What is XMPP?

>What is XMPP?
Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP) is a communication protocol for message-oriented middleware.
Unlike most instant messaging protocols, XMPP is defined in an open standard and uses an open systems approach of development and application, by which anyone may implement an XMPP service and interoperate with other organizations' implementations. Because XMPP is an open protocol, implementations can be developed using any software license and many server, client, and library implementations are distributed as free and open-source software.

>What client should I use?
Get Conversations if you are on Android, Gajim or Pidgin on desktop PC.

>How do I join this Jow Forums groupchat?
Here is the link: xmpp:[email protected]?join

--kek

Attached: xmpp.png (220x226, 14K)

Other urls found in this thread:

jmp.chat/
calyxinstitute.org/projects/public_jabber_xmpp_server
xmpp.net/
compliance.conversations.im/
ring.cx/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Bump.

Bump!
--LordKek

[email protected]

user at [email protected] server cannot communicate with user at [email protected] server. am i rite?

Attached: kiwf.jpg (300x226, 25K)

>interoperate

XMPP supports federation.

but how many servers do?

Attached: 1355027.png (699x485, 286K)

Pretty much every decent server does.
There are a shitton of them.

>middleware
Buzzword bingo!

Is your group chat friendly to w-weebs

Attached: o1440081014137819802.jpg (1440x810, 107K)

NO
fucking neck yourself you disgusting attention whoring anime pedo faggot

>using XMPP instead of matrix in current year

We tolerate weebs, just don't post illegal shit.

I bet you also like sucking dicks, faggot.

XMPP FUUUUCKIN SUUUUUUUCKS

Attached: 795.gif (493x342, 393K)

XM PeePee

Fuck off Roman

What's the best account service right now?

t. zoomer

no

This. What should I use for conversations?

Finally a thread I can use. Any thoughts on integrating an XMPP server with an SMS Gateway? I was banging my head against this a month ago.

like this? jmp.chat/

literally just IRC but bloated

Pretty much all of them except for Jewgle.

MotherFUCKER. You have no idea how long I spent trying to get Openfire to communicate with a locally hosted SMS Gateway and using an SMS service to forward the messages and writing an incredibly complex script to handle reply routing.

I love and hate you at the same time.

i love you too user. what were you using anyway, twilio? just curious, we don't use sms where i live.

>wonder if there are XEPs for video calling
>take a look
>shit isn't finished yet

You know something's wrong here when Jabber is apparently competing with centralized shit like Signal. I use Jabber but normies won't until it has video calling.

I was using Nexmo as the provider then using a Jasmin server to route the messages. But that process quickly spun out of control and I just said "Fuck it" and told the CEO I was shelving it for awhile.

Let this be a lesson kids: working through stuff on your own is great and encouraged. But at a certain point ASK FOR DAMN HELP.

you can bet normies won't use xmpp with video calling either. doesn't jingle support video calls anyway? i remember calling through pidgin years ago.

Use it with OTR but I am thinking that perhaps OTR has been superseded by another protocol?

Why don't people federate Signal?

>dealing with phone numbers

Yep use OMEMO. Switch it on, verify some fingerprints and you can turn your brain off. It's that easy.

omemo is newer but not all clients support it yet. both omemo and otr are okay. gpg can also be used but it's not as common for chatting

i don't think signal is designed to be federated. wire on the other hand may be getting federation soon

>omemo
Thanks - that was what I was thinking of, but its name escaped me.
I did not know that gpg could be utilised as well

Using Conversations on my phone and Gajim w/ OMEMO plugin on my computers. Multi-device chatting works flawlessly.

Sweet. Well done.

which server?

no good desktop client
no good group chats
no normal people would use this
dead

>no good desktop client
gajim, psi and pidgin for the desktop. conversations and xabber for android.
>no good group chats
>no normal people would use this
that's your opinion man
>dead
it's an open protocol, it can't die

I use patchcord.be

Calyx is a good one if all your friends use encryption (they probably can since only autists use jabber)

calyxinstitute.org/projects/public_jabber_xmpp_server

you're not restricted to OTR, OMEMO works just fine last time I checked

this website can help you pick a server
xmpp.net/

No calling
Nobody using it

Does it just werk? I only need to install the client and it werks?

1. register XMPP account on server provider (generally free)
2. install client
3. plug in account details
4. add niGGaZ to your contacts list
optional: enable encryption
5. chat

Never mind then

it's not any harder than using another instant messaging platform

You can register in the client

Use Matrix.

>>this website can help you pick a server
Does it matter what XMPP server we use if we want to connect to [email protected]?

no, just use any thats gratis

the problem with xmpp is that each client supports a different set of extensions. it's literally impossible to find a client that you like and that has the extensions you want.

