I want to make this a thing

I want to make this a thing.

/hg/ - Haiku general

What is Haiku?

>haiku-os.org

What is Haiku?
Haiku is a fast, efficient, easy to use and lean open source operating system inspired by the BeOS that specifically targets personal computing. It is also the name of the project that develops and promotes Haiku the operating system.

Why isn’t it called HaikuOS?
The name of the project is simply “Haiku”. Unfortunately, despite numerous attempts, the registration of haiku.org has not been possible; hence the reason for haiku-os.org.

s Haiku based on Linux?
Haiku is not a Linux distribution, nor does it use the Linux kernel.

Why not Linux?
Linux-based distributions stack up software – the Linux kernel, the X Window System, and various DEs with disparate toolkits such as GTK+ and Qt – that do not necessarily share the same guidelines and/or goals. This lack of consistency and overall vision manifests itself in increased complexity, insufficient integration, and inefficient solutions, making the use of your computer more complicated than it should actually be.

Instead, Haiku has a single focus on personal computing and is driven by a unified vision for the whole OS. That, we believe, enables Haiku to provide a leaner, cleaner and more efficient system capable of providing a better user experience that is simple and uniform throughout.

Is Haiku then based on BeOS?
Haiku reimplements both the BeOS technologies as well as the end user experience, but it is far from being based on BeOS from a code base perspective. The only BeOS code that has made it into Haiku are Tracker and the Deskbar (the file manager and the equivalent of the start menu/taskbar, respectively). These were open sourced by Be Inc. back in 2001, later forked under the OpenTracker project, and eventually merged into the Haiku code base. The rest is either homebuilt code or derivatives of existing open source software.

Attached: 7e17a08663e17abc914c14fae28045dc7dfa2725.jpg (1920x1080, 541K)

Other urls found in this thread:

magic931.com.au/shows/breakfast/80500-kanye-west-releasing-and-operating-system
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>I want to make this a thing.
Please don't. We don't need any more forced faggy generals.
Maybe go check out Reddit, this would fit in there.

Haiku in VirtualBox under Win10 often feels snappier than the host it's running on.

t. use a Haiku VM on a second monitor for funposting at work

I really want to try this, how much software/hardware does it support right now?
As much as I enjoy Gahnoo/Linix, it's good to see a FOSS OS specifically designed and integrated for desktop use.

It works just fine on my X230.

There is emacs, Vim, Qt5, libreoffice, blender, krita, various media players, and screen fetch for shitposting.

There's no multimonitor support or 3D accel, and sound drivers often don't work. If your hardware DOES work, it's great. I'm using it in virtualbox right now since I can't nuke Win10 from my work PC just yet.

>emacs, Vim, Qt5, libreoffice

i think i just came.

no, wait, it's pee.

nad tatrou sa blýska

The godot game engine also exists for haiku.

very suspicious chain of events

Big if true

Right now it pulls drivers from FreeBSD (9 iirc)... So it will work with whatever works on FreeBSD.

Some of the generals are rather comfy, such as the /cyb/ general. A few just noodles around in circles like the watch general. So why not give this a chance and see if it reaches 310?

Most of the time you could just open a normal thread.

first the linus/tranny thing, then constant shilling, now a sudden beta after an user said they wished there was one

smells like cia niggers to me

Things were good. Luke got the gang to use arch linux and with the AUR and the wiki it seemed like this could finally replace windows. Even the gamers were happy with Wendel's PCIE passthrough for their VMs. Then the COC happened and everyone lost their shit over political tweets that had nothing to do with computers. Now the community is once again fragmented, into hopeless divisions, BSD, HAIKU, and other total wastes of time.

Is it a bsd or something else?

Updated to 11 recently and the devs are also starting to look at OpenBSD code, esp. for implementing 3D accel.

This is actually good for the open source community. You may not like it but it's true. AT&T Unix and their poorly made utilities led to the creation of GNU. The problems with Unix and Minix led to the creation of Linux. The restrictive licensing of Unix led to the creation of BSD. The utter shittiness of Windows and early MacOS versions led to the creation of alternative window managers and desktops built on top of X for Linux and BSD to make them suitable for desktop use.

If Linux is destroyed and we have to start over we'll just end up with something even better about a decade down the road or less. It's this kind of hardship and struggle as a community which leads to real innovation and real change. Now is the perfect time for a microkernel system built on seL4, which eliminates most of the problems seen in previous microkernel systems.

Haiku is close to being a microkernel system, so it's a good start. It also has a consistent and well made UI. The problem is that it's a single user system with massively insecure networking out of the box. It needs proper separation of users and tasks, and it needs to have better security mechanisms built into it.

Are you saying they're using FreeBSD 11 drivers? Does this mean that there's finally a RNDIS implementation that works?

Attached: 1538617048121.jpg (370x400, 113K)

If you're not an OS/Kernel dev Haiku is a meme right now. Less than 10 years ago, but it's still not very useful to the end user.
If I ever look up how to develop kernel modules or Nouveau style video drivers I'll probably gravitate towards Haiku, but that'll probably never happen since I'm a lazy nigger.

