USB Help

Hi Jow Forums , I need some help.

I found this usb attached to my computer. I live alone but many friends come inside my room. I was wondering if there is any way to tell what this thing does. I am a little paranoid as you can tell.

Thanks.

Attached: weirdUSB.png (1279x955, 535K)

Other urls found in this thread:

devicehunt.com/view/type/usb/vendor/0E8F
eab.abime.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=52600&d=1490299967
raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=198122
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

remove the black casing

lsusb/Device manager

It doesn't seems like rubber duck so I would say it is some kind of USB receiver. Anyway carefully pull down the plastic and post detail foto of the chip here

It's a wireless USB connector for wireless mice and shit. It was probably attached to your computer the entire time but you never noticed.

It wasn't there before. My desktop has a mice and a keyboard and my Bluetooth receiver is larger.

Heres the pic:

Attached: weirdUSB2.png (2559x865, 2.8M)

looks like circuits and shit

i can't see a mic, it looks like hardware keylogger with some sort of antenna (probably wifi or bluetooth).

Can you see any of the chip numbers?

That's the same side of the usb, just flipped the opposite way (hairs on the plastic, spot on the metal). You don't want to flip it over because theres a logo on it.

It's a bluetooth dongle. Someone probably just wanted to use their own wireless mouse on the computer.

Bluetooth adapter

its the shit for a wireless keyboard or mouse

It's just a cheap wireless mouse / gamepad receiver.

it is merely a flash dongle

*zip disquette

That's what we in the industry call a "stubby stick drive", format C:\ and we Gucci

This

One of your friends tried to install gentoo on your machine

This. Fuck off op

I'm just stupid.. heres the other side.

People come into my room but they don't bring mice/keyboards inside, that's why it's fucking weird, theres no real reason for this thing to be here..

I can't see anything other whats in this pic.. I'm trying to remove the metal part but it can't really do it, trying though

Attached: weirdUSB3.png (3312x960, 2.86M)

is this from the hn thread?

Post PID/VID

I have a wifi adapter that looks exactly like that

OP here
VendorID 0e8f
ProductID 2517

Remove the metal piece to reveal more of the chip.
So far I see an oscillator, IC and probably some capacitors.
The 6 lines on the pcb might be used as antennas. Need to see more of chip.

Keyboard/mouse dongle. You are just paranoid.

Look identical to the receiver of my wireless mouse and keyboard.

Someone stuck an unknown hardware device in their machine. That's not paranoia.

No shit. It was pretty easy to guess and the PID/VID confirmed that.

If I made a hardware keylogger, I'd make it look similar too.

There, I took the metal part off.

so the PID/VID said something about what this is?

Attached: weirdUSB4.png (2366x960, 2.82M)

I like how they do the antenna.

Attached: 251c2fde36caa8db2088d1412ff31dd7.jpg (1920x3080, 720K)

looks like a wifi dongle you twat

Just fucking google 0e8f:2517 already. And you will see it's from GreenAsia Inc.

You will see people using that shit with some Raspberry Pi. Pretty good evidence that it's nothing malicious.

Also some other shit they make: devicehunt.com/view/type/usb/vendor/0E8F

And a WinUAE log with the same PID/VID: eab.abime.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=52600&d=1490299967

It didn't reveal much new, but here you have:
An IC, probably with computing ability and a small program on it. There's no saying what it does.
An antenna. Either for receiving or for sending, no way to tell.
Random components that are required for the IC to work.
That's all. So basically you have something that can possibly compute, save, load, send and receive over usb, send and receive over wireless.

One more: raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=198122

Lies.

Probably it's true. Because OP is always a fag.

OP Twat here...

Shit, mb.. thing is i'm not that tech saavy and since the PC didn't recognize the dongle and I wasnt given any Bluetooth/wifi capabilities by it and the computer already has bluetooth, wifi, keyboard, mouse and everything connected to it.. AND noone touches it for other than music, it seemed pretty fucking weird to me...

Thank you so much for your time, even though i still don't know for sure, tearing it apart and getting some info that people relate to harmless stuff makes me feel a lil better.

Probably either a wireless keyboard/mouse receiver or a Bluetooth adapter. There aren't a lot of things that small.

OP Twat continues:

Also, I remember my friends (the ones that hang out here) keylogging computers back in highschool.. so.. there's that

It's from some cheap wireless keyboard or mouse. Quality is shit just to keep costs down. Same goes for the device that you don't have.

Pretty hard do keylog shit because that's just a receiver. And nothing more.

It's for a wireless mouse.

There is one IC on board, I don't see an antenna, so I will assume this communicates to the internet via the computer itself (if at all).

My guess is it's a keylogger, one of your guests were probably trying to steal your passwords.

Those are through holes not antenna. The crystal is for USB communication.

The device can use the network connection on the computer itself. Literally no defenses against this in windows/macos/linux because it's assumed that if you connect something to your computer, you understand the risks a malicious device could contain.