set a transparency to all my windows?

Can you explain to someone who's not familiar with Linux this desktop environment thing? I don't understand, for example, where to find Gnome or KDE5 themes? On their theme sites there are many confusing categories, none of them look like the "Gnome themes" or the "KDE themes" category.

Is there any good audio player out there with support of all formats (including things like dsd), can parse .cue sheets and a nice interface?

I just installed Fedora 28 (Gnome), I installed a shitload of codecs and blah blah blah but I can't get thumbnails working on various video types, cleared the cache etc, wtf is wrong with this shit...

proton is really good
thank you based valve

nvm fixed it :^)

I am trying to set up a productivity(Krita and Blender) workstation with Ubuntu. The system is Ryzen 2700X and Vega 64.

>updated kernel
>Updated MESA
>Blender detects no OpenL devices
>Install proprietary AMD driver
>ERROR Kernel something FUCK YOU
>blender does not detect OpenCL
>Install ROCm - ERROR DEPENDANCIES ARE FUCKED
>Shit! Remove it all and try again with justs ROCm
>Blender finally works but it's AWFUL, render kernels compile for ages and then render slower than CPU.
>Vulkan doesnt work

Well fuck so I'm going to backup my personal data and try again from a sratch.
How do I install the drivers right?
Should I use ubuntu or some other distro? Keep im mind I'm a an absolute beginner with Linux.

Attached: BlenderDesktopLogo.png (1054x934, 242K)

Xournal?

KDE has a theme store built in. On GNOME visit gnome-look.org.

Windows an option?

Krita runs like fucking dogshit on Windows while on linux it gives me the purest childish joy to use, faster and more convenient than PS or anything ever, objectively the gest digital painting tool in existence.

And Blender too is supposed to be even better with Linux. IF i manage to install everyting correctly.

And honestly slow, bloated Windows that gets PUPs and viruses from god knows where and the anti malvare dont detect the source - it's a pain in the ass.
I didn't even install anything to windows for ages but I somehow am getting my browsers infested with toolbars, fake search engines and all kinds of PUP, and none of the anti-malware software packeges cant detect what is installing them.

So i feel really compelled to go free, purge all windows and put all my separate drives into one big convenient tiered storage.

/usr/share/themes/
/usr/share/icons/

hi. i'm a boomer and i'd like to know what you think the prodigy service had to do with linux? i was on there from 1995 until it closed.

>i'm a boomer
stopped reading there

>hurr durr edgey

Holy shit these 2 anons are so jelly of your epeen

Attached: 2.jpg (400x400, 55K)

compton

>2.jpg
Disgusting

try more

Opinions on bunsenlabs?

The new Crunchbang

Does it require a lot of manual maintenance for stuff to work? I just want to gamedev, install steam and do some regular and scientific programming. Would something with a full fledged de (eg gnome) be better?

what's this from? looks ancient desu

Good thread.

Attached: CanOfSpam.jpg (122x130, 31K)

Not quite sure, but probably twm.

I want to make an encrypted Linux installation.
My laptop SSD apparently supports self-encrypting (SED) OPAL v2.0.
Is it best to do encrypting the old way, dm-crypt+LUKS, or should I try to use this SED thing thing thru sedutil-cli?
I can't find much documentation about linux SED support.

Attached: 1381770412220.jpg (1209x798, 398K)

>I can't find much documentation about linux SED support.
Do the dmluks thing.

I want to abandon Windows and take the Linux pill. Will my Nvidia GPU be an issue?

Attached: 1538527477184-1.png (752x489, 47K)

novidya has decent binary drivers.

not on xorg+propriety drivers

So it shouldn't be a problem? I'm not sure if I should buy a 580 and sell my 1060.

Read the fucking posts.
nVidia has good proprietary drivers.
AMD has shit binary drivers, but good free software drivers albeit those lack certain features.

Are there Ice-WM theming guides?
Any modders here?

if you want everything to run good then there's some trickery you have to work around and you will be limited. most compositors run like shit on nvidia, wayland are a bunch of homos and doesn't want to work with nvidia so forget about them. for best performance, you'll have to go with a DE or a WM without any compositors and turn on forcefullcompositionpipeline in nvidia settings to eliminate screen tear, and turn that off when you want to play gaymes.

basically if you want a pretty desktop with shadows and shit nvidia is not good otherwise it works just fine.

