Alright Jow Forums, time for some discussion

So, why do you guys hate Ubuntu? After all, Ubuntu is the reason why demand for Linux is on the rise... Ubuntu is also the reason for;

>Bringing many commercial support for Linux

>Bringing gaming to Linux

>Making Linux more popular, as I stated above

So, why do you guys hate it? You should support this OS, not bash it. Ubuntu is the representative of Linux in tech arena nowadays.

>inb4 unity amazon thing

Unity is long gone now. Back to GNOME days.

And no, I don't use Ubuntu as daily anymore. I am now using Arch Linux with i3-gaps (planning to hop on to Debian)

Attached: 1200px-Ubuntu_18.04.png (1200x675, 200K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/CP8CNp-vksc
andrewcrouthamel.wordpress.com/2018/10/03/making-plasma-superb-in-hidpi/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Newfags hate Ubuntu because they think it makes them sound elite.

Pragmatic people use Ubuntu because it just werks.

Everyone uses manjaro now kiddo get with the times

I tried Manjaro. Ubuntu is more popular.

>it just werkz, bro

*stands in your way*

Attached: kek.webm (405x720, 2.82M)

you must be a retard. I can remove them from my machine no worries. And if you do the minimal install you don't have that shit installed in the first place

Not that I hate Ubuntu itself, more like gnome3 and Unity
>also bloat

xubuntu>*

yeah I bet it does faggot but not in mine so the thing is shit

Attached: worksonmymachine.png (200x193, 29K)

Show me the launchpad bug that proves more than one person ever had this problem. Looks like this guy mounted a system partition as read-only, or something similarly retarded.

>*buntu
>no fix after 14 years
LOL ARE THEY SERIOUS

Attached: 2018 linux file picker thumbnails.jpg (1004x409, 55K)

>So, why do you guys hate Ubuntu?
Mainly because I dislike apt(-get) and its community.

>posted 5 times today
Are you going to be the Linux equivalent of the Windows taskbar flicker guy?

Who the hell uses Nautilus?

"this guy" is me and it was a fresh install on a vanilla ext4 EFI ryzen system
didn't bother looking for bug reports

Attached: 1573267849363.jpg (500x500, 43K)

14 years ago a lot of people did.
but this is about the gtk file picker not having thumbnails (which firefox uses for example), not nautilus.

>Are you going to be the Linux equivalent of the Windows taskbar flicker guy?
yes, because this one looks more retarded and the flicker is just an aesthetics thing and it only happens on slow ass computers (and I'm pissed off the only just werkz distro that I went to when I had to get shit done didn't actually work this time)

I use ubuntu and i3. No bloat, no botnet and no hassle.

Big open source projects in a nutshell. End up full of power crazed bureaucrats who stubbornly refuse to fix shit like this even when people have offered patches.

>didn't bother looking for bug reports
Tard.

Thanks for confirming the spammer is one person, though. :^)

>and it only happens on slow ass computers
And right now you're the only one with this panel issue.
Have you tried to fix the problem yet?

>I care about people knowing it's just me
>that's why I name it kek.webm instead of 157398674982.webm
baka

yeah, I fixed it by going back to windows 10

Attached: 1451847925637.jpg (380x250, 12K)

>GANOO GANOME
kek, every time

Attached: 1455374384565s.jpg (125x120, 4K)

it's funny to watch freetards fly into a seething rage when they see this

strawman

I like that I can just slap it on a machine and it works. I'm too busy to do an install like arch or gentoo anymore. But I used MATE and not GNOME.

stallman

7 years old packages like gcc 4.9 stuck in c++11

are you assuming my gender?

>Defending the botnet
>Ubuntu never bricked any computers
Good one.

could be better.
- default DE is shit (KDE or XFCE are more interesting and could drag more peoples into Linux)
- systemd on Ubuntu is really a resource problem, takes 1-2 mins to boot and Ubuntu distro, not acceptable

but this is for normal users,
power users will always use minimal things like network install ubuntu with i3/openbox, or FreeBSD and tweak every single bit of it

Ugly,gnome sucks,bad font rendering,too mainstream.

>takes 1-2 mins to boot and Ubuntu distro
Mint boots in less than 10 seconds on my 5 year old laptop. GNOME is the main resource problem on Ubuntu.

I use debian, and as far as I remember I have always used debian, and ubuntu was based off debian anyways
And debian is as easy to install and use as ubuntu, I don't see the point of this distro and why I should change to anything else besides debian

Because it can't go a week before breaking and shitting itself.

Ubuntu? You just don't know how to use a computer.

>So, why do you guys hate it?
I don't hate it. I just like other distributions more.

ehhhh

youtu.be/CP8CNp-vksc

Ubuntu is in a steep decline thanks to mark's constant dumbassery. Even fucking mint does a better job communicating and listening to the user base. mark my words; in the future, ubuntu will start e-begging, harvest data and add more sponsored content.

Attached: Untitled.jpg (331x244, 59K)

Mint is behind on its repositories, if I remember correctly.

Cannot stop the mintank

Attached: 1537895465440.png (1062x664, 78K)

Most mint users are faggots that look like this.

Attached: faggot.jpg (460x276, 25K)

i don't hate ubuntu. ubuntu is great man. it got me into linux 7 years ago and its where im still at today. i don't really care for gnome though which is a non issue. i downloaded kubuntu and have been happy since.

You won't believe how wrong you are. Most Mint users are dumb moms and dads who want something Windows-like but don't want to pay.

