/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: 1505740960129.jpg (1440x810, 224K)

Other urls found in this thread:

macrumors.com/2018/10/02/ios-12-1-charging-bug-fix/
xda-developers.com/google-pixel-fast-charging-android-pie-fix/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for chink flagships

Attached: 3f8L8rd.jpg (1280x960, 173K)

I'm done with android after 8 years of using it, it's the final google service I have yet to stop using.
Which iphone is worth it?
I can get a 6s plus(64gb) for $200, 7 plus(128gb) for $380, 8 plus(64gb) for $500 or X(64gb) for $650
the other option is a rooted pixel with a custom rom.
what do

Attached: 1537325934035.png (727x560, 158K)

I went from a Nexus 6 to an Xperia XZ1 Compact and I don't ever want a phone bigger than this. Good thing all of the new phones in this line are getting bigger, trading battery life for higher resolution, and getting rid of the headphone jack that I use during my daily commute.

Where are my small, two day battery life phones that aren't slow as shit at

so what's the best phone with audio jack and micro sd slot right now?

where can you get an 8 Plus for $500? I can't justify the price on the XS, and the XR's screen resolution is awful.

i have a 7plus, its good for another year at least
but as an iphone user, the second you start using it its really difficult to stop and switch over -- the walled garden is real, and the ecosystem will drag you in

so right now I'm using a 3 year old Iphone SE and I don't want to spend 1000 dollars on upgrade. I just need a basic phone that will last me a long time, good sound quality on calls, compatible with most apps and maybe has a similar interface to Iphone. oh and GREAT battery life is a must. I tried out a galaxy s9 and it was way too complicated for me to bother fucking with. Idk what all that android lollipop marshmallow stock shit means. I also prefer it to have the home button like a Iphone Se instead of it being entirely touch screen. 2-300 dollars would be ideal but I'll stretch to 500 if its REALLY worth it. my carrier is at&t

Mr. trips, please explain your image as I'm retarded.

Thinking of upgrading my now quite sluggish and cracked s7 edge for a pixel 2 xl. Camera is super important to me as I spend a lot of time /out/ and having a great camera built into my phone is convenient and saves weight and bulk.

Thoughts?

Attached: pixel-2-xl.jpg (1200x800, 184K)

My current phone is 3 years old, and has survived dozens of drops due to the plastic bezel on all sides. I refuse to use a case.

Do chinkphones come rooted? Do they have enough support to be easily rootable?
How about unlocked phones?
I want a new phone, but hardly anyone makes 4.5" phones anymore, so my only real requirement is that it be easily rootable because being able to run adaway is the single most important thing I require in a phone.
A user removable battery would be nice too, but I'm not sure those exist anymore.

Attached: 1062014102047AM_635_samsung_galaxy_core_prime.jpg (635x476, 24K)

should I back up the pics/videos/etc on my Xiaomi before I unlock the bootloader? first time ever doing this.

Attached: 1530825540559.jpg (960x960, 138K)

There's a Craigslist business near me somehow associated with a verizon authorized retailer, I don't know the details on it, but it's a legit little business with some good deals.
I'm more willing to accept being locked in the ios ecosystem then to be using anything google related.
isn't it really not much different between the two though? It's not like you can use play store purchases on ios. With the exception of being locked to one manufacturer with ios.

Attached: 1536697133547.gif (300x424, 2.56M)

Note9

get the 5c or the XS

imessage alone keeps me using an iphone
not being ironic

Wait for the pricedrop when Pixel 3 is out.

>Do chinkphones come rooted?
no

>Do they have enough support to be easily rootable?
some of them

>How about unlocked phones?
yes

> but I'm not sure those exist anymore.
Nope.

redpill me on the asus zenfone 3 zoom

>Do chinkphones come rooted?
No
>Do they have enough support to be easily rootable? How about unlocked phones?
Depends on the manufacturer, they all have locked bootloaders preventing you from flashing/rooting, but some allow you to unlock it
>A user removable battery would be nice too, but I'm not sure those exist anymore.
Get a Pocophone. Battery is non-removable on paper, but in reality all you need to do to remove the back cover is remove two screws, it isn't glued to the frame since it's plastic. If you apply for an unlock to Xiaomi, you can root it or do whatever you want and rom scene is very promising already in case you want that as well.
Always back up when doing anything with your phone's bootloader, recovery or system.

