What is the best synthesizer?

What is the best synthesizer?

Attached: B47DEAB7-20A5-43C0-8A48-4881F021CE87.jpg (750x408, 56K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mdt0SOqPJcg
youtube.com/watch?v=cnsq9XtpmEk
caulixtla.com/JP-08/one-true-synth.html
youtube.com/watch?v=-tTE-O5JVuU
youtube.com/watch?v=eNEXj706ccc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Depends on your needs, but if I had to pick one I'd likely go with an Alesis A6-Andromeda.

hows the minilogue/monologue?

youtube.com/watch?v=mdt0SOqPJcg

Is the OP-1 overrated? I don't make music much but when I do I'd like to have something tactile that I can actually play.

A $20 laptop with Yamaha opl3 FM synthesiser

Attached: tecra8000series.gif (250x252, 20K)

gentoo

MIDI KEYBOARD + ANDROID PHONE + BLUETHOTH SPEEKER

The Minilogue is excellent. It's analog with digital controls so it's very easy to customize, and it sounds really nice. The only thing to get used to is if you switch patches, none of the controls will change, so your knobs and levers won't reflect what the settings actually are, but that's a minor gripe

For softsynths, U-He Diva is the best polyphonic synth I've ever heard. It's ridiculously CPU hungry, though.

>For Retards
Anything from Moog

>For Real
Probably a Dave Smith

>For Fun
OP1

>For Cheap
Minilogue

>For Mono
Bass Station 2

>For VST
Omnisphere 2

The minilogue is great, but really benefits from external effects. Sounds thin, so a stereo reverb is a night and day improvement. Turning up filter resonance really suppresses the bass end, so add in some compression and eq to compensate. And so on

What's wrong with Moog nigger?

Not him, but they're overpriced because of the Moog name. They're good machines, just the Apple of synths.

also to add one, a good reverb + delay will make any cheap piece of shit synth sound significantly better than it actually is. If you invest in a Strymon Big Sky you will never need another effect for your synths

Any synth in the hands of a master programmer. Doesnt matter if its a giant modular rack, a dx7, or a VSTi.

JP-8000

Attached: jp-8000.jpg (1600x652, 138K)

A video synthesizer.

Attached: image.png (1000x1000, 869K)

ableton wavetable :^)

Just like Apple, Moog was the first to do it right.

If you don't know anything about synthesis, i'd recommend getting yourself a copy of NI Massive, its a great sound design synth that lays out the basics in an easy drag/drop approach. Don't pickup an analog until you've trained your ears, which will take a while, and for the love of god, don't use your eyes, poke em out, Jow Forums.

Attached: start.png (107x30, 4K)

Don't use presents, program everything yourself.

Some synths are just a pain in the ass to program, though. Like the Korg DW-8000 or the Casio CZ series

Korg Triton if you aren't trying to be a hipster or some Emmerson Lake and Palmer reject.

JP-08 IS the best synth

But all my favorite elp rejects use korg triton.
Derek sherinian used one for dream theaters album falling into infinity and he has like 24 keyboard solos on it.

Patel

Attached: 6953130E-E52C-4574-B2B2-FEB726897A3C.jpg (626x438, 36K)

modular

Attached: IMG_20180212_203548.jpg (936x1248, 359K)

I love my monologue. It's my first synth, so I don't know anything, but i find it very fun to play with.

KORG M1 of course

How much would that rig cost? Just got my first job and really don't any more expensive hobbies.

About 9k€

Super fun to play with and now I wish I had gotten the minilogue when it came out because they jacked the fucking prices up hugely once it became popular.

Went from like 400 bucks to 520 bucks.

youtube.com/watch?v=cnsq9XtpmEk

>Omnisphere 2
Based and red pilled

Access Virus

I had a Roland Alpha Juno-1 a few years ago. Editing is all done on a small LCD with a rotary encoder, and was a pain in the ass, but man did it ever sound good. Really unique too compared to the other Roland synths, especially the filter. Wish I never sold it.

I got into Eurorack about 6 years ago now. I still love mine, but man you have to have the right personality to not tank your productivity. I've made way less music since I got one. There's a tendency to noodle with a patch forever, and it's difficult to just commit and get something recorded.

It's also a crappy option if you want polyphony.

>*crack*
>*sip*
>Access Virus...now THAT was a synth!

