Why does Jow Forums hate games?

Video games are software, and very interesting software too in some cases. Hearing about all kinds of tricks used to compress game data or get around hardware limitations is something I'm really interested in.

inb4 it's a waste of time:you're on Jow Forums. wastes of time are nothing new

Attached: game controller.jpg (1199x790, 72K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Battle_for_Wesnoth
youtu.be/R8LR65U6-XU
youtube.com/watch?v=OGDtViPngi8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

videogames are closed source. nothing interesting is available for discussion

I was going to say nobody but manchildren and faggots play videogames, then I recalled the state of the tech industry. I feel like a faggot just using a keyboard. We should group suicide.

>surprised Jow Forums is purposely contrarian
There have been some relatively recent GDC talks about data compression that sound cool

There's a board for it and Jow Forums is not it

Because 98% of the people who come to Jow Forums to discuss vidya are /v/irgins who don't know shit about technology

>Jow Forums shits on games
>proceeds to post his riced out anime desktop
There's nothing wrong with video games unless you have deep-rooted insecurities.
I don't like PC games tho. PCs are only good for emulating console games.

Attached: sitting on kumiko!.png (1800x2039, 638K)

>close source
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Battle_for_Wesnoth

www.wesnoth.org
domain inaccessible, expired a few days ago

Jow Forums doesn't, but and marketing does.

AMD marketing, and brand ambassadors started to make a big stink about vidya on Jow Forums.

Because Jow Forums can't play vidya on their used $200 thinkpads

Attached: delet-this-3385839.png (500x396, 78K)

emulators are fun

Because the majority of people asking for "le ebic GAYMING RIG ADVISSE" are low IQ retards who hail from /v/. Discussion of hardware for gaming is cool, but asking for a fully specced out build (especially when we already have a general thread for it) is just missing the point. A majority of people who play video games have no love for the actual hardware it's running on, they merely want the game to just run and then they call it a day.
Jow Forums has a few of their favorite games, stuff like Dwarf Fortress, Doom (93), and nethack and loved here. So it's not the fact we hate games, it's the ignorance of the people who play them we dislike.
The fact that the majority of games are closed source and usually only run on machines running a proprietary OS doesn't help either.

my $100 libreboot X200 has no problem playing vidya

Attached: shot0011.jpg (1600x900, 232K)

games *waste* my time

Jow Forums got bullied by gaymers

Because gaymers are insufferable human garbage. Any other answer is wrong.

>Why does Jow Forums hate games?
Because video games are for literal children and neckbearded manbabbies, neither of which need to be here. These faggots need to grow the fuck up and get actual adult hobbies, like anime and desktop ricing.

Attached: 1518639420641.png (440x265, 78K)

urbaned and terrorpilled

kek

what are some early 2000s and older games that would run on intel graphics 4000?

This

AMD shills only started to shill against gaming because AMD CPUs and GPUs are grossly inferior to Intel and Nvidia

But once there's a benchmark that shows AMD being ahead they're the first ones to let everyone know about

All AMD shills should hang

>games that would run on intel graphics 4000
calculator
notepad

What about 0 A.D. and tuxkart?

> video games are for literal children and neckbearded manbabbies
>animeshitposter

Attached: 1527152815352.jpg (900x900, 176K)

I don’t

We don't necessarily hate video games, we just hate the fact that people talk about them here when there just happen to be three (3) boards dedicated to discussion of video games on this site.

pic related

Attached: 3b1ae8a202f81d4a492af121f5f8966158ea714959228e2f0bb02ac39e11c7ae.png (413x250, 32K)

they're toys

for children

Attached: toys.png (709x636, 167K)

>manchildren and faggots
>not realizing they're on an anime image board with every other poster using an anime image.

I'm ok with puzzle games that offer 5 minute distractions and emulated crap for 5-10 minutes at a time.

It's all the modern AAA gaming shit where you are obligated to spend hundreds of hours and spend extra money to beat that I want no part of.

because tech is supposed to increase quality of life, not decrease it

lurk more

Hey fanboy go suck a penis.

Jow Forums pretends to hate video games but the graphics cards they obsess over are only used for one thing

Is this official art? Sure looks like it.

vidya are for nigger cattle

Friendly reminder
youtu.be/R8LR65U6-XU

>PCs are only good for emulating console games.

Attached: 1475093101141.jpg (1000x584, 52K)

cracking wpa2

RIP Terry

>Hearing about all kinds of tricks used to compress game data or get around hardware limitations is something I'm really interested in.
demo scene. no need for faggot gaymers to have interesting software tricks

youtube.com/watch?v=OGDtViPngi8

user wasn't wrong though, and it's the same reason why r/amd is making a big stink about PS, and other non /v/ software now.

>no love for the actual hardware it's running on
>love for less complex lego
your life must be empty

That's the mentality I was pointing out.

>demo scene.
.kkreiger was fucking cool
96kb 3d shooter with graphics as good as quake 3.

fuck off weeb.

the graphics were terrible because they were all procgen'd

Because this isn't /v/, retard. There are four boards on this site dedicated to your toys, why can't you just stay there? Why must you spread your filth over the rest of this site? Games are the least interesting form of software and the people who program them only do so because they are too incompetent for anything meaningful.

the shit AAA games do to even run is 10 times more complex than anything any demoscener has ever done

>Games are the least interesting form of software
yes my web apps are much more interesting than any game

Yes, web apps are more interesting than games.

Lets talk about how shit windows 8.1 is while showing off linux distros that are garbage touch screen metro bullshit.

This community is cancer.

>This community is cancer.
no shit
'technology' isn't a real interest or hobby
wish moot would just make a programming board

The GUI is the least important part of an operating system.

