How tf do you make a VPS pay for itself?

How tf do you make a VPS pay for itself?
Pic related.
BTW the RAM usage isn't normally thhis high.

Attached: vps.png (601x287, 132K)

bump for interest

Charge money in exchange for service?

this

elaborate

But it's self explanatory.

run minecraft server with donations

This might actually be a good idea. But you need people to mod it then, building stuff setting plug ins and safe zones.. Pretty annoying. Then have to find a place to sponsor it in order to make people join it and then donate.

get on the alt video site bandwaggon and plaster it with ads

What VPS should I get as first VPS ever?

What site is good? What specs should I look for? Are they hard to configure for doing stuff? Does every VPS come different from others and thus different to configure? Thanks in advance for helping a dumbo like me.

Here's your vps bud, a fuckin raspberry pi. Don't bother spending 5 bucks a month on some cheap vpn when you can pay a dollar at most a month in electrcity for a raspberry pi. That is, if you're using it for web hosting, something more demanding, like a game server, might want a better dedicated server

Attached: kgAah.jpg (99x81, 1K)

OP has a VPS, but you should get a VPS with unlimited data, the most cores, and ram for your budget, and get service from a company that knows what they are doing who can guarantee uptime, so don't even think of purchasing service from a random plebian like op.

The best way to do this is to just build your own server and get a decent isp

the main reason for a hobbyist to get a VPS isn't more computing power, it's getting a decent internet connection. Lots of residential connections (cable especially) have shit upload bandwidth. Even the ones that don't commonly fuck with your ability to host things accessible to the internet, since they're protecting a "business" tier that's the same connection without the line in the TOS saying you can't run a server, for three times more money.

Also even if the ISPs didn't fuck you you couldn't run a mail server, since every spam blacklist assumes that any residential-ISP block will only ever emit spam, when some fuck gets malware. Even if you set everything up right nobody will accept mail from you because of the residential IP.

bad advice. people often don't anticipate how frustratingly slow a Pi can be. you also have to hope your ISP is okay with self-hosting. also, have fun trying to get your email server off global blacklists. at this point you've already wasted $50 or however much they go for, and will most likely end up going for a VPS anyway.

tl;dr - get some cheap VPS which you can upgrade or cancel as needed. you'll be able to do much more with fewer headaches.

This, or find a local coloc that will let you use your shitty hardware, and electricity/bandwidth hog for a cheap price.

The pi has actually worked really well for my webhosting needs, pretty fuckin fast for everything. Updates are slow as shit though. I don't have a personal email server, so I'm fine on that front

Guess I'm the lucky one then, I got Charter Spectrum, good speeds and they haven't bitched about my server

Most ips are fine about self hosting as they use dynamic IP's to make it a pain over the TOS restriction

what kind of server? I've always heard residential ISPs don't really bother going after game servers or SSH, but get mad at you for anything on TCP 80 or 443, and proactively block inbound connections on TCP 25 and other email ports.

well there's always dynamic-DNS stuff, they aren't stupid, they know a dynamic IP is barely a speed bump. Especially because those IPs, though technically they could change at any time, are in practice mostly static. I have Spectrum now and had Comcast before I moved, and with both of them my IP would stay the same for weeks or longer, even across modem resets and such.

As I said, web hosting, so guess mine doesn't care about port 80

Been there, done that. Used to get $3K/month in untaxed donations doing modpack servers but my internet is crap now so I can't admin it. I can't connect to the server to even make a map.

I had an OVH MG-128 (128GB RAM 32c64t I think) dedicated server and it was beautiful. I just get this warm fuzzy feeling when I have a dedicated server all to myself to generate rainbow tables and crack hashes and shit.

>asking how to create value
>thinks making money is easy
>thinks that he isn't blessed to have a boss of some sort

sell seedbox accounts

Attached: 1515872265969.jpg (640x474, 38K)

bump