How do you actually use IRC to discuss Linux and related topics? I kinda feel like joining a few channels, but in the past I often felt like all the interesting discussions happened somewhere else, or when I was absent from the channel.
Anybody have some recommendations on using IRC?

IRC rooms sometimes have "IRC meetups" at an announced time. I guess the biggest and probably most interesting discussions happen them, not just on any generic time.

IRC is shit and always has been shit, the idling is enough to send any non-autist over the edge. just post on forums or whatever

thanks guys, that confirms my fears. Pity, I was hoping that I was just using it wrong.

>reinstalling gentoo
>misconfigured kernel fails to boot
>usb stick dies
thanks for reading

if you care about getting work done, using systems like gentoo and arch is a complete waste of time

Xournal is what I use for handwritten notes. Should do just fine.

I want to be able to run a script that checks if there is any new videos from channels I'm subscribed to on youtube and prints them out with their links in terminal.

how do I do this?

you should be able to do it using youtube api + python for example
developers.google.com/youtube/v3/quickstart/python

not going to be trivial

why not try do that through an RSS reader:
support.google.com/youtube/answer/6224202?hl=en

Does anyone know of some decent, and simple, software for creating flowcharts?

I was trying to do it with "graphviz" which technically works, but it doesn't really seem optimized for flowcharts, so the arrows go all over the place instead of being more organized.
I would prefer a cli tool though, but I don't mind a gui one. Or if someone knows a way to make decently structured flowcharts in graphviz?

do you guys prefer aliases or shell functions?

i don't understand the qualitative difference or why you'd pick one over the other .

what are my chances to get a printer working straight away after plugging into computer on Manjaro? and how overblown are my expectations to have it working over network?

Printers are one of those things that actually work really well on GNU/Linux unless you have a really obscure or really new one I suppose.
You just install "cups" and that's it. Cups runs as a server which you can even configure in your browser, and also means that it should "just work" over the network.

What is Jow Forums's opinion on ipfire?

>on Manjaro
Another Manjaro fuckwith. Again and again, one after another.

Every distro uses the same fucking printer framework: CUPS, developed by Apple for unix-like systems.
Every distro has the same fucking printer drivers (gutenprint, hplip etc)
Every fucking distro has roughly the same printer support, assuming the driver versions are the same.

I'm starting to think you people who hate on popular distros frequently used by new users like arch and manjaro just hate them out of some superiority complex.

You know that one thing new users always hear is "which distro?", time and time again.
So quit getting your panties in a bunch when then say "by the way, I'm using X". They're just doing what they're taught to do, and it is helpful most of the time to know what distro someone is using when they ask a question.

99% of the time printers will usually work on "just werks distros"
Worst case scenario if it cant find the driver you can search it up on openprinting.org/printers for the ppd file or by using your favorite search engine / manufacturers website.
Sharing printer on network appears to be easy if you just want to share it across other linux machines but to share it to windows machines you will need to make it a samba share, again look it up and you can probally find a few guides on it.

You can use ranks to organize certain nodes together in graphviz.
graphviz.org/doc/info/attrs.html#d:rank

You can also use invisible nodes/edges to align things more precisely, but it's not especially intuitive.

Maybe LaTeX tikz?
texample.net/tikz/examples/simple-flow-chart/

fglt wasnt very friendly today

But we can do better! By kicking you in the nuts.

Attached: 1517163852986.jpg (800x800, 418K)

The only thing you can do with my nuts is to fucking suck it, you disgusting attention whoring anime pedo faggot

I ended up with Manjaro after all. OpenSuse stopped booting after I installed the Nvidia official driver and I'm too new to figure out why.

Manjaro has worked perfectly so far, except that getting the bootloader to recognize windows on a separate drive was a process that failed until I found and configured rEFIned. Now I just wanna figure out how to add themes to it and I'm all set to just start running Manjaro as my main os

can anyone please answer this?

>Things like Wine, Crossover, and Playonlinux makes your Linux machine vulnerable to Windows-based viruses
Is this true?