Attached: 1532986237979.png (680x487, 281K)

caulixtla.com/JP-08/one-true-synth.html

I've got a Roland FA-06 and I like it. The cons are the theramin thing is useless, the sampling pad is useless for me but other complaints are that they're not touch sensitive or w/e and although the synth sounds are 10/10 it's not the best for orchestral stuff

Attached: fa-06_top_gal.jpg (1680x497, 136K)

>Roland FA-06
You could have a got a prophet for that price, what a fuck up

What are you talking about it was £700, on ebay a Prophet 5 is £6000

The one you build yourself

Harmor

Obviously not the 5 dumbass

They're overpriced, but they're all hand made in North Carolina, so take that how you want.

They're still the best for their huge modular units, which start at $15,000, and their filter is iconic.

Holy kek this guy can't be serious

Moog all sound like shit

OPL is great, I use JuceOPLVST nowadays.

Also blofeld, Nord modular g1, monologue and nanozwerg

Hello, maybe you guys can help me. I am looking for a synth/piano with which i can record a melody and put that melody on loop so i can add another melody over it and put it on loop too. But it has to record and loop like 5-10 different tracks. tl/dr i wanna make music with only looped piano sounds and without a loop station/music programm/any other hardware.

The Minilogue is great for a midrange starter polysynth, but if you're just getting into it you could go for the Monologue, same synth engine with two oscillators but just with a single voice.
Cool thing is the Monologue can also be powered by batteries, it has microtuning support for weird custom scales, and has presets from Aphex Twin.

There's a lot of cheap DSP based synths going around these days, which sound pretty good, but I prefer analogue gear. There's definitely a certain richness and quality to the sound compared to the DSP based simulations.

You can easily buy Moog circuits in other formats. If I was paying 15k for a fucking synth, I'd get a Buchla.

There's a bunch of music workstations that kind of work like that, Elektron make some really good analogue stuff, but they're pricey.

The Novation Circuit is a decent DSP based groovebox, and it's pretty cheap.

>If I was paying 15k for a fucking synth, I'd get a Buchla.

Totally different synth philosophy in a Buchla though, it's the West Coast vs the East Coast thing.

>>Moog all sound like shit

What's it like to be monumentally wrong?

Thanks dude. Is there anything like a stage piano with loops? i definitly need a claviature.

Those kinds of things usually have some kind of sampled Piano sounds built in. Not sure about the Novation.

idk about 'best' but my dx7 is my favorite
pairing it with maschine for sequencing and performance is pretty gr8

whatever young thug uses

Digital FM has been ruining the reputation of synths since the 80s, and the DX7 is the main culprit.
Cool you've got a real one but they're still awful.

it's not getting any less iconic, i promise you it will only increase in price. buy op-1 like 2014 bitcoins my friend.
>tactile
this is where it wins you over, keys/buttons/knobs are very satisfying and doubles as a sweet midi controller. thing is built like a tank and feels as polished as an apple product. also it's aesthetic as fuck and has a fun interface for anyone of all music levels to use.

How do I achieve this aesthetic?
youtube.com/watch?v=-tTE-O5JVuU

Attached: synths.jpg (750x500, 128K)

You could also get an audio looper separately, something like a Boss Loop Station.

My vote's on the Kurzweil K2000. You want Analog leads? Complex wavetable pads? FM? A patch of a voice saying "ah no way" using formant synthesis? V.A.S.T.Has you covered. Here's a track programmed entirely on the K2000 with no other hardware present:

youtube.com/watch?v=eNEXj706ccc

Attached: $_86.jpg (920x398, 54K)

>he doesn't design an build his own modular polyphonic synths
>he doesn't design and build his own eurorack modules
this is how I know I'm on Jow Forums with the mouth breathing turbo brainlets. Depressing desu.

Barry Andrews pls go

just kidding, you can stay, if you write more songs like "Coelocanth"

this

Did you make that? Sounds great!

Polivoks is aesthetic

Attached: 1200px-Polivoks.jpg (1200x518, 147K)

I have the filter in a Eurorack module that uses genuine Soviet ICs. It's honestly kinda shit. The usable range on the knob is tiny, and there's this weird hump on the low pass near the beginning of the cutoff knob that makes filter sweeps impossible. I only keep it around 'cause it has a lot of character and that hump can actually make some interesting sounds. But as a general purpose filter it's pretty awful.

Oh no, i wish i made that... I just picked this as a track that showcases the complex sound modelling capabilities.

This beautiful piece of software.

Attached: 9D84C5BF-EF6A-4ED3-8102-D770255A6797.jpg (3024x2598, 1.94M)

My side hustle is making music for indie vidya and short film. I use a Minilogue for almost everything. The guy upthread who talked about the low end thinning out is right, but if you're running it through a DAW a sensible multiband compression will help a lot.

My main gripe with the Minilogue is the step sequencer - its not really suited to performance.

Anyone here play a Sub37 and want to shill it?