IT'S OVER SUPERMICRO IS FINISHED

IT'S OVER SUPERMICRO IS FINISHED

Attached: SMCI.png (985x663, 50K)

Other urls found in this thread:

arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/02/apple-axed-supermicro-servers-from-datacenters-because-of-bad-firmware-update/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

based chinks

Just a dip

Attached: file.png (1504x560, 38K)

BUY NOW

Who?

Literally this.

Oversold

That's AMD stock, but it's actually pretty healthy, and testing a resistance right now - there are a lot of positive buy signals - it's an easy 10 - 15% gain in 2 weeks maybe a month.

quick rundown?

Attached: 1517483975801.jpg (328x353, 21K)

AYY LMAO
Y
Y

Not really around 400 mil usd volume in the last 3 days mostly selling of course, but there was a 700 + mil volume in 3 days when price was doing nothing, these are just indications of it being pretty healthy and going back.

the whole semiconductor sector is down today (PHLX)

They were caught putting Chinese spy chips on server boards

Supermicro is an American company

Yeah and like every US tech company it produces nothing within the US

>PHLX
Ty, you've widened my view now. Had no idea to even start monitoring such indices but now one simple idea you gave me might've opened the road to a profitable next year - ty user !

Chinese sigint implants, kind of like the NSA's "interdiction" operations, but bad because it's China -- and I mean that quite unironically; fuck the Chinese.

>Supermicro is an American company
>Founders: Charles Liang, Sara Liu, Yih-shyan Wally Liaw, Liang Chiu-chu Sara Liu

Attached: 1507118402014.png (600x600, 116K)

This post is correct.
American companies all have jewish founders

Just like Cisco and other american companies put backdoors in their hardware.

What's the big deal? That this time China is the one doing it?

Attached: 1520952205571.png (442x353, 130K)

Yes. Anyone who thinks China and America are equally are either A) Chinese, B) have no idea WTF their talking about, or both. I lived in China for 4 years and I learned how shit the culture and ideology is there. People bitch about America's foreign policy, but just wait until China is the global hegemon.

Unknown Chinese hardware backdoor found in Supermicro semiconductors. Roughly the size of a grain, creates a backdoor to the machine interfaced to whatever Supermicro has produced.

RIP Supermicro, chink botnet found.

>Lisa Su
>Jensen Huang

>jewish companies all have jewish founders
You don't say

t. Jaundiced English teather

>That this time China is the one doing it?

Pretty much, yeah.

Not gonna lie, that was me. All the hairy Chinese muff I got *almost* made up for having to live in China though.

lies

Attached: Screenshot_20181004_182458.png (1055x304, 43K)

So how can such a small chip do anything?
Can someone explain?

Yea I've twisted opened threads around, image was meant for an AMD thread.

Attached: file.png (1491x611, 49K)

that makes sense

>The majority of its workforce in San Jose is Taiwanese or Chinese, and Mandarin is the preferred language, with hanzi filling the whiteboards, according to six former employees. Chinese pastries are delivered every week, and many routine calls are done twice, once for English-only workers and again in Mandarin. The latter are more productive, according to people who’ve been on both. These overseas ties, especially the widespread use of Mandarin, would have made it easier for China to gain an understanding of Supermicro’s operations and potentially to infiltrate the company. (A U.S. official says the government’s probe is still examining whether spies were planted inside Supermicro or other American companies to aid the attack.)

It might be just FUD to tank chink economy
Which would be absolutely based&redpilled

>lisa su is the founder of AMD

THE ABSOLUTE STATE

Do you know how dense a modern flash are? You can pack 500+ GB in a small microSD card.

Running a custom os inside a grain sized would maybe only require tiny amount of data maybe few kbs or even mb in size. This allows the tiny chip to essentially listen to and control any traffic in the computer.

Inte's ME runs Minix and can potentially use it to steal corporate/state data and use host computer's internet without anyone realizing it.

This tiny chip can probably do something similar, but this was made for corporate(amazon/apple/etc)/government espionage by China.

Its a national disaster. Any of the corporates would want to downplay the seriousness of this issue because it will dramatically affect their sales/security. What the US/west needs is a strong domestic semi-conductor factories if they want security.

LMAO

>Running a custom os inside a grain sized would maybe only require tiny amount of data maybe few kbs or even mb in size.

stopped reading there, you are fucking retarded

Supermicro is one of the "trusted" Chinese company. Now that trust is dead LMAO.

> I learned how shit the culture and ideology is there
Stock tanks definitely not because of the ideology, but because "bad guys" are caught red-handed and SM cooperates with them.

>strong domestic semi-conductor factories
APPLE APPLE APPLE APPLE APPLE APPLE APPLE APPLE APPLE APPLE APPLE APPLE APPLE APPLE APPLE APPLE APPLE APPLE APPLE APPLE APPLE APPLE APPLE APPLE

Here's the reason.

Attached: t.webm (1900x654, 555K)

how is this legal
when are they suing bloombergenstein

Its one government vs another government. Who has the legal authority? WTO? US is probably going to pull out of it.

lmao you deluded cuck, read up on intel ME and AMD secure platform

in this case the "bad guys" were Chinese government spy operatives

>intlel chips
kek

AMD has shifted to TSMC.

