*BSD vs. Linux

What is the biggest difference between these two? Is there really any benefit in using a Linux distro over one of the *BSDs, or vise versa?

Attached: bsdvslinux.jpg (900x506, 47K)

Other urls found in this thread:

man.openbsd.org/apply
man.openbsd.org/ctags
man.openbsd.org/yacc
man.openbsd.org/mg
man.openbsd.org/clang
twitter.com/AnonBabble

BSD is just a more complicated way to get the same toolchain as Linux. Might as well run Linux and have native support for hardware introduced in this decade.

Source? Never had a problem installing them and hardware support is 99.9% identical to loonix. Also they are put together a lot more coherently than any backyard linux distro.

One is a proper OS the other is an SJW cesspool.

BSD's are developped fully by a single team meaning a more consistent system
also no CoC except for FreeBSD

Attached: both_are_UNIX.gif (593x250, 1.48M)

this

I agree, when you could get banned for sending virtual hugs you know the SJWs won.

>What is the biggest difference between these two?
BSD is more 1337 except for Arch, Gentoo, Slackware and Void

Linux is a jungle
BSD is well organized, comes with the power of ports and kernel written in the Unix spirit
GNU is for autists ;)

>kernel written in the Unix spirit
monolithic programs are unix now? hail systemd

Mostly the license. The performance is identical. Sony for example uses FreeBSD on their playstations and make some changes to it, without having to share those changes with anyone. Making improvements to Linux requires you to publish them.

GNU/Linux werks.

Recommend me an OS to run on an old Vostro 1000 that's not Wangblows or Linux.

Attached: 1520371931277.jpg (1440x2560, 714K)

netBSD

Plan9

agree with this 100%

FreeBSD don't use systemd fag

Why would you run old Vostro?

Was my mothers PC until recently when I gave her my old laptop after getting myself a new one. Now I got it laying around, so I might as well do something with it.

The userland is far superior to the GNU userland, in most cases. And usually BSD systems come with more stuff, not including a DE, etc. Despite coming with more useful tools, BSD install discs often fit on a CD, while most GNU/Linux distributions require a DVD.
man.openbsd.org/apply
man.openbsd.org/ctags
man.openbsd.org/yacc
man.openbsd.org/mg
man.openbsd.org/clang
All these things, for example, come in OpenBSD's default install. With the man pages included, of course, unlike some GNU/Linux distributions.

The docs and code for freebsd makes Linux look like it was written by a caffienated monkey. If only sleep/hibernate was more stable.

>makes Linux look like it was written by a caffienated monkey

but that is good desu

I write my best code when I'm sleep deprived