/spg/ - Smartphone General

LG V40 ThinQ Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: lg-v40.jpg (800x600, 92K)

Other urls found in this thread:

androidpolice.com/2018/10/03/v40-lgs-answer-galaxy-note-9-used-week/
beebom.com/how-disable-ads-miui-apps/
theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/9/13/17854350/moto-z-keyboard-mod-canceled-indiegogo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

So does anyone know if the halo gray essential phone is gonna come down in price. Currently in stock Oct 12 for $499.99. Before it was out of stock last week, it was $309.

>3 cameras
For what purpose

Huawei P20 Pro
Worth it?

It's the next smartphone meme. Wonder what will come after. Only wireless charging maybe?

One regular lens, one wide angle lens, one telephoto lens

Improve bobs and vagene pics

>have a rooted Samsung Galaxy S7 AT&T on Nougat 7.0 (G930AUCS4BRA1)
>trying to find stock firmware for the phone with a home_CSC file so I can unroot my phone without losing my data
>the only stock firmwares I've been able to find for my phone have the regular CSC that will wipe my data
>tried to search for my phone on samfirm
>nothing showed up
So what now?
Should I just move my files on the internal storage to my use the regular CSC?

Just wait for tomorrow, Nokia is revealing new chinkshit and if rumors are correct Nokia 9 is gonna have penta cameras

*to my sd card and use the regular csc

>3 cameras
But does it have a notification LED?

Hi /spg/, I just bought a Galaxy S9 as an upgrade from my old S6. I'm mostly enjoying it, but as a ricefag I hate the inconsistency of the notification bar at the bottom. I know I can hide it, but if I want to use the back or recents features, I have to swipe up and recall the bar. Is there a way I can map the functionality through gestures? I'd like to swipe in from the edge of the screen for back and up from the bottom for recents (home is always hard press at the bottom).

Also, there's a lot of advice out there for preserving battery health long-term. Should I charge my phone all the time and let the machine regulate how and when the battery is charged? Should I only charge when battery is low? Should I charge small amounts throughout the day?

Thanks

LG v10 was the only good V phone. Actually thick and durable. Stainless steel sides and a 3M rubber grip backplate. The V20 claims to have some kind of military grade aluminum or some shit yet it bends super easily and if you drop it the backplate pops off really easily. As for the rest, they're shit and the US models removed the quality DAC inside which is what I cared for the most.

The bootloop was my favorite part of that phone. Nice surprise.

As long as you don't let it go below 10% there's no need to worry. Yes keeping it between 30 and 80% and charging in small bursts is the way to keep the battery healthy the longest, but it's not worth it being a slave to your phone when the benefits are so minimal.

Oneplus 6 or Pocophone F1? 6 or 8 gigs of RAM? Will I really notice the difference for the two extra gigs of RAM?

>user doesn't understand how physics work the post.

Is the LG V20 still worth it? The idea of replaceable batteries and slapping a case with a fuckhuge battery in it sounds tempting but the SOC is a bit outdated.

explain his dominance over the youtube tech scene

Attached: 2018-10-03_19-42-04.png (786x1294, 695K)

Whom?

marques brownlee. look at the views and the time added. all 2 hours ago yet he has 4x the views of second place (dave lee), and many times that of everyone else.

quite literally

>technig
probably because
>he's black
this is for blacks and wiggers
>so well spoken
this is for your average normie whitey
>breaks down shit even an idiot could understand
>gets paid by OEMs on top of his youtube earnings
he was even mentioned in fucking commercials for fuck's sake

LG V40 ThinQ and LG Watch W7 officially announced: what you need to know

androidpolice.com/2018/10/03/v40-lgs-answer-galaxy-note-9-used-week/

thots?

Attached: DSC00341.jpg (2000x1333, 334K)

affirmative action

Only thing I care about is this pushing the V30 prices down even further. Any lower and it'll be the same price as an Exynos GS7, a phone about 1.5 years older than the LG.

Do you guys use the screen resize for one hand? I just discovered this and feel like a tool for not knowing about it before.

don't need it on Moto G5+, old phone was 5.5" and still wouldn't use it

I wish I had a gf. Also I want a smartphone.

If you're getting it for the camera, wait until the Nokia 9 comes along. The P20 Pro has Pureview-like supersampling tech and a big sensor, but Huawei tends to overprocess the shit out of everything. Hopefully not-Nokia will do a better job. Maybe it'll even have a Xenon flash. Also, the Mate 20 Pro is right around the corner.

What case/ screen protector would you recommend for a note 9 and also what for an s7?

What ir remote app for redmeme note 5?

alright lads, everyone on Android Pie post your app usage

Attached: Screenshot_20181003-231218~01.png (1080x773, 76K)

The case that comes with the international note 9 is great. Slim but a dense rubber that doesn't make it a hassle to slide in and out of your pocket.

