Use a CRT

use a CRT

Attached: 1538449132046.jpg (5081x3395, 3.96M)

no

Fuck u mine is broken.

>use obsolete technology

>use redditrt
no thanks

I wanted to, haven't found one working where I left it.

>Obsolete
In what way?
Your loss new friend

Based

*Touches it with magnet*

*degausses you*

I'd rather play Diablo 2 LOD on a CRT than my 4k ips screen.
-boomer who got nostalgic out of nowhere.

Upgrade to grim dawn

I got two old CRT TVs - one that I got from the dump and the other I found in the basement of my group home. I plan on hooking them up to my Thinkpad for a nice retro look. This requires a few extra components though - like a VGA-to-RCA converter (it's important to get a converter and not just an adapter here; I already made this mistake), an appropriate remote for setting the TV's input mode (or equivalent Android app), and make sure your video card has TV Out functionality (I've already verified this with my Intel HD video adapter). Currently I'm waiting for the converter I ordered from Amazon, along with an IR blaster to use with my Android tablet, since it's one of those mobile devices that doesn't have an IR blaster built in.

Attached: DSCN2537.jpg (1200x900, 363K)

Give 3 things that a CRT does better than modern LCD monitors.

color
latency
memes

You don't have to look at it head-on to see what's on the screen. That's one thing.

>hummms
>heat your room
>give cancer

Not him but I’ve actually done this, it’s not the same but it’s as close as it gets

This, and multiple resolutions that look nice.

ew

Can attest to this, Grim Dawn will satisfy that hunger if you want something that is more up-to-date

thank you, i dont need cancer from radiation

because it's not like the sun also gives you cancer

Where can you even get a good CRT monitor anymore? Thanks to le retro gaymer faggots the prices have skyrocketed on eBay and craigslist.

just being outside for not too long doesnt give you cancer. maybe if you actually left your moms basement for once you would know

>Doesn't like adjust viewing angles
pleb

attics, recycling centers, etc
I got my old Trinitron CPD-100sf and a couple no name tubes for free from my local recycling center. as long as you aren't living in a densely populated area where hipsters don't reign it's fairly easy to get old hardware like this

Now what?

Attached: IMG_0002pentium3newbuild (1).jpg (1000x750, 823K)

>that Voodoo 2 background
Based

>color

Nope, an OLED HDR panel does it better

>latency

Lower latency on a 240hz LCD than any CRT.

What else would you put as a wallpaper on a Voodoo 2 SLI rig?

Attached: IMG_0001pentium3newbuild (2).jpg (750x1000, 758K)

What fucking century are you living in?

and neither does periodically using a CRT monitor. Sure, it does let off a small amount of electromagnetic radiation, but about 95% of radiation coming out of these comes from the back of the unit, rather than the front, it's quite harmless using one really. I doubt about tubes older than the mid 80's are very safe due to lead in them but there's good reason technology has rapidly improved over the years, because companies make these safer to use and decreasing the amount of radiation from them. Of course, maybe if you didn't listen to scare tactics and marketing lingo from the early days of LCD computer displays pointing finger at CRTs as if they're nuclear hazards, or maybe if you actually decide to do you own research on the very topic, you would know.

Retards.

Attached: SC_Radiation-Dose-Chart_TP_1.jpg (590x394, 113K)

CRTs are great but I live in a rented room with very little space. In NZ where I live it is also difficult to attain a decent sized one with a good refresh rate at the native res.

LCDlets coping as usual

Attached: 1538542726818.png (372x351, 117K)

So it's true that it gives you radiation, enjoy your cancer CRTfags.

Nobody claimed it didn't, just that so can going outside.
Basement dwellers most likely even get more radiation than normal people.

reminder that we are naturally exposed to radiation on a daily basis
per year on average people are exposed to 2-3 mSv of radiation, a 1 µSv difference is a miniscule difference really.

muh Sun
not an argument

>tfw I got a dental x-ray recently
>tfw I've now basically been a crtfag for 5 years

not one of these posts even once mentions the sun

>OLED HDR panel
IN SHOPS THEY CHANGE DEMONCTRATION PANELS EVERY 3 MOUNTS

>muh Sun
>not an argument
No dummy, the ground. There is no Sun in a basement.

This is plain wrong

t. xray tech

>mfw moving to Colorado next year

[Citation needed]

Where's the 3 hour high altitude plane flight?

Are people actually scared of CRTs because radiation? Your WiFi router and mobile cell tower has made you sterile already, so don't worry.

Attached: Radiation_Dose_Chart_by_Xkcd.png (1134x1333, 90K)

I own a buttload of CRTs.
Funny thing is even if I turned them all on and lived next to them till I'd die, they still wouldn't even produce a fraction of radiation that would affect me than all the radiation I've already gotten in my life from head/chest X-Ray and CT scans.

>xkcd
Opinion discarded

Look at that garbage paladin using might aura.

My citations are my own

Or a handful of short plane flights

Who cares who draws it, do you discard pie charts from research institutes if they use Excel?

