Can you survive without Google?

I decided to revive my old Nexus 5 with a fresh battery from china.
Installed LineageOS on it, it runs super snappy (for an old phone).

Since I deleted my Google account, I am not using it's play store.
I am a paranoid and don't trust any of the apk sources but the original website, which is why I only have Whatsapp and Threema installed (can't do it without them). The rest is pre-installed LineageOS apps.
Also fuck F-Droid. You are literally asking to get your financial data stolen and abused with that crap.

Question to you: what would you miss? What essential things can't be done in the browser? What additional apps do you suggest?
I am not advocating for anything in this thread. Anyone should use what he likes (as long as it's not F-Droid or any other site that spreads AIDS).

Attached: lineageos_nexus5.jpg (781x585, 37K)

>Can you survive without Google?
Yes, easy.
I've been running clean Lineage for a year or so and i don't even have a googlel account.

>Also fuck F-Droid. You are literally asking to get your financial data stolen and abused with that crap
wut

>What additional apps do you suggest?
The Play services and Play Store so that the higher level battery saving API calls are available.

>I've been running clean Lineage for a year or so and i don't even have a googlel account.
My man.

>wut
Well, most of us do payments over the phone for various things. F-Droid is known for having malware.

>is worried about having his financial data stolen by free software
>uses proprietary software
I wonder how some people are able to breathe.
I de-googled my Nexus 5 around 3 years ago and never looked back. Use only stuff from f-droid with the sole exception of WhatsApp.
I also don't use online banking so even if someone tried to steal my financial data, they can't. In any case apps on f-droid are the least of your worries in this day and age when it comes to privacy and data security.

>Doing payments over the phone
People do this?

I dont really use google.
Fdroid plus a cracked version of blackplayerEX.(I already bought it but it requires drm for authentication)

I'd miss Maps for the bus and train schedules. OSM is great but that's the only feature it lacks imo.

>F-Droid is known for having malware
Given that it's free software, can you point to a specific malware you've found? Playstore has thousands more malware than Fdroid.

>Can you survive without Google?
Deleted all my google shit 2 years ago, facebook & linkedin shit 5 years ago. i don't need it. nobody needs it. use chromium browser

>My man.
That only works on Jerry.

>have Whatsapp installed
>Also fuck F-Droid. You are literally asking to get your financial data stolen and abused with that crap.
>F-Droid is known for having malware.
wew

It's not like i have a choice, you can't do shit without Whatsapp over here.

I like using Google search, and YouTube, so maybe.

yes i've been doing it with a nexus 4 for a long while. however some apps do not work without google services, such as uber, and my cities transport app. it's ok I still get by.

also battery lasts twice as long without googler services ....

>I wonder how some people are able to breathe.
Who's gonna steal your money? Big corporations or some Brazilian programmer?

How and where the fuck can I download APK's that are not malware? I've completely removed all traces of google from the device, and even gone as far as blocking most google servers at the hosts level. Short of just making my own version of every app, what do I do?

>such as uber
a simple workaround is using it via a browser

The one whose software can't be audited and requires a gorillion of permissions.

Did your wrangler type your post? Because you are clearly unable to read and parse my previous post. Read it again carefully.

APKmirror

This is not about removing google, it's about living without a google account out of pure hatred.
If you download an APK, download it from a company's website and not from some shady freeware/pirate play store.

I would miss nothing. I would install nethunter with nexmon and have a heyday.

Companies don't have an interest to steal your money off your paypal or whatever.
Free software is not being checked by anyone. People say it's open source and therefore safe, but nobody actually reads the god damn source code.

>Companies don't have an interest to steal your money off your paypal or whatever.
They have an interest to steal your data which is just as valuable.
>Free software is not being checked by anyone. People say it's open source and therefore safe, but nobody actually reads the god damn source code.
Blatantly false.

>They have an interest to steal your data which is just as valuable.
Yes, but it doesn't damage me financially. A 3rd worlder stealing my money does.

>Blatantly false.
No. Nobody does it. Even if you checked a software, you won't check every update. Since this is not a commercial app store, nobody gives a fuck if his software gets blacklisted. It simply pays off to scam 1st worlders out of their money.

