Magstrip vs Chip

>get new credit card
>it has one of those "chips" europoors on Jow Forums keep raving about
>go to mcdonalds
>order two mcdoubles, a mcchicken, 20 chicken nuggets, 2 large fries, and a mcflurry
>attempt to slide the chip
>"you have to insert it in the slot underneath, sir"
>the slot takes 30 seconds to find
>60 more seconds for it to "verify"
>beeps when it's done
>go deaf from beeping
>by the time I get to a table, my food is cold and a random shooter has gunned down everyone in the restaurant
>have to tip the shooter
>he only accepts credit cards
>"you have to insert it in the slot underneath, sir"
>get shot because I can't find the slot in time
>now $130k in debt from hospital bills

How the fuck is this better?

Attached: 04cardchip4-articleLarge.jpg (600x400, 40K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio-frequency_identification
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>t. angry Englishman

Is this supposed to be funny?

Jokes on you, in euroop with new terminals it takes like 1 second for enter pin screen and like 2 seconds to confirm it, with info about removing card.

>not using Apple Pay

The chips are already old again. Modern bank cards have NFC integrated and allow you to pay as fast as with cash.

>when people are too stupid to know what NFC payments are even though they have been around for 6 years but they understand what Apple pay means

It doesn't work if your terminals are using dial up.
Also, everyone is using contactless now, takes literally one second.

All cards have NFC since 2 years ago at least.

Stale pasta ignore

Paying using NFC is a meme in America

Not in Europe though where the important humans live.

>go to france
>all my cards make me sign
>never had to sign
>signing isn't allowed in my home country for years
>taxi driver confused as why it's printing signature slips
>passes me tissue box to use to sign on
>go to hand back tissues
>no
>awkwardly sitting there with a tissue box waiting for my receipt

Wish VISA would get their shit together

>been tapping for everything in Australia for 6+ years

Even parking meters here have NFC

Still take my wallet out of habit from all that time earlier but just tap with phone now

>not using NFC
the absolute state of americans

Englishman here, we have contactless cards, there's no sliding involved. Maximum £30 for contactless though, otherwise you put it in the slot and put your pin in.

people in my country are literally calling contactless payment "the tap", it's infuriating

>work in retail
>tap there or insert
>see people literally place card onto reader but bend the fuck out of the back half
>complain cards don't last 3 years

We have wireless chips now. Just touch the cc on the machine and the payment goes through. Stay angry, faggot.

Contactless is retarded. Get the idea but it's not safe

Relax autismo that's what everyone calls it. Tap is a generic word for NFC is you ask someone if they have NFC they'll look at you strangely but if you say, you got tap? They'll reply oh yeah of course lol.

the only thing good about australia is the near cashless society

>have to tip someone for doing their job

>near cashless
>good
Cash will always be king for privacy-minded individuals

>money that has serial numbers
>atm's have cameras
>branches have cameras
>logs your withdrawals
>government knows your rego
>stores have cameras

Why do you give a shit? if they cared about what you bought you're not that hard to track it's just that no one gives a shit, not even the banks.

You give all your fucking info to 100 different things in life but suddenly using a debit/credit card is the privacy issue

>money that has serial numbers
Coins
>atm's have cameras
Masks
>branches have cameras
Good point
>logs your withdrawals
But not what you buy with it
>government knows your rego
What does a car registration have to do with this?
>stores have cameras
Also a good point

>Masks
your fat ass will still be instantly recognisable though

>if they cared about what you bought you're not that hard to track it's just that no one gives a shit, not even the banks.
They do, retard, Mastercard literally sells purchase data to Google so they can correlate with effective advertisement.

>not being able to control your cards security settings in realtime on your phone
why are you living in the past Jow Forums?

Attached: Screenshot (04.10.2018 15_48_57)-fs8.png (1080x1920, 70K)

>$current_year
>not using a contactless card

Attached: _85292090_contactlesspayment-9.jpg (660x371, 29K)

>go deaf from beeping
WHAT EUROPOOR HERE WHAT DID YOU SAY CANT HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF MY PURCHASES

> be burgerclap
> still don't have NFC tap payment
> even auscucks have it
FUCKING. SEETHING.

>go to france
tactical errors were made

>$current_year
>going into meatspace to purchase shit
luddites gonna hang

So you've not been in any store for any reason in the last 10 years?

This was definitely the case when they first were being rolled out, but the chip cards have gotten a lot faster. Contactless payment still works faster enough that I still get annoyed when I have to actually get out my card.

We have that everywhere; no idea what you're on about.

>contactless
>a machine can charge your card without even touching it
Foolproof. What could possibly go wrong?

That's why you use your phone, which will only allow transactions when you tell it to and will immediately show you how much the transaction was for.