Ive been using the xperia xa2 plus for a couple of weeks now. I have to say sonys done a damn fine job with the software and hardware. Better than my old g5 plus. Only issue is a distinct lack of accessories. Nillkin has the cases but no glass screen protector. I had to import one from the UK so I have to wait for snail mail. Hopefully the device gets added to the open source program before the end of the year.

Should I buy a 2017 LG watch?
Price isn't too high right now and I'm kinda interested.

Mi remote

Does it chink my data?

Is it actually beneficial to use a plastic screen protector on a phone with IP certified glass? The plastic protector gets scratched by lots of things the glass wouldn't and ends up looking ugly. And if something was sharp enough to scratch the glass of the phone, wouldn't it just tear right through the plastic protector?

plastic protectors are helpful against microabrasions rather than outright scratches

>everyone on Android Pie

it's only for Pixel users

get an iphone, take a good portrait picture, post on tinder. all your problems are now solved

Are you a pajeet? Poco F1. If not I would wait for the OnePlus 6t in like a week. The savings on the Poco don't seem worth it to me given the lack of NFC, LED screen, and xiaomi ads. But to answer your question 6/8GB has zero difference

young, decent looking guy
doesn't look like a nerd
black and so r*ddit loves him

You can disable all Xiaomi ads beebom.com/how-disable-ads-miui-apps/

he wants a gf, not a thot

This actually makes sense.

LG is one of the manufacturers who actually uses multi lens setups for sensible purposes; the portrait fake bokeh is lame, but having several focal lengths in one phone is quite cool if you're snapping pictures all the time. Basically optical zoom.

6t won't have a headphone jack though. So just buy the 6 if that is important to you. Or the pocophone for a little savings if you don't need that NFC or OLED.

Stop with this bullshit. Xiaomi has outright said the only way they can make their phones cheap is if they offer microservices on the side. I'm not buying a phone where I'm the product, sorry, I'm just not. Xiaomi will eventually enforce ads, and go ahead and flash a shitty ROM on your Poco F1, but honestly $200 really isn't that much money.

Yeah, was waiting for the 6t but it's just not a good fit. Want the headphone jack. If it had wireless charging, maybe would've compromised. Also never use nfc. Thanks for the RAM answer.

And thankfully, not a pajeet .

>Country
US
>Carrier
Any you recommend
>features
1080p, 4gb ram and decentish camera?
>budget
$200
>Size
Any.

this is a flat out lie
Xiaomi makes money on the margin on their phones, that's what tgeir CEO has said multiple times, including earnings calls. Xiaomi makes more money off their other products, but they make money on their phones because they move MASSIVE amounts of units, both of these reasons are why they can afford to sell their phones at the price levels they do. It's not microservices you utter pillock, and if you're not gonna buy a phone where you're the product then guess what, you're not buying a smartphone because every fucking Android handset makes (You) the product, same thing with Apple but their complete shitbags for making their blind faggot followers pay the exorbitant prices they do for their devices then charge for their cloud, iTunes, and on top of all that, sell your fucking data.

Does nokia allow unlocking the bootloader on their phones yet?

only on the Nokia 8 from last year so far...
>inb4 Just Wait™
>Any you recommend
any pre-paid GSM MVNO where you get good service from who they buy the data, sms and minutes from
>features
>for that price
you're gonna have to go higher than $200 if you want 4GB RAM and a decent camera

Lame. Their lowend models look very interesting, but not being able to root them is a showstopper for me.

lol no

Mi 6 pro or 6x?
Or is there a better phone around the same price point?
Don't mind to much about specs desu as long as it's like 4gb+ ram, but I definitely want a screen bigger than 5.5".

Got a galaxy s6, and my camera quality is fucking ASS. It didn't use to be like this, but now everything's a blurry mess. There's barely any settings to tinker with either. Wat do?

Mi Max 2

maybe the actual, physical camera got scratched or someting
install gcam and report back with results

Is there any way to actually disable a notch on android by pushing down the notification bar and having the phone act like that part of the screen just doesn't exist?

LG V30+ owner here.
LG got it right with the G6 first and the V30 later, and then they notched the fuck out of its great design. They could have refined and improved the V30 because let me tell you it's not perfect, although it's pretty close, instead they followed the applel meme.

>dont want to buy overpriced samsung or apple phone
>want good quality camera but dont want to be the 'camera guy' with his expensive canon dangling loosely around his neck
Whats the cheapest phone with the bestest camera?

Attached: 1537488715022.jpg (540x540, 49K)

you mean linus shill tips? that fucker shows up in results and recommendations on shit that have nothing to do with what I'm watching and searching.

That's the route I went. $200 for the phone and $55 for the battery both shipped tax free. The smaller OEM is great as an emergency backup, but the 10000mah tripcell from Zerolemon is WONDERFUL.

