Tech job general

Didn’t get too much discussion the last thread, but the one before that hit 350+ replies.
Been working as a junior sysadmin in what was a one man job for a few months now. Holy fuck this is a shitshow
>still using fucking Novell (Groupwise and shit)
>every fucking account has local admin rights, machines get infected left and right
>boss doesn’t give a fuck
>dosent even reimage them(didn’t even have images for installation before I came, just used the factory default + Novell shit and office)
>machines bloated to hell, most on 2gb of RAM
>I do more than him yet make 1/10th of what he makes
>uniironically uses outdated shit citing security through obscurity
>unironically still has XP machines connected to the internet even after getting the network partially infected through them
Thinking of quitting this shit, give it to me straight lads. How JUST is my job? Did I mention I make $17 h/r in a high income area?
>”it’s for the experience user”
pic unrelated

Attached: F3A3BFE1-1975-4F55-87E0-960032242638.png (908x444, 80K)

>2gb of RAM
>2018

Anyone on Jow Forums a reverse engineer? I got an offer to do that but don't have much experience with it. Dunno if I should take it or not.

I'm on a similar boat at 15/hr
Fuck yourself

You obviously need to look for another job.
The last post didn't get a lot of hits cause no one wants to spoon-feed.

Not tech support but I have some common sense

>was at job orientation
>had to sit there for 15 minutes while HR lady fought with her mouse to get it to work
>just wanted to blurt out that an optical mouse is going to be shit on a glass table and to try putting it on her binder at least
>just sit there longer
>she said it must be dying
>it's a wired USB mouse

>got an email from a recruiter about a job fair for tech positions at their company
>would be during my working hours so I'd need to take the day off
I'm debating whether I should just call and ask for an interview at a different time since if I call off for work, I'll end up being reprimanded or lost my job. Plus I'd probably just end up sitting in some waiting room for hours anyway.

>spoonfeed
no i'm trying to start a discussion with my experience, feel free to add your own

Bump because I want to find out more about this.

Leave, let shit hit the fan and then they will try to hire you again

Its going to depend on what kind of stuff you'd be reverse engineering and how close it is to what you're familiar with

Just got a callback today about an interview for an entry-level .net position.

What can I expect?

what kind of company/organization is it?

Quotum. That's all I know

Well, it's .NET, so you're going to deal with a clusterfuck of spaghetti code and incompetent developers who can't operate outside of their unnecessary abstraction layer.

this, you're in for a clusterfuck

Yeah good question, I really have no idea what type of RE it will be... waiting for HR to get back to me with details. Malware analysis? Vulnerability research? I just hope it's something that let's me double my salary in a few years.

>Fresh out of college
>Have my first interview tomorrow for a junior software developer position
What kind of questions should I try to study up for? They say it'll focus more on general technical questions.

At home: pirate a copy of IDA Pro and compile a simple c program that prints "Hello world" to stdout. Use IDA Pro to analyze the executable and try your best to figure out what's going on. Whatever confusion ensues or things you don't understand about this process will point you in the direction of what you need to learn in order to reverse engineer software

Just get a good night's sleep.

What kind of a company is it?

I believe they specialize in "physical assent managers" for planes. They do a lot of work with the DoD, according to their website. The job posting mentioned C#, .Net, and Angular specifically

Thank you, user.

Practice your handshaking skills.

Thank you boomer senpai

It's a phone interview

>he doesn't know about the phone handshake
Never gonna make it kid.

>forced to use a Wyse terminal

Attached: horribletime.jpg (303x249, 26K)

I made a thread the other day that died pretty quick. I just started an internship at a financial media/tech startup. I make up the entirety of the IT department. Now like i said, we are a tech company, so some of the people have some knowledge of IT shit, but they're busy developing the product to do it. So im currently tasked with tearing through the storage area filled to the brim with electronic parts straight out of Jow Forums horro threads (anti-static bags? What are those?). Im also supposed to back up data from ex-employee computers, but we dont have any working hard drives. Apparently all the flash drives have been taken by various employees, so I had to purchase my own to be able to reinstall OS's. Theres no internal support ticket system. There arent any proper tools besides a couple of screwdrivers (thank god I have my own.) All the admin passwords to all the servers running our product are the same. And I was given the password spreadsheet (HOSTED IN GOOGLE DOCS) day 1. There isnt any way to tell who is on the network because none of the company computers are accounted for in any way. They seem like nice people, and I enjoy being able to play with computers all day (I spent monday installing gentoo on a laptop). But i cant help but feel like the company is one 'notavirus.exe' download away from crumbling in the wind. Am I overreacting? Or am i in for it?