>the problem with xmpp is that each client supports a different set of extensions.
aren't gajim and conversations the best for desktop and android because they support the most extensions?

but gajim is ugly as fuck and uses too much memory. pidgin would have been perfect for me if it supported MAN

>but gajim is ugly as fuck and uses too much memory.
it looks the same as pidgin and I don't see a difference in memory usage.

you're probably some gross neet who thinks every program should use like 10mb of ram for his shitty PC

poorfags cannot afford programs that use 1-2 gigs of ram just for showing few buttons

Sorry OP, I use XAMPP

Attached: 1519809521798.png (1600x900, 74K)

>1-2 gigs of ram
Imagine being so gay that you get upset over pic related.

Attached: gajim.png (626x28, 2K)

You are right. I should instead use use discord's electron app™ which at least looks nice, has users and more features (that actually work well). Thanks user for opening my eyed.

enjoy your botnet, gaymurtard

Pic related. I'm not even connected to a sever.

Attached: Untitled.png (481x42, 6K)

Enjoy your useless trash, freetard.

the biggest jabber server I ever joined as the server my alliance in EVE online ran. fucking thousands of people forced into my contact list lol.

>loonix ram management
kek

>doesn't like discord botnet or games
>uses windows
can one man be this delusional?

>he doubles his botnet with discord
kek

umm why not just use IRC?
too sane?

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-10-04 at 10.53.18.png (1222x689, 245K)

that's still XMPP.

Daily reminder that if your server doesn't get 100% on this test, it's shit.

compliance.conversations.im/

>they probably can since only autists use jabber
my mom uses jabber

no u

i miss kde4 memory management abilities

Attached: kde plasma on paras ja muistivuodot.jpg (751x314, 44K)

This public chat is pretty dead, guys.

Ugly chat

Daily reminder that I do not give a shit if you use filtered network.
Now go choke on a nigger's cock.

>still no voice calls on conversations
how am i supposed to shill it to normies over signal?

Who the fuck even uses voicecalls nowadays?

normal people

if no one is using it, it's effectively dead

>mfw all of you lose so hard
maybe it's not fully what is being added/improved upon yet but as it is it's pretty godly.

ring.cx/

gnu btw. look into how it works and understand why the lag you may encounter is nothing compared to the extra security. you're welcome.

Attached: ring.png (512x512, 54K)

I think I'll just install Signal

Ring is downright awful. Laggy, ugly, bloated, slow.

Gays and gaymers use Discord. Other normal people use Skype, Facebook or whatever other botnet comes with their phone. Pick your poison if you want to communicate with them. You're obviously not going to get them to install mostly sane software that uses the XMPP or Mumble protocols since those aren't owned and run by gazillionaire near-sovereign corporations that sell your dick pics to your government.

so i got ugly, and three synonyms for "laggy," which if you read up on how it works normie there's some awesome stuff going on.

please. what platforms have you tried it on? it only needs major work on windows (which is pretty buggy), haven't tried it on iOS.

Android and Windows. Terrible experience. It's like using pre-pre-Alpha software. It was literally worse than using Tox.

Im probably just bad, but I can't figure put how to get it working.

I have Zentyal server running, and it comes with jabber. I thought it was set up, but the client times out when connecting. Not sure what to do, or what logs to check. I coupdnt find things in the logs I did check.

I'd recommend using a standalone Prosody. I've never had a good experience with those large "just werks" groupware things.

*shrug* works fine on my redmi 5 plus, mac, and linux laptop. i'm very happy with what it offers. rip on it all you want you won't make me stop loving it.

You don't talk to anybody on Ring. Nobody could possibly be ok with using that.

i fucking use it all the time. go back to le reddit/dipshit/normie/newfag.

or you just tried it on a potato phone and windows.

funny thing, logical OR gates...

Is it schizo hour?

that made me chuckle, chucklefuck.

because now it's ad hominem? you're the mental case, hijo.

Attached: 1535692703391.png (431x450, 328K)

i slammed my chat server 17 lines into a sidewalk motherfucker full encryption and it works on linux 100%

XMPP is dead.
Matrix is the current such thing.

>Matrix is the current such thing.
slow protocol

Matrix is good for collaboration and despite being very Discord-like, it doesn't draw in the Discord trash. It is however not really what I'm looking for when it comes to simple conversation. I use it, IRC and XMPP for different purposes.

Matrix also feels very... open-source. Certainly not for everyone.

does this glow in the dark?

Attached: 1536796090447.png (447x352, 234K)

yes

My dick is glowing, should I go see a doctor?