Bad troll.
Apple Pay has no limit because there’s cardholder verification via your face/Touch ID/passcode.
This, although you shouldn’t shop at places with outdated terminals, just let them die.
America has always been behind the times on everything from Chip and Pin to 4G.
This is why smartphones are superior for contactless payments. Leave your card at home. Do not do business with stores that do not have modern payment facilities

>murica keeps using magswipe
>euros switch to chips because it's bettet
>it takes murica ~10 years to make the switch to chips
>meanwhile the rest of the world is already using contactless and smartphone payments on the reg
Why is America always lagging when it comes to payment technology?

You don't got tap to pay? NFC you can even use your phone?

Almost all chip terminals also do NFC over here. And Amazon exists, so I can ignore all this bullshit and have what I want dropped at my door instead half the time.

we have paywave here.
literally takes 2 seconds.
sucks to live with luddites huh.

>Not using bitcoin
>eating McShits
>proprietarycuck

>130k debt from hospital bills
Well this actually is the part I'm way more concerned about. We really need some kind of medicare for all / universal system like every other damn country has medical bankruptcy is only an American thing and it's fucking stupid. You shouldn't be one accident or being a victim of crime (things against your control) from being basically a debt slave .

OP is stupid for making this thread.
Anyhow, I hate when you get to a card reader and it has a chip reader but they tape over it and you're supposed to use the magswipe anyways, despite them being equip with chip readers, and chip transactions being safer for the business and the customer, they still don't use them because it "confuses customers"

It almost makes me want to illegally dupe peoples cards and use them.

Holy shit is america only just getting chips now? My parents had a credit card here in australia with a chip back in like 2001.

>has medical bankruptcy
>being basically a debt slave
I don't think you understand how bankruptcy works.

>get updated bank card
>it now has a chip and magstrip when before it only had mag
>stick card in the terminal since I'm not a retard
>pull it out and go to enter pin
>this cancels the transaction
wot is this silly shit?
does this mean all the details are held on the chip and never stored temporarily in the terminal like with magstrip?

Well my point is american healthcare is total horseshit.

I've had a chipped card in the US for decades, they're just now (last 5 years) rolling it out at point of sale terminals. For the longest time the only use my chip ever got was at the atm at my bank.

>australia
Its weird my visa had the chip years ago but bank cards only seem to be adding them now

Theoretically, chip is superior, since you can secure it with a pin; however, in practice, nobody in the US uses the pin (they don't come with them by default for most credit cards, you need to go online and set it up yourself). Not to mention, tons of places don't even have chip readers yet, so all the companies make their cards with both strip and chip for compatibility. Some places that DO have chip readers, have them disabled for whatever the fuck stupid reason (probably employees too retarded to learn how they work or lazy companies not setting up their systems to deal with it).

I've also seen tons of rednecks trying to use the new chip cards, being completely retarded about it, yelling when it doesn't work, then the cashier has to come over and handhold them through the process of paying for their shit. I just stand behind them wondering when I can get out of the fucking store. I'm ashamed to live in the US sometimes, I swear.

It's fucking contactless payment, when it first came out people called it "contactless". All the marketing calls it "contactless" and anyone with half a brain calls it "contactless". I don't know where the fuck "the tap" appeared from but it's an awful reductionist term

>nobody in the US uses the pin
what the actual fuck is this why people can just use a stolen card in murica?

Fuck off Karl, we're not paying for your sex change surgery

Actually I don't want a sex change I have actual medical problems and it's crazy how much it costs just to see a doctor for 10 minutes. Can't afford insurance

Originally, credit cards with magnetic strips in the US didn't have pins either, you just swipe the card and it's done. Pins are mostly an ATM thing for debit cards. Since people aren't used to it, the credit card companies didn't try to force it. It's bad enough getting people to change to using chip cards, imagine the backlash if they suddenly needed to enter a pin every time they buy something. They threw their hands up and said "fuck it! let's at least get them on the same technology as the rest of the world and worry about security later"

As for using stolen cards, yeah, you can, but that would be rather easy to track down, given the activity of every card is logged. There's a loophole you can exploit, which is to just steal credit cards and use them to load up Visa or Amazon gift cards. Note that I've never actually tried this (I am a white person), but the theory is sound.

>not having medical insurance
hahahahaha

First, you can just tap the card for that, just like Android/Apple pay. Second, it takes maximum 10 seconds to enter a pin and verify the purchase even for a retard like you who can't find the hole.