There's no USB NIC support yet but it's relatively close on the roadmap. RNDIS/cdc_ether will definitely allow tethering a Haiku machine to a laptop.

*tethering a Haiku laptop to a phone

Nice. I'm glad they're at least working on it. I have some older machines I'd like to use Haiku on and they do boot the system just fine. It's just that my router is too far away so I need a wireless connection. Some are Ethernet only, others have incompatible wireless cards.

>some genersals are comfy
cringed, filtered, and saged

>it's just that my router is too far away
So... Run cables?

I'm not in the mood to drill holes in my walls or in my floor just to run Ethernet cables when I don't even have a good reason for it. Wireless networking is fast enough for my needs. I'd rather just tether my phone over USB or use one of my USB adapters.

Just run them along the baseboards and use tape or staples to secure them. No drilling needed.

>girlfriend comes home
>walks down the hallway and nearly trips
>"honey why are there a bunch of cables all over the floor?"
>"well, you see, I'm running this experimental system without an RNDIS driver on a system without wireless networking hardware..."
Yeah, no.

>having to justify network infrastructure in your own home
>to some hole you're not even married to
Cuck

Generals are gay as fuck.
Have a thread about haiku if you want but don't call it a general it's so fucking gay

I'm not going to fucking run Ethernet cables all over my house you fucking NEET. That's dumb. The Unix philosophy applies to shit in real life, too. Do it right or don't do it at all.

Kanye west making os
magic931.com.au/shows/breakfast/80500-kanye-west-releasing-and-operating-system
Also he write a book.
Hmm

Attached: SmartSelect_20181004-200135_Chrome.jpg (1417x1007, 179K)

Funny, that's exactly why I do properly managed cabling and separate my router, modem, switches, and AP into separate devices.

>fast, efficient, easy to use and lean
Nice meme words. Of course it's fast when it doesn't have half the features that other systems do.

I think I'm going to start making Haiku generals.

Haiku is multiuser internally but retains single user mode to maintain backwards compatibility with BeOS. The devs are talking about forking the 64 bit Haiku for modern applications.

How would that work? How does OpenBSD's graphics implementation differ from Linux's and Haiku's?

Basically Linux developed a bunch of APIs for graphics hardware (DRI/DRM). FreeBSD grafted those into its own kernel with a bunch of glue code. OpenBSD made its own (saner) APIs and adapted Mesa to use them. The Haiku devs are now looking at a more OpenBSD style approach to avoid two layers of glue code (Linux -> FreeBSD -> Haiku).

>Haiku is multiuser internally but retains single user mode to maintain backwards compatibility with BeOS
That's one of my main gripes with it. The underlying architecture at least on the 64-bit version is extremely modern. I still don't understand why they don't just focus on making it a modern system for the end user and make it more Unix-like. BeOS compatibility doesn't even matter on the 64-bit version. Real BeOS only ever ran on x86 and PPC.

For R1 it reduces complexity. The i586 port is still gcc 2.95 and BeOS binary compatible. For R2 the legacy port will be dropped entirely. Focus will be on amd64 and RISC platforms.

>and RISC platforms
MY BODY IS READY

They want BeOS apps. They're probably going to focus on that after R1, which I hope comes soon.

>They want BeOS apps
Did anything of value even run on BeOS? I've ran it in an emulator and for its time it had some neat features and was pretty efficient. Haiku OS is the same way but from what I can tell it has way more software support and a larger community.

There are already ARM and PPC ports in tree, but focus has been on x86 for R1. They don't even build successfully all the time. The good news is that once there's a way to port GPU kernel drivers from Linux or BSD, we could see a lightning fast ARMv7 or ARM64 port for the Raspberry Pi with full open source driver support.

There are some old BeOS binaries actually in Haiku's package manager, like Wonderbrush, and IIRC that's how it has VirtualBox guest extensions for i586 but not x86_64.

The beta decision was made months before the trannyCoC issue happened.

It had some useful stuff at the time, and open source clones were made from them I think.

How do I change the default decorator?

I was fucking around and finally compiled the MacDecorator and I want to use it, but I don't know how to enable the damn thing.

nvm did it

Attached: screenshot2.png (1366x768, 511K)

Holy shit that looks comfy. But doesn't it interfere with the native stacking/tiling that the window manager does?

It disables s&t entirely, as it is not implemented in this decorator. One have to code it in.

its own thing.
But it does use FreeBSD drivers for wireless.

>microkernel
I think its hybrid if i remember correctly

I think haiku is a nice way of learning OS dev.

It's important to understand that a "hybrid" kernel architecture means it's still a microkernel, just a different kind. It means that there are multiple programs running in kernel space and maybe some pieces of the kernel can be loaded in user space. But things like networking or file systems may be implemented as their own smaller kernel. In a monolithic kernel like Linux everything is implemented in one kernel, though it may have loadable driver modules.

Haiku is basically a hybrid microkernel system, similar to Windows NT or the XNU kernel in iOS and macOS.

oh i see, thanks user