Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Profile_(Portage)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Just use manjaro and carry on with your life

>didn't read the manual
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Profile_(Portage)

>Circular dependencies

Classic Gentoo.

You should update, with newuse, your fresh install before switching profiles and not use any desktop subprofiles before you have setup X11 and network.
Basically:
>default profile
>emerge -avuDN world
>main desktop profile (not plasma or gnome)
>emerge -avuDN world
install xorg including drivers and networkmanager
>desktop specific profile
>emerge -avuDN world
Now you can install any desktop meta package or set (@).

gentoo is for people who already know how to use it. Also, learn to use emerge opts and FEATURES.

like this
>neofetch --ascii_distro gentoo

>ok, now i want to install greate DE
lmaoaoao. why the fuck would you not use a tiling wm if youre gonna use gentoo. you have to use the terminal so much as it is to install anything, so why not just two hand that keyboard?

>gnome
>gentoo
Holy fuck. Kill yourself. Honestly. Please kill yourself. That's like wanting to install iOS on an S9+. What the fuck are you doing, man?

use windows 7

hug a train

>1 year to install gentoo

are you running an intel 4004?

why didn't you just follow the normal installation instructions then get gnome after you booted into your install.....also you're getting gnome without systemd RIGHT?

>emerge world
wait what? you can do that?
what's the difference between world and @world?

i guess they translate to the same shit, @ are sets but in the end it should be the same since world is your world file and there shouldn't be a different context since it just contains explicit installed packages.

would help

>gentoo is for people who already know how to use it
how would one know how to use it without installing gentoo?

Yeah, but i mean the "tricks" to get out of circular dependency troubles by installing and switching profiles one step at a time and leaving USE flags alone. It's not mentioned in the handbook at all even though almost everyone will get those problems. So you already have to be used to gentoo to even know about it.

For example, it is better to install firefox or something else before the actual DE to get most of the underlying system up with minimal potential dependency issues and blocks. That way you don't have to deal with tens of packages blocking some incompatible shit at once, like in OP.

Don't believe that user mentioned using TempleOS

isn't this an inherent problem with Portage itself? or does other source-based distros, like SourceMage, suffer from this same problem?

RTFM
I installed Gentoo pretty much blind, went with a mostly minimal kernel, then would just occasionally google ' gentoo' and every single thing that had kernel requirements or any complex USE flags had a dedicated wiki page
Hell it took me less time to get Optimus working on my laptop with gentoo than it did debian, and it was easier to get steam running with proton too

I have hit a weird snag with doxygen though, but I'm under a stronger impression that's doxygens fault than anything else

>compile kernel
>thing i need is missing
>recompile kernel
>another thing i need is missing
>recompile kernel
>recompile kernel
>recompile kernel
>corrupted initramfs
>kernel panic
>cry
>recompile kernel

Attached: 1532581165023.png (500x453, 193K)

@world is for world set, world is backwards compatibility for long time users that can't be arsed to learn the new way

>i fell for a meme why is it hard

Brainlet normalfag who fell for the current meme distro detected. Before it was Mint and now it's Manjaro for whatever bullshit reason. Just install Arch for fucks sake.

Or...
Or...
Get this.
You could...
You could install normal modern OS.
OS that works for you and not the other way around.

Shocking I know

the alpha solution is to use a monolithic partition so you don't need initramfs and boot faster

i know this feel
i did this on a piece of shit computer that took hours to compile it as well
i'm so retarded it hurts

>i can't install fresh gnome
That's a feature. Basted and redpilled desu.

>that boomer who uses world instead of @world

>i can't install fresh gnome 3.30
And this is bad because... ?

Why?

>gnome without systemd RIGHT?
Yeah, fuckin shit. I can't doit.

I want deblobed gentoo + gnome openrc. Is it possible?

So you learn new skills and do something productive?
So you stop acting like a god damn hipster?
OS should never stand in the way of doing real work on computer.

Here's a tip. Try NixOS or GuixSD if you are freetard and afraid of SystemD.

>he actually installed gentoo
holy crap, I didn't actually think that there were people who seek approval and acceptance from others through the OS they use lmao

>how people use gentoo?
without gnome/kde :^)

>Not using systemd profile
It's like you don't understand jank. Also, gentoo is king in injecting custom patches into official packages. That's literally my fetish so thank you very much.

i will tell you a secret, desu
nobody who's not an anime girl or a mentally ill individual is using gentoo unronically

Attached: 1538530051869.jpg (1156x1457, 495K)

I'm tempted to install it for the sole reason that I can build a lean custom system through compile flags

fuuuug
that discouraged me pretty quickly bros

Attached: 1672319637896.jpg (1024x749, 106K)

Did you try to install last gnome + chromium browser?

I don't care about your fetishes, I'm just saying that you could stop being a neckbeard hipster and start spending your time more productively... Sounds familiar?

Anyway dude if you don't want to actually do anything on your PC except compiling, shitposting and watching Chinese cartoons fine. But you are no different than normies spending time shitposting on Facebook, watching YouTube and jerking off.