Explain more.

HOLY CHEESE PIZZA IT'S REAL

>The companies’ denials are countered by six current and former senior national security officials, who—in conversations that began during the Obama administration and continued under the Trump administration—detailed the discovery of the chips and the government’s investigation. One of those officials and two people inside AWS provided extensive information on how the attack played out at Elemental and Amazon; the official and one of the insiders also described Amazon’s cooperation with the government investigation. In addition to the three Apple insiders, four of the six U.S. officials confirmed that Apple was a victim. In all, 17 people confirmed the manipulation of Supermicro’s hardware and other elements of the attacks. The sources were granted anonymity because of the sensitive, and in some cases classified, nature of the information.

>One government official says China’s goal was long-term access to high-value corporate secrets and sensitive government networks. No consumer data is known to have been stolen.

Read the news. Jow Forums catalog. Its everywhere in the tech news world right now.

this is why we need libre hardware. it's also funny to see the jews get fucked by their own greed. if they had supported the american semiconductor manufacturing industry instead of leaving it to die this would have never happened. it's always astounds me how the government is willing to accept chinkshit chips "because its cheap" and "china is de only big manfucturer nao"

chinese state intel have been inserting tiny microchips into supermicro motherboards

In some cases the chips were so small they could be fit into the pcb without detection

These motherboards have been used by Amazon, Apple, the NSA etc

Based China fighting the imperialists

the pull out method doesn't work

haha, penis

someone email this to Lord RMS. maybe this will convince him to push harder for fully free hardware instead of using ancient ones with shitty drivers

it's shit like this that's makes me avoid anything IOT related like the fucking plague, but the way society has been going that train is not stopping for anything

Attached: 1536526975555.png (525x806, 716K)

>this is why we need libre hardware
wrong
libre hardware wouldn't solve this
you could release a trustworthy spec, but secretly rig the actual manufacturing, and the only way to detect it would be reverse-engineering - just like with proprietary hardware
libre hardware doesn't solve a single thing in this case

This is why we need green PCBs, outlaw black gamer trash

Attached: Fujitsu S26361-D2542-A10.jpg (1523x801, 508K)

Once again proving that technology companies have nothing to gain by working with government agencies on security.

>Your supply chain and assembly subcontractors backdoors your products

NOTHING PERSONAL, KID

>israel mutt jews btfo'd by yellow jews

Y-you're all just paranoid tinfoil hate crazies. This is impractical and improbable! You think these large corperations and government would just let that happen, h-hah ha yeah right. You're not smarter than the NSA!

Attached: nervouscat1.gif (150x150, 35K)

why doesn't USA locally manufacture equipment needed to be used in security critical operations like the NSA? it might cost you a lot but it's better than having your shit leaked to china all the time

Unfortunately, this is correct. Libre hardware helps with other security concerns but not this issue. What is needed are domestic electronics manufacturing and assembly at facilities that can be independently inspected and audited

SUPERMICRO

I'LL TAKE THE SOUP

Attached: 1498889345173.jpg (671x665, 62K)

I fully support the chink menace

What are the mechanics of exfiltration though? Doesn't the OS manage the TCP stack? If these chips can establish outbound connections the OS doesn't know about, how do they not break the OS's traffic management? Are they running at wire speed just in front of the NIC? If they do make the connections, wouldn't they light up on a firewall immediately? I accept that it happens, but I don't get it.

This as well as detriments in other foreign services/markets/products is why the US is implementing all these tariffs and taxes. But people never want to focus on that part.

The argument from the consumers is that it's cheaper so of course we'll buy it, but then they and their own customers complain about quality, lack of jobs, etc.

If they won't stop buying it on their own, the government steps in and makes locally made products/services, etc. the cheapest option. At that point, it's up the the people of the nation to decide if they want to fuck themselves over with poor quality. Obviously, other countries have no reason to care about most export clients.

Its a smear campaign

BUY

I'm investing today. Unironically.

The US military and intelligence community does use some things produced domestically, but they are super niche like Stingrays and electronic warfare equipment. That equipment is already so niche that it is expensive to manufacture so making it domestically doesn't increase its cost that much relatively. General consumer and enterprise products aren't niche so there is an economy of scale effect lowering it's price. This means bean counters who only look at price and not risk and opportunity cost pick the cheapest option.

somehow I don't believe this

the chinks were stupid enough to let the NSA take over their secret communications networks (search "edward snowden shotgiant"), there's no way they can come up with anything like this. they are dumb as rocks

The pursuit of profit is endless, and that profit has to come from somewhere. Unless the US decides to employ a sizeable percentage of the population as slave labourers, it will never cost less than manufacturing in China.

How can they access BMC? Because any data to/from from BMC is not encrypted so if hardware backdoors can attach itself to BMC, its gameover for any computer.

There are some early efforts to fix this issue, but its not on the priority list for corporates/intel.

Attached: Untitled.jpg (702x499, 71K)

Are they sure that only SM was compromised? Are HPE, for example, uses different chinks for manufacturing?

