How did emulation become this good?

How did emulation become this good?

Dolphin is 10/10 software and makes 10 year old games look and feel better than new console games.

And we're now even getting to the point where PS3 titles become playable.

Attached: SF8E01-2.jpg (3840x2100, 475K)

Other urls found in this thread:

libretro.com/index.php/mednafenbeetle-psx-pgxp-arrives/
emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/ROM_&_ISO_Sites
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Dolphin is fucking shit

Please elaborate.

No.

The internet in a nutshell right here

look into pcsxr-pgxp, it'll blow your mind too

>How did emulation become this good?
>STILL waiting for a good Saturn emulator

Attached: nomorefeels.jpg (380x250, 12K)

Emulation is so fucking good.

Games are already starting to require internet access on consoles though, which will make this all hard or impossible.

>mumbles something incoherent about neon-haired trans girls and muh SJW

it's always been like this you triple nigger

That is pretty amazing, those bookshelves.

The naming of anything ps related is a mystery though, it seems like they just start with ps and then mash on their keyboard. How else would you come up with RPCS3, PPSSPP or pcsxr-pgxp?

Attached: vcd6eS2.png (3200x1200, 1.49M)

yeah, took me like a literal year to learn those 4 fucking letters
now I just google the words "parallel geometry transform(x?) pipeline" and it comes up, but you gotta remember how it works for that

the most impressive/important thing isn't the textures or anything you can see on a static image, it (mostly) removes the horrific jittery movement psx polygons always had

Dolphin isn’t SJW you faggot. That being said, Linux COC is an actual issue

Try to keep things in perspective. The PS3 is like 12~ year old hardware, the wii was the same time frame if I recall, but it was ridiculously low power even for the era. Your computer today is an absolute fucking monster in comparison. People have gotten really good at writing JIT compilers which helps speed up emulation as well.

People have found convenient ways to speed things up, and we're throwing those workloads at processors with a hundred times more performance.

The Wii was also an overclocked Gamecube with extra RAM and a bluetooth sensor.

PS3 is pretty impressive though since it has rather complex hardware. Not just a powerpc but this weird cell stuff as well.

The only thing interesting about the Cell BE was that they originally intended to process all SIMD instructions on it. Beyond that its just bad architecture.

>bad architecture
why? merging gpgpu and cpu sounds fucking awesome

>conduit 2 is still unplayable

For the thermal and power budget a larger GPU and straight forward CPU would have delivered better performance. The PS3 and 360 are both obnoxious cobbled together monstrosities of poor design.

fuck cemu

Attached: 1512881300589.png (889x942, 131K)

lmao, one can only hope.

Attached: no.jpg (236x214, 5K)

This looks like absolute shit.
If you emulate something stay true to the original.

I'm generally a purist in retro shit but pgxp is the neatest thing to come out of the emulation scene in many years. The polygon flickering and texture warping shit was just an ugly shitty limitation that nobody wanted, analogous to 2d slowdown when there are too many sprites on screen or sprite flickering.

that reddit fag is right because the exact thing happened with Saturn emulation and SSF. SSF had very good emulation for what, at least 10 years now? nobody has really taken Saturn emulation seriously until very recently because the shit has already been done. The only reason people are paying attention to other projects like Yabause is because everyone wants the extra bells and whistles: high resolution internal rendering, better texture filtering, shader support, not having to fucking mount images like a caveman, etc.

stop being a fucking salty brainlet

SSF and mednafen work fine

Maybe for consoles which native resolution was 240p, but from that onwards I would say it's pretty subjective. Granted I would rather play on a CRT if possible.

It might be hard to tell here, but with OpenGL, N64 games look way better than the original.

Attached: pj64.png (1616x1282, 1.46M)

Soul vs Soulless

real time waifu10x when

hopefully never

Reminder if you emulate without using filters you're doing it wrong.
This is what emulation looks like when you're a no filters "purist".

Attached: 1507856986908.png (1367x921, 37K)

Imagine wasting a decade of your life to run old games that nobody cares about. Game studios could just make this shit available, but they don't, because it doesn't help humanity in any way.

wow you are really cool. i bet your dick is huge

he's right you know

long but not wide

you are just now realizing that video game consoles are made on cheap & outdated hardware and marketed to plebs

games don't help humanity in any way, emulator authors wasting time is a small grievance compared to the amount of time the game developers waste

>amount of time the game developers waste
Developers don't do it for free. Everything these people try to emulate was meant to be a quick cash-grab decades ago.

And PC are made on expensive new technology and sold to plebs

What's your point

/thread

emulation of pleb hardware isn't an amazing achievement and OP is an easily impressed fag

>someone will pay for it = it's not a waste of time
false

Fuck off, gamer.

>How did emulation become this good?
Transmeta laid a lot of the groundwork in the early 00's in transpiling code even though they were not commercially successful.

>Saturn emulator
The architecture was batshit, but such was life in the age of early 3d.

Attached: Transmeta_logo.jpg (941x237, 19K)

> 2018
> no emulator can accurately process sound

You're on Jow Forums. I'm sure you've never done anything to help humanity

jokes on you my pc is like 10 years old

actually configuring a pi for all this shit, but I was really dissapointed with the default n64 emulator for retropi, just tested it actually it didn't look good all

however this looks damn good though, downloaded windwaker but didn't check it out before I called it the night.

shitposting is a philanthropic endeavor

why is ps2 emulators trash till this day?

this actually looks pretty good, again I didn't even check what emulator which just came with retropie/emulationstation on pi.

