How skilled are you in Assembly?

How skilled are you in Assembly?

Attached: beagle_bros_6502_reference.png (1081x1675, 244K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FZN6LjuEgdw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I know mips and some x86. Kind of a waste of time to know it though unless you need absolutely every cycle for some small function or some wierd system call your language doesn’t expose.

Relatively decent at x86 and x86-64, not great at 8086 or arm though
I do VR for a security company, so most of it is through Ida pro where I can use hexrays

I have fix some asm shit once in a while. Good enough for that, I guess.

Don't bother

Use it often for exploit dev so I'm fairly familiar.

I know x86 and IBM 370. Most of my x86 knowledge is meme shit however, like building a stack frame or doing stuff like

mov esi, [array1]
mov edi, [array2]
mov ecx, a_len
rep movsb

When it comes to doing actual programming I shit the bed with all the implicit register writes. Isn't EDX the only pure general purpose register? Fuck this ISA.

enough to crack gaymes back in the daay

I understand basic concept but never got into it so writing program would be pain in ass.

I play Shenzen I/O does that count?

>Kind of a waste of time to know it though unless you need absolutely every cycle for some small function or some wierd system call your language doesn’t expose.
This. The lowest language you would ever need these days is C unless you're working on a bootloader or other low level operating system components. Maybe for initialization or something. I'm not really sure how that's done on modern systems anymore.

>Use it often for exploit dev
Sure you do.

Only retro dudes are interested in it afaik. Why would you bother yourself to literally input every single thing in program by typing and typing. Like you needed to first draw all that stuff on paper with value charts, convert all that shit by fucking typing for hours and then program all that shit to move through addresses with limitations.

I know enough to write a Super Mario-esque demo for the NES and to read IDA decomps without too much difficulty.

I learned a bit of x86 assembly. I think the two most likely scenarios of usage are:

1) Understanding what the compiler outputted
2) Reverse engineering

Assembly isn't really any harder than an HLL.

>decent at x86
>not great at 8086
vanilla x86 is 8086 you retard

I've written drivers for custom hardware for x86 and m68k.
Used to teach kids a little 6502 assembler on PETs also.

Retard.

I used to be good at MIPS. Never learned x86 because at the end of the day it's a waste of my time.

8086 is x86
x86 is not i386 or i686

>This. The lowest language you would ever need these days is C unless you're working on a bootloader or other low level operating system components. Maybe for initialization or something. I'm not really sure how that's done on modern systems anymore.

Couldn't you in theory make single function programs that are even more effective than what you could ever do with a higher level language? I get a boner thinking about beautifully crafted programs that do simple tasks as efficiently as possible.

My wet dream is some wizard ala Terry making a divinely inspired regex engine in assembly.

How hard would it be to make a program that adds to numbers and displays the result with assembly? Serious question.

I had to complete a project in LC-3 assembly language for a computer architecture course, so I implemented conway's game of life. That's my only experience with it.

Attached: 1537794087594.gif (400x400, 252K)

>Couldn't you in theory make single function programs that are even more effective than what you could ever do with a higher level language?
not really
compilers will generate the optimal assembly code in 90% of real world cases

>compilers will generate the optimal assembly code in 90% of real world cases

Is this true?

It’s more like 99%

i wrote a forth in x86 that ran on the metal (technically in qemu). i even used the piece of shit BOUND instructions just because i could. it had dynamic arrays, function overloading, and overloaded string operators. assembly is god tier when you start using yasm macros and wrapping everything up like it was lisp. userland fags don't even know what they're missing.

sure, just remove "the" from the sentence

Im a master at RISC-V assembly

Okay retard. Watch this and get back to me on that.

youtube.com/watch?v=FZN6LjuEgdw

I know a fuck ton of C51 asm.

I know enough x86 to follow a disassembly. I've also used it to implement a proxy DLL system.

I'm decent, its enough for embedded these days as you can run C on basicly everything

I know x86 and simd extensions. I made a full JPEG encoder with debayering in AVX2. It's super fast (~7ms for 2000x2000px Image) and or was very fun to write.

>he doesnt believe that someone uses asm for exploit dev
today on the retards of Jow Forums *sip*

Attached: 1536581346236.jpg (400x400, 16K)

I can work with MIPS and some amd64, as I'm learning that at the moment.

Easy

push rbp
mov rbp, rsp
mov edx, [rbp-4]
mov eax, [rbp-8]
add eax, edx
pop rbp
ret

How can I learn on OS X, stack realignment gets me, also I have nasm. Only thin I can find is how to make hello world.
Reason I want to get into OS X security

It is true for mainstream compilers like gcc and clang, especially for a mainstream ISA like x86.

Self-taught in the late Eighties to crack Amiga games.
Been using it occasionaly on some projects.

>How skilled are you in Assembly?
I was skilled enough to do assembly programming for a living. Compilers then and also now are not anywhere close to a skilled assembly programmer, even though the spuds claim otherwise.

i just learnt how to overflow the stack

Attached: 20138696.jpg-r_512_288-f_jpg-q_x-xxyxx.jpg (210x288, 19K)