It's faster to say tap than contactless payment you sperg

>>by the time I get to a table, my food is cold and a random shooter has gunned down everyone in the restaurant
>>have to tip the shooter
>>he only accepts credit cards
>>"you have to insert it in the slot underneath, sir"
>>get shot because I can't find the slot in time

fucking kek

>be murrikan
>go to check out something from the mom and pop local grocery store
>insert chip
>dialup sounds begin to be heard
>oh God please no
>takes at least 30 seconds for it to process my payment

Yes, chips are the future, friends. Maybe we should focus on rolling out infrastructure everywhere before shoving chips down everyone's throats.

>reposted ancient troll thread
>already 55 posts
Remember when hiro was joking about hiring janitors and shit?

>attempt to slide the chip
>the slot takes 30 seconds to find
The absolute state of op

Attached: 1509894097321.jpg (915x300, 82K)

We had chip and pin for years, contactless and android pay/google pay have taken over now

most places subject to any amount of fraud from using stolen tap and go things have CCTV anyway. The banks also offer the option to put a hold on your card from the bank app on phone if you have lost your wallet.

also you may be able to go into a store and buy a gift card, but buying 10 is weird. The user of the stolen card doesnt even know how much money is on it. it might get them $100 but it wont work for long, police will have their photo etc. Buying a gift card from online requires an address.

you really cant do a lot of damage. maybe $1000 on purchases but the banks watch that shit and if u buy outside of normal hours because you have worked during 1pm mon-fri for the past 5 years they will actively watch the card and flag it if u dont buy alcohol for 10 years and suddenly do.

get my drift

>Coins
Forever be recognised as autist who carry few kg of coins
>>Masks
They know who fucking owns the account, retard. If it's your mommy's they might lock her out.
>Good point
You learned something today
>But not what you buy with it
They still know your spending habits and general location with time you cash out, think metadata
>What does a car registration have to do with this?
Example: street cameras can see you going out of your way to find atm that's not close to you. Making you that more suspicious
>>stores have cameras
>Also a good point

Just stop this is retarded as fuck

>two mcdoubles, a mcchicken, 20 chicken nuggets, 2 large fries, and a mcflurry
Did Everything you order are only for you or did you are dinner with 3 pals together?

And they allow anyone with your card to charge 20€ without having to enter the pin.

>everyone has been long using contactless
>amerimutts only now discover chips

Attached: 9E53A9E54A904108AC23EEB664CDC228.jpg (251x242, 15K)

fucking burgers

Contactless is great by the way.

Multiple
Times

The actual state of technology in the US :)
If it's not Apple, it is spooky! We don't need it!

>not disabling the card's NFC antenna by cutting it

Attached: 4fnb38b.jpg (125x104, 3K)

Yeah you need physical access to the specific card to verify security, can't use skimmers and blanks.

It's also faster to call you a fag than a faggot, fag.

And that's why you said it. You realise you just confirmed my point?

Fucking jej

>still making physical contact with the terminal
life must suck in shithole countries

Attached: In-Australia-Contactless-Payment-is-the-Way-to-Go.jpg (691x461, 157K)

Pay cash you fucking pleb

1)Entering PIN on POS
2) POS sends MAC(pin, secret key) to the card chip
Asks: is this okay, card?
3) Card checks if the MAC is correct by using the shared secret key
Answer: Yes, sir, take this nigga's money
4) POS: Kkay

Maybe for Americans.

It is safe, the key length of the latest cards is long enough, only side-channel attacks are applicable and with the latest generation of chips, they are reduced to minimum, too

>be retarded
>lose contactless card
>get notification that some random ass dude payed 24.99 with my card
>lock it
Oh wow, such damage.

>anything under $20
>tap my card and leave the millisecond I see “approved”
>anything over
>insert my card with absolute precision because it’s muscle memory
>takes 7 seconds at most including PIN entry

Not having a chip probably isn’t a problem in America where you don’t have a million people trying to clone your MagStripe,

faggot

Only ATMs in nigger countries still authenticate only with the mag stripe, in the white countries it is Chip + PIN nigga

What powers the card chip?

Electromagnetic field generated from the POS
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio-frequency_identification

This doesn't include the $3k ambulance bill

Attached: CSBill1.png (650x866, 762K)

Why are we having this conversation? Use cash.
>"user! This is a stick-up. Give me all your cash!
>give cash, pull out gun and shoot in head
>take back cash
inb4 europoor in rights jelousy

What the fuck happened to this dude?

Severed multiple limbs or something?

>on Jow Forums
probably transitioning surgery

>lose card
>block it in app
>bank sends a new one within 48h

Attached: 454321654651621.png (275x200, 19K)

> be on Jow Forums
> promote contactless
the absolute state...

>slot takes 30 seconds to find
dopey cunt

Any suspicious debit is automatically refunded by the bank, unless the guy who debited your card can prove you actually purchased anything using his EPT (which is registered and traced).

>as fast as with cash

order of magnitude faster