But whatever it was it fucking sucked ass, it was so horrible to look at. Hope it has this emulator too.

nah I remember playing n64 though in windows probably 12 years ago or so? it was smooth as fuck not the nightmare I had to endure here earlier with ocarnica of time. it wasn't anti aliased or anything ugh I don't even want to talk about it

Depends on the game you playh. i can play Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, GOd Hand and The Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner games with little to no hiccups, yet the first level of Summoner is literally a lagfest and when you beat it, PCSX2 crashes. I can sorta play Time Splitters, but it's slow as shit and unplayable in practice.

Wow cool really glad emugen decided to move to Jow Forums surely the drama will stay away now

Wow, what rats. Talking about crabs in a bucket. They aren't nearly as capable developers so they talk shit from a bullshit moral high horse safe and away on reddit.

Because it was never meant to be a full emulator.
It was made with the prospect of being a showcase that PS2 emulation is possible, emulating Final Fantasy games and ending it there.

Instead, it slowly got expanded to emulate X or Y game and the cycle repeated itself long enough with a big selection of people.
Eventually we ended up with a large spaghetti-code fest that no one wants to touch as to not break anything.

Basically, it's that hack you did and added a TODO: Do this properly! comment, but because it worked well enough, you never got to it.

A great example is the eye bug in Jak and Daxter/texture bug in Ratchet and Clank.
It was known the issue was with a lack of mip-map support for well over 5 years. Hoever, the team at the time said "Well, suck it up. It works in software and we'd have to change how the renderer works to fix it in hardware. And no one knows how that works well enough to do it."
Bullshit of the highest degree but there you have it.
And they finally fixed that. Well, a new GNU Frenchie. But with a hack, not said renderer rewrite.
Go figure.

This shit is fucking terrible, stop cranking up the resolution and anisotropic filtering too you triple nigger

i hope you're not talking about byuu

in all honesty computer (i'm talking desktop/laptop grade here) processors have become so powerful that emulating other platforms is not a burden for then... also as most newer consoles have moved to some kind of AMD APU the task should be simpler for those.

his post applies literally to every problem domain, nonfree software slows the progress and wastes people time.

There is this as well
libretro.com/index.php/mednafenbeetle-psx-pgxp-arrives/

>tfw n64 emulation is still shit

>still no emulator of any SGI machines capable of booting IRIX
>Indy and O2 support is super close but graphics board and SCSI emulation are incomplete
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Attached: 3409663657_74a298ec82_b.jpg (1024x681, 164K)

Honestly the Cell is nothing compared to the Emotion Engine.

The N64 emulators I've tried work fine except for games like the original Rogue Squadron.

So useless then?

do it yourself if you care so much, protip nobody gives a fuck

>do it yourself if you care so much
Insufficient documentation.
>protip nobody gives a fuck
t. buttmad /v/toddler

>emulation of pleb hardware isn't an amazing achievement
proper emulation of any complex hardware is an amazing achievement

where the fuck do you guys get roms now that nintendo got rid of emuparadise?

Dolphin is a legendary accomplishment what the fuck are you talking about?

emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/ROM_&_ISO_Sites

thanks, my guy. been wanting to replay some gamecube classics

that just makes Nintendo seem all the smarter.

LOL

Attached: cemu.png (440x111, 7K)

what is the context here? are they mad that CEMU rose in popularity and put emulation in the spotlight which also allowed for other groups to get funding for other emulators?

sounds like theyre salty that they didnt get the same recognition and patreon cash or am I wrong?

They don't do it because it doesn't help their profits

luckily the wii u is the least relevant console in history ever anyway

Transmeta? Binary translation dates back far longer, think 70's.

I always knew Linux users were cucks

Never really bothered with dolphin, but after all these years it seems to be a standard emulator that everyone is using. Maybe it'll worth a try.

Attached: based and redpilled.gif (367x219, 523K)

has better games than the wii

God I hate emulation fags, shit does not feel like the original game at all, it never does, it's soulless, I really doubt anyone has really played through a full game this way, there's always problems mid way through, just buy the 50 dollar console, those 6 or 7 4$ games that you want to play and keep a crt around to play them, the experience in a thousand hundred times better than fucking around your pc for hours trying to fix the hundreds of issues that you will eventually encounter, shit doesn't feel right at all.

Attached: RRZgToU.jpg (2400x1600, 573K)

>i still live in a small room in my parents house at age 35 the post

They are mad its closed source and they get patreon shekels for it while also trying to prevent piracy

I'm a 20yo zoomer and I don't live in bumfuck nowhere so I don't live in a crusty sears catalog house m8, just moved out a couple of months ago.

Still waiting for a good 360 emu.

>muh feel
>muh soul
Take off the goggles already faggot

Worse than audiofags and vinyl fags

>The only thing interesting about the Cell BE was that they originally intended to process all SIMD instructions on it
So it doesn't actually process all SIMD instructions on it? Does the PS3 need a GPU too?

What games have you actually played all the way through emulation?
Emulation is so fucking terrible on pc 80% of the time, you have to be playing the most mainstream game in that particular generation to actually have a semi decent experience and even then it's shit, it always is.
It never leads to actually playing the game more than saying "hey that's kind of neat" and you never actually play the full game because the experience is shit and it feels like shit.

ddddddrrrrrrrruuuuummmmmpfpfpfppftftfttt rrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

This

I'm pretty sure they can't release the source code, because they have a lot of decompiled nintendo code in there to make it work, and if they released it they would be sued to hell and back.

once i played through custom robo at 4k with no issues

I'm pretty sure that you are a dumbass. If what you say is true then nothing is going to prevent nintendo from "decompiling" cemu to look for similarities and then get their asses sued.

>People have gotten really good at writing JIT compilers
This, GPU JIT compilers.

It also nicely explains programming language economics.

And this is a loss because of which software?