I don't give a fuck what your thread is about. (((Google))) is a shit company and I want nothing to do with them. I daily an iPhone X anyways. The Essential phone is just for muh autism and if I can get it setup properly it will be a nice black phone to have.

Looks legit, thanks bud! No surprises that my google searches never led to that site.

Can you name ONE instance of malware being distributed through F-Droid? I can name many that got distributed from the Play Store.

>I don't give a fuck what your thread is about. (((Google))) is a shit company and I want nothing to do with them. I daily an iPhone X anyways. The Essential phone is just for muh autism and if I can get it setup properly it will be a nice black phone to have.
I do agree with you, but you are an asshole.

No, because nobody gives a fuck about it. It's almost like AUR for android, and AUR has had malware. So why would F-Droid be safe?
The difference between a commercial store and a freetard store is that one is operated by companies who want your metadata, the other one is operated by 3rd worlders wanting your payment credentials.

>You are literally asking to get your financial data stolen and abused with that crap.
[citation needed]

>deleted shit from three botnets
>shills a botnet browser anyway

they're interested in your data, goy. it's not stealing when most people willingly give it to them by using their services.

Yes, you can.

No, i can't.

I ran clear CopperheadOS with F-droid and I'm happy. If you have extra needs, you can use yalp, but on my installer, I installed nothing extra.

Ofcourse, if you're the only one looking at the screen everything is completely private! It's not like somebody could actually see what you're doing, now excuse me while i go play some more candy crush while getting obliterated by adds.

Isn't the future great?

You installed Whatsapp, Facebook owns your info now.

Not that guy, but if you work for a small/medium sized business and your boss tells you to install Whatsapp and is too stubborn to use anything else then you either install Whatsapp or get fired...

>I don't have a phone which supports WhatsApp
>THATS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING! YOU'RE FIRED!
Ok, let him fire you.

>Everyone has the luxury of being able to live in their parents home and not worry about paying the bills.
Found the neckbeard.

You're not even qualified to work outside of a shit job where you're forced to use WhatsApp and not even given an official work phone and you're calling me a neckbeard? You fucking hobo.

>mocks people who use proprietary software
>uses proprietary CPUs
>uses proprietary software that is known for spying on you

YALP STORE

I worked for an IT company, this is what the boss himself told me and a colleague:

"We will equip you with phones and laptops. Which ones? You choose. iPhone? Android? I don't care, we will make it work."

Also, Whatsapp was never required. Neither was ANY program. It was literally about "we will make this work". I used Debian, colleague used a Macbook, other guys used Kali Linux. Everything went over encrypted e-mail, although I already had Signal before, so we were on a similar service with the boss.

Your employer CANNOT force you to install software and threaten to fire you if you don't. That is illegal and you can sue.

I'm on microg for whole year now.
Werks for me

Hey faggot, WhatsApp runs on any third-world OS. I'm not a fan of it but many employers would prefer something simple over setting up an encrypted XMPP server

>F-droid
>malware
I think you're cofusing something here
Aptoid has a bunch of crap
Google play has a bunch of crap
Independent f-droid repos might have a bunch of crap
But f-droid itself? It's probably the hardest foss repo to get into on android

how most employers are, they might want you to have email on the phone, but they don't care what app if any (just web browser) you use for it.

>iPhone X
stopped reading there, your opinions discarded, subhuman goy

Just because it's foss it doesn't mean that it's safe.
Apps there are written by a bunch of 3rd worlders who don't have to fear any consequences for stealing your money.

Why F-Droid is bad ?
Do you use Yalp ?

>YALP STORE

Please exam how this is malware?

stop this meme
some idiot keeps posting it until Jow Forums will start repeating it

>he gives root permissions to sudoku app

>working in any company that asks you to install whatsapp
Haha, how pathetic

Maybe in burgeland or parts of yurop (to a lesses degree), the rest of the world doesn't work like that, doesn't matter if you have a STEM degree o flip choripans for a living

This is kinda sad desu, WhatsApp has become such a standard that one of the last times I wiped my phone forgot to activate it for a weekend and ppl thought I was dead or something, my mom had to call me long distance just to check if I was ok.