Rather talk about how shit Windows 10 is.

Attached: cantstopupdates2.png (1920x2160, 243K)

>wish moot would just make a programming board

He did.
They closed it and Jow Forums started getting spammed with pajeet stack overflow bullshit.

>pajeet stack overflow bullshit.
better than GPU threads, linux threads, watch threads, desktop threads, phone threads

I've used windows 10 for 2 years and I have never once had that message. What the fuck did you do to your OS?

I get that message often. It auto downloads updates if you're not on the lgbt version.

I guess it's the least important if you're blind.

I don't know about you, but I use a monitor.

I'm not on the LTSB version and have never had that message. I've rebooted and had it update when windows started back up, but never once has it forcibly shut its self down.

My memory is foggy, maybe I managed to disable it when I first installed it.

Because it usually reboots automatically and you never see it.

I'd most certainly see it because I'd come back to specific programs closed.

It does not shut its self off or reboot unless I tell it to.

Firstly, it isn't necessary. You can run your OS fine with just text. Secondly, it can be changed to look however you want. There are hundreds of DE/WMs and thousands of themes with an infinite number of configurations. There is no reason to dismiss an OS based on the GUI.

>It does not shut its self off or reboot unless I tell it to.

You are talking about Windows right?

Attached: battle.jpg (512x288, 30K)

It's probably a matter of a 5 second registry edit.

You fags always go on and on about how great linux is, having to run a command line to do anything, yet you can't even figure out how to do basic registry edits?

Looks like you didn't set your group policy settings properly. On mine any attempt to reboot automatically fails, the only way to reboot is for me to choose the option in the start menu.

It wouldn't automatically reboot, I had all that shit disabled.

I just couldn't figure out how to get rid of that popup, it would keep coming back but never actually reboot, the time would always be the current time.

I ended up just moving shit over to qemu so I don't have to worry about uptime when Windows reboots.

>I've rebooted and had it update when windows started back up, but never once has it forcibly shut its self down.
This explains it. The message only shows up if you don't shut down, or reboot for a period of time after automatically downloading updates.

Also the reason that popup occured was because I was never actually logged in to Windows.

I would use Steam streaming to play video games and that shit would steal focus.

Super niche use case I know.

Then reboot it when you're ready. The point of disabling auto reboot was so your server doesn't kill everything in the middle of the night without warning, not because you want to wank it to uptimes. Install the updates when you've got a few minutes to spare and reboot it yourself. I've been doing that since XP and this is no different.

I didn't care about uptimes.

I cared about that one time I wanted to play a game and Windows was updating.

If you want to really kill windows updates just disable the services. I learned that the hard way when I disabled the Microsoft account sign-in assistant thinking it was useless since I'm never signed up for their bullshit, turned out windows updates depends on it for whatever reason, and as a result I went for four months with nothing but windows defender updates and actually had to install security updates by downloading the packages from their catalog to install manually.

I didn't want to kill updates, I wanted to make them optional, without nag prompts.

Enable the service when you want to update and disable them afterward. It's an extra step but still better than the FUD people spread.

That isn't a solution.
I still want to be notified when updates are available.

There is no acceptable solution afaik. Just need to reboot and update to not be annoyed by popups.

Updates are available on the second Tuesday of the month.

Back on Windows 7 you saw new updates and could choose to just not install them, and it wouldn't bother you again until there were more updates.

On 10 they changed the behavior to just persistently fucking nag you because fuck what you decide, these are important updates.

>implying
fuck off /v/ermin

Attached: 1581438467978.jpg (1200x675, 73K)

To put this into perspective for someone who doesn't quite understand my frustration.

Imagine you are standing in a concrete room and Windows is some guy that needs to pee.

He says I need to pee, and you point to the bathroom, he then leaves.

Windows 10 tells you that he needs to pee and you point to the bathroom, but he just pisses himself and a puddle starts forming and slowly moves towards your socks.

There is nothing you can do, your socks are going to get pee on them.

Its basically rape.

because they spent their youth playing with their joystick instead of using their joystick

If you want to discuss games go to one of the boards dedicated to their discussion, no need to further shit up this already shit board

They don't
This board is literally just a dedicated PC gaming /v/ variant.

Deep learning training?

Contrarianism. The amount of /v/ posters here isn't nearly as high as the spergs claim.
I myself don't have a problem with video games in general. I do play them feom time to time, but it's almost always old stuff/stuff that is easily emulated. Newer games just don't interest me.

There isn't any interesting discussion about video games though
The average game is just some shit thrown together in UE or Unity with bought assets
The only people that are innovating are the big AAA studios and nobody except for the studio is ever going to see these "neat" optimizations.

Battle for Wesnoth is great. So is Xonotic, 0ad, OpenArena, freeciv...

>The only people that are innovating are the big AAA studios and nobody except for the studio is ever going to see these "neat" optimizations.

Attached: 1532842128104.gif (400x388, 160K)

Dwarf Fortress

I really hate how people talk down video games. Video games have been the primary drive for home computers since the 80's . Which was only recently surpassed by entertainment in general thanks to the ubiquity of the internet. Grown up stuff, as some people like to put it has always been a minority in home computing.

DF is closed source.

>Jow Forumsshitter didn't get the obvious joke
What a shawk.

Most of Jow Forums don't hate gamers. We hate /v/tards and their stupids memes.

tfw toady has an assassination clause in his will to prevent the source code from releasing under mysterious death

wesnoth domain is up retard

heroes iii

>He didn't filter all those threads

Play openTTD if you want maximum comfy.
I play it at 2k on an old t420 in my room at night when I can't ward off the demons

Attached: openttd-128.gif (128x128, 7K)