You guys never said what's wrong with GNOME 3

You guys never said what's wrong with GNOME 3

>inb4 memory usage
it *itself* is literally 300 MB after boot, the huge memory pattern is due to the bloat in your distro

GNOME 3 is modern, looks good and feels monolithic, not like Xfce which is composed of million parts and looks ugly as fuck.

So, why you hate the progress?

Attached: gnome-3.26-in-fedora-27.jpg (1159x662, 58K)

gnome3 is decent, I just switched from gnome to i3wm; I have to say I'm very satisfied with i3.

>the huge memory pattern is due to the bloat in your distro
Yes, but it's gnome's bloat. Mainly nautilus's tracker, and other gnome bullshit. Still, gnome is comfy, even will all the bloat you can't remove without breaking gnome.

I can't style half of it. I'm not even talking about ricing, just normal theming, which doesn't even work inside half of the DE (ex. your screenshot of their macOS-looking application menu)
>Xfce looks ugly
I don't think you know what "theming" means at all.
>You just hate progress!
This is the same argument applefags use.

Not OP, but adwaita-dark is all I need.

yeah, i'm not a redditor ricer
excuse me for demanding an out of the box experience

>excuse me for demanding an out of the box experience
then you're using the wrong DE, you should be using KDE Plasma if you want OOB

Clicking "arc-dark" in the themes menu isn't ricing.

if you put the effort in it and arent lazy xfce you can customize xfce to not look that bad

I literally give 0 fucks about desktop gimmicks. I used ubuntu with unity from 2012 until 2 weeks ago when I updated to the newest ubuntu with gnome.

It works fine. I even figured out how to write an extension that displays the text of my speech recognition program I'm working on.

But with that said. I did notice last night gnome-shell using 20% of cpu for some reason. I restarted gnome-shell and it dropped down to like 2% but it seems to do this randomly. A google search shows some bug reports from as recently as a few days ago all the way back to march. My guess is it has to do with the zoomed out view of all windows when you're playing a video in a browser, where it uses up cpu to shrink down the video and it then never releases whatever it was up to.

I wish the complaints were all bullshit but there is some truth to them, I'm afraid. It annoys me because I literally spent the weekend reading about how to make shell extensions.

I don't think I'm going to switch unless it really becomes a noticeable problem though.

Attached: orang.jpg (800x452, 67K)

>using ubuntu
>picture related

>2018
>not using KDE Plasma

Attached: 1536682799084.png (540x540, 264K)

or you can just install Manjaro XFCE (from the architect iso to avoid the default bloat) and use the time you saved to fap to Ariana Grande

budgie is gnome 3 done right

Attached: 1535157462690.jpg (1024x831, 97K)

>budgie
>clicking on the panel
>nothing happens
lel

I literally never got it to run at 60fps. It's always stuttering around 20-40fps. Not even mouse movements render at 60.
Also nautilus always feels like it's full of bugs.

GNOME 3 feels like a tablet operating system, not a desktop system.
I have Budgie and I can tell you this shit never happens. Panel is responsive as hell.

Gnome 3 is shit, looks ugly and is not satisfying at all, XFCE is very good and customizable and feels always very good

I think you got those two backwards

>using a javascript DE
even fucking KDE is better, and no QML is not js

>>inb4 memory usage
That was never an issue. The problem is that it leaks like an old bucket and is constantly suffering from some kind of bugs and issues.

I really like Gnome, I like the way it's structured and I honestly think it would be the best DE ever if it didn't have these technical issues that make it so horrible. It's definitely a piece of software I'd never bother even trying on a rolling release distro.

because I prefer a DE which help me doing what I want like KDE instead of a DE wich always get in my way like Gnome

Attached: 1514907641166.png (742x828, 141K)

also Gnome devs are jackass

Attached: gnome-devs.png (1119x640, 134K)

>the huge memory pattern is due to the bloat in your distro
Please post which distro manages to make GNOME a semi-lightweight experience. It sure as hell isn't Fedora.
Also
>little customizability out of the box
>buggy extensions
>drastic design choices, which are not to everyone's taste

I have to admit though that GNOME 3 is great if you need good high-dpi support.

>GNOME 3 is great if you need good high-dpi suppor
acutally I have a 13" laptop with 1080p screan and I like to put a 1,2 scale factor on that, like Windows do automatically, I tried on both Gnome and KDE, and KDE was the best.
On Gnome you need to use Wayland, so no Nvidia support, and everything seems blurred.
On KDE the only downside was Electron app like discord and vscode, but I fixed that by adding a "--force-device-scale-factor=1.2" to the launchers

Attached: 9fee6f90578f026d95c11cc2a993e199dd412850ce5190a03fbd1d14f4dab721.png (2800x3600, 870K)

Adwaita dark is great, but it needs to be more compact.
There was a user made condensed session of adwaita I used back when I was running fedora 25, dont know if its still around or functional

I'm convinced KDE has drones on here and reddit. Every person I know IRL who uses Linux prefers gnome. Yet online all the little weeb fucks dog it hard.

because it's a piece of shit

it's dogged hard because its complete shit m8, heavier and less configurable than KDE, also it's a fucking tablet interface and gtk3 is a fucking joke unless you're talking about MATE, just use that instead of foot because it's a fucking joke of a DE

>the huge memory pattern
is due to the second running gdm session and leaks with nvidia
enable auto login for gnome 2.28 and earlier

>not like Xfce which is composed of million parts and looks ugly as fuck.
Xfce is more customizable and you can tweak it to your own liking, if it looks ugly it's your own fault.

lxde is the white man's desktop environment. fuck off to r/linux GNOMEnigger

gome 3 is terrible because it is designed for tablets. It looks clean and has good high dpi support, but anything utilizing the gnome stack would have that as well