Keep in mind that this is no small phone at this point. You'll need deep pockets carry this bad boy.

>IP certified glass

OG Pixel / Pixel XL. Around $300 new, ~$150 used.

Does the ATT model of the Z2 Force have an unlockable bootloader? Moro's price cut seems too good to be true.

Can't be unlocked afaik

best phone for an audiophile?

One of the LG phones with a Quad DAC

are you referring to the v30?

LG V20, G6 (only certain versions), V30, G7, V35 and V40 all have the quad DAC afaik.

I'll double check but thanks
also, are third-party physical keyboard attachments a thing for smartphones?
would be comfy having a audio playing + email sending + gps mobile beast

Physical keyboard attachments aren't really a thing (other than the cancelled Moto Z keyboard), but any standard Bluetooth keyboard will be compatible with Android.

Was the keyboard mod cancelled?
You should look into the Samsung physical keyboard case

Yeah, it got cancelled:
theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/9/13/17854350/moto-z-keyboard-mod-canceled-indiegogo

i dont like how it looks

After recently acquiring a Galaxy Note 4, being utterly disappointed in it, and reading how the whole Note series is a mess from 4 to 7, I've started to feel distrust for Samsung as a phone company. Their phones always have some bullshit defect that kills the unit after a while. And thays not mentioning how they try to fuck their phones with pointless updates that erode the battery. I no longer want to be caught in such shit.
What's another phone company worth of being trusted? Not an Applefag, so no Apple.

Attached: 1535402539731.jpg (327x301, 14K)

>buy 4 year old, outdated, shit-by-today's-specs phone
>"these damn chinks and their forced software based obsolescence"

flash a custom rom, have fun

Will a good phone ever be made again?

Pocophone

Samsungs are only overpriced at release

S9 can be had for 529€ in my country.
That's a perfectly reasonable price for the hardware.

Mid tier phones are already good:
>midrange processors are already perfectly able to perform well enough to carry everyday tasks without a hitch
>since the "premium feel" has to be reserved to flagships, they have a plastic back and/or chassis, which is a huge plus durability wise
>since they can't boast any flagship specs, producers focus on utilitarian features like battery capacity and power efficient CPU
>since the latest newest hot trend in design (i.e. the latest iPhone design) is prerogative of the fashion statement embodied in flagships, midrange phones are actually free of all the nonsense that Apple does every time

>IP certified glass

i always hated plastic screen protectors because they feel shitty, maybe that's changed by now. I just order 5 glass ones from china for two bucks and swap them once they break up to badly.

shit doesn't need to be sharp to scratch your display glass, just hard. Sand can contain corundum and shit which will be more than hard enough to scratch your display, but it won't go through a plastic screen protector (simply because it won't scratch it deep enough in most situations)

is the essential phone worth? I've seen many people reselling it used right after being bought. to me looks like a good phone but if i recall correctly if something breaks you throw it because replacing anything is a pain

I wanted to upgrade my ancient brick to a good phone and I like the Oneplus 5T. However the maximum storage is 128GB and it's not expandable. Any alternatives to this phone that have expandable storage? Also any phones with good music player software? I like apple's music interface but hate everything else.

>Also any phones with good music player software?
just install one you like? There are more than enough to choose frome. I use poweramp.

the 5T is old. What do you want to spend and what country/carrier do you use?

So, what's the consensus on MIUI 10? Yay or nay?

3/32 ZenFone Max Pro M1 or 3/32 Redmi Note 5? They appear to be literally the exact same phone, but one has a better battery and costs 12 bucks more in my region.

Zenfone max pro

Huawei mate 20 pro vs huawei mate 20 vs oneplus 6t vs honor magic 2 vs xiaomi mix 3

Attached: IMG-81a196c6e93bd6c22f0bacdf14dfb8fc-V.jpg (656x903, 91K)

And this is where one of the last remaining IR blaster (all 10 cents worth of tech) goes to die.

Agreed. And the G6 is one of the GOATs. Almost perfect, almost weightless, but again... Could the pennies worth of IR really not stay in the G and V families? A waterproof v20 or keeping IR in the G6 would have been perfect phones.

Although my v10 survived a tub submerge, despite no IP rating.

Also, fuck you LG for putting yourselves on the fucking notch boat.

anyone here actually bought pocophone? whats up with the latency issues? i type fast and a lot, should i avoid this phone

suck my pocodong you fucking chink shills

Plus the two on the front

if you're talking about the one on eBay, yes because it is onoy the AT&T/T-Mo model because of the bands it picks up, it doesn't have the carrier bloat or the locked bootloader as if you purchased it from an AT&T store

Max Pro
yes, it is
>$200 budget
>wants non-shit phone bigger than 5.5"
beggars can't be choosers dipshit

Image buying a phone named pocophone LMAO