-most music players use libav/ffmpeg which supports all kinds of weird shit, dsd included ffmpeg.org/doxygen/3.2/dsd_8c_source.html
-mpd can use cue sheets, vlc too, I think most non-too-simple players can
-fuck off with your subjective "nice interface" buzzwords

Certain shitware can run just well in wine.
ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2361556

That being said
-if the badware depends on windows functions that are 1. not implemented 2. stubs 3. doesn't have the same vulnerability as in windows they cannot do much
-they cannot do this like disable task manager etc.
-there is a good chance if they want to install adware they either are not installed at all or won't run in wine
-nobody in their right mind runs wine as root, so malware cannot fuck up your entire system

If you want to run really shady shit in wine, it's good to have precautions and run it as a separate user without write permissions to anywhere important or run it in a chroot.

on dual boot:
every guide i've read so far assumes win pre-installed. Is that a hint that it's the best practice to install windows first and then your distro or just "implying" that you're already on windows?
Assuming a completely new system, fresh install everything, should I follow those guides installing windows first for the best hassle free experience?

Pretty sure that malware targeting the host OS can break out of WINE and harm your GNU machine, yes. Don't run shit you don't trust and install common-sense-ng.

btw, if following guides, is there anything wrong with these steps:
install windows, do the prep stuff (mainly disable fast boot)
diskpart, convert gpt, shrink, assign drive letter, 125gb for each (250 970 evo nvme) either on installer or within windows.

I remember wiping my GRUB bootloader if I installed Ubuntu first and Windows second. The other way around it worked flawlessly. But that was years ago.

I assume not wiping GRUB through a windows install is the better option.

that's why I'm paranoid. I vaguely recall reading some stuff that order mattered... back when I almost installed linux. It's been a long time and I wasn't sure what would be the best. Since the norm is assuming windows is already installed i guess i'll just follow the normie conventions. Was just trying to make sure.

make backups and you'll be fine.

thanks senpai.
but no need, I'm just trying to get it right the first time. It's an entirely fresh system, new everything. i'm still waiting for the delivery of a couple parts.

if anything goes wrong I can just wipe it all and retry. I didn't even start to seriously read tutorials, just skimming here and there.

If your dual-booting on one hard-drive you want to install windows first because it will allways overwrite the bootloader and doesnt give a fuck about any other OS installed so you wont be able to have any dual boot menus without using something like easybcd. Linux tries to be more friendlier with this if you install it afterwards because it will automatically detect windows and add a GRUB entry for it so that you can choose to boot from either OS. Even after that on Windows 10 it seems like every second update will overwrite the bootloader again.

If you are using seperate hard-drives for each install it wouldnt really matter though since each harddrive has its own bootloader.

>Even after that on Windows 10 it seems like every second update will overwrite the bootloader again.
crap. that was what i was trying to avoid, besides starting it right. isuppose it would be best to use an old ssd for the linux install then.

i'm planning to go with a gpu passthrough and vm windows later on (wendell lvl1 guide). But I will only get a cheapo gpu later on. Was trying to get some familiarity with linux before I went all in on that plan.

Reminder that Linux has the best Steam Controller software in the world (sc-controller).

Attached: 2018-10-03-21:32:13-screenshot.png (899x1050, 491K)

What's the best way to tackle RSS?
Do I need to install an aggregator?
Do they provide access for my mobile devices?
Can I backup the RSS list in case of device failure?

>isuppose it would be best to use an old ssd for the linux install then.
Yeah i would suggest doing that and its what ive been doing for a year but im dual booting 7 and barely use it these days. If you allready have a gpu you can just use the gpu in your cpu for Linux and vm passthrough with your current one. Also from what i understand some gpus may or may not support EFI so you might want to check that just incase before you buy one.
The other thing you can just do is have windows set up with easybcd to be the bootloader to avoid that issue and write grub to the actual partition (/dev/sda1 or whatever) instead of /dev/sda itself.

>efi gpu's
that got me curious. Found out that AMD gpu's above the 200 series are all efi compatible. If anyone is wondering.

Hi friendly-gay-lesbian-transgender thread.

$ fortune -a
Once a young gay from Khartoum
Took a lesbian up to his room.
They argued all night
Over who had the right
To do what, and with which, and to whom.

Attached: 1200px-OpenBSD_Logo_-_Cartoon_Puffy_with_textual_logo_below.svg.png (1200x781, 180K)

Ubuntu or Mint as first distro?