Why do people put tape on their webcam which leaves disgusting sticky residue when they could just do this?

Why do people put tape on their webcam which leaves disgusting sticky residue when they could just do this?

Attached: Untitled.png (771x565, 46K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Management_Engine
libreboot.org/faq.html#intel
puri.sm/learn/intel-me/
thehackernews.com/2017/05/intel-amt-vulnerability.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

because then you cant virtue signal about how much you care about privacy

Hey Siri,

sudo apt please install gentoo-remove-webcam

Because if someone believe the small SoC embedded in your chipset can access the full network stack without an OS surpassing all other admin rights, etc. Then they probably also believe it would be fairly simple to have windows tell you the device is disabled, but have it be enabled for spying purposes without you being aware of it.

Most people don't know Device Manager exists. So yeah.

cause it makes me feel better at the end of the day

this

That's not how backdoors work.

Backdoors operate at a hardware level. Disabling it in software won't do anything. If you didn't want to deal with tape you could install a micro switch that cuts off the ground wire to the camera.

Because malicious software can edit the operating system settings too. Malicious software does not have the ability to commandeer nearby robotic arms and peel off the tape, though the IoT people are working hard on fixing this.

bad b8

Attached: 1538358335696.jpg (481x425, 30K)

Because UEFI-based backdoor can access your webcam without the OS noticing.

My based ThinkPad T480s with redpilled ThinkShutter doesnt have this problem

If you use 3M tape it doesn't, stop using cheap shit.

Anyone with a rudimentary EE knowledge could check if this is true, we'd know if it was

We do, you've just been living under a rock.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Management_Engine
libreboot.org/faq.html#intel
puri.sm/learn/intel-me/

Why isn't there any mainstream outrage then?

Because no one cares and everyone already thought they were being spied on since the 1960s, now that it's almost 70 years after the fact, pretty much everyone has grown up (in the US at least) with the idea that their communications are likely able to be monitored by the powers that be.

Depends how mainstream you mean. We've been talking about the ME on here for years and it's a frequent bitching topic across the tech space. It's a significant driver of the interest in RISC-V based systems.
If you mean in the proper mainstream, because nobody cares about computer security for whatever reason, also it's hard to keep outraging about something for ten years straight when your only alternatives are ancient machines, expensive POWER9 workstations and a handful of chromebooks. Hell, this happened and there still wasn't "mainstream outrage":
thehackernews.com/2017/05/intel-amt-vulnerability.html

Just grab a black board pen, I'll never get this tape meme

Use gaffer tape you dumb fuck. It's the whole point of it

We live in the age where people believe clicking on a GUI option will actually guarantee to have the desired effect. God help us all, we don't deserve to exist as a species.

nice try NSA

this, fucking tech newfags
you cant solve everything with software

The same reason nobody cared about the Snowden leaks. It just doesn't effect their lives. You assume the gov has your best interests and the national interests at heart and acts accordingly. For fucks sake we carry wiretaps in our pockets everywhere we go.

Security against state level actors is damn near impossible. Take a look at the Vault7 tools from a few years back. Shit is sophisticated, can breech airgaps and fucking send data over GSM to a phone using nothing but CPU. I'm not making that last one up, you can fucking turn a CPU into a broadcast device that operates over fucking GSM.

Then you have shit like 5 Eyes which enlarges the scope for intelligence and allows domestic collection.

Any computer can be compromised. FFS we have rubber hose cryptography. All modern privacy tools do is protect you against domestic/personal/corporate attacks.

Pic from the Snowden leaks.

Attached: 729xnsa301-copy-620x349[1].jpg (620x349, 57K)

LMAO
Your webcam doesn't have special lid XD

they can't check in your specific case if your specific machine has been compromised

>Why isn't there any mainstream outrage then?
because the people who manage this kind of stuff has the mainstream outraged at other things. it's a technique called misdirection, kid.

u mad? :^)

trusting SW

Attached: hahaha.jpg (562x437, 42K)

>virtue signaling
Not only are you a retard but you're also ignorant

>some postit note
seems legit