>work in the real world for 7 years making bank
>always the only nig on the job
Why so rare Jow Forums

Attached: 0AC86046-E509-44BB-8BF2-259B6498FA4C.png (850x500, 206K)

OP here and I didn’t even mention it but I had the same shit at my job.
>all passwords the same or basically the same
>horribly disorganized
>no ticket system

We’re both pretty JUSTed my friend, $11 is minimum where I live so my wage might be worse in a way

My title is Software Tester except I do everything. $70k a year in Washington D.C. That's on the low side so I'll probably look for a new job in about a year. I've only been here for 6 months but every shit job is basically the same.

Government work?

Political campaign big data bull shit.

I'm a software engineer living in Richmond, VA but working for a west coast fintech startup. I make 100k/yr. We have a remote dev team here, but most engineers are over there. I enjoy it quite a bit. Ask me anything if you want.

why do you willingly live in one of the worst cities in virginia

Heh. The city has gentrified a lot and it's really hip now. We have a ton of breweries and great food all over the place. Everyone is really nice. Good mixture of historic and new architecture. It's also pretty cheap and there isn't much traffic. What's not to like?

That’s even worse, f user

Anybody else work for a company that doesn't have system administrators ? Basically all software and configurations are pushed downstream to us locally from a central authority. All the stuff we do is documented through tickets, change management, and standards. So you don't ever decide to do anything unilaterally and certainly never have to come up with any major changes yourself.

I am curious if this is becoming more common or if my company is just an outlier.

I'm not sure I understand. What exactly do you think a sysadmin does?

I dunno. With the way they talk I always assumed they did something challenging. The networking 101 class for my CS degree seems more challenging than what anyone even several pay grades above me does.

the fan was always pretty nice, i guess. you ever visit lickinghole creek? always wanted to go but i ended up quitting before i got the chance

sys admins do a little of everything

>needing a cs degree in the first place
Easier to be self taught and go from there.

Attached: BCB7A915-6030-4813-80A7-7BB5633397CA.png (625x773, 110K)

I install desktops and monitors for $15/hr while I’m in school. It’s so easy any retard could do it, and many do which makes for lots of annoying coworkers.

Nah. People only ever want to go to the veil or triple crossing. Scott's addition has gotten really nice in the past few years too.

I don't see what self taught has to do with anything. The biggest thing at my employer is having experience with corporate IT infrastructure which you would have no way of being experienced with unless you already worked corporate IT. Biggest thing holding me back is just lack of time employed doing x,y, and z even though its not challenging at all.

He didn't network

I guess I'm not really sure myself what they do. But I thought it was mostly keeping the servers running. They aren't really necessary anymore thanks to AWS.

Keep servers running. Hardware/software updates. Also if you work at a place dealing directly with other employees, get ready for "muh computer isn't working" which leads to most of your work. also talking and dealing with other support desks off site if you're working for a big company.

I'm in a bank middle office but I am not passionate about it. I have always been interested in programming and want to pick it up and transition to software engineer, but I am going to turn 28 next year. Is it too late for me?

Do you have any black devs?

You are correct. But in some ways I am glad I had to work my way from the bottom. Lots of my fellow workers have horrible work ethics and don't realize just how easy they have it and how much they overpaid.

I have experience with BSD, C++, and SQL (with a BS in digital forensics). What position should I apply for when I finish this last semester?

It's not too late. I know a guy who did it as a bartender at 32. Though, he became a front end dev which is an easier path that some look down upon. I'd consider doing that though.

Nope. They're rare even in Richmond which has a huge black population. They're all poor.

Anything and everything. Applying for jobs is a wild ride.

>do I seem halfway qualified for this position?
>if so, does it seem like the job listing is just a list of all of the technologies that team happens to be using?
>does the work seem interesting or fulfilling?
if it fits all of the above, apply

How does one get a job as a Cloud/"""DevOps""" engineer? I have a CS degree but no job yet since I decided i hate programming in everything Java/C#/C++. Would much prefer python/bash. I have above average Linux experience compared to my peers. Do I have to slave away as a sysadmin before I could get these positions?

What is even the position you're talking about?
You mean some fagtron who writes build scripts and shit for services?
That's Ops.

DevOps implies that the Developers are also doing Ops.
A DevOps engineer is a developer with a shitload of experience in Ops who can teach other developers how to also Ops.
Usually also have experience in agile methodology and other such buzzwords.