Can I back it up to the MiCloud?

There's a pixel or two below the notch that are purple. The notch bleeds into th screen

I was thinking about an Apple refurb 7 Plus to replace my SE. I'm figuring it will still be quite an upgrade, since I don't find the SE slow, just the screen resolution is pissing me off after 2+ years.
Nice. I wouldn't go with a 6S of any sort at this point, but I can't imagine you'd be unhappy with anything newer. And is right, once you iMessage you can't go back to SMSing or using a hodge-podge of weird messaging apps.

o i c
What phone is that? Mi 8? Poco?

What about just getting the 3?

Sure? it's out next week.

I had no idea. Glad I posted to ask about it. Thanks, user.

what image viewer is that?

I'm enjoying my Redmi Note 5 thanks bros. I'm thinking of installing Xiaomi.eu, does it impact battery life? What has been your experience in that regard?

> I wouldn't go with a 6S of any sort at this point
Thanks for the advice, I was considering it because of how cheap it is, but being on the tail end of its life probably wouldn't be a great idea, even if I could get a new battery with apple's program
>once you iMessage you can't go back
never tried it out t b h
I have an ipad too, is it possible to send messages from my ipad using this? I know it would work with other iphone users, but can I set it up so all messages can be sent and received through the ipad?

Yeah, once you've got a phone number associated with iCloud, you can send iMessages, SMSs, (and answer and make phone calls for that matter) from the iPad. You can iMessage with just an Apple ID of course, but you need the linked phone to do SMSs and calls on other non-phone Apple devices. I hope that makes sense, I'm really tired.

WhatsApp is utter shit no idea how Facebook bought that pile of indian feces for a billion

I understand, thanks, that sounds like another good reason to switch over to an iphone

Attached: 1522918678744s.jpg (250x217, 6K)

the ability to datamine 1.5 billion users for only 19 billion doesn't sound like a bad deal, that's only $12.66 a person.

Buy better flagships you europoor nigger?

delete...

If you intend to use the stock or a Xiaomi.eu rom, yes. Mi backup app is also good because it creates a file you can store on your PC.
My experience was around an hour less SoT than on stock, because it's less aggressive when cleaning the RAM.

I just got a huawei p20 lite. I can return it within two weeks and get a normal p20 for 80 bucks more. Is it worth it. I looks at pictures from both and I thought they were better on here for some reason. I also like having a headphone jack.

I have a Galaxy S9 and a Pixel 2 XL. I have the opportunity to return the both of them, so basically I need to pick both to choose one as my daily driver.

I really like a lot of different things about both of them. What do you guys think I should do? I'm so torn, so looking for some opinions.

7+ is nice, and going from an SE to a plus would be unreal
i honestly dont like how big it is, i would prefer a normal 7/8, too poorfag to buy a new phone tho (got this one used over a year ago)

yeah ipad/macbook imessage is really nice

Attached: DASH_2_4_M.webm (270x480, 343K)

Thanks, I appreciate it. They list "Optimized battery consumption" in their website as a feature, so they're just bullshitting?

Would flashing a ROM of stock Android in place of MIUI improve SOT?

bamp please
do I need to provide more info

Could be different depending on the device model, I was talking about Xiaomi.eu in general.