Didn't Apple and other companies that were supposedly "the victim" say that no such thing happened? Time to buy the dip bois

arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/02/apple-axed-supermicro-servers-from-datacenters-because-of-bad-firmware-update/

They dumped supermicro back in 2017 for "firmware." Chances are thats a codeword for hardware backdoor. Its easier to sell to the media about firmware backdoor than hardware backdoor. One requires software update, other requires buying new device entirely.

I wonder if the problem centeres around the fact that people aren't willing to work but since we have so many unemployed, people are for whatever reason against automation at the fear of it taking more jobs. As if people want to work anyway.
It doesn't seem unreasonable to make a machine that can replicate the effort of a starving Chinese child and still make profit long term.

Or reinstate child labor while reducing the minimum wage. Let chaos sort it out.

>They dumped supermicro back in 2017 for "firmware."
I know you have no reason to trust me but I have heard people that I trust, come to the same conclusion that the firmware was terrible.

I wonder though, now that they know the existence of this device on these boards, could they get away with simply snapping the little bastard off without wrecking the rest of the board?

How sad. Supermicro made great boards, 10x superior to gaymer shit.

Probably, we'd need someone to test it out.

>supermicro not on robinhood.

shame

That helps.

>As well as using a separate dedicated management LAN connection, IPMI also allows implementation of a so-called "side-band" management LAN connection. This connection utilizes a System Management Bus (SMBUS) interface between the BMC (Baseboard Management Controller) and the board Network Interface Controller (NIC). This solution has the advantage of reduced costs but also provides limited bandwidth – sufficient for text console redirection but not for video redirection.

>Physical interfaces to the BMC include SMBuses, an RS-232 serial console, address and data lines and an Intelligent Platform Management Bus (IPMB), that enables the BMC to accept IPMI request messages from other management controllers in the system.

Damn.

The exact thing you mentioned - network firewalls would detect this - is how amazon probably figured out what was going on in the first place. Alternatively, these things are still in sleeper mode and the C&C signal hasnt been sent to cause any activation or suspicious network traffic yet.

>>American investigators eventually figured out who else had been hit. Since the implanted chips were designed to ping anonymous computers on the internet for further instructions, operatives could hack those computers to identify others who’d been affected. Although the investigators couldn’t be sure they’d found every victim, a person familiar with the U.S. probe says they ultimately concluded that the number was almost 30 companies.

These things are already active, atleast some of them are, active and pinging to some ip address for further instructions.

Not only that, they don't know how large the scope of backdoors are now. New variants of the backdoor are much smaller than the previous ones and might require micro scoping tools to detect them rather than eye inspection that old ones can be detected with.

>Amazon’s security team conducted its own investigation into AWS’s Beijing facilities and found altered motherboards there as well, including more sophisticated designs than they’d previously encountered. In one case, the malicious chips were thin enough that they’d been embedded between the layers of fiberglass onto which the other components were attached, according to one person who saw pictures of the chips.

The only sure way to fix this is to simply build a new supply chain outside of china, possibly back in the states for automated motherboard manufacturing.

Would Libre hardware make it easier to detect at least?

yeah, then the NSA can implant their own chips instead of this foreign chinkery.

Not that user but not exactly.
It would suffer from the Ken Thompson compiler problem ("trusting trust"). How would you test anything without prior tools? If you're using existing tools, how can you trust them?

As well as the existing open source problem.
People assume that because something is open, that someone has audited it, or that because someone has audited something, that they did a proper job.

It's a giant effort where you have to start from scratch, yourself, just to find out if something is worth using. And you have to do it yourself to be sure.

Possibly, but only sure way is to develop the hardware outside of China.

This was a Taiwanese-American company that used chinese contracted factory who had installed the chip on these motherboards.

Impossible, you could do the assembly but any non trivial semiconductor needs billions in manufacturing and is basically a huge black box.

>chinese contracted factory who had installed the chip on these motherboards.
Wouldn't Supermicro still have to design these chips in? It's not trivial adding something like this into a complete design, without the engineering team knowing

I don't think it helps in this case, since the Libre design can be corrupted on assembly in these (practically) undetectable ways. You have to be able to trust the manufacturing line, irrespective of the specified hardware.

You think the Chinese government doesn't have an engineering team for motherboard infiltration? Especially when these factories are given all the schematics to produce them? The factories which are run with PRC loyal employees?

This is not a single person actor. Its an entire nation actor designed for corporate/government espionage.

Even a standard motherboard competitor(they probably have dozens and dozens of different companies) in China have all the expertise they need to modify motherboards on the fly.

I'm more thinking Supermicro would definitely notice it when they get their engineering samples back with shit they didn't design in there

People only see what they want to see. If the contracted factory employees are in on it, then they will ignore the additional tiny chip added. With the latest ones getting tiner and tiner, they don't even have to know about it.

Once it passes the "QC" in china, it then goes to QC in the US. Which makes sures certain parts are in the right place/etc. Hardware backdoors are rare, so most people dont look for it either consciously or unconsciously because they dont know what to look for.