I saw a job posting for exactly what you are talking about a year ago. It was all pajeets and the posting seemed semi sketchy but that's probably just the pajeet wearing off. So entry level jobs like that exist, no clue how common they are.

Thanks

im mainly looking for a job where I can put my Linux skills to use. So far sysadmin seems like the only place to start, but Im not sure exactly what the rest of my career path would look like from there. Ive also considered getting AWS certified since that seems to be hottest meme at the moment but not sure if its worth it.

rule of thumb with certs is unless you see it on a job posting for a job you would actually want its not worth it.

If all you care about is python and bash, then go be a data monkey.
look up cognitive data science positions or whatever the fuck they call it.
Linux is primo for shared cluster environments, although OSX and Windows are also often used since people like running shit locally.

Fresh grad making 105k as a DevOps Engineer. Comfy.

Got hired out of highschool at my school district as a part time computer technician. 12/hr not bad for a 18 year old. Only got hired due to my A+ and Net+ certs i got before graduating. Could be worse.

user you should random-ware your place of work

I code in all proprietary frameworks and basically no open source code.

Average IQ is 85. You're probably in the 90th percentile for nigs.

>Tfw well paying comfy job at big 4 tech company straight out of college.
Feels good man

Actually most startups are like that. Place I worked had horrible security practices, employees with way too much access to everything etc. They're built on trust, so once they hit the point where they need to scale it's an inverted pyramid. You're right to be scared, because it could tip at any point, but as long as it's still sub 30 people ish you're probably fine on the trust factor

Hopefully you don't get pigeonholed into some meme tech stack too early, then spend the next 10 years of your life trying to get out of it.

Gonna start as an automotive mechanic at a tire shop tomorrow guys. Don’t even know my pay yet, but minimum wage her is $8.25/hr.
Thoughts?

>mfw i'm a new cobol developer

Attached: d3e3a246c8c3f7b6fc0013cf0d33af85c18a339a_hq.gif (320x320, 253K)

I asked this in the stupid questions thread but anyway is it OK to apply for an internship that's for a different time period than when I'm available and later mention how I want to work for a different time?

Not really worried about that with my current role.

Attached: IT Support.jpg (2040x8832, 2.8M)

Service desk operator here for govt.
Answer probably half a dozen calls daily, but get to do some sys-adminy type of stuff too. NW maint and troubleshooting, machine builds, etc.
80K AUD

I make 17$ to tell old grandmas to reboot their cable box lmao

>fintech
What kind of blockchain shit are you getting into? Jow Forumslet here

Also, I’m in talks with a recruiter for a jr blockchain dev position at a pretty big bank. Basically it’s on their “innovation team” which is just a bunch of autists researching cool new shit and seeing if they can implement it usefully, in hopes of it reaching the company’s mobile apps or other infrastructure.

My degree was in Electrical Engineering (and Biometrics dual) but I have plenty of java experience, plus Python & C, etc but they listed Javascript, specifically node, as “must-have”.

I took the recruiter’s remote Node skills test and placed in the 11th percentile LOOOOOOOL

But fuck you because I can tell I’m the only person they’ve probably found so far with as much crypto meme coin experience as me, so I’m actually kind of optimistic. I’m counting on this job too because I’ve had 0 success finding other software shit, which is what I want to do regardless of cryptoshit. Am I gonna make it brehs?

Attached: 1504577061279.png (233x261, 75K)

It's probably loans or money transfer of some sort

>junior position
> pretty big bank
enjoy working until midnight and on the weekend

What do yall think about Scrum?

+40hr/wk = comfy
≤ 40hrs/wk = leave or get promoted by graduation

Outdated image.
USB 3.0+ supports interrupts.

Games Technician:Dave&Busters = 20% tech work/ 90% cleaning
Place wants me on for +$16/+40hr, same work but waaay less cleaning barlife shit and more real fixing and diagnosing games older/similar to D&B. +30min drive everyday, then driving to diff locations cross state. 24yo, been building comps and testing shit since diapers. CRTs and management are my next challenges. Workin on emmbedded work with C/Python an Unity3d in (spare time). I'm scared but I think Im gonna make it if i get up to +$13/28hr/wk at D&B. Thoughts?

Attached: Screenshot_69.png (1920x1090, 3.42M)

110% bullshit most days.

On my way to become an Android developer, have knowledge of Python too.

Had the brightest idea of taking a COBOL course during summer and here i am, working in a bank while COBOL crushes my soul little by little, looking forward to jump to something different.

In short, evade COBOL as a plague, don't do It.