Don't worry about argie devs, cashing on PayPal money is worthless until we get a less shitty government, so never.
If I try to cash the $200 bucks I'll get only half of it if I'm lucky

Most FOSS, including F-Droid apps, is written by Americans and Europeans. Malware apps made by chinks or indians are almost always closed source, and frequently contain stolen GPL code. Just look at Newpipe, the creator and lead developer is German, the gorillion closed source copies with stolen code and ads(that somehow got approved on Play Store despite breaking both GPL and Google's own guidelines) are all made by shady third worlders.

>Anyone should use what he likes (as long as it's not F-Droid
this is one of the dumbest things i've read today

Half of Europe can be counted as 3rd world.

No it can't
1st world - NATO
2nd world - Warsaw Pact
3rd world - unaligned
following the "collapse" of Communism, these terms were shifted a bit but not nearly enough to label half of Europe as 3rd world.

Unless of course you mean West Europe importing millions of Muslims, in which case I agree

>don't trust google so I trust facebook
What the fuck is this retardation?

I need the Google calendar shit too help me schedule meetings with my prof and all the map apps I found are ass compared to Google maps I'm pretty sure the only way I can use my bank's app is through the play store too

Any alternatives to all this shit?

>chink battery

enjoy your phone blowing up on or against either your face or some part of your body, retard

>>Any alternatives to all this shit?
well my alternative to my bank's app is... to not do banking on a phone. If they have an app, they have a website, and you can use that from a proper computer.

The only reason why I use it is because it lets me deposit cheques without having to go to the bank

Use an iPhone with apple or microsoft services.

Problem solved.

There's a lot of misinformation about fdroid here. It's not at all like the AUR, since every submission is audited before being added to the repository. Fdroid is probably the safest app "store" you can use on android.

Does WhatsApp work without the google framework without problems?

my bank used to let me do that by taking pictures and uploading them to their website on a desktop machine. They they revamped their website to be more mobile friendly and took that shit out, in addition to making it look like ass. They replaced it with a "download the app" page.

It's online-only so there's no branches to go to. so now on the (fairly uncommon) occasion that I get checks I snail-mail them to a PO box, taking some satisfaction in the knowledge that their decision to remove a desktop-focused feature from the site now costs them a bit more money to shuffle paper around. This makes the check take like a week to clear but "I need this check cashed immediately or I'm in trouble" isn't a situation you should find yourself in.

yes

Not sure if you're an idiot or a troll...
No, wait, I got it: you're an idiot troll

I'd like to now that they've cucked my free "Google Apps For Your Domain" (now G Suite) account because 'muh GDPR'. Can't review play store apps, can't get my botnet speaker to access my calendar, it's getting shitter and shitter.

>Question to you: what would you miss? What essential things can't be done in the browser?
I've been using LineageOS/CyanogenMod - gapps combination for close to two years now. Honestly I can't remember anything more than very mild inconveniences. At my old workplace we used emails to communicate and now NEET me only uses SMS on a separate shitty burner phone.

>What additional apps do you suggest?
Encrypt your phone and get auto pin shutdown on F-Droid. Put different passwords for your unlock key and decryption key. My particular setup is # key pin on randomized keyboard, and another randomized decryption key since my phone is wide-open otherwise, and by this I mean some can just pull my files through TWRP.

>as long as it's not F-Droid
Okay what is this yet another bullshit you are propagating

t.google play defense team

>I mean some can just pull my files through TWRP.
I highly doubt the nigger that steals your phone would go through that task, they just wipe everything as soon as the SIM card is locked, anyways.
>having personal and sensitive info in your phone
ishygddidi.jpg

Are you saying I should leave my phone open because hurr durr only niggers steal? What brainless post. Don't ever reply to me again, fucking idiot. You had nothing of value to say.

>Also fuck F-Droid. You are literally asking to get your financial data stolen and abused with that crap.
>YALP STORE

>app store X is malware!
>see, I can prove it!
>app store Y is malicious!
What an absolute dolt. Just stick with Google shit since you're too dumb to understand what you're installing. I bet you're the sort of bottom of the barrel shit eating retard who runs Windows XP and complains about popups and toolbars. You're more tech illiterate than my grandma.

yeah its easy, only all the maps/nav solutions are shit. If you need it for business or something enjoy trying to navigate in real life using osmAND or w/e