>WiFi router and mobile cell tower
That's non-ionizing radiation which is harmless. CRTs give you x-rays that can actually cause cancer.

r/woosh

Attached: 1523107615835.png (842x792, 82K)

I still have an old 20in Sylvania flat tube crt around here. If I could I'd love to use it in a kind of retro gaming setup. Flat tube might not have been HD but they did improve the picture of CRTs from the standard.

This isnt me
Google results page

Attached: f69fc5d3499337248e8930d471efc0d4.png (631x153, 77K)

>found in the basement of my group home
>group home
Literal boomer alert

>use a CRT
>not the Sony GDM-FW900
Why?

Attached: untitled.png (740x555, 163K)

muh beige housing

But I already do, and a high-end one is coming next week

Now quiet down or else everybody's going to buy all of them, it was already hard to find a good deal on ebay.

>inb4 I got my crt for free
There's absolutely nothing on craigslist or local

Attached: 20180930_223857.jpg (3264x1836, 1.54M)

Attached: 1531376152399.jpg (819x1280, 94K)

I use a modern GPU so I don't have VGA anymore.
I just use my old CRTs for 31Khz arcade boards now.

Meme CRT. Not as good as a 4:3 one. Not much content that would make sense with it either. Might as well use a high end IPS or VA panel at this point.

>Now quiet down or else everybody's going to buy all of them, it was already hard to find a good deal on ebay.
I already have like 30 and a third of them being high-high end.

>>obsolete
>In what way?
Are you actually fucking autistic?

I honestly don't see the problem with being obsolete. If you're unable to appreciate historic technology, then I hate to break it to you, but you're more normie than geek.

I would if I could find any locally/for cheap

Attached: yot cry.png (479x558, 220K)

That's not the point, the point was that you were implying it wasn't obsolete.

I'm not him. I just thought I'd insert my own input into the discussion.

ok

Attached: 1525425420337.jpg (1000x750, 588K)

Dude, I like to play some games from my childhood that look like absolute dogshit on anything but a CRT. So they are no way obsolete for me as long as I have a use for them.

But I already have six of them just in my room, and about four or five more in the workshop. Why wouldn't I use them?

Attached: IMG_20181004_022500.jpg (2560x1920, 2.64M)

I've got an old CRT from the late 80s that needs repairs; seems that some tubes nside are busted. It's a ViewSonic model that's so obscure it isn't showing up anywhere online. Where do I find replacment parts?

if the neck is broken, it lost vacuum and is unrepairable

I would be wary about repairing a CRT. They tend to have large capacitors that can remain charged for years after being turned off, and you can get electrocuted unless you really know what you're doing.

Haven't opened her up yet, but that's a distinct possibility. It could be an electronic issue, as before the machine failed completely it was flickering to the point of being borderline unusable.
I've already got that accounted for, and have the tools needed to discharge them with minimal hazard. But this thing is an anomaly because there's absolutely no info on it, anywhere.

If you're getting HV, it could just be caps. If it's completely dead, no HV whine and no neck glow, it might be the flyback.

Monitor is completely dead, what sounds like sparks flying when plugged in.

Really want to have a crt agian

>Lower latency on a 240hz LCD than any CRT
Nigger what

I'll use one when I find one but your taste in gaymen is shit

Attached: juif2.gif (319x343, 20K)

How far we've fallen.

>used a 40" 4K monitor for years
>go back to a dinky (and THICC) 4:3 screen
I'd rather be dead.

16:9 is gay

good ones are fucking expensive now thanks to all the other nostalgia fags

>sleeping next to someone (0.05 uSv)
I'm safe!

How???

My only computer that has VGA output is my Libretto

warriv is a bitch

Already do.

I work at an electronics recycler
>they have a sign on the back door reading, "we do not accept CRT monitors" with pictures of tubes
there is another sign underneath that says, "Come into the storefront and ask for user, he will look at your CRT and decide if he wants to take it for free"

I would if they weren't impossible to fucking find. I got rid of all mine years ago when I moved out of my parents because they are so heavy. now living in a new town I cannot find any. I guess everyone just threw theirs into the garbage. its even hard to find CRT tv's The only one I still have I found out at the road of my neighbors house. whenever I have made a post in my local craigslist etc asking if anyone has any they want to get rid of I get emails telling me I am a faggot hipster.

Anyone pining for CRTs is either a dumbfuck, too young to have used them in their heyday, or both.
>heavy as fuck
>gigantic, yet the screen is small
>consumes tons of power
>throws off tons of heat
>having to fuck around with controls to get the image centered and level
Oh yeah man, sign me up. CRTs forever.

>Depth.
>Color.
>Viewing angles.
>Response time.
>Resolution OC.
>Refresh rate OC.
>Heavy for manly man, not meant for woman or weaklings.
The truth hurts the weak for they have adopted the axiom of consumerism and cannot exit without it.

my local "e-waste" shop wants $80+ for all of the CRTs that they get for free.

I used CRTs growing up and now I want another one now that I have my old machine back up and running.
>MUH NOSTALGIA

Misplaced nostalgia. They sucked in comparison to what they were replaced with.