Easiest thing in the world, to recognise someone not doing real work. Listening to the motherfucking circlejerk as what tool is the best.
Like listening to a fucking construction worker telling everyone how hammer is the only right tool to use, then polishing his fucking hammer and "ricing" it so it would "look cool". It's just a fucking hammer dude, grow up.

The fuck are you talking about? Compiling doesn't take any time at all since phenom II is a thing. Lads on Jow Forums are just too inept to change a few config vals and scream around that chromium takes too long to compile.

Inept != don't want to do it.
I've been there, used Slack, Gentoo, Arch and bunch of other distros. But you will realise eventually when you get high paying job that your time is too valuable to fuck around with configs and flags, and when you get home you want to spend time with your woman instead in front of computer.

don't know about deblobed but gnome+openrc is defiantly possible. gnome without systemd used to be my main desktop environment before I switched to i3. I think gentoo is a bit too ''advanced'' for you. just stick with debian until you can actually read instructions fully and you won't have to make these pointless threads because I can tell you clearly missed a step

Nobodie's forcing you to sit on your comp, dude. Stop projecting.

Be a man of your word and get off Jow Forums to do something productive then, mr high paying job.

Arch is bloat ware.

I spend maybe 2 hours a week on this board, just because I've been here for so long, and most of that time I shitpost from my phone while taking a shit.
Fuck off and go compile something retard

Must be spooky knowing you have a 40% chance to die in the next few years.

>I spend maybe 2 hours a week on this board
Oh, that's okay then. I assumed you're wasting more than 4.32 hours per week here (the official limit on what's considered an acceptable amount of time to waste /week).
>Fuck off and go compile something retard
I don't have to because I use debian. I just don't think you have any right to shit on the gentoo boys.

this - asexual furry

Attached: screenshot.png (1115x633, 105K)

>Doesn't have time to install Gentoo
>Has all the time in the world to shit post on Jow Forums

>>ok, now i want to install greate DE
ew DE use a WM ffs

> women
What are you? Straight???

Do you also make mrproper before every recompile?

Literally doesn't require a monolithic partition

p-probably? idk, i can manage everything just fine except the kernel/boot shit

Attached: 1526215169241.png (500x553, 218K)

Why not just configure your kernel properly? Its not that hard

By reading the manual and not being a brainlet. It won't take more than a few hours with compilation on a shitty thinkpad

im a retard and i dont know how and nothing i find online is helpful and i just

Attached: 1534227051795.jpg (530x530, 29K)

But it's in the handbook. Just configure manually tho so you are in full control of the settings

the handbook literally just says "use lspci" and i dont know how that helps me find whatever i need to enable in the fuggin kernellllllll is it entirely blank to start with? or what am i doing i just cant fuckin i mean it works mostly if i use genkernel but even then i have to go in and add bluetooth and disable ipv6 and a bunch of shit to get iptables to work but how tf does lspci help me find any of that in the kernel configger tool I DONT KNOW WUT IM DOINGGG

Attached: 1522979783369.jpg (530x530, 32K)

>boot into a ubuntu/livecd kernel
>run lsmod
>google "module_name kernel" for each module
>enable the corresponding option
????
easy as fuck my weeb nigger

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Attached: 1515925725479.jpg (350x524, 8K)

a

AAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaa
iptable_nat 16384 1
nf_conntrack_ipv4 16384 16
nf_defrag_ipv4 16384 1 nf_conntrack_ipv4
nf_nat_ipv4 16384 2 ipt_MASQUERADE,iptable_nat
nf_nat 36864 1 nf_nat_ipv4
nf_conntrack 147456 8 xt_conntrack,nf_conntrack_ipv4,nf_nat,ipt_MASQUERADE,nf_conntrack_netbios_ns,nf_nat_ipv4,nf_conntrack_broadcast,xt_CT
libcrc32c 16384 2 nf_conntrack,nf_nat
iptable_mangle 16384 1
iptable_raw 16384 1
iptable_security 16384 1
ebtable_filter 16384 1
ebtables 36864 3 ebtable_nat,ebtable_filter,ebtable_broute

WHICH ONE THE LEFT OR THE RIGHT THERE'S TOO MANY THINGS

atm switching to gentoo right now since the only other two stable systems needs you to compile for newer software (aka as vidyas) but is a pain in the ass living in dependency hell. It was fucking tricky to get bumblebee working on debian, and Steam literally impossible to get working, probably a flatpak would have solved it though. But to get newer compilers/libraries I would have to make a franken debian, or running testing/sid which is buggy af and breaks all the time

and by those stable systems I meant Red Hat and Debian.
Maybe Mint has its shit better than Ubuntu for an up to date os but there is not that good of a reputation for it.

NixOS is a systemd-based distro, for now at least

GuixSD is not, though. It uses GNU Shepherd/dmd

left, right is the ones that depend of that module, just don't be a retard and google every dependency when a single module pulls everything
this is a bit too small for a lsmod though, you should use ubuntu or anything with a "complete" kernel.

>gentoo is for people who already know how to use it

Circular dependencies