>it got me into linux 7 years ago
Same here, but the ubuntu of yesteryear isn't the same today.

i HATE the cinnamon DE. mate is better but still not really my thing. the whole thing just looks ugly out of the box and i dont feel like wasting time ricing. what is it that makes mint so well liked? i genuinely dont get it.

I like ubuntu. Guaranteed hardware support from Lenovo and Dell. So what if it looks ugly, Jow Forums is ugly

ur mum, faggit.

Your mother is also ugly

no u

Unity delayed year of the linux desktop by a lot

Yet Unity is the only DE to offer fractional DPI scaling that actually works... Plus it's not bugged and slow as fuck javashit poojeetware. Plus it's not a fucking foot.

>year of the linux desktop by a lot
I sincerely doubt this will ever happen. With ARM's increased popularity, and quantum computing becoming consumer viable in the coming decades; desktop usage will fall to the wayside. I see a future of small embedded devices and thin clients becoming the norm.

>Plus it's not bugged and slow as fuck javashit poojeetware
But it's literally that

I though X handles scaling and not DE

The X server stores a dpi variable, it's up to the clients to actually resize their widgets upon that variable changing.

I respect it; Terry having used Ubuntu made it cool.

Just use Debian. Net install. Even Stable is everyday-usable. If you're that hard up on bleeding edge, use testing (that's what Ubuntu is based off of).

Only reason I am not using Ubuntu is that the mini iso couldn't get through installing GRUB. Only option left was Arch, since I was too lazy to look for bigger USB stick.

Dark times indeed

this, ubuntu with default wallpaper always remind me of terry only downside from ubuntu is it doesn't have updated packages for a lot of open source games

Because Unity was shit and GNOME 3 is still shit.
The non-GNOME versions are fine though.

> Unity is the only DE to offer fractional DPI scaling that actually works.

This is the saddest thing about losing Unity. KDE plasma has fractional hidpi scaling too but it still has problems with the icons in applications being blurry.

I'm not sure if it's more of a general problem with qt though.

thats y i get the mate spin off

Yeah. I wouldn't call DistroWatch hits as a good representation of how well Ubuntu is doing.

Same here. Very comfy except the default settings don't work unless you set XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP to Unity

Other than that it's been a very nice experience.

Wow this is really great.
A design fad that caused mass emigration from Ubuntu is being replaced by a design fad that caused mass emigration from the top desktop environment.
With their powers combined who knows what will happen.

nothing wrong
still ahead of debian I guess
that doesn't look that bad, except if its a faggot. Then he looks gay

Why snap so slow on ubuntu and kodi eat 20% cpu?

Using Lubuntu on my C2D from 2008, it just werkz

>t.pajeet

Is Canonical resorting to paid shills now or are people just trolling?
I can't tell the difference anymore.

Attached: QUESTIONMARK.jpg (720x521, 28K)

> I fixed it by going back to windows 10
Great, never come back please.
We don't want you if you can't even open a bug report

>I'm not sure if it's more of a general problem with qt
It's a qt problem.
But it can be very easily fixed, it's literaly just one line of code.
YOU can help out too, just open pull requests for software that you use:

andrewcrouthamel.wordpress.com/2018/10/03/making-plasma-superb-in-hidpi/

I WANT Linux to succeed. I can't stand Windows 10 but I need it for Creative Cloud.

It's not that i hate it, i started with that, but in those times i had a really beaten computer, basically and after 7.10 it became progressively clunky, until i tried debian and later stayed with arch until this day. It was a great start it's just that became bloated.

>uses too much memory
i'm aware of the official spin-offs, they still use more than debian with the same desktop environment.
>root locked by default requiring 'sudo' over 'su -c'
i'm stuck in my ways, and sudo is shit to work with when you need separate PATH variables for different users. whatever security sudo might have it loses when it comes to trying to limit paths or run as a user in a chroot. it appears to have a way of doing this but it's so convoluted and clumsy it's guaranteed to get fucked up and leave its well lubricated security holes all over the place.
>99% debian testing with mindless breakaway from rolling-esque release style
this is my biggest complaint. why take something like debian testing, with a near rolling release model, and turn it into a standard release distro. if they went the other way and made ubuntu a true rolling release distro i would use it over debian.

my guess is this retard managed to install the partition home as read only
25% is ubuntu and 25% is debian. But most people on ubuntu come from windows, and moat people on debian already know how the linux userspace works
Ubuntu makes its own patches to make it an earlier Debian Stable. But continuous bugs and errors say they really just add shit to the packages. Some people say a new LTS Release often has a lot of bugs and then it matures into something good. But why use something shit since you can have something good as Red Hat, Debian or Gentoo? They at least test and patch the pajeet tier upstream releases to make it usable

Yup. Mint does many things better than Ubuntu, which is apparent when you compare Xubuntu and Mint Xfce.

>My work environment on Ubuntu 3,000 packages.
>Same work environment on Arch, 900 packages.
Bloated much?

Attached: VYV8cQt.jpg (493x639, 84K)

Actually, I never had such problem with Ubuntu + i3-gaps - OP

>Shills
Use kinder language pls. This thread openly endorses kind behavior.
And no, I have tried most major distros in existence, including Arch (a trusted Dev is a friend of mine), Debian, Ubuntu, Gentoo (in fact, a Gentoo Dev is a friend of mine). I am just saying is that, Ubuntu isn't a bad distro. In fact, before Arch, I used Ubuntu 18.04 + i3- gaps on my laptop.

>the year of our lord two thousand and eighteen
>using gnome

This is bait right?

you mean arch is bloated because they can't split packages