No

Xiaomi.eu is good just because it doesn't have ads

>pocophone
>flagship
Found the NEET with no income

Go do your own research, no one wants to read your blog.

its not even the longest post in this thread
I just want a good

What are some decent super tight budget options for me from T-Mobile? Poor sap and best I'm looking at is the Moto E5 Plus with down payment + $4/month payments on it. I'm in the market for something with a well high capacitive battery and I don't think anything else will contend with the Moto E5 Plus on a super tight budget

Attached: 1463439193061.jpg (601x601, 87K)

just get a used iPhone 8

fuck no

>ever buying used

Looks like both Apple and Google are rolling out fixes for the charging issues

macrumors.com/2018/10/02/ios-12-1-charging-bug-fix/
xda-developers.com/google-pixel-fast-charging-android-pie-fix/

>Apple 3 days
>Google 7 months

I'm buying an iPhone next time, fuck this.

Attached: 3.jpg (409x1024, 212K)

yeah, I don't think anything is going to compete with the E5 Plus if you're on a tight budget and battery life is the main feature you're after, my only other suggestion would have been the Stylo 4 but I can't remember if it picks up B71 like the E5 Plus

T-Mobile employee here. Moto E5 Plus is gonna be your best bet. Q7 is pretty decent too if your budget can stretch it.

stylo 4 is a better phone than the Q7

My smartphone needs to be upgraded.
Ideal phone:
>A/V out
>Rom/Root availability
>Removable Battery
>Headphone Jack
>IR Blaster
>Notchless
>New 5g frequencies capable
>SD card slot
Bonus points for:
>Stylus
>High DPI IPS
>CDMA+GSM network compability
Phone me up . Any that has all/most of these features.
I'm price flexible, but not willing to go Samsung Note 9/10 etc.

Attached: spg.png (354x568, 234K)

Im leaning towards a Nokia 7 plus. I am going to wait a few weeks and see if the newer one offers anything better.

>How is the camera. Is it as good as say a galaxy s7 or pixel era camera? Does it have OIS or any stabilisation?
>Is the loudspeaker any good?
>Can you view the screen in sunlight?

I chuckled.
Please be a real post XD.

It's real.
Forgot to add
>Radio

Do any phones and bluetooth headsets use class 1 bluetooth other than apple?

Are the power and range actually helpful?

I bought some anker bluetooth headphones to try and see if I can do without the jack for a month and they just chop in and out with my pixel when I go for a walk with the dog. I have to hold the phone in my hand for it to be listenable.

>autism the phone

Attached: 1526935894184.png (586x578, 37K)

Casting replaced the usb/hdmi dongles and usb-c displayport kind of exists but not really on ARM SoC, as there isn't really a need for it.

>ROM availabilty
Kind of a given, most phones come with an OS.
You should be more worried whether or not it gets updates.

>headphone jack
usb-c is a headphone jack

>IR Blaster
Smart TV can be controlled via WiFi, depreciated.

>Notchless.
More screen real estate with the notch.

>SD card slot
Its just going to break, sd cards are depreciated.

>stylus
It isn't a wacom engineering pad

>IPS
OLED is better, always on display ftw.

>CDMA
lol why

:)

I wish I had a gf like that.

It's the best phone user. Don't talk shit about the ideal phone just because you paid for an iPhone homosXS

Weak bait tripfag. Now recommend me a phone that fits my ideals.

>Now recommend me a phone
I can't, you aren't a phone.

>I can't, you aren't a phone
Post feet

this

How well does lineageOS do on a G5?

Attached: 1536941841812.jpg (640x420, 74K)

LG G5:
Volte+wifi calling doesn't work for 15.1 unofficial.
You might want to check XDA.
Moto G5:
Tethering doesn't work for some users of 14.1 Cedric.

There's no one phone that has the features you want, but I'll name ones that have the features you listed
>>A/V out
none, HDMI was the closest you had and they stopped doing that at least 5 years ago, the namefag was right, casting replaced this
>>Rom/Root availability
Any company that allows unlockable bootloaders but not all models are unlockable unless you're talking about Motorola and Xiaomi
>>Removable Battery
None, this is dead, long live removeable batteries
>>Headphone Jack
Redmi Note 5, Motorola X4
>>IR Blaster
Redmi Note 5, Mi A2/A2 Lite
>>Notchless
Redmi Note 5, Mi A2, Mi Mix 2/2S, LG V30/35
>>New 5g frequencies capable
none except Motorola Z3 with Verizon's 5G MotoMod
>>SD card slot
RN5, Mi A2 Lite, Moto X4, LG V30/35 and G6/G7
>Bonus points for:
>>Stylus
Only the Samsung Notes have a stylus worth a fuck
>>High DPI IPS
LG G6/G7, HTC U11
>>CDMA+GSM network compability
Motorola X4, Xiaomi Mi Mix 2/2S

Put your trip back on, and post feet.

>Put your trip back on, and post feet.
jej, i swear on your mother's life I'm not him

lmao this
Pocomeme is not even Xiaomeme's flagship line.

Pros
>SD slot
>802.11ac (good because Max Pro M1 lacks this)
>USB-C
>Audio jack
>5k battery

It seems to have better camera specs than Max Pro M1 (aka Asus' RN5) but this phone use weaker processor (SD625) and no NFC

there is the LG V20 if you want removable battery
has IR, SD slot, headphone jack, 1440p, and no notch
snapdragon 820 is still decent and its at $200 or less

What's the best sub $200 android that I can get unlocked. I'm mainly just going to use it to make calls, texts and check on shit online. I don't care if it's a 1-2 year old phone either.
The only features I really want are
>a headphone jack
>an SD card slot
>decent battery life
>ability to root since my current phone is so obscure it doesn't even have any sort of rooting community.

Attached: 1523314596796.jpg (240x229, 6K)

>tripfag managed to be dumber than original post
wew

USA?

Ye, I'm gonna use it on some cheap MVNO.

i have a moto x. it's alright if it weren't for the low space.

which motorola phone should i upgrade to?

The question is why would you want a motorolla. They were good in the early days because they were the only decent budget brand with midrange specs but with the introduction of chinkphones budget moto phones are laughable (2gb of ram lmao), midrange get outclassed and high end get laughed at.
No real reason to stick to moto when there's much better choices on all ranges

You could get a moto g4 play, cheap af, removavle vattery, offivial los and its only 5". Its the smallest phone that has all these features i have found
>nigga comes from a 4.5" phone
>shill for a chinkphone that will feel like 9" to him for the rest of his life
Kys

>no notch
that's because it's 16:9
new open box Moto G5+ for $129.99 on eBay
Ignore the cunt bad mouthing Moto, get the Moto Z2 Force off eBay brand new for $299.99, sold by Moto too

Yes, it's worth it.

Return both and buy a Pixel 3

>A/V out
>none
Not true, Huawei Mate 10/Pro, 20/Pro and Note 9 can do it with a USB-C to HDMI cable

but then you'd have to buy a Huawei
and it definitely doesn't have ROM support since they became complete fuckheads back in June

I tried updating my rooted Mi A2 Lite with the OTA update following the xda tutorial that teaches how to properly update without losing root but it didn't work and the update failed. I tried getting rid of root altogether and even relocked my bootloader later on, which wiped my phone as expected, and the OTA update always fails.

Can someone tell me what the fuck I should do just to get this phone with working updates again? I'm tired of pajeet trash so I'm never meddling with root/magisk garbage again.

Attached: 1432407394540.jpg (477x580, 100K)

Just bought a pocophone to replace my redmi note 4.
How bad did I fuck up?

Attached: 1525698882374.jpg (640x800, 73K)

Do you have stock recovery or TWRP?

I don't have TWRP. The phone was wiped when I relocked the bootloader.

I want her to sit on my face.

>that's because it's 16:9
most phones are 16:9?

You sure? When you boot to recovery it's the stock one, not TWRP? With the phones I've had a wipe doesn't remove a custom recovery, you had to flash the stock one back.

Yeah, shit's fucked. I tried to boot into recovery and it just says "no command" and nothing else.

>her

In the "no command" screen you need to press and hold the power button and then volume up shortly to get to the actual recovery menu.

Got a new Galaxy S9+ today